Michael

Default Chinese and corn starch

When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
(regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
you find in many chinese restaurants.

Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.

It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
"neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".

Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
syrup maybe? Or?

Thanks.

Arri London

Michael wrote:

> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?
>
> Thanks.

Possibly arrowroot but that is a bit pricey.
Gabby

"Michael" > wrote in message
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as

what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?

You're right, it's not the same. That's because they use rice starch which
gives a glistening appearance to the food, and doesn't thicken up as fast as
corn starch.

Gabby

Bubba

Michael wrote:
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?
>
> Thanks.

They also use starch powder made from the Kudzu root. Forget what it's
called but supposedly it's lighter and sweeter.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Sheldon

Michael wrote:
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?

Originally the Chinese didn't have corn (I bet you knew that). For
thousands of years the Chinese used lotus root as a thickener, some
still do, but the vast majority now use corn starch, it's far less
expensive. If what you cook doesn't taste the same as what you get
from Chinese restaurants don't blame the thickener, it's because you
don't know how to cook Chinese food correctly, has nothing to do with
the thickener used, they impart no flavor whichever you choose. Some
Chinese restaurants use sego or tapioca but most use corn... arrowroot
is also expensive and there's no real benefit... some claim it gives a
higher sheen, probably how they justify/rationalize the higher cost,
but that's subjective.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Michael" > wrote:

> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?
>
> Thanks.

They probably use Arrowroot.

I do too. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Gabby

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> You're right, it's not the same. That's because they use rice starch

Good Lord, where was my brain when I typed that? What I meant to type was
"tapioca starch".

Gabby

sarah bennett

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Michael" > wrote:
>

>>When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
>>(regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
>>you find in many chinese restaurants.
>>
>>Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>>
>>It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
>>"neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>>
>>Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
>>syrup maybe? Or?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> They probably use Arrowroot.
>
> I do too. :-)
>
> Cheers!

using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Michael

I'll try some tapioca starch.

I actually have some. I don't know what I'm doing wrong if, as claimed,
"most use corn starch".....because I get a cloudy look to it.

Like I say, the sauces I get from the pros have a cleaner and almost
transparent look to them.

I thought that maybe they would even cook down a vinegar/sugar sauce mixture
in advance and just add it at the end?

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Michael" > wrote:
>
>> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
>> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as
>> what
>> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>>
>> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>>
>> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
>> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>>
>> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
>> syrup maybe? Or?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> They probably use Arrowroot.
>
> I do too. :-)
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

Gabby

"Michael" > wrote in message
> I'll try some tapioca starch.
>
> I actually have some. I don't know what I'm doing wrong if, as claimed,
> "most use corn starch".....because I get a cloudy look to it.

I've used tapioca starch and the results do look different from those
obtained with corn starch. The results are prettier with tapioca starch.

Gabby

Bob (this one)

Michael wrote:
> I'll try some tapioca starch.
>
> I actually have some. I don't know what I'm doing wrong if, as claimed,
> "most use corn starch".....because I get a cloudy look to it.

If it's cloudy, it hasn't been cooked. When corn starch gelatinizes, it
becomes fully transparent. It sounds more like a technique issue than
what thickener you're using.

Corn starch needs to be mixed with some water-based fluid and stirred
into boiling or near-boiling liquids. When adding to a hot wok or
skillet, it needs to be mixed in with sufficient liquid (already in the
pot or as part of the starch-liquid mixture) to fully cook. That happens
almost instantly up at high simmer or boiling temps.

> Like I say, the sauces I get from the pros have a cleaner and almost
> transparent look to them.
>
> I thought that maybe they would even cook down a vinegar/sugar sauce mixture
> in advance and just add it at the end?

Not necessary. Get all the ingredients hot and add the starch properly,
cook for a brief minute and serve.

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>"Michael" > wrote:
>>

>>>When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
>>>(regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as
>>>what
>>>you find in many chinese restaurants.
>>>
>>>Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>>>
>>>It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
>>>"neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".

