Old 24-04-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

Default "Bankrupt" California: OK for illegals to use welfare checks tobuy cigarettes and alcohol

On Apr 23, 11:41*pm, "GeorgeWashingtonFan"
wrote:
Welfare checks can be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes in California

* * *"Senator Dutton also explained that more
* * * than half of welfare beneficiaries are
* * * parents who are no longer eligible for
* * * state aid, but still receive cash assistance
* * * on behalf of their anchor baby children."

By Kimberly Dvorak
San Diego County Political Buzz Examiner
April 19th, 2011

On a straight party-line vote California lawmakers gave the green light
for welfare recipients to purchase alcohol and tobacco products using
taxpayer money. The insanity in the Golden State continues despite the
state’s $23 billion deficit and double-digit unemployment.

Recently California changed the way it disperses food stamps. In an
effort to take the stigma away from food stamps the state issues
welfare beneficiaries with an Electronic Benefits Card which look and
work like an ATM card.

The Golden State doles out welfare benefits through the CalWORKS
program. In the past welfare recipients were not allowed to buy beer
and cigarettes, but compassionate state lawmakers decided it wasn’t
fair to stop TAXPAYER money from being used to subsidize non-essential
bad habits.

“You would think a simple common sense reform like trying to make sure
taxpayer money is not used for the purchase of alcohol and tobacco
would find bi-partisan support,” said GOP State Senator Bob Dutton.

No such luck in California, Dutton, SB417’s sponsor saw his legislation
to save taxpayer money fail on a straight party-line vote.

California’s EBT/ATM card caught national attention last year when the
Los Angeles Times uncovered several documents proving the welfare cards
were being used for vacations to Hawaii, Las Vegas and strip clubs.
Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger quickly quashed the
vacation perks, but failed to stop the alcohol or cigarette buying
ability.

“These funds are designed help the neediest in California meet their
basic requirements of providing food, clothing and shelter,” Senator
Dutton quipped. “I doubt there’s not a taxpayer in this state who
believes purchasing alcohol or tobacco with welfare money constitutes a
basic need and should be allowed.”

Senator Dutton also explained that more than half of welfare
beneficiaries are parents who are no longer eligible for state aid, but
still receive cash assistance on behalf of their anchor baby children.

Advertisement “With over half of the caseload consisting of
‘child-only’ cases, it is unconscionable to allow designated caregivers
the ability to purchase tobacco and alcohol products on behalf of a
minor,” Senator Dutton said. “I was quite frankly surprised that
Democrats believe that this practice should continue. *I remain
committed to continue working on real reform measures, like SB 417, to
ensure that all taxpayer money is used as it is intended,” Senator
Dutton concluded.

In an effort to reform welfare Senator Dutton sought the assistance of
the California Grocers Association to implement a ban on alcohol and
tobacco purchases with the state’s EBT/ATM card.

This year California taxpayers will support nearly 600,000 families by
enrolling them into CalWORKS. The program disperses more than $100
million to help welfare recipients purchase groceries.

Something else taxpayers should consider is that California Governor
Jerry Brown is seeking to raise the tobacco tax another dollar in order
to fund cancer research; while Democrat Senator Alex Padilla already
introduced a bill to raise the cigarette tax by a whopping $1.61 to be
used to curb smoking. Neither program will cut the $23 billion deficit.

http://www.examiner.com/county-polit.../welfare-check
s-can-be-used-to-buy-alcohol-and-cigarettes-california#ixzz1KPMOocvt
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

* * * What Would America's Founders Say?

* The two enemies of the people are criminals
* and government, so let us tie the second down
* with the chains of the Constitution so the
* second will not become the legalized version
* of the first.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Those who hammer their guns into plows will
* plow for those who do not.
* *--Thomas Jefferson

* It does not take a majority to prevail ... but
* rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on
* setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
* men.
* --Samuel Adams

* The strongest reason for the people to retain
* the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last
* resort, to protect themselves against tyranny
* in government.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* *A free people ought not only to be armed and
* *disciplined, but they should have sufficient
* *arms and ammunition to maintain a status of
* *independence from any who might attempt to
* *abuse them, which would include their own
* *government."
* *-- George Washington

* No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* If the freedom of speech is taken away then
* dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to
* the slaughter.
* -- George Washington

* When governments fear the people there is liberty.
* When the people fear the government there is tyranny.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... Disarm only
* those who are neither inclined nor determined to
* commit crimes.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a
* *standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed
* *populace.
* * -- James Madison

