FoodBanter.com

-   -   making fresh pasta, North Itialian style? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/72257-making-fresh-pasta-north.html)

bugbear 17-10-2005 09:06 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

A while ago (hell - it's a year) I posted a question
about pasta making.

I'm still failing.

Has anyone been to Northern Italy (e.g. Florence,
but I imagine Tuscany in general) enjoyed the local
soft-textured pasta, then returned to dear old
Blighty, and

*successfully reproduced the pasta at home* ?

I have one of these:
http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_...ta_machine.htm
Which should help with part of the processs.

Yours in hungry anticipation...

BugBear

Pandora 17-10-2005 10:10 AM

"bugbear" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>A while ago (hell - it's a year) I posted a question
> about pasta making.
>
> I'm still failing.
>
> Has anyone been to Northern Italy (e.g. Florence,
> but I imagine Tuscany in general) enjoyed the local
> soft-textured pasta, then returned to dear old
> Blighty, and
>
> *successfully reproduced the pasta at home* ?
>
> I have one of these:
> http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_...ta_machine.htm
> Which should help with part of the processs.
>
> Yours in hungry anticipation...
>
> BugBear

I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

bugbear 17-10-2005 10:15 AM

Pandora wrote:

> I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)

BugBear

OmManiPadmeOmelet 17-10-2005 10:27 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

In article >,
bugbear > wrote:

> Pandora wrote:
> >
> > I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)
> >

> Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)
>
> BugBear

<lol> I thought the same thing, but restrained myself.....
--
Om.

Ophelia 17-10-2005 11:00 AM

"bugbear" > wrote in message
> Pandora wrote:
>>
>> I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

> Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)

Bugbear, if you have had success making it in Italy but not in UK may I
suggest the flour is the difference. You can buy 00 flour in UK in
supermarkets

buceriasdon 17-10-2005 11:51 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Greetings> That s my vote also, it`s about the flour. I have to add
gluten to the flour available here. From there is learning to adjust
the ratio of flour to egg to get a firm silky dough with water or flour
after kneading. Regards, Don in Mexico

bugbear 17-10-2005 12:38 PM

Ophelia wrote:
> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

>>Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)

> Bugbear, if you have had success making it in Italy

I have had success only in EATING the pasta
in Italy (and a great deal of pleasure, I might add)

> but not in UK may I
> suggest the flour is the difference. You can buy 00 flour in UK in
> supermarkets

I have used both '0' and '00' flour
with no improvement; indeed, with no detectable
change.

Whatever I'm doing wrong, it's a strong enough
factor to outweigh other factors :-(

BugBear

bugbear 17-10-2005 12:41 PM

bugbear wrote:
> A while ago (hell - it's a year) I posted a question
> about pasta making.

OOps. Forgot the link.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...6ebb9a358d44a0

BugBear

Judith Umbria 17-10-2005 12:47 PM

"bugbear" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

> >>Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)

> > Bugbear, if you have had success making it in Italy

> I have had success only in EATING the pasta
> in Italy (and a great deal of pleasure, I might add)
>
> > but not in UK may I
> > suggest the flour is the difference. You can buy 00 flour in UK in
> > supermarkets

> I have used both '0' and '00' flour
> with no improvement; indeed, with no detectable
> change.
>
> Whatever I'm doing wrong, it's a strong enough
> factor to outweigh other factors :-(
>
> BugBear

Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
You don't really say what your malfunction is....

bugbear 17-10-2005 01:30 PM

Judith go wrote:
> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>
> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

Because I don't know :-(

The only constant is the texture of my result;
the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.

In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
as "slimy leather".

Not good!

