Nancy Young

Default Sauerbraten help?

I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
just missing it.

5 lb rump roast

Marinate for 5 days:

2 cups wine vinegar
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Bay leaves
Salt & Pepper
3 medium onions - diced
2 large carrots - diced
2 stalks celery - diced
Whole peppercorns

Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
turn over each day.

Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
later on.

Gingersnap gravy:

2 tablespoons sugar
10 gingersnap crumbs
Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!

Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
I guess this is where she's adding the carrots
back?

Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
3, 4 answers for me?

Thank you, nancy

Peter Aitken

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
> delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
> how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
> just missing it.
>
> 5 lb rump roast
>
> Marinate for 5 days:
>
> 2 cups wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> Bay leaves
> Salt & Pepper
> 3 medium onions - diced
> 2 large carrots - diced
> 2 stalks celery - diced
> Whole peppercorns
>
> Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
> turn over each day.
>
> Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
> vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
> later on.
>
> Gingersnap gravy:
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 10 gingersnap crumbs
> Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
> Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
>
> Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
> I guess this is where she's adding the carrots
> back?
>
> Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
> 3, 4 answers for me?
>
> Thank you, nancy

I would use red wine vinegar although white would work too. After the 5 days
of marination, scrape marinade off the meat and pat dry, then brown as
usual. Once you add the strained marinade back, bring to a simmer on the
stove top then into a 325 oven, covered. Cook to desired tenderness, maybe 2
hours, maybe more depending on the meat. Turn the meat once or twice while
cooking.

Hope this helps. Now I want sauerbraten - I have not had it in ages!

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon

Nancy Young wrote:
> I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
> delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
> how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
> just missing it.
>
> 5 lb rump roast
>
> Marinate for 5 days:
>
> 2 cups wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> Bay leaves
> Salt & Pepper
> 3 medium onions - diced
> 2 large carrots - diced
> 2 stalks celery - diced
> Whole peppercorns
>
> Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
> turn over each day.
>
> Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
> vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
> later on.
>
> Gingersnap gravy:
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 10 gingersnap crumbs
> Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
> Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
>
> Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
> I guess this is where she's adding the carrots
> back?
>
> Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
> 3, 4 answers for me?
>
> Thank you, nancy

Here's a basic-basic... hope it clears things up for you... it's pretty
much what I do but I use ordinary white vinegar and as much dago red...
I also like to add a few juniper berries, and a half a cinnamon stick.
Essentially it's pot roast, there are no rulz.

SAUERBRATEN

6 pound rump of beef or rolled boned chuck
1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
5 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 tablespoons salt
2 onions, sliced
4 tablespoons shortening or oil
5 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps

It is best to have the meat in one solid piece, but if it is boned and
rolled, make sure it has no added covering of suet. Combine the
vinegar, wine, water and seasonings, pour this mixture over the meat.
Add the sliced onions. Keep meat in the refrigerator, covered with
marinade, for 1-3 days, turning occasionally. (Purists say it should be
3 days; I find 1 day sufficient.) Remove meat from marinade, wipe dry
with paper towels and brown in the shortening over high heat,
sprinkling with 1 tablespoon flour. Strain and add marinade, cover,
lower heat and cook gently for 4-5 hours, until fork-tender. Remove
meat and keep in warm place. Pour off the stock. In the same kettle,
melt the butter, add the remaining flour and the sugar, stirring until
smooth and browned. Slowly add the stock, cooking until smooth and
thickened. Add the crushed gingersnaps, and cook until dissolved.
Replace meat in the sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer. Meanwhile, cook
noodles to serve with the sauerbraten. This dish tastes better the
second day.

House & Garden
January 1963
Betty Wason

Nancy Young

Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
posted eight million times, I'll look.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 14 Oct 2005 12:47:43p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
> delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
> how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
> just missing it.
>
> 5 lb rump roast
>
> Marinate for 5 days:
>
> 2 cups wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> Bay leaves
> Salt & Pepper
> 3 medium onions - diced
> 2 large carrots - diced
> 2 stalks celery - diced
> Whole peppercorns
>
> Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
> turn over each day.
>
> Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
> vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
> later on.
>
> Gingersnap gravy:
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 10 gingersnap crumbs
> Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
> Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
>
> Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
> I guess this is where she's adding the carrots
> back?
>
> Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
> 3, 4 answers for me?
>
> Thank you, nancy

Basically, it's braised or cooked like pot roast, Nancy. Cooked at a bare
simmer, and will take several hours, nice and slow.