* If the representatives of the people betray
* their constituents, there is then no resource
* left but in the exertion of that original
* right of self-defense which is paramount to
* all positive forms of government ... The
* citizens must rush tumultuously to arms,
* without concert, without system, without
* resource; except in their courage and despair
* ... The natural strength of the people in a
* large community, in proportion to the artificial
* strength of the government, is greater than in a
* small ... the people, without exaggeration, may
* be said to be entirely the masters of their own fate.
* -- Alexander Hamilton

* All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people
* of good conscience to remain silent.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Every government degenerates when trusted to the
* rulers of the people alone. The people themselves
* are its only safe depositories.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* As our enemies have found we can reason like men,
* so now let us show them we can fight like men also.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act!
* Action will delineate and define you.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Merchants have no country. The mere spot they
* stand on does not constitute so strong an
* attachment as that from which they draw their gains.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy
* of our monied corporations which dare already to
* challenge our government to a trial by strength,
* and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* I believe that banking institutions are more
* dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* Experience hath shewn, that even under the best
* forms of government those entrusted with power
* have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted
* it into tyranny.
* -- Thomas Jefferson

* A Founding Father speaks out on what's nowadays
* called "political correctness":

* Do not suffer yourselves to be wheeled out of
* your liberty to publish by any pretenses of
* politeness, delicacy or decency. These, as they
* are so often used, are but three different names
* for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice.
* --John Adams

--

Remove the pestilance of illegal aliens from America.

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/ The Occidental Observer

Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

In article
,
walt (The Racist) tonne wrote:
many nutty things, but remember he is a dirty little racist, probably an
anti-Papist as well as an anti-semite, and thinks that the government
should be able to tell you what you can, and cannot do with your body.
--

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn¹t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892*1984), January 6, 1946 speech before
representatives of the Confessing Church in Frankfurt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Martin_Niemöller

wrote:
Welfare checks can be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes in California

* * *"Senator Dutton also explained that more
* * * than half of welfare beneficiaries are
* * * parents who are no longer eligible for
* * * state aid, but still receive cash assistance
* * * on behalf of their anchor baby children."

By Kimberly Dvorak
San Diego County Political Buzz Examiner
April 19th, 2011

On a straight party-line vote California lawmakers gave the green light
for welfare recipients to purchase alcohol and tobacco products using
taxpayer money. The insanity in the Golden State continues despite the
state¹s $23 billion deficit and double-digit unemployment.

Recently California changed the way it disperses food stamps. In an
effort to take the stigma away from food stamps the state issues
welfare beneficiaries with an Electronic Benefits Card which look and
work like an ATM card.

The Golden State doles out welfare benefits through the CalWORKS
program. In the past welfare recipients were not allowed to buy beer
and cigarettes, but compassionate state lawmakers decided it wasn¹t
fair to stop TAXPAYER money from being used to subsidize non-essential
bad habits.

³You would think a simple common sense reform like trying to make sure
taxpayer money is not used for the purchase of alcohol and tobacco
would find bi-partisan support,² said GOP State Senator Bob Dutton.

No such luck in California, Dutton, SB417¹s sponsor saw his legislation
to save taxpayer money fail on a straight party-line vote.

California¹s EBT/ATM card caught national attention last year when the
Los Angeles Times uncovered several documents proving the welfare cards
were being used for vacations to Hawaii, Las Vegas and strip clubs.
Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger quickly quashed the
vacation perks, but failed to stop the alcohol or cigarette buying
ability.

³These funds are designed help the neediest in California meet their
basic requirements of providing food, clothing and shelter,² Senator
Dutton quipped. ³I doubt there¹s not a taxpayer in this state who
believes purchasing alcohol or tobacco with welfare money constitutes a
basic need and should be allowed.²

Senator Dutton also explained that more than half of welfare
beneficiaries are parents who are no longer eligible for state aid, but
still receive cash assistance on behalf of their anchor baby children.

Advertisement ³With over half of the caseload consisting of
Œchild-only¹ cases, it is unconscionable to allow designated caregivers
the ability to purchase tobacco and alcohol products on behalf of a
minor,² Senator Dutton said. ³I was quite frankly surprised that
Democrats believe that this practice should continue. *I remain
committed to continue working on real reform measures, like SB 417, to
ensure that all taxpayer money is used as it is intended,² Senator
Dutton concluded.

In an effort to reform welfare Senator Dutton sought the assistance of
the California Grocers Association to implement a ban on alcohol and
tobacco purchases with the state¹s EBT/ATM card.