I have had this same result with 3 types of flour.
(bread, type '0' and type '00')

BugBear

Ophelia 17-10-2005 01:59 PM

"bugbear" > wrote in message
> Judith go wrote:
>> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>>
>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the
>> packet.
>> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

> Because I don't know :-(
>
> The only constant is the texture of my result;
> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>
> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
> as "slimy leather".
>
> Not good!
>
> I have had this same result with 3 types of flour.
> (bread, type '0' and type '00')

then the only other thing is, as Judith says, fine semolina flour:)

Good luck

Dee Randall 17-10-2005 02:44 PM

"bugbear" > wrote in message
> Judith go wrote:
>> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>>
>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
>> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

> Because I don't know :-(
>
> The only constant is the texture of my result;
> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>
> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
> as "slimy leather".

Funny, this is the apt description of how most restaurant home-made raviolis
I've tasted in New Haven, CT: smooth surface, dense, slimy leather -- but
good.
Dee Dee

Andy 17-10-2005 02:51 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> "bugbear" > wrote in

message
>> Judith go wrote:
>>> "bugbear" > wrote in

message

>>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes

on the
>>> packet. From there you can experiment to get where you

wish to be.
>>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

>> Because I don't know :-(
>>
>> The only constant is the texture of my result;
>> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>>
>> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
>> as "slimy leather".
>>

> Funny, this is the apt description of how most restaurant

home-made
> raviolis I've tasted in New Haven, CT: smooth surface,

dense, slimy
> leather -- but good.
> Dee Dee

I make my homemade pasta (and a FUN mess) with semolina flour.

I usually add tumeric to golden up on the color appeal.

Andy

Dee Randall 17-10-2005 03:02 PM

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote
>

>> "bugbear" > wrote in

> message

> message

> on the

> wish to be.
>>>
>>> Because I don't know :-(
>>>
>>> The only constant is the texture of my result;
>>> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>>>
>>> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
>>> as "slimy leather".
>>>

>> Funny, this is the apt description of how most restaurant

> home-made
>> raviolis I've tasted in New Haven, CT: smooth surface,

> dense, slimy
>> leather -- but good.
>> Dee Dee

> I make my homemade pasta (and a FUN mess) with semolina flour.
>
> I usually add tumeric to golden up on the color appeal.
>
> Andy

I've noticed in markets now "pasta flour" which is probably 1/2-1/2
semolina. But I can't say for sure. I have some in my freezer, but haven't
tried it yet.

But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for another
way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I like the funky
taste.
Dee Dee

C & S 17-10-2005 03:39 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Unfortunately, I've never tasted pasta in Italy so I cannot make a
comparison with my home made pasta. However, I've used both semolina and
regular flour (US flour - I use Canadian flour for bread making) and have
had success with both. I don't have the slimy leather texture, which I
would think was a good thing (perhaps I need to visit New Haven, CT ;o).
When I make pasta I use only one type of flour. I've always understood
pasta to be made with semolina until I recently read the Cook's Illustrated
book on pasta and tried the flour type (his semolina pasta has a combination
of both flours). I prefer the semolina but it's a close call. Perhaps if
you elaborate, the recipe you use, how long do you knead, do you let it sit
etc..? As for the appliance, I use the KitchenAid pasta attachments. It's
great having both hands free to manipulate the sheets.

Carole

Andy 17-10-2005 03:40 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Dee Randall" > wrote

>> I make my homemade pasta (and a FUN mess) with semolina flour.
>>
>> I usually add tumeric to golden up on the color appeal.
>>
>> Andy

> I've noticed in markets now "pasta flour" which is probably 1/2-1/2
> semolina. But I can't say for sure. I have some in my freezer, but
> haven't tried it yet.
>
> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for
> another way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I
> like the funky taste.
> Dee Dee

It's GOOD for you??? I had nary a clue.

The amount I add, usually two teaspoons to a 3 cup semolina batch,
doesn't really figure into the flavor, well after adding marinara sauce
and parmesan cheese, anyways.

It's not worth it if you combine the s'ghetti with marinara and paremsan
prior to serving.

Andy

Elaine Jones 17-10-2005 04:04 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Quoting from message >
posted on 17 Oct 2005 by Andy
I would like to add:

> "Dee Randall" > wrote

>> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for
>> another way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I
>> like the funky taste.
>> Dee Dee

> It's GOOD for you??? I had nary a clue.