The diced carrots mentioned with the onion and celery are added while the
meat is marinating, then cooked with the meat during braising. She
apparently adds other carrots later to be "just done" as the dish is
completed.

I would use white wine vinegar, but either would taste good. I would not
get a wine vinegar that contains other flavors.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 14 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
> delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
> how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
> just missing it.
>
> 5 lb rump roast
>
> Marinate for 5 days:
>
> 2 cups wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> Bay leaves
> Salt & Pepper
> 3 medium onions - diced
> 2 large carrots - diced
> 2 stalks celery - diced
> Whole peppercorns
>
> Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
> turn over each day.
>
> Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
> vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
> later on.
>
> Gingersnap gravy:
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 10 gingersnap crumbs
> Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
> Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
>
> Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
> I guess this is where she's adding the
> carrots
> back?
>
> Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
> 3, 4 answers for me?
>
> Thank you, nancy

Sauerbraten Mit Spatzle (Pot Roast With Dumplings)

----SAUERBRATEN----
5 lb pot roast
4 cup water
4 cup wine vinegar
1 each onion, coarsley chopped
2 each bay leaves
10 each peppercorns
5 each whole cloves
1/2 each rind of 1/2 of a lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
1 each garlic clove
2 each fresh pine twings,
1 each all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon fat
1 each onion, sliced
1 each large carrot, sliced
3/4 cup canned tomatoes
2 cup water
2 cup marinade
1 each spatzle
----SPATZLE----
3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash paprika
4 each eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup water 1 ea boiling water

Directions for Sauerbraten: Put meat in large bowl. Bring to boil water,
vinegar and the next 7 ingredients, ending with the 1 garlic clove. Cool
and pour over meat; add pine twigs. Cover and put in refrigerator, turning
meat once or twice a day (if top or bottom round is used, it should
marinate for 48 - 72 hours. For eye of round, 24 - 40 hours.) When ready,
remove meat from the marinade; strain marinade and reserve. Rub meat with
flour mixed with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in hot fat, bveing
sure not to pierce meat. Put meat on rack; add sliced onion, carrot,
tomatoes, strained marinade, and water. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours,
or until meat is trender, turning once or twice. Remove meat and thicken
liquid with flour mixed with a little cold water. Simmer gor a few minutes.
Adjust seasoning if mecessary. A little white wine or sour cream can be
added to gravy, if desired. DIRECTIONS FOR SPATZLE: Sift flour with salt
and spices. Add eggs and water. Beat batter until thick and smooth. Dampen
the end of a small cutting board. Put on 3/4 cup of the dough. With a
spatula, smooth a samll amount of the dough very thin. Cut off small strips
of dough into a large pot of boiling salted water. Dip spatula into water
several times during cutting. If dough is too thin to hold together, add a
little flour. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Lift out with a slotted
spoon, drain and place in serving dish.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Nancy Young

"Peter Aitken" > wrote

> Hope this helps. Now I want sauerbraten - I have not had it in ages!

I haven't had it in years, since the cafeteria at work, and I
sure as hell never made it.

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions, I've printed them off and
my chuck roast is thawing as we speak ... guess I'll start on
Monday morning.

