Default Sunny-side up eggs question

Hi!

I have a few questions regarding making sunnyside up eggs.
What is the fastest way to do still delicious sunnyside up eggs and how
long does it take. I always read about low or medium heat. What exactly
does it mean? Do you know how professionals do it? Do they still use a
pan for every egg ordered or do they put them onto a griddle winning
space at the same time? Is there any difference in taste if I make a
sunnyside up egg on a pan or griddle?

Thanks!

Tom

Sheldon

~patches~ hatches:
> miskiewicz wrote:
>
> > I have a few questions regarding making sunnyside up eggs.
> > What is the fastest way to do still delicious sunnyside up eggs and how
> > long does it take. I always read about low or medium heat. What exactly
> > does it mean? Do you know how professionals do it? Do they still use a
> > pan for every egg ordered or do they put them onto a griddle winning
> > space at the same time? Is there any difference in taste if I make a
> > sunnyside up egg on a pan or griddle?
> >

> Simply crack the eggs into the pan with hot oil then cover with a lid and > cook until the tops of the yolks are slightly cloudy.

That's not sunny sides... those are 'po white trailer trash eggs.

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> ~patches~ hatches:
> > miskiewicz wrote:
> >
> > > I have a few questions regarding making sunnyside up eggs.
> > > What is the fastest way to do still delicious sunnyside up eggs and how
> > > long does it take. I always read about low or medium heat. What exactly
> > > does it mean? Do you know how professionals do it? Do they still use a
> > > pan for every egg ordered or do they put them onto a griddle winning
> > > space at the same time? Is there any difference in taste if I make a
> > > sunnyside up egg on a pan or griddle?
> > >

> > Simply crack the eggs into the pan with hot oil then cover with a lid and >
> > cook until the tops of the yolks are slightly cloudy.

> That's not sunny sides... those are 'po white trailer trash eggs.
>
> Sheldon

I know what your idea of "Sunny side up" is, as opposed to "moon-y side
up"?

;-D

Cheers!
--
Om.

~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>~patches~ hatches:

>>>Simply crack the eggs into the pan with hot oil then cover with a lid and >
>>>cook until the tops of the yolks are slightly cloudy.

>>That's not sunny sides... those are 'po white trailer trash eggs.
>>
>>Sheldon
>>

> I know what your idea of "Sunny side up" is, as opposed to "moon-y side
> up"?
>
> ;-D
>
> Cheers!