Aids digestion, is anti-inflamatory, *probably* anti-cancer and liver
protective, *possibly* assists in lowering cholesterol levels and
warding off Altzheimers, according to various reports.

Has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic (?sp) Medicine.

--
..ElaineJ. Home Pages and FAQ of uk.food+drink.indian can be viewed at
..Virtual. http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/index.html

Sheldon 17-10-2005 04:15 PM

Dumbdora wrote:

> I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian

That means you reproduced with a donkey.

Sheldon

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:24 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"bugbear" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>>
>> I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

> Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)
>
> BugBear

I have posted many recipes with fresh eggs pasta! For example Fettuccine
with porcini mushrooms and "little guitar with zucchini's flowers". Haven't
you seen them?
tell me!
cheers
pandora

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:27 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"bugbear" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Ophelia wrote:

>>>Yes. But what about making pasta ;-)

>> Bugbear, if you have had success making it in Italy

> I have had success only in EATING the pasta
> in Italy (and a great deal of pleasure, I might add)
>
> > but not in UK may I
>> suggest the flour is the difference. You can buy 00 flour in UK in
>> supermarkets

> I have used both '0' and '00' flour
> with no improvement; indeed, with no detectable
> change.
>
> Whatever I'm doing wrong, it's a strong enough
> factor to outweigh other factors :-(

How many eggs do you put? You must put 1 big egg every hg. of flour. If you
want you can add 1 tbs of olive oil. 00 flour is OK!
Pandora

Hoges in WA 17-10-2005 04:33 PM

"bugbear" > wrote in message
> Judith go wrote:
>> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>>
>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
>> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

> Because I don't know :-(
>
> The only constant is the texture of my result;
> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>
> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
> as "slimy leather".
>
> Not good!
>
> I have had this same result with 3 types of flour.
> (bread, type '0' and type '00')
>
> BugBear

I saw on a cable show called Avventura a lady making pasta at home in Italy.
She said she didn't like using a machine because the smooth rollers made the
pasta smooth and she used a wooden roller on a wooden board to overcome
this.

Said with the unevenness of the wood, it left the pasta rough so it would
pick up sauce better.

Actually, she said it in Italian and the guy translated it, otherwise I
wouldn't have known what she said.

FWIW.

Hoges in WA

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:37 PM

"Judith Umbria" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "bugbear" > wrote in message

>> > Bugbear, if you have had success making it in Italy

>> I have had success only in EATING the pasta
>> in Italy (and a great deal of pleasure, I might add)
>>
>> > but not in UK may I
>> > suggest the flour is the difference. You can buy 00 flour in UK in
>> > supermarkets

>> I have used both '0' and '00' flour
>> with no improvement; indeed, with no detectable
>> change.
>>
>> Whatever I'm doing wrong, it's a strong enough
>> factor to outweigh other factors :-(
>>
>> BugBear

> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

Semola flour is ok for making "pasta di semola" with water and not with
eggs.
BTW I didn't understand what is the problem of Bugbear.
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:43 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"bugbear" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Judith go wrote:
>> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>>
>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
>> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

> Because I don't know :-(
>
> The only constant is the texture of my result;
> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>
> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
> as "slimy leather".

If it is slimy, make the dough more thick passing it at second-last position
of pasta machine.
Cheers
pandora

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:48 PM

"Dee Randall" ha scritto nel messaggio
> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for another
> way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I like the
> funky
> taste.
> Dee Dee

What is tumeric?
Pan

Pandora 17-10-2005 04:54 PM

"Hoges in WA" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>> Judith go wrote:
>>> "bugbear" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
>>> From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>>> I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>>> You don't really say what your malfunction is....