[...]

- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/
Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

wrote:
Welfare checks can be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes in California

* * *"Senator Dutton also explained that more
* * * than half of welfare beneficiaries are
* * * parents who are no longer eligible for
* * * state aid, but still receive cash assistance
* * * on behalf of their anchor baby children."

By Kimberly Dvorak
San Diego County Political Buzz Examiner
April 19th, 2011

On a straight party-line vote California lawmakers gave the green light
for welfare recipients to purchase alcohol and tobacco products using
taxpayer money. The insanity in the Golden State continues despite the
state’s $23 billion deficit and double-digit unemployment.

Tobacco and booze sales generate huge amounts of revenue for the
state. Since right wingers demand trillions in government handouts for
their beloved millionaires and corporations but scream like banchees
at any suggestion that their welfare has to be paid for, governments
have to figure out other ways to raise revenues.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

wrote:
Welfare checks can be used to buy alcohol and cigarettes in California

"Senator Dutton also explained that more
than half of welfare beneficiaries are
parents who are no longer eligible for
state aid, but still receive cash assistance
on behalf of their anchor baby children."

By Kimberly Dvorak
San Diego County Political Buzz Examiner
April 19th, 2011

On a straight party-line vote California lawmakers gave the green light
for welfare recipients to purchase alcohol and tobacco products using
taxpayer money. The insanity in the Golden State continues despite the
state’s $23 billion deficit and double-digit unemployment.

Tobacco and booze sales generate huge amounts of revenue for the
state. Since right wingers demand trillions

what do liberals demand, lower taxes? no.

less government? no.

less entitlements? no.

and so it goes.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

wrote:
[...]

That's the way liberals think - They can bolster the economy by
printing money and having the poor buy heavily taxed merchandise.

In their world, the snake will disappear when it tries to swallow its
tail.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

#
# That's the way liberals think - They can bolster the economy by
# printing money and having the poor buy heavily taxed merchandise.
#
# In their world, the snake will disappear when it tries to swallow its
# tail.

I'm currently reading a book called "When Money Dies" by Adam Ferguson
It's about how the Germans and others "printed" their currencies to death in
the 1920-30s.
The book has are lesson to be learned, which our current politicians have
either never learned or are ignoring.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

WA WA WA WA Calif is broke because the morons that live there
voted to control everything, taxed businesses out of the state
and communised a free country into a puritanicle, fashist
entitlement minded smoke free steril commune, no producers =
no free stuff, Duhhhhh, did'nt the hippies teach you that on
Haight street in the 1960's? Tax CO2? make me lauph I just
fart come get me IRS and don't forget my dog farts too.
California is broke because they deserve to be broke, they
voted to be broke they begged for their poverty through
politicle correct green peace scams that rape the producers of
their profit and drove them off the state, you got what you
deserve, NOTHING!!! Now take your layoff like a man and
shutup, if the EBT card declines I will really be happy!!!
Oh but hey!! We're smoke/pollution free and burn no gas, we
are doing the right thing aren't we? or are we? Hummmmmm?
Cave man didn't burn much fuel but I sure wouldn't want
anything to do with that way of life. It's hot in here I think
I'll turn up the AC with my Illeagle homemade tax free freon
in it that I home brew myself [woooooops].

--
May You reep the poverrty You have Voted for.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

wrote:
[...]

As opposed to your world, where everybody will be happy and prosperous
if we just slash Rush Limbaugh's taxes one more time. At least in my
world, money is going to people who almost have to spend it instead of
to people who will "invest" it by hiding it down in the Caymens or
behind some other tax dodge.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

Christopher Helms wrote:
At least in my world,

You're a nutcase, **** off and leave.
Old 21-05-2011, 01:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,misc.consumers.frugal-living,seattle.politics,mn.politics

In article , B(u/e)nny Hill
wrote:

Christopher Helms wrote:
At least in my world,

You're a nutcase, **** off and leave.

Another information free post.

The U.S. isn't broke because of public employees, its broke because we
spend all our money on rich oil companies, pointless wars, and
subsidizing Wall Street. That's where your money went.

B(u/e)nny Hill, a.k.a. ******-Boy, the capitalist's sock-puppet, will
talk about anything, but the corporate coup d'etat taking place in
America now. S/he ignores facts that differ from his/her own seditious
agenda, which supports Wall Street investment banks, environmental
polluters, pointless & endless wars, and the Bush/Obama administration.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True conservatives, and liberals not to be found anywhere in the phantasmagoria
of the American political landscape.