Karen Salomon

Default Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated?

Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and sugar.
Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one? The heavy
cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any difference. I'm
frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.

Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well!

Vox Humana

"Karen Salomon" > wrote in message
> Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
> frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and sugar.
> Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one? The heavy
> cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any difference.

I'm
> frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.
>
> Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well!

I suppose that the correct answer is that it has to be refrigerated.
However, if you keep it in a cool place, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless
it is very warm, I don't bother to refrigerate cakes frosted with ganache.
There is a lot of sugar that will act as a preservative.

Ken'

Karen
My Mastercook recipe for Ganache states in the recipe "Do not refrigerate"
If you wish I can send you a copy
Ken'

"Karen Salomon" > wrote in message
> Happy Holidays. I baked a cake and am trying to decide on a ganache
> frosting or a frosting made with 1/2 cup heavy cream, chocolate and sugar.
> Would I need to refrigerate the cakes frosted with either one? The heavy
> cream gets heated first in both recipes, if that makes any difference.

I'm
> frosting the cake today and serving it tomorrow.
>
> Hope everyone's holiday preparations are going well!

Vox Humana

"pilgrim" > wrote in message
> Leave a small glass of your heavy cream next to your finished cake and
> leave them out. Tomorrow, If you think that the cream is not OK to drink
> the cake frosting is probably not OK either.
>
> In other words, I would refrigerate cake frosting (overnight) whenever it
> contains milk or cream.

Considering that the cream was pasteurized (by law), heated to boiling, and
combined with a lot of sugar, I can't imagine it would be a problem. When
you make cream fresh, you not only leave it out for 24 hours, but you leave
it in a warm place and inoculate it with bacteria.

Frosted Honey Cake James Lanka Recipes (moderated) 0 04-01-2009 08:14 PM
Lemon Cream Chocolate Ganache Cake Charles Recipes (moderated) 0 18-10-2007 02:34 AM
Ganache Denise Lane General Cooking 20 03-11-2004 09:54 AM
Refrigerated Cake Display Cabinet - 'Freshening' Of .. Paul Satem General Cooking 7 24-06-2004 11:55 PM
Does a ganache frosted cake need to be refrigerated? Karen Salomon Chocolate 0 24-12-2003 04:50 PM