>> Because I don't know :-(
>>
>> The only constant is the texture of my result;
>> the pasta is dense, and the surface very smooth.
>>
>> In the mouth it has a texture I would describe
>> as "slimy leather".
>>
>> Not good!
>>
>> I have had this same result with 3 types of flour.
>> (bread, type '0' and type '00')
>>
>> BugBear

> I saw on a cable show called Avventura a lady making pasta at home in
> Italy. She said she didn't like using a machine because the smooth rollers
> made the pasta smooth and she used a wooden roller on a wooden board to
> overcome this.
>
> Said with the unevenness of the wood, it left the pasta rough so it would
> pick up sauce better.
>
> Actually, she said it in Italian and the guy translated it, otherwise I
> wouldn't have known what she said.
>
> FWIW.
>
> Hoges in WA

Yes. it's true! if you want a rough pasta you need a wood pasta board (used
and cut many times before) and a wooden roller.
BTW my pasta, maden with Pasta machine is rough enough! And you know whY? I
don't let my pasta dry before cut it.

--
cheers
Pandora

Dee Randall 17-10-2005 05:25 PM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for another
>> way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I like the
>> funky
>> taste.
>> Dee Dee

> What is tumeric?
> Pan

Pandora, just do a google; actually there is just too much information on
the net about it for me to write it out here. It is a spice, mostly used in
Indian cooking, but also to color mustard, and MORE!!!
Dee Dee

Pandora 17-10-2005 06:52 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee Randall" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for
>>> another
>>> way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I like the
>>> funky
>>> taste.
>>> Dee Dee

>> What is tumeric?
>> Pan
>>>

> Pandora, just do a google; actually there is just too much information on
> the net about it for me to write it out here. It is a spice, mostly used
> in Indian cooking, but also to color mustard, and MORE!!!
> Dee Dee

Thank you ! I Am curious ! I will google :)
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora 17-10-2005 06:55 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee Randall" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for
>>> another
>>> way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I like the
>>> funky
>>> taste.
>>> Dee Dee

>> What is tumeric?
>> Pan
>>>

> Pandora, just do a google; actually there is just too much information on
> the net about it for me to write it out here. It is a spice, mostly used
> in Indian cooking, but also to color mustard, and MORE!!!
> Dee Dee

I've seen!!!! I know it. We call it Curcuma! I like it very much! I put it
almost in every dish!

--
cheers
Pandora

Judith Umbria 17-10-2005 07:52 PM

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Judith Umbria" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> > Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the packet.
> > From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
> > I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
> > You don't really say what your malfunction is....

> Semola flour is ok for making "pasta di semola" with water and not with
> eggs.
> BTW I didn't understand what is the problem of Bugbear.
> Cheers
> Pandora

Pandora, when you can't find a flour you like you can at least get a good
Manitoba if you buy semolina. It isn't the same in the US. It's there,
somewhere, but you have to keep trying and trying.
I have made both no egg and egg pasta with semolina in the US. The egg
wrinkles up when cooked and holds slick sauces like creams and mushrooms
quite well.
I like a firmer pasta, a personal choice, so I use grano duro instead of
grano tenero usually.
I am wondering if Bugbear is using loads of rapidly, rolling boiling water
with a handful of salt and taking the pasta out when it floats up?
He hates the texture or consistenza of his homemade pasta.
Another difference is the pale eggs one gets in most of the US. There seems
to be less yolk, too, as well as paler yolks.
I cannot handroll pasta due to a slight handicap, but my roller works fine
for me.

Judith Umbria 17-10-2005 07:54 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dumbdora wrote:
> >
> > I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian

> That means you reproduced with a donkey.
>
> Sheldon

Go away, Sheldon. I left rec.food.cooking to avoid jackasses like you and I
don't miss you.

golf4 17-10-2005 08:20 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:06:57 +0100, bugbear
> wrote:

>A while ago (hell - it's a year) I posted a question
>about pasta making.
>
>I'm still failing.
>
>Has anyone been to Northern Italy (e.g. Florence,
>but I imagine Tuscany in general) enjoyed the local
>soft-textured pasta, then returned to dear old
>Blighty, and
>
>*successfully reproduced the pasta at home* ?
>
>I have one of these:
>http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_...ta_machine.htm
>Which should help with part of the processs.
>
>Yours in hungry anticipation...
>
> BugBear

