Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default corn starch as thickener

What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
TIA, Allan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

2/1
"Allan Matthews" > wrote in message
> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
> TIA, Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Allan Matthews > wrote:

> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
> TIA, Allan

I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
-- it may break.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller; new entries posted 2-2-2010
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 07:49:24 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
>> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
>> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
>> TIA, Allan

>I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
>quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
>it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
>and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
>-- it may break.

Thanks for info. Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
thicken with potato, Ibelieve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 07:49:24 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
>> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
>> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
>> TIA, Allan

> I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
> quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
> it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
> and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
> -- it may break.

i don't think it has to come to a *boil* - but it does have to be heated.
(at least for the applications i use it for - chinese stir-fries, so a
fairly small amount of liquid to be thickened.)

your pal,
b;lake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:12:08 -0500, Allan Matthews
> wrote:

> Thanks for info. Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
> thicken with potato, Ibelieve.

Potatoes are the only way to thicken clam chowder, save your
cornstarch for something else. It's commonly used in Chinese cooking
as a thickener.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
>Allan Matthews wrote:
>
>>Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
>> thicken with potato.

>Potatoes are the only way to thicken clam chowder.

You're talking that wimpy New England style... REAL clam chowder.
Manhattan clam chowder, is best thickened with okra.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Allan Matthews" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 07:49:24 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>>
>>> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
>>> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
>>> TIA, Allan

>>I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
>>quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
>>it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
>>and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
>>-- it may break.

> Thanks for info. Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
> thicken with potato, Ibelieve.

NE Clam chowder should already contain potatoes.

Cornstarch is surprising in that you only need a small amount of liquid to
make a slurry that will thicken a pot of anything. And I have never found
it "breaks" upon reheating. I prefer it to using flour which often leaves
an aftertaste if it hasn't cooked completely. IMHO. Cornstarch slurries
blend in quickly. YMMV.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Cornstarch is surprising in that you only need a small amount of liquid
> to make a slurry that will thicken a pot of anything. And I have never
> found it "breaks" upon reheating. I prefer it to using flour which
> often leaves an aftertaste if it hasn't cooked completely. IMHO.
> Cornstarch slurries blend in quickly. YMMV.

Cornstarch is a great thickener because it works so quickly, but it
gives a glossy appearance which isn't always appealing. My preferred
thickener is Veloutine, which may not be available in the US. It is made
with potato starch. You bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the
Veloutine and it thickens within a minute.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
>> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
>> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
>> TIA, Allan

> I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
> quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
> it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
> and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
> -- it may break.

Agreed. I usually mix up lots of slurry and add it gradually to the
simmering liquid till the desired consistency is reached.

I've never had a problem with breaking and I use it to thicken all kinds
of gravies, especially chicken and turkey.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> 2/1

Are you serious? Two parts cs one part water?

> "Allan Matthews" > wrote in message
>> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
>> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
>> TIA, Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Allan Matthews > wrote:

> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?

Until there is enough.

> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?

Yup.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Miche > wrote:

> In article >,
> Allan Matthews > wrote:
>
> > What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?

> Until there is enough.
>
> > Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?

> Yup.

Nope. Absolutely not. Thickening *without* having to boil is one of its
advantages.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ]>,
isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Allan Matthews > wrote:
> >
> > > What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?

> > Until there is enough.
> >
> > > Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?

> > Yup.

> Nope. Absolutely not. Thickening *without* having to boil is one of its
> advantages.

I've found that it needs to boil to thicken to its full extent, although
it doesn't need to "cook the taste out" the way flour does.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> Allan Matthews wrote:
>>
>>> Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
>>> thicken with potato.

>> Potatoes are the only way to thicken clam chowder.

> You're talking that wimpy New England style... REAL clam chowder.
> Manhattan clam chowder, is best thickened with okra.

Viva our wimpy NE clam chowder!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >Allan Matthews wrote:
> >
> >>Am making clam chowder for first time , but will
> >> thicken with potato.

> >Potatoes are the only way to thicken clam chowder.

> You're talking that wimpy New England style... REAL clam chowder.
> Manhattan clam chowder, is best thickened with okra.