This doesn't make much sense. Corn starch is a white powder that becomes
fully transparent when gelatinized in the presence of water.

>>>Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
>>>syrup maybe? Or?

No.

Pastorio
aem

Michael wrote:
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.

[snip]
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".

So your results are not as clear, not as thick and have some odd taste?
All that points to not fully cooking the cornstarch mixture. Do it
this way and see if it doesn't solve the problem: mix the cornstarch
well with cold water, 1:1 or 1:2 starch to water ratio; pull your
stirfry ingredients up the sides of the wok or push the food away from
the center of the pan so you have as much of the boiling liquid visible
as possible; pour the cornstarch slurry into the boiling liquid,
stirring as you do so; let it cook for at least 30 seconds.

> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe?

No. -aem

isabella

use patato starch
it works the same as corn starch
but it stays clear and tast neutral

isabella

"Michael" > schreef in bericht
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as

what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?
>
> Thanks.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael" > wrote:
> >

> >>When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> >>(regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as
> >>what
> >>you find in many chinese restaurants.
> >>
> >>Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
> >>
> >>It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> >>"neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
> >>
> >>Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> >>syrup maybe? Or?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>

> > They probably use Arrowroot.
> >
> > I do too. :-)
> >
> > Cheers!

> using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
> finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
--
Om.

aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
> > using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
> > finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

> Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
> --

Like any other sauce, tradition has identified certain dishes that
oyster sauce seems to go particularly well with. Chinese broccoli,
western broccoli, various bok choys is one group. Dishes with
dried/reconstituted Chinese/shiitake mushrooms is another group. Two
I'd recommend in particular a bok choy and mushrooms; and beef,
peapods and mushrooms. -aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article > ,
> > sarah bennett > wrote:
> > > using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
> > > finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

> > Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> > fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> > it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
> > --

> Like any other sauce, tradition has identified certain dishes that
> oyster sauce seems to go particularly well with. Chinese broccoli,
> western broccoli, various bok choys is one group. Dishes with
> dried/reconstituted Chinese/shiitake mushrooms is another group. Two
> I'd recommend in particular a bok choy and mushrooms; and beef,
> peapods and mushrooms. -aem

Brocolli and mushrooms are always pretty much a given in my stir fry's,
and choys are also. :-) I just bought some fresh frozen pea pods too
and have some top round thawing......

Cheers!
--
Om.

George

Michael wrote:
> When I use corn starch as a thickener in chinese dishes with sauces,
> (regardless of how much I use), it just doesn't taste the same to me as what
> you find in many chinese restaurants.
>
> Especially sweet and sour dishes or general chicken.
>
> It seems they use something that gives a clearer, much thicker and more
> "neutral" taste. To me corn starch is more like a "gravy".
>
> Are they just cooking down the sugar to near carmalization or using corn
> syrup maybe? Or?
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like you may not be getting the temperature high enough/long
enough after adding the corn starch. We use corn starch all of the time
and get that same "shiny" smooth look you see in the restaurant version.
Charles Gifford

"Michael" > wrote in message
> I'll try some tapioca starch.
>
> I actually have some. I don't know what I'm doing wrong if, as claimed,
> "most use corn starch".....because I get a cloudy look to it.

Use the corn starch. If it is cloudy, either you didn't cook it right or
something else is causing the cloudiness. Don't boil the cornstarch. As soon
as cornstarch reaches a boil and thickens, it is done. Unlike flour, you
cannot cook cornstarch too long. If you boil it, it will turn cloudy and
probably lumpy. As soon as the cornstarch thickens the dish, stop all
cooking!

> Like I say, the sauces I get from the pros have a cleaner and almost
> transparent look to them.
>
> I thought that maybe they would even cook down a vinegar/sugar sauce

mixture
> in advance and just add it at the end?

For that "restaurant" flavor, add a few drops of toasted sesame oil. Not too
much mind. It it very fragrant!

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> So your results are not as clear, not as thick and have some odd taste?
> All that points to not fully cooking the cornstarch mixture.

Yep. I forgot to say that in my post. Under cooking and over cooking both
are bad things with cornstarch!

