Mr Libido Incognito

Default Sauerbraten help?

Nancy Young wrote on 14 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I got this recipe from a friend's mother; it's supposed to be
> delicious. I'd like to make it, but there's something missing ...
> how to and how long to cook it. Any advice? or maybe I'm
> just missing it.
>
> 5 lb rump roast
>
> Marinate for 5 days:
>
> 2 cups wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
> Bay leaves
> Salt & Pepper
> 3 medium onions - diced
> 2 large carrots - diced
> 2 stalks celery - diced
> Whole peppercorns
>
> Cover meat with liquid, cover. Refrigerate,
> turn over each day.
>
> Brown meat in fat. Add 2 cups strained
> vinegar mix. I use carrots, adding to mixture
> later on.
>
> Gingersnap gravy:
>
> 2 tablespoons sugar
> 10 gingersnap crumbs
> Add slowly, stirring until mixture thickens.
> Add water if necessary. Salt to taste. Enjoy!
>
> Other questions: Wine vinegar, White or Red?
> I guess this is where she's adding the
> carrots
> back?
>
> Okay, anyone know about making sauerbraten, do you have those
> 3, 4 answers for me?
>
> Thank you, nancy

Sauerbraten Mit Spatzle (Pot Roast With Dumplings)

----SAUERBRATEN----
5 lb pot roast
4 cup water
4 cup wine vinegar
1 each onion, coarsley chopped
2 each bay leaves
10 each peppercorns
5 each whole cloves
1/2 each rind of 1/2 of a lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
1 each garlic clove
2 each fresh pine twings,
1 each all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon fat
1 each onion, sliced
1 each large carrot, sliced
3/4 cup canned tomatoes
2 cup water
2 cup marinade
1 each spatzle
----SPATZLE----
3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash paprika
4 each eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup water 1 ea boiling water

Directions for Sauerbraten: Put meat in large bowl. Bring to boil water,
vinegar and the next 7 ingredients, ending with the 1 garlic clove. Cool
and pour over meat; add pine twigs. Cover and put in refrigerator, turning
meat once or twice a day (if top or bottom round is used, it should
marinate for 48 - 72 hours. For eye of round, 24 - 40 hours.) When ready,
remove meat from the marinade; strain marinade and reserve. Rub meat with
flour mixed with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in hot fat, bveing
sure not to pierce meat. Put meat on rack; add sliced onion, carrot,
tomatoes, strained marinade, and water. Cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours,
or until meat is trender, turning once or twice. Remove meat and thicken
liquid with flour mixed with a little cold water. Simmer gor a few minutes.
Adjust seasoning if mecessary. A little white wine or sour cream can be
added to gravy, if desired. DIRECTIONS FOR SPATZLE: Sift flour with salt
and spices. Add eggs and water. Beat batter until thick and smooth. Dampen
the end of a small cutting board. Put on 3/4 cup of the dough. With a
spatula, smooth a samll amount of the dough very thin. Cut off small strips
of dough into a large pot of boiling salted water. Dip spatula into water
several times during cutting. If dough is too thin to hold together, add a
little flour. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Lift out with a slotted
spoon, drain and place in serving dish.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.