Dee Randall

Default making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Bruce Hall" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dee Dee,
>
> I didn't realise you could freeze flour?
>
> Bruce

Bruce, you can freeze just about any food; doesn't mean that it will be
palatable after it is thawed. Flour is O.K. to freeze IMO.
But -- the flours that are more difficult for me to find and replace, and
that I feel are more susceptible to bugs, and are in small enough volume(s)
to get into my freezer, that's where they go: into the freezer, especially
organic whole wheat pastry flour; now who wants to go replacing that every
too often.
Dee Dee

TammyM

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:00:12 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"Bruce Hall" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>> Dee Dee,
>>
>> I didn't realise you could freeze flour?
>>
>> Bruce

>Bruce, you can freeze just about any food; doesn't mean that it will be
>palatable after it is thawed. Flour is O.K. to freeze IMO.
>But -- the flours that are more difficult for me to find and replace, and
>that I feel are more susceptible to bugs, and are in small enough volume(s)
>to get into my freezer, that's where they go: into the freezer, especially
>organic whole wheat pastry flour; now who wants to go replacing that every
>too often.
>Dee Dee

I keep all my flour in the freezer: AP, bread, cake, rye, semolina,
WW, pastry, WW pastry. I also keep grains in the freezer too:
oatmeal, oat bran, rice, coarse corn meal and polenta, etc. I keep
wheat germ in the fridge because I use it pretty much daily. I also
keep nuts/seeds in the freezer. My uncle owns a walnut orchard, so I
have pounds and pounds of walnuts. Also almonds, pecans, hazelnuts,
pine nuts. I've lost too many things to creepy crawlies in the past,
I have a large freezer and I bake a lot :-)

TammyM
Kamala Ganesh

graham wrote:

>>>Aids digestion, is anti-inflamatory, *probably* anti-cancer and liver
>>>protective, *possibly* assists in lowering cholesterol levels and
>>>warding off Altzheimers, according to various reports.
>>>
>>>Has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic (?sp) Medicine.
>>>

>>There must be a downside. There's always a downside...
>>

> Probably not. I bet all those reports were NOT in peer-reviewed journals
> and just because it has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic quackery, lends
> it no credence.
> Graham

All medicine is quackery to some extent :-). That said, turmeric is used
in minute quantities in Indian cooking, even if it is used in almost
every dish. The only time, I use turmeric as a medicine, is for sore
throats/colds/coughs. Scald milk with a little turmeric and honey. Use a
fork to beat the turmeric and honey into the milk really well. Drink the
milk hot once in the evening before going to bed to help with cold and
cough symptoms. It works for us every time. By the way, we do not
consider this ayurveda, just the Indian version of chicken-soup therapy :-)

Kamala.
Dee Randall

"Kamala Ganesh" > wrote in message

> All medicine is quackery to some extent :-). That said, turmeric is used
> in minute quantities in Indian cooking, even if it is used in almost every
> dish. The only time, I use turmeric as a medicine, is for sore
> throats/colds/coughs. Scald milk with a little turmeric and honey. Use a
> fork to beat the turmeric and honey into the milk really well. Drink the
> milk hot once in the evening before going to bed to help with cold and
> cough symptoms. It works for us every time. By the way, we do not consider
> this ayurveda, just the Indian version of chicken-soup therapy :-)
>
> Kamala.

Thanks Kamala. I'm always looking for another way to use tumeric. I eat
Indian food occasionally made at home- only simple stuff, dal and rice and
raita basically. Sometimes a vegetable stew with lots of spices. (I put
tumeric in scrambled eggs and sometimes a little in rice.) I guess I eat a
little Italian and a little Aerican style cooking, but I just can't figure
a way to get enough tumeric and cinnamon in my diet.
Can you give me a few things you use tumeric in that an American cook might
use either -- other than cina-buns! -- tee hee.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Kamala Ganesh

Dee Randall wrote:

>>All medicine is quackery to some extent :-). That said, turmeric is used
>>in minute quantities in Indian cooking, even if it is used in almost every
>>dish. The only time, I use turmeric as a medicine, is for sore
>>throats/colds/coughs. Scald milk with a little turmeric and honey. Use a
>>fork to beat the turmeric and honey into the milk really well. Drink the
>>milk hot once in the evening before going to bed to help with cold and
>>cough symptoms. It works for us every time. By the way, we do not consider
>>this ayurveda, just the Indian version of chicken-soup therapy :-)
>>
>>Kamala.

