Steve

Default Corn Starch vs Arrow Root

I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.

"Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.

Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
amounts?

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"
Rubystars

"Steve" > wrote in message
> I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>
> "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.

Why? There's nothing wrong with it.

-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

Steve wrote:
> I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>
> "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.

Don't be a saphead. For 2T worth, starch is starch.

> Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
> amounts?

"Cornstarch and arrowroot have almost twice the
thickening power of flour. Cornstarch produces a sauce
that is almost clear and is shiny or glossy to look at.
Arrowroot has the same qualities and produces a clearer
sauce, but is much more expensive."

http://foodservice.chef2chef.net/too...starchvs.shtml

rebecca

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:31:51 -0400, Steve
> wrote:

>I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>
>"Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.
>
>Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
>amounts?

I don't think arrowroot is any healthier, but I think it tastes nicer.
I just use the same amount, and it usually works out.

--Rebecca
John Knezevich

Steve wrote:
> I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>
> "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.
>
> Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
> amounts?
>
> Steve
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
>
> "The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
> on television or bought in a shopping mall"

Corn starch is not going to do you any harm. It's just a bunch of
glucose (sugar) molecules chained together. I breaks down to individual
glucose molecules in the stomach. Corn syrup is produced from corn starch.

usual suspect

Steve wrote:

> I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>
> "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.

Why does it sound unhealthy?

> Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
> amounts?

"Arrow root" is also a starch. Starch thickens liquids. You can use flour (as in
a roux), corn starch, potato starch, or the starch of arrow root. In the end,
it's all the same.

> Steve
> http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

That geocities account name sounds quite suitable given your question.

usual suspect

rebecca wrote:
>>I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
>>
>>"Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.
>>
>>Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
>>amounts?

> I don't think arrowroot is any healthier,

It's not any unhealthier, either.

> but I think it tastes nicer.

The properties are slightly different. Corn starch is fine for most foods. Arrow
root is better for thickening clear liquids that you want to keep clear.

<...>

hamilton

i think the corn starch/syrup link is what made her think it was unhealthy.
and honestly, i'm inclined to agree. corn syrup is horrible for you.

"John Knezevich" > wrote in
message .. .
> Steve wrote:
> > I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
> >
> > "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.
> >
> > Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
> > amounts?
> >
> > Steve
> > http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
> >
> > "The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
> > on television or bought in a shopping mall"

> Corn starch is not going to do you any harm. It's just a bunch of
> glucose (sugar) molecules chained together. I breaks down to individual
> glucose molecules in the stomach. Corn syrup is produced from corn starch.

hamilton

i think the corn starch/syrup link is what made her think it was unhealthy.
and honestly, i'm inclined to agree. corn syrup is horrible for you.

"John Knezevich" > wrote in
message .. .
> Steve wrote:
> > I have a recipie for a chreeze sauce that uses 2T of corn starch.
> >
> > "Corn Starch" sounds unhealthy.
> >
> > Is arrow root any better and if I substitute it in should I use the same
> > amounts?
> >
> > Steve
> > http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/
> >
> > "The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
> > on television or bought in a shopping mall"

> Corn starch is not going to do you any harm. It's just a bunch of
> glucose (sugar) molecules chained together. I breaks down to individual
> glucose molecules in the stomach. Corn syrup is produced from corn starch.

corn starch as thickener Allan Matthews General Cooking 28 09-02-2010 03:32 PM
Arrow root pudding. Anne General Cooking 0 20-06-2007 04:41 PM
Silly question..Corn flour/corn starch biig General Cooking 11 25-04-2007 12:26 AM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
Chinese and corn starch Michael General Cooking 25 27-10-2005 03:34 AM