katie

Default casseroles!!

alright folks...this is serious business.

let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

Rubystars

"katie" > wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
> alright folks...this is serious business.
>
> let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much rules
out posting anything.

-Rubystars

katie

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "katie" > wrote in message
> et.cable.rogers.com...
> > alright folks...this is serious business.
> >
> > let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

> Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much

rules
> out posting anything.

no good chilis or anything? cause i think that anything you make in a big
pot counts! ()

Rubystars

"katie" > wrote in message
. rogers.com...

> "Rubystars" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >
> > "katie" > wrote in message
> > et.cable.rogers.com...
> > > alright folks...this is serious business.
> > >
> > > let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard!

()

> > Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much

> rules
> > out posting anything.
> >

> no good chilis or anything? cause i think that anything you make in a big
> pot counts! ()

I used to make a vegetarian chili that I thought was pretty good. I kind of
mixed different ingredients together and came up with something edible.

1 small onion or 1/2 large onion
1 green bell pepper
4 ribs celery
1 can of red beans
1 small can of mushroom pieces
3-5 sliced roma (plum) tomatoes
1 box Mori Nu firm or extra firm tofu
2 Boca or other veggie burgers (optional)
1-2 tablespoons chili powder.
Spaghetti sauce, tomato based.
Teriyaki sauce
Cilantro (optional)

Cut tofu into very small pieces and sprinkle liberally with teriyaki sauce
and two tablespoons of chili powder. Mix the pieces and sauce and powder
together well with a spoon and let it sit there for at least 15 minutes to
marinate in the fridge (overnight would be even better). If you don't want
to wait that long just do this to the tofu then chop all the vegetables and
when you're done doing that, it should be marinated enough, but make sure it
sits in the marinade for at least 15 minutes.

Get 1 green bell pepper finely chopped (remove the white ribs and seeds and
top), 1 yellow onion finely chopped, 3-4 stalks celery finely chopped (pull
off the strings and scrape where the strings were with a knife in the sink
with some water running over it before chopping), 1 small can of mushroom
pieces (drained), 1 drained can of red beans, and some sliced roma tomatoes.

You can also add some finely chopped cilantro at this point.

If you can find some vegan veggie burgers, it's also good to add two of them
chopped up into the mixture before you start boiling. It adds to the meaty
flavor, but they're not necessary. I used to heat them up in the microwave a
little to make chopping them up easier.

Add all ingredients together into a pot and turn on the flame. Only if
necessary, add a *little* V8, canned crushed tomatoes, or pasta sauce to
give it a little liquid. Don't add very much at all because most of the
liquid is going to come from the other foods and you'll have to boil most of
it off anyway.

Boil the food together, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Make sure
that almost all the liquid is boiled off or strained out before you serve
the chili, because otherwise you're going to end up with chili soup!

If you let it boil for about 15 minutes, it will taste and look like chili.

-Rubystars

Wolf and Billie

katie wrote:
> alright folks...this is serious business.
>
> let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

Not >exactly< a casserole but yummy! Lends itself well to substituions
and experiementing with different spices. It's always a huge hit with
my family, even the picky one who hates all veggies except broccoli! LOL

1 block extra firm tofu pressed, frozen then thawed and cut into large
chunks
1 1/2 cups frozen or (fresh blanched) green beans
1 sm/med sweet red pepper, sliced into thick strips
1 sm/med green bell pepper, sliced into thick strips
1 lrg onion sliced into stips (less if it suits you of course)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or stewed or what have you)
1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce (the flavored ones work really well in this dish)
1 cup thickly sliced mushrooms
1 cup black olives (optional)
1/2 cup chopped celery
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
2 bay leaves
1 tsp italian seasoning
dash paprika
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for sauteing

Heat some olive oil in a nonstick Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium
heat. Saute garlic, celery and onions (with a dash of salt) until
lightly carmelized. Add tofu and saute lightly until all sides are
slightly browned. Add peppers cook lightly for 1-2 minutes. Gently stir
in tomatoes, sauce, green beans, seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper
and bay leaves. Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add mushrooms and olives, simmer 5-10 more minutes. Serve with whole
wheat Farfelle (or your favorite) pasta and fresh bread. Makes about six
to eight servings.

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
>>alright folks...this is serious business.
>>let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

> Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much rules
> out posting anything.

You can sub a low-fat or fat-free cheese or other similar product. Try making a
"cream gravy" out of a little oil, whole wheat flour, favorite seasoning, and
soy milk and use that in place of cheese or other dairy.

Rubystars

"wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> "Rubystars" > went:
>

> >"katie" > wrote in message
> . net.cable.rogers.com...
> >> alright folks...this is serious business.
> >>
> >> let's pull those fave vegan casserole recipes out of the cupboard! ()

> >Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much

rules
> >out posting anything.
> >
> >-Rubystars
> >

> are casseroles something else in america? to me it's just a load of
> vegetables in a dish of water left in the oven for hours until it
> turns into a thick gloop. then put some sliced taties on top and leave
> it for another hour. maybe a few vegetable stock cubes in the water,
> or even a bit of soya mince, but even when i ate cheese i never
> thought of adding any to a casserole.

A casserole in America usually involves meat, cheese, and pasta with some
vegetables thrown in. There are many variations though, a lot of times the
starch is something other than pasta (like rice or potatoes) and meat (or
cheese) isn't always included.

Here are some sites with some typical recipes to kind of show you what I
mean:
http://www.epicurious.com/e_eating/e...asseroles.html
http://allrecipes.com/directory/41.asp

-Rubystars

Allyb

from merriam-webster online

Main Entry: cas·se·role
Pronunciation: 'ka-s&-"rOl also 'ka-z&-
Function: noun
Etymology: French, saucepan, from Middle French, diminutive of casse ladle,
dripping pan, from Old Provençal cassa, probably ultimately from Greek
kyathos ladle
1 : a dish in which food may be baked and served
2 : food cooked and served in a casserole
3 : a deep round usually porcelain dish with a handle used for heating
substances in the laboratory

So, I'd say anything you can bake in a casserole dish in an oven (or
laboratory as the case may be) can be called a casserole. The possibilities
are limitless!

I actually have a casserole cookbook from the 50's or the 60's and was
going to give a fun recipe from it, but alas, it must be packed away
somewhere.... sigh, I may never be cool....

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
. com...

> "wowfabgroovy" > wrote in message
> > "Rubystars" > went:
> >

> > >"katie" > wrote in message

. net.cable.rogers.com...

()

> > >Most good casseroles I know about contain cheese, so that pretty much

> rules
> > >out posting anything.
> > >
> > >-Rubystars
> > >

> > are casseroles something else in america? to me it's just a load of
> > vegetables in a dish of water left in the oven for hours until it
> > turns into a thick gloop. then put some sliced taties on top and leave
> > it for another hour. maybe a few vegetable stock cubes in the water,
> > or even a bit of soya mince, but even when i ate cheese i never
> > thought of adding any to a casserole.

> A casserole in America usually involves meat, cheese, and pasta with some
> vegetables thrown in. There are many variations though, a lot of times

the
> starch is something other than pasta (like rice or potatoes) and meat (or
> cheese) isn't always included.
>
> Here are some sites with some typical recipes to kind of show you what I
> mean:
> http://www.epicurious.com/e_eating/e...asseroles.html
> http://allrecipes.com/directory/41.asp
>
> -Rubystars