> Thanks Kamala. I'm always looking for another way to use tumeric. I eat
> Indian food occasionally made at home- only simple stuff, dal and rice and
> raita basically. Sometimes a vegetable stew with lots of spices. (I put
> tumeric in scrambled eggs and sometimes a little in rice.) I guess I eat a
> little Italian and a little Aerican style cooking, but I just can't figure
> a way to get enough tumeric and cinnamon in my diet.
> Can you give me a few things you use tumeric in that an American cook might
> use either -- other than cina-buns! -- tee hee.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee,
You can add turmeric to almost any recipe that has some fat(oil/butter)
and acid and where you would not mind the color. The yellow does not
show much in tomato-based dishes. So, soups and stews having tomato as
an ingredient are great dishes to start adding turmeric to. Add about
1/8th or less tsp. of turmeric after the sauteeing-onions-in-oil stage
and then continue with the rest of your recipe.
Cinnamon is harder because it has a strong flavor and can overpower
delicate dishes. It should be OK to add a little bit in chilis, pilafs,
etc. But, I would rather just sprinkle some in breakfast oatmeal or
toast if I wanted to get more of it.
Hope this helps.

Kamals.

Dee Randall

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>>>All medicine is quackery to some extent :-). That said, turmeric is used
>>>in minute quantities in Indian cooking, even if it is used in almost
>>>every dish. The only time, I use turmeric as a medicine, is for sore
>>>throats/colds/coughs. Scald milk with a little turmeric and honey. Use a
>>>fork to beat the turmeric and honey into the milk really well. Drink the
>>>milk hot once in the evening before going to bed to help with cold and
>>>cough symptoms. It works for us every time. By the way, we do not
>>>consider this ayurveda, just the Indian version of chicken-soup therapy
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>Kamala.

>> Thanks Kamala. I'm always looking for another way to use tumeric. I eat
>> Indian food occasionally made at home- only simple stuff, dal and rice
>> and raita basically. Sometimes a vegetable stew with lots of spices. (I
>> put tumeric in scrambled eggs and sometimes a little in rice.) I guess I
>> eat a little Italian and a little Aerican style cooking, but I just
>> can't figure a way to get enough tumeric and cinnamon in my diet.
>> Can you give me a few things you use tumeric in that an American cook
>> might use either -- other than cina-buns! -- tee hee.
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Dee Dee,
> You can add turmeric to almost any recipe that has some fat(oil/butter)
> and acid and where you would not mind the color. The yellow does not show
> much in tomato-based dishes. So, soups and stews having tomato as an
> ingredient are great dishes to start adding turmeric to. Add about 1/8th
> or less tsp. of turmeric after the sauteeing-onions-in-oil stage and then
> continue with the rest of your recipe.
> Cinnamon is harder because it has a strong flavor and can overpower
> delicate dishes. It should be OK to add a little bit in chilis, pilafs,
> etc. But, I would rather just sprinkle some in breakfast oatmeal or toast
> if I wanted to get more of it.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kamals.

Thanks Kamals -- oatmeal for breakfast!
Dee Dee

Bob Terwilliger

Default Cinnamon and Turmeric

Dee Dee wrote:

> Can you give me a few things you use tumeric in that an American cook
> might use either -- other than cina-buns! -- tee hee.

Cinnamon and turmeric are standard spices in several cuisines: Moroccan,
Lebanese, and Indian. Here are some examples:

from
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/...L-PAGE,00.html
Chicken Tagine with Olives and Preserved Lemons
Recipe courtesy Boujemaa Mars, La Mamounia, Marrakech

Rock salt
1 whole large chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon real saffron
Pinch fine salt
1/2 pound onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 pound gizzards, optional
1/4 pound chicken liver, optional
1/4 cup mixed olives, pitted
3 small preserved lemons
Serving suggestion: bread

First rub the rock salt into the chicken pieces and then wash the chicken in
the white wine vinegar and water. Leave for 10 minutes. Rinse and dry and
place onto a clean plate.