nancy

Dimitri

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Here's a basic-basic... hope it clears things up for you... it's pretty
> much what I do but I use ordinary white vinegar and as much dago red...
> I also like to add a few juniper berries, and a half a cinnamon stick.
> Essentially it's pot roast, there are no rulz.
>
> SAUERBRATEN
>
> 6 pound rump of beef or rolled boned chuck
> 1 1/2 cups of red wine vinegar
> 1/2 cup red wine
> 1 1/2 cups water
> 1 bay leaf
> 5 peppercorns
> 3 whole cloves
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 2 onions, sliced
> 4 tablespoons shortening or oil
> 5 tablespoons flour
> 4 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps
>
> It is best to have the meat in one solid piece, but if it is boned and
> rolled, make sure it has no added covering of suet. Combine the
> vinegar, wine, water and seasonings, pour this mixture over the meat.
> Add the sliced onions. Keep meat in the refrigerator, covered with
> marinade, for 1-3 days, turning occasionally. (Purists say it should be
> 3 days; I find 1 day sufficient.) Remove meat from marinade, wipe dry
> with paper towels and brown in the shortening over high heat,
> sprinkling with 1 tablespoon flour. Strain and add marinade, cover,
> lower heat and cook gently for 4-5 hours, until fork-tender. Remove
> meat and keep in warm place. Pour off the stock. In the same kettle,
> melt the butter, add the remaining flour and the sugar, stirring until
> smooth and browned. Slowly add the stock, cooking until smooth and
> thickened. Add the crushed gingersnaps, and cook until dissolved.
> Replace meat in the sauce and cook 1/2 hour longer. Meanwhile, cook
> noodles to serve with the sauerbraten. This dish tastes better the
> second day.
>
> House & Garden
> January 1963
> Betty Wason

Perfect - nicely spiced.

Dimitri

Bob Terwilliger

Peter wrote:

> Now I want sauerbraten - I have not had it in ages!

I've been trying to quell the craving for three weeks now; on September 23,
there was a "Good Eats" episode about vinegar. One of the featured recipes
was sauerbraten.

Bob

Nancy Young

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Now I want sauerbraten - I have not had it in ages!

> I've been trying to quell the craving for three weeks now; on September
> 23, there was a "Good Eats" episode about vinegar. One of the featured
> recipes was sauerbraten.

I think we can all blame the guy who started that braised meat thread.

nancy

Bob Terwilliger

Nancy wrote:

>> I've been trying to quell the craving for three weeks now; on September
>> 23, there was a "Good Eats" episode about vinegar. One of the featured
>> recipes was sauerbraten.

> I think we can all blame the guy who started that braised meat thread.

Well, the raw-egg thread got me thinking about sukiyaki, which is also
superb winter fare, then the braised-meat thread amplified the interest. We
can't blame the WHOLE thing on wff_ng_6.

Bob

kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
> the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
> cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
> posted eight million times, I'll look.
>
> nancy

I've posted my grandmother's recipe at least 3 times. It's a good one,
served warm.

kili

MoM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
> the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
> cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
> posted eight million times, I'll look.
>
> nancy

-= Exported from BigOven =-

German Red Cabbage

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
0 -MM ; BY HELEN PEAGRAM-
1 medium Red cabbage
1 Bay leaf
2 tablespoons Vinegar
2 small Apples
0 Salt
0 Pepper

-= Instructions =-
Shred cabbage finely. Peel and slice apples. Add all ingredients. Cook til
tender, about 20 minutes.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Red Cabbage (Rotkohl)

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine: Uncategorized
Main Ingredient: Chicken
Categories: Red wine, Wine, Onion, Cabbage, Apple, Chicken, Vegetables

-= Ingredients =-
2 sm Head of red cabbage (3
3 md Apple
1 sm Onion
6 sl Bacon
4 tb Red wine
1 ts Distilled white Vinegar
1 ts Salt
4 tb Brown Sugar
1 c Chicken stock

-= Instructions =-
From: LD Goss > Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996
14:33:57 -0500 Recipe By: The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors
Shred cabbage finely. Core and thinly slice the apples (do not bother to
peel). In an 8-quart stove-top covered covered casserole fry bacon until
clear, saute the chopped onion in the bacon grease. Add cabbage and peeled,
cubed apple and crumbled bacon. Fill up with water until the cabbage is
well covered. Cook until soft and then season with vinegar and sugar to
taste. Add salt to taste and chicken stock. Cover and cook over medium
heat, stirring now and then, until all is tender, about 1 hour. NOTES: I
usually cut this recipe in half. I sometimes use red wine vinegar instead
of wine and vinegar. Ive also left out the apples if I didnt have any
around and it tasted great. EAT-L Digest 14 July 96 From the EAT-L
recipe list. Downloaded from Glens MM Recipe Archive,
http://www.erols.com/hosey.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. BigOven.com ID=
39574 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Nancy Young

"MoM" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
>> the rump roast.