There is a good cooking program there in the UK. Called Ready Steady
Cook on BBC2, they make pasta all the time using the same machine.
The recipes are on their web site. They make it in less than 5 minutes
We watch it here in Germany on SKY

golf4

Adrian Tupper 17-10-2005 10:12 PM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Elaine Jones > wrote in news:fb704fbb4d.E@cae-
coed.zetnet.co.uk:

> Quoting from message >
> posted on 17 Oct 2005 by Andy
> I would like to add:
>
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote

>>> But THANK YOU for the tumeric suggestion. I'm always looking for
>>> another way to use tumeric. It's so good for you. Not only that, I
>>> like the funky taste.
>>> Dee Dee

>> It's GOOD for you??? I had nary a clue.

> Aids digestion, is anti-inflamatory, *probably* anti-cancer and liver
> protective, *possibly* assists in lowering cholesterol levels and
> warding off Altzheimers, according to various reports.
>
> Has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic (?sp) Medicine.

There must be a downside. There's always a downside...

--
Adrian

Gregory Morrow 17-10-2005 11:51 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> Dumbdora wrote:
> >
> > I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian

> That means you reproduced with a donkey.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf.../parton%20leav...

PARTON: 'LEAVE MY BOOBS ALONE'

"Country music star DOLLY PARTON is keen to refute tabloid claims that
her bounteous bosom is ruining her health.

The JOLENE singer is stunned that after so many years in the public
eye, her breasts still attract tabloid attention.

She says, "(The tabloids) are always talking about my boobs... They
are not that big, it's just that I'm little and they're big in
comparison...

"They tell all these freak stories; that they are so big that I refuse
to have 'em reduced, and they're so big that they're ruining my life
and my health and they're breaking my back.

"They'll have things in the tabloids where it says I'm flat on my
back, I can't move and I can't get up and down because of the boobs.
And then in that same story, they'll have me having an affair with
some ******* or some young boy. I keep thinking, 'Well, if I'm that
sexually active, I'm doing pretty good for a cripple flat on my
back!'"

But Parton does admit that her chest can be weighty at time, adding,
"They are heavy, but to be honest, if they get too heavy, I got some
bongo stands I just go rest them on."

</>

Elaine Jones 18-10-2005 12:24 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Quoting from message >
posted on 17 Oct 2005 by Adrian Tupper
I would like to add:

> Elaine Jones > wrote in news:fb704fbb4d.E@cae-
> coed.zetnet.co.uk:
>
>> Quoting from message >
>> posted on 17 Oct 2005 by Andy
>> I would like to add:
>>
>>> "Dee Randall" > wrote

>>> It's GOOD for you??? I had nary a clue.

>> Aids digestion, is anti-inflamatory, *probably* anti-cancer and liver
>> protective, *possibly* assists in lowering cholesterol levels and
>> warding off Altzheimers, according to various reports.
>>
>> Has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic (?sp) Medicine.
>>

> There must be a downside. There's always a downside...

Apparently high concentrations can go the other way with the liver
(but none of the reports I looked at incicated a safe level - I take
it they don't know)

--
..ElaineJ. Home Pages and FAQ of uk.food+drink.indian can be viewed at
..Kinetic. http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/ufdi/index.html

Joseph Littleshoes 18-10-2005 12:29 AM

Pandora wrote:

> "bugbear" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> >A while ago (hell - it's a year) I posted a question
> > about pasta making.
> >
> > I'm still failing.
> >
> > Has anyone been to Northern Italy (e.g. Florence,
> > but I imagine Tuscany in general) enjoyed the local
> > soft-textured pasta, then returned to dear old
> > Blighty, and
> >
> > *successfully reproduced the pasta at home* ?
> >
> > I have one of these:
> >

> http://www.sharpknives.com/gourmets_...ta_machine.htm
>
> > Which should help with part of the processs.
> >
> > Yours in hungry anticipation...
> >
> > BugBear

> I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian :)

I used to work at an Italian resturant whose focus was Northern Italian
cuisine, i have never been abel to reproduce the owner/chefs pasta
Romana made with his own fennel flavoured sausage.