In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, coriander, cinnamon, saffron, fine salt,
1/2 the onions, garlic, cumin, ginger, paprika, turmeric. Mix all these
ingredients into the oil and crush the garlic and add a little water to make
a paste.

Roll the chicken pieces into the marinade and leave for 10 to 15 minutes.

For cooking, use a tagine (traditional Moroccan dish) or a deep, heavy
bottom casserole dish. Heat the dish up and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
to the hot dish. Drop in the chicken and pour over the excess marinade
juices. Add the remaining onions, gizzards, chicken livers, olives, and
chopped preserved lemons (no pulp).

Cook in medium hot oven (350 degrees F) for 45 minutes.

Serve with fresh bread. [BOB'S NOTE: Or cous-cous, of course!]

from http://www.gourmet.gr/recipes/tunisi...d=25&arid=5421

Tunisian vegetable stew

1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 Tbs olive oil
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
dash of salt
1 large green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, (or to taste)
1 28 oz. can undrained, chopped tomato
1 16 oz. can drained garbanzo beans
1/3 cup currents or raisins
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 cups cooked couscous (below)
4 Tbs feta cheese
toasted slivered almonds
salt, to taste

In a large non-stick oven, sauté the onions in olive oil for 5 minutes, or
until softened. Add the cabbage, sprinkle with salt, and continue to sauté
for at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell pepper,
coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne to the pot and sauté for another
minute for so. Stir in the tomatoes, chick peas, and currents or raisins,
and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are just
tender. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste. Serve over couscous, top with
crumbled feta cheese, and toasted almonds if you like.

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/Harira.asp
Harira
Submitted by: Usman
"This is the soup that Moroccans traditionally use to break the fast every
night of Ramadan. Season with salt, pepper, mint leaves and cinnamon to
taste." Original recipe yield: 6 servings.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound cubed lamb meat
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons margarine
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 onion, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
7 cups water
3/4 cup green lentils
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
4 ounces vermicelli pasta
2 eggs, beaten
1 lemon, juiced

DIRECTIONS:
Place the lamb, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, butter,
celery, onion, and cilantro into a large soup pot over a low heat. Stir
frequently for 5 minutes. Pour tomatoes (reserve juice) into the mixture and
let simmer for 15 minutes.
Pour tomato juice, 7 cups water, and the lentils into the pot. Bring the
mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer. Let soup simmer, covered,
for 2 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving turn the heat to medium-high, place
chickpeas and noodles into the soup, let cook about 10 minutes (until
noodles are al dente). Stir in lemon and eggs, let eggs cook 1 minute.

from www.ketisharif.com/recipes.html
Chickpea stew

2 cups chickpeas soaked overnight
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 can whole tomatoes
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped coriander
1/4 cup chopped parsley
8 threads saffron, lightly toasted
6 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Fry onions until golden.
Meanwhile, blend tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cilantro, parsley and
saffron in blender. Add to onions, cover and bring to boil over high heat.
Lower heat to simmer. After 15 minutes, add chickpeas and lower heat to
medium and cover tightly. Cook 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bob

Dee Randall

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
>> Can you give me a few things you use tumeric in that an American cook
>> might use either -- other than cina-buns! -- tee hee.

> Cinnamon and turmeric are standard spices in several cuisines: Moroccan,
> Lebanese, and Indian. Here are some examples:

Thanks, Bob, I love this type of cooking/food. Thanks for taking the time
to post this.
Dee Dee

Fish stew, North African style Timo General Cooking 0 01-09-2015 11:16 PM
OAKING Itialian Juice Tom Winemaking 0 12-10-2006 03:35 AM
North Carolina Eastern Style Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-04-2006 12:08 PM
Fresh Eggs - Frozen style Tony P. General Cooking 0 29-01-2005 11:35 PM
Making fresh pasta Louis Cohen General Cooking 14 09-01-2004 08:07 PM