FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/73589-cigarettes-alcohol-addiction.html)

Arnold 06-11-2005 09:19 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

Ward Abbott 06-11-2005 09:44 PM

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
deprive myself of anything.

You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
a cigarette.

A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.

kilikini 06-11-2005 09:47 PM

"Ward Abbott" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
deprive myself of anything.

You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
a cigarette.

A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.

I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I drink,
so........

kili

Arnold 06-11-2005 10:02 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

For me the two are closely related, I smoke a hell of a lot more when
drinking.

I agree with the positive approach whereby you feel that you are not giving
up something, but more like convincing yourself that 'I don't want to
smoke/drink anymore'. The problem is I love it. Although, I can see why
people thing that smokers and drinkers are just nuts and I agree!

I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

sf 06-11-2005 10:07 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact09.html
http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4753

Good Luck and keep yourself going with this:
http://www.quitmeter.com/

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-11-2005 10:17 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

[...]

I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at one
point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
the more I drank.

I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.

Hope that helps?
--
Om.

Ward Abbott 06-11-2005 10:23 PM

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:02:04 -0000, "Arnold" wrote:

I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
behavior.

Spicy foods trigger nicotine cravings. You need to alter your diet
at the same time you alter your behavior. BUT DON"T try to stop
drinking at the same time. You can only handle one at a time. They
say that smoking is the more difficult thing to stop....but I believe
alcohol is more crippling.

~patches~ 06-11-2005 10:24 PM

Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

When I was dating DH eons ago, I dabbled in smoking. Back then it was a
cool thing to do. DH then current fiance hated everything about smoking
and would regularly destroy whole packs of my cigarettes. At that time
they were about $2 a pack. I decided the hassles and the cost of wasted
cigarettes were not worth it and besides I was head over hills in love
with him. I gave up the cigarettes and we've had peace & harmony ever
since - at least on the smoking issue ;) To this day we don't even
allow smoking in our house. I've never regretted quitting smoking. We
have always used alcohol in moderation and I cook with a variety of
alcohols. As a female, I am very careful to stay within the Canadian
safe guidelines to alcohol consumption. It wouldn't bother me to go
without drinking alcohol. It would bother me more to go without using
alcohol in certain dishes but if I had to I would.

Do you mind if I ask you if you are struggling with one or the other or
both? The thing is with either it is not just about will power as there
are physical withdrawl symptoms to deal with. There are several herbs
that will help with either or both. Camomile will help curb the
jitters, anxiety, and overall restlessness from either withdrawl. Milk
thistle should be used by anyone who consumes alcohol regardless of how
much. There are other herbs that will help, just do a google search.
If you are/were a heavy alcohol consumer, alcohol abuser, or alcoholic
you should seek medical help before quitting as there can be serious
side effects. You will also need proper assessment of nutritional
deficits. If you were just drinking more than you were comfortable
with, vit B especially thiamine is recommended as is zinc. A proper,
healthy diet rich in fruits & veggies is recommended for overcoming
either addiction. Other vitamins are recommended especially the
anti-oxidants and vit E. A higher carb, lower protein is recommended
for overcoming alcohol addiction. Caffeine should be avoided or
eliminated during withdrawl as caffeine is a drug itself and will
increase the anxiety. However if you are a heavy coffee or tea drinker,
suddenly eliminating that will cause another set of withdrawl symptoms.
There is a lot of info on the web to help you with this.

kilikini 06-11-2005 10:26 PM

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually gasp!
cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
don't leave home without it.

kili -----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

TFM® 06-11-2005 10:26 PM

Arnold wrote:
Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

Quitters never win!

But seriously, I gave up cigarettes hundreds of times.

Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
interesting.

TFM®

kilikini 06-11-2005 10:27 PM

"Arnold" wrote in message
Wow "kilikini", that's amazing. There must have been some motivation

behind
this?

Money factor, maybe. I smoked on and off for 20 years, 2 packs a day and
decided enough was enough. I wanted more money for beer. So, I quit and
haven't looked back since. Don't miss it a bit.

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 10:28 PM

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
"kilikini" wrote:

[...]

Take your milk thistle, drink all you want and don't obsess over it. That's
my rule.

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 10:34 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
"Arnold" looking for trouble wrote in
:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

The willpower will always be a struggle. I'm still fighting with tobacco
addiction. I have pretty much quit but about once a week I find myself
cheating. I quit by using the patch and Wellbutrin. Alcohol is another
issue. I strongly suggest a 30 day inpatient treatment. I had been
downing prescription meds and drinking on top of that for almost 2 years.
I finally got to a breaking point emotionally. I checked into the place
the entire month of June. It was the most relaxing, informative 30 days
I've ever spent. I got to do a lot of horseback riding, biking and general
healing. The food was lousy but nutritional. I got hooked on a board game
called Rumy Cube. I still play with others that were in treatment the same
time I was. All live in the Missouri area and we get together about once

month. UGH... one of my rehab pals owns a chain of Ci Ci's Pizza Parlors.
She has 4 of them. I don't have cravings for alcohol but now and then I
really, really want some Vicodin. So far, so good. Cigarettes are a
constant battle.

Michael

I remember when you did that, Michael. Just keep up the no smoking. My
husband has recently quit and I don't hear any more hacking in the middle of
the night, thank God. It was awful. I still can't sleep with him because
of his snoring or his flailing, but at least he's not coughing! LOL

kili