Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default Thanksgiving Dinner

GRATIS DICTUM
----------------------

So it's come to this! I used to complain when the Xmas advertising
began before Thanksgiving (U.S) now were talking about "Thanksgiving"
(U.S.) before Halloween. Oy!
---
JL

p.s. i'm slightly jealous

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Got the final head count last night. There will only be 18 instead of
> 22
> people. I've finally decided on a partial menu and other family
> members
> will insist on bringing something. I would prefer they didn't but ya'
> know
> how the relatives are. Here is a partial list:
>
> For nibbles:
> Bloody marys and cocktails
> Cream cheese stuffed black olives
> Tapenade and crostini
> Peanut butter stuffed celery sticks (for Gillian, she loves them)
> Assorted nuts
> Deviled eggs (for Lindsay, we fight over them)
>
> Beforehand:
> Punkin' soup
>
> The main event:
> Roast turkey - turkey gravy
> Brisket with onion gravy
> Mashed 'taters
> Peas
> This excellent sweet potato dish, recipe ripped off from my SIL
> 1 other undecided side dish probably something with corn
> Brussel sprouts
> Carrots, undecided how to serve yet, may do zippy carrots, dilled or
> something with ginger
> Stuffing - regular and a sausage stuffing
> Cranberry relish
> Dinner rolls
> Wine
>
> Dessert:
> Pumpkin Walnut Cheesecake (depending on how the trial run turns out)
> Pumpkin pies w/whipped cream
> Cranberry Muffins a la Wayne
> Cinnamon Hazlenut coffee
>
> Relatives are bringing other desserts and some are bringing big
> salads.
>
> It's not going to be fancy but I'll bet I take the usual snooze
> afterwards.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:49:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> wrote:

>GRATIS DICTUM
>----------------------
>
>So it's come to this! I used to complain when the Xmas advertising
>began before Thanksgiving (U.S) now were talking about "Thanksgiving"
>(U.S.) before Halloween. Oy!
>---
>JL
>
>p.s. i'm slightly jealous

Doesn't everyone start talking about Thanksgiving, and planning for it
long before Halloween?

I think I started before Labor Day....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Christine Dabney wrote on 30 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Doesn't everyone start talking about Thanksgiving, and planning for it
> long before Halloween?

I start thinking about TG in August, by Halloween TG has come and past...

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 06:49:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
> >GRATIS DICTUM
> >----------------------
> >
> >So it's come to this! I used to complain when the Xmas advertising
> >began before Thanksgiving (U.S) now were talking about "Thanksgiving"

> >(U.S.) before Halloween. Oy!
> >---
> >JL
> >
> >p.s. i'm slightly jealous

> Doesn't everyone start talking about Thanksgiving, and planning for it
>
> long before Halloween?
>
> I think I started before Labor Day....
>
> Christine

What can i say? The result of middle age? i have a routine of 5 dinners
a year that i attend, 4 of which i host. I do not NEED to start even
thinking about TG till some time in mid november. That meal almost
cooks itself. Though i am thinking of getting 'jiggy' with xmas dinner
this year, request white tie & tiaras and orders and r.s.v.p. maybe even
drag out the gold plate from the vault (oy! the paper work though!)
probly use the Sevres instead

I got a case of '02 Moet in the basement.

Have not got fancy with any thing for the last several years due to a
back injury. Im seriously considering a big fish for the mid winter,
solstice (read Xmas) dinner this year. Big enough to make my essentially
decorative Sturgeon pot worth using (5 dollars U.S. at an auction no
other cooks attended).
---
JL