Paul Satem

Default Refrigerated Cake Display Cabinet - 'Freshening' Of ..

Hi there,

I have just bought a second hand refrigerated cake display
case/cabinet.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to 're-fresh' it? There is a slight
odour in the cabinet (it has not been used for several years) ... Any
good ideas on how to keep the air in it clean and fresh?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Paul Satem
TheCatinTX

When our freezer broke, and was warm for a couple of days, it developed quite a
bad odor even after cleaning. I put soup bowls baking powder in there and
turned it over with a fork every morning. It took away the odors and kept it
smelling fresh till the repairs were done.

Paul Satem

That sounds like something to try.

Was it baking soda? As opposed to backing powder?

And it is shuold be a safe product to use - considering hygene and all.

(TheCatinTX) wrote in message >...
> When our freezer broke, and was warm for a couple of days, it developed quite a
> bad odor even after cleaning. I put soup bowls baking powder in there and
> turned it over with a fork every morning. It took away the odors and kept it
> smelling fresh till the repairs were done.

Arri London

Paul Satem wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have just bought a second hand refrigerated cake display
> case/cabinet.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to 're-fresh' it? There is a slight
> odour in the cabinet (it has not been used for several years) ... Any
> good ideas on how to keep the air in it clean and fresh?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Satem

First give it a good scrub all over (including shelves/racks) with soap
and water and rinse well. Clean all the air intakes you can find and the
refrigeration coils etc.

Get some cheap plastic food boxes and puncture holes in the lids. Put a
thin layer of baking soda or else that unscented 'crystal' cat litter.
Not the one with clay mixed in, just the colourless crystals. Put the
lids on and put into the cabinet.

Turn the unit on, to get the air circulating. Change the baking soda or
crystals every day until the smell is gone. Then wipe down the interior
again.

Worked quite well when we had a bad smell in the fridge from unknown
sources.