Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Should Sesame Oil be refrigerated?

I have a bottle that is over a year old, and I thought I tasted an
unpleasant after taste. I didn't taste any off flavors while eating
the fried rice I'd made, just afterwards. It's been kept in a cabinet
with closed door, so it's not been out in the light, if that makes a
difference. It's not something I use terribly often, and I will
replace it with a much smaller bottle.
Thanks for your insight, Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Nanzi" > wrote in message
>I have a bottle that is over a year old, and I thought I tasted an
> unpleasant after taste. I didn't taste any off flavors while eating
> the fried rice I'd made, just afterwards. It's been kept in a cabinet
> with closed door, so it's not been out in the light, if that makes a
> difference. It's not something I use terribly often, and I will
> replace it with a much smaller bottle.
> Thanks for your insight, Nan in DE

I always refrigerate it. Seems to retain its flavor much longer and not
develop off flavors.

--
KLC Lewis

WISCONSIN
Where It's So Cool Outside, Nobody Stays Indoors Napping
www.KLCLewisStudios.com

Posted to alt.food.sushi

KLC Lewis wrote:
> "Nanzi" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a bottle that is over a year old, and I thought I tasted an
>>unpleasant after taste. I didn't taste any off flavors while eating
>>the fried rice I'd made, just afterwards. It's been kept in a cabinet
>>with closed door, so it's not been out in the light, if that makes a
>>difference. It's not something I use terribly often, and I will
>>replace it with a much smaller bottle.
>>Thanks for your insight, Nan in DE

> I always refrigerate it. Seems to retain its flavor much longer and not
> develop off flavors.

I don't get really large bottles, so I don't bother to refridgerate it.
It seems to last 6-9 months for me without any issues. I have had some
for several years and had to toss when it went rancid.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Nanzi posted this:
> I have a bottle that is over a year old, and I thought I tasted an
> unpleasant after taste. I didn't taste any off flavors while eating
> the fried rice I'd made, just afterwards. It's been kept in a cabinet
> with closed door, so it's not been out in the light, if that makes a
> difference. It's not something I use terribly often, and I will
> replace it with a much smaller bottle.
> Thanks for your insight, Nan in DE

I kept a bottle on the shelf until the flavor changed & now I keep it in the
fridge and it's a small bottle anyway.

A friend told me to sniff any oil you might have and if it smells like
paint, toss it. Seemed pretty logical & now that he's mentioned it, I always
check freshness that way.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Sep 9, 11:10*am, Nanzi > wrote:
> I have a bottle that is over a year old, and I thought I tasted an
> unpleasant after taste. *I didn't taste any off flavors while eating
> the fried rice I'd made, just afterwards. It's been kept in a cabinet
> with closed door, so it's not been out in the light, if that makes a
> difference. *It's not something I use terribly often, and I will
> replace it with a much smaller bottle.
> Thanks for your insight, Nan in DE

Thanks all, will get new bottle and keep it refrigerated.
Happy Eating.

Does BBQ sauce really go bad (if refrigerated)? [email protected] Barbecue 13 12-06-2008 09:58 PM
does baileys go bad if not refrigerated? s General Cooking 18 29-10-2006 07:58 PM
Is fresh/refrigerated pasta better than dry? pasta queen General Cooking 8 09-10-2006 06:42 PM
Refrigerated Wine Cabnets None Wine 5 11-07-2006 03:57 AM
Must Starter Be Refrigerated? Crombie Sourdough 1 23-02-2004 03:01 AM