CliffB

Default Reheating casseroles

Any guidance on reheating refrigerated and/or frozen casseroles; I'm
thinking of a lasagna type dish that needs to heat through thoroughly.
I've microwaved on 8 for a longer period to try to get keep the heating
even instead ofalternating scorched and still cool spots that full
microwaving can do. What about reheating guidelines in an oven, temps
and times?

-L.

CliffB wrote:
> Any guidance on reheating refrigerated and/or frozen casseroles; I'm
> thinking of a lasagna type dish that needs to heat through thoroughly.
> I've microwaved on 8 for a longer period to try to get keep the heating
> even instead ofalternating scorched and still cool spots that full
> microwaving can do. What about reheating guidelines in an oven, temps
> and times?

For lasagne, I just wrap individual pieces (3"x4") in Pam-coated foil,
and heat at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Perfect every time. For other
casseroles, I heat in the microwave on 60% power, on the rotating
turntable for as long as 10 minutes per 10-16 oz.

-L.

Nancy1

CliffB wrote:
> Any guidance on reheating refrigerated and/or frozen casseroles; I'm
> thinking of a lasagna type dish that needs to heat through thoroughly.
> I've microwaved on 8 for a longer period to try to get keep the heating
> even instead ofalternating scorched and still cool spots that full
> microwaving can do. What about reheating guidelines in an oven, temps
> and times?

Be sure to reheat just what portion you want, instead of the whole
thing - multiple re-heatings, not good.

I nuke on high for an initial period; stir or poke holes in (in the
case of lasagne) and heat on high again....usually taking my cues from
commercially frozen entrees. Frozen mac 'n cheese, for example - an
initial 8 minutes on high, then 2-3 more on high. My microwave has
never scorched anything.

N.

Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
"CliffB" > wrote:

> Any guidance on reheating refrigerated and/or frozen casseroles; I'm
> thinking of a lasagna type dish that needs to heat through thoroughly.
> I've microwaved on 8 for a longer period to try to get keep the heating
> even instead ofalternating scorched and still cool spots that full
> microwaving can do. What about reheating guidelines in an oven, temps
> and times?

Does your microwave oven have a rotating tray in it? If not, either buy
a tray that rotates or replace your microwave oven with a model that has
that feature. By rotating the food as it reheats, it goes more evenly
exposed to the microwave energy and heats more evenly.

In addition, you need to allow the heated food to sit for a few minutes
before you serve it. This allows the heat to further penetrate the food.