Okay, the chuck roast is in the marinade (I had a large chuck
roast in the freezer, so I didn't buy rump). I don't know if it'll
be cooked on Thursday or Friday. We'll see.

>> And, I have been informed that red
>> cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
>> posted eight million times, I'll look.

> German Red Cabbage

> 0 -MM ; BY HELEN PEAGRAM-

I don't know if I said it already, but thanks for posting this,
MoM.

nancy

aem

Nancy Young wrote:
> Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
> the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
> cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
> posted eight million times, I'll look.

Glad you started this thread and got such good replies. We'll be
having sauerbraten next week. Yes, with red cabbage and yes, with
homemade egg noodles. Very likely with a good dark beer. You know
what else Jake Wirth's in Boston served with this? Pumpernickel bread,
dark, thickly sliced. This is a great meal. -aem

kilikini

"aem" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
> > the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
> > cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
> > posted eight million times, I'll look.
> >

> Glad you started this thread and got such good replies. We'll be
> having sauerbraten next week. Yes, with red cabbage and yes, with
> homemade egg noodles. Very likely with a good dark beer. You know
> what else Jake Wirth's in Boston served with this? Pumpernickel bread,
> dark, thickly sliced. This is a great meal. -aem

I'll take the red cabbage and the beer, but you can keep your sauerbraten.
LOL. More for you! My mom used to make it and it was one of those things I
would sit and sit and sit at the table for hours until I had to eat it to
get up to finally use the restroom.

kili

MoM

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...

> "aem" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
>> > the rump roast. And, I have been informed that red
>> > cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
>> > posted eight million times, I'll look.
>> >

>> Glad you started this thread and got such good replies. We'll be
>> having sauerbraten next week. Yes, with red cabbage and yes, with
>> homemade egg noodles. Very likely with a good dark beer. You know
>> what else Jake Wirth's in Boston served with this? Pumpernickel bread,
>> dark, thickly sliced. This is a great meal. -aem
>>

> I'll take the red cabbage and the beer, but you can keep your sauerbraten.
> LOL. More for you! My mom used to make it and it was one of those things
> would sit and sit and sit at the table for hours until I had to eat it to
> get up to finally use the restroom.
>
> kili

I like rotkohl with all kinds of things but I really like my sauerkraut with
sausages.

I pickled my own sauerkraut this year and I can't find my recipe for cooking
it but I never use it anyway.

My Sauerkraut

2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 large onion
1 med apple
bacon fat
brown sugar

Cook the onions and apples as for caramelized onions in the bacon fat. When
they have softened add the sauerkraut and cook stirring often until the
whole mess is light brown.

Add brown sugar to taste or not as desired.

If serving with sausages, Brown the sausages and add to the pot to simmer
with the sauerkraut till it's as described above.

MoM

Dan Abel

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Thanks, Sheldon, that helps a lot. Now all I need is
> the rump roast.

It's a marinated and spiced pot roast, IMNSHO. Whatever cut of beef you
like for pot roast should work fine. Rump roast sounds like a good
start if you don't have another preference.

> And, I have been informed that red
> cabbage is a required side dish, I know that's been
> posted eight million times, I'll look.

Red cabbage is good, but I wonder if it's a little redundant? Usually
they are both made with vinegar.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

REC: Sauerbraten Mike Muth General Cooking 6 28-01-2012 09:12 PM
Sauerbraten Duckie ® Recipes 1 21-01-2007 08:56 PM
Sauerbraten SERGIO Barbecue 7 03-02-2006 04:29 AM
Sauerbraten SERGIO Barbecue 0 27-01-2006 03:50 AM
Sauerbraten Nancy Young General Cooking 4 23-10-2005 01:29 PM