However iirc he just used semolina and eggs mixed/kneaded it to the
right consistancy (there was a large industrail mixer for this) let it
rest a bit then rolled it out on a big pasta board, folded it over
several times and sliced it into 1/2 in wide noodles. He would let it
'dry' in several large piles for not more than 15 minutes or so then
cook it up and re heat it as necessary.

He would precook a big bunch at a time, then re heat them as needed in
boiling water just before plateing..

I dont have exact quatities for the eggs and semolina i just mix till it
feels right. but roughly 1 egg for about every 1 & 1/2 cup of semolina.
Though any kind of flour can be used, potato, rice, whole wheat, rye
etc.
---
JL

graham 18-10-2005 03:01 AM

"Adrian Tupper" > wrote in message
> Elaine Jones > wrote in
> coed.zetnet.co.uk:
>
>> Quoting from message >
>> posted on 17 Oct 2005 by Andy
>> I would like to add:
>>
>>> "Dee Randall" > wrote

>>> It's GOOD for you??? I had nary a clue.

>> Aids digestion, is anti-inflamatory, *probably* anti-cancer and liver
>> protective, *possibly* assists in lowering cholesterol levels and
>> warding off Altzheimers, according to various reports.
>>
>> Has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic (?sp) Medicine.
>>

> There must be a downside. There's always a downside...

Probably not. I bet all those reports were NOT in peer-reviewed journals
and just because it has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic quackery, lends
it no credence.
Graham

Bruce Hall 18-10-2005 06:46 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

Dee Dee,

I didn't realise you could freeze flour?

Bruce

Pandora 18-10-2005 08:21 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Judith Umbria" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message

>> > Try buying semolina pasta flour and following the recipes on the
>> > packet.
>> > From there you can experiment to get where you wish to be.
>> > I made pasta at home for years before moving to Italy.
>> > You don't really say what your malfunction is....

>> Semola flour is ok for making "pasta di semola" with water and not with
>> eggs.
>> BTW I didn't understand what is the problem of Bugbear.
>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Pandora, when you can't find a flour you like you can at least get a good
> Manitoba if you buy semolina.

Once upon a time I used manitoba flour to make eggs pasta but this one, came
out very soft: I didn't like it!

It isn't the same in the US. It's there,
> somewhere, but you have to keep trying and trying.
> I have made both no egg and egg pasta with semolina in the US. The egg
> wrinkles up when cooked and holds slick sauces like creams and mushrooms
> quite well.

Yes! very good!

> I like a firmer pasta, a personal choice, so I use grano duro instead of
> grano tenero usually.
> I am wondering if Bugbear is using loads of rapidly, rolling boiling water
> with a handful of salt and taking the pasta out when it floats up?

I don't know!

> He hates the texture or consistenza of his homemade pasta.
> Another difference is the pale eggs one gets in most of the US. There
> seems
> to be less yolk, too, as well as paler yolks.

One should buy eggs of free-range chicken

> I cannot handroll pasta due to a slight handicap, but my roller works fine
> for me.

Yes, also for mine :)

--
cheers
Pandora

Pandora 18-10-2005 08:22 AM

making fresh pasta, North Itialian style?

"Judith Umbria" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Dumbdora wrote:
>> >
>> > I have reproduced successfully. But I Am italian

>> That means you reproduced with a donkey.
>>
>> Sheldon
>>

> Go away, Sheldon. I left rec.food.cooking to avoid jackasses like you and
> don't miss you.

WELL SAID!

Chris Bacon 18-10-2005 10:22 AM

Pandora wrote:
> "Judith Umbria" ha scritto...
>>>That means you reproduced with a donkey.

>>Go away, Sheldon. I left rec.food.cooking to avoid jackasses like you and
>>I don't miss you.

> WELL SAID!

Well, *don't cross-post back there, then!* Simple.