Charlie

Arri London

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article > ,
> sarah bennett > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > They probably use Arrowroot.
> > >
> > > I do too. :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers!

> > using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
> > finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

> Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
> --

Also try heating your wok until it's nearly ready to melt on the cooker
Add the oil, which will sizzle and smoke like mad and start cooking.
That's also part of the restaurant taste.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > In article > ,
> > sarah bennett > wrote:

> > > using oyster sauce helps make many things taste 'restaurant-y', too (I
> > > finally was able to get my fried rice to taste right :> )

> > Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> > fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> > it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!
> > --

> Also try heating your wok until it's nearly ready to melt on the cooker
> Add the oil, which will sizzle and smoke like mad and start cooking.
> That's also part of the restaurant taste.

Well... I confess I don't use a Wok. Can't use one on a glass top stove.
;-) I use a cast iron skillet.......

Still woks tho! <G>

Cheers!
--
Om.

Ian MacLure

OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
:

[snip]

> Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Hmmm... Took a Chinese cooking course some years ago
taught by a friend at his restaurant. It wasn't some domesticated
presentation, it was the full-on how its done in the restaurant
method. There were significant differences from home cooking.
Now if I could only find my notes....

And-uh "Chinese starch" is tapioca IIRC.

IBM

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Ian MacLure > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
> :
>
> [snip]
>
> > Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> > fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> > it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

> Hmmm... Took a Chinese cooking course some years ago
> taught by a friend at his restaurant. It wasn't some domesticated
> presentation, it was the full-on how its done in the restaurant
> method. There were significant differences from home cooking.
> Now if I could only find my notes....
>
> And-uh "Chinese starch" is tapioca IIRC.
>
> IBM

Please do let us know!
The one I'm the MOST interested in is their fried chicken!
--
Om.

Dan Abel

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> In article >,
> Ian MacLure > wrote:

> > Hmmm... Took a Chinese cooking course some years ago
> > taught by a friend at his restaurant. It wasn't some domesticated

> Please do let us know!
> The one I'm the MOST interested in is their fried chicken!

I'm more interested in the hamburgers, but whatever.

As a kid, things weren't real sophisticated. A lot of restaurants,
especially in the little towns, weren't Chinese, but Chinese-American.
That didn't have to do with the owners, or the people who worked there.
They had two menus (or one menu with two sections). One was Chinese,
and the other American. I went on a trip with a guy once. We ate at
one of these, and he said that he always went to these places. He
didn't like Chinese food, but he said that the American food was always
good and reasonably priced.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:06:08 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Ian MacLure > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Y'know, I'm going to have to try that with my stir fry. The garlic and
> > > fresh ginger helps, but there is always something "missing" that makes
> > > it taste like it does in restaurants. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

> > Hmmm... Took a Chinese cooking course some years ago
> > taught by a friend at his restaurant. It wasn't some domesticated
> > presentation, it was the full-on how its done in the restaurant
> > method. There were significant differences from home cooking.
> > Now if I could only find my notes....
> >
> > And-uh "Chinese starch" is tapioca IIRC.
> >
> > IBM

> Please do let us know!
> The one I'm the MOST interested in is their fried chicken!

The crispy coating on chinese fried food is cornstarch.... I can
guarentee that's the coating on pork and there's no reason it wouldn't
work with chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:58:12 GMT, Dan Abel wrote:

> I'm more interested in the hamburgers, but whatever.

LOL! I'm not the "If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium" type.... but
for the first time in my life, we've gone to Wednesday is hamburger
day (grandkid inspired). In any case, I LOVE them and don't mind
having them often.

corn starch as thickener Allan Matthews General Cooking 28 09-02-2010 03:32 PM
Silly question..Corn flour/corn starch biig General Cooking 11 25-04-2007 12:26 AM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
How do I make that CHINESE hot almond drink without corn starch ggg Asian Cooking 2 21-11-2005 10:27 PM
Corn Starch vs Arrow Root Steve Vegan 8 10-07-2004 12:45 AM