Oh yes! I love soups thickened with okra, and it's not slimy if you do
it right.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>

> > Cornstarch is surprising in that you only need a small amount of liquid
> > to make a slurry that will thicken a pot of anything. And I have never
> > found it "breaks" upon reheating. I prefer it to using flour which
> > often leaves an aftertaste if it hasn't cooked completely. IMHO.
> > Cornstarch slurries blend in quickly. YMMV.

> Cornstarch is a great thickener because it works so quickly, but it
> gives a glossy appearance which isn't always appealing. My preferred
> thickener is Veloutine, which may not be available in the US. It is made
> with potato starch. You bring the liquid to a boil and stir in the
> Veloutine and it thickens within a minute.

I found some tapioca starch when I was going thru the pantry recently.
Anyone tried thickening with that?

I also have some guar gum on hand I've not yet experimented with for a
low carb thickener.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Allan Matthews > wrote:
> >
> >> What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?
> >> Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?
> >> TIA, Allan

> > I don't measure either the cornstarch or the liquid -- depends of the
> > quantity I want to thicken - enough liquid to make a thin slurry. Yes,
> > it has to be brought to boil, stirring. It will make the sauce clearish
> > and shiny. Reheating a cornstarch-thickened sauce can be problematic
> > -- it may break.

> Agreed. I usually mix up lots of slurry and add it gradually to the
> simmering liquid till the desired consistency is reached.
>
> I've never had a problem with breaking and I use it to thicken all kinds
> of gravies, especially chicken and turkey.
>
> gloria p

I've also never had a problem with it breaking, even after freezing.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ]>,
isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> Miche > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Allan Matthews > wrote:
> >
> > > What is the ratio of corn starch to liquid when used as a thickener?

> > Until there is enough.
> >
> > > Does it have to be broguht to boiling as flour?

> > Yup.

> Nope. Absolutely not. Thickening *without* having to boil is one of its
> advantages.
>
> Isaac

It works faster and better tho' if it is at least simmering.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> brooklyn1 wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>> >Potatoes are the only way to thicken clam chowder.

>> You're talking that wimpy New England style... REAL clam chowder.
>> Manhattan clam chowder, is best thickened with okra.

>Oh yes! I love soups thickened with okra, and it's not slimy if you do
>it right.

Naturally we gotta do it right. And fresh n' sassy, young n' nubile
is best... of course ultimately it's all in the technique... in how we
slurp and swallow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
> Anyone tried arrowroot?
>
> Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......

My grandma used to use arrowroot... I have been looking for it.. thanks
Steve.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anyone tried arrowroot?

Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
>> Anyone tried arrowroot?
>>
>> Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......

> My grandma used to use arrowroot... I have been looking for it.. thanks
> Steve.

I have wondered if the consistency of things it is used in is different from
things cornstarch has been used in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Steve B" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone tried arrowroot?
>>>
>>> Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......

>> My grandma used to use arrowroot... I have been looking for it.. thanks
>> Steve.
>>

> I have wondered if the consistency of things it is used in is different
> from things cornstarch has been used in.

I can't remember but I do dislike the consistency of cornstarch.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> You're talking that wimpy New England style... REAL clam chowder.
> >> Manhattan clam chowder, is best thickened with okra.

> >Oh yes! I love soups thickened with okra, and it's not slimy if you do
> >it right.

> Naturally we gotta do it right. And fresh n' sassy, young n' nubile
> is best... of course ultimately it's all in the technique... in how we
> slurp and swallow.

Add them whole and not sliced and diced... <eg>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Anyone tried arrowroot?
>
> Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......
>
> Steve

I have, and I prefer it to corn starch due to the "finish", but it's a
bit expensive for regular use. I reserve it for special occasions and
asian soups.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Steve B" > wrote in message
> > Anyone tried arrowroot?
> >
> > Sorry, been out of town, and came into this discussion late......

> My grandma used to use arrowroot... I have been looking for it.. thanks
>
> --

Health food stores as a general rule.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Where do you buy food grade corn starch and calcium phosphate? Whitney Ryan General Cooking 38 16-01-2015 06:54 PM
Silly question..Corn flour/corn starch biig General Cooking 11 25-04-2007 12:26 AM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
Chinese and corn starch Michael General Cooking 25 27-10-2005 03:34 AM
Corn Starch vs Arrow Root Steve Vegan 8 10-07-2004 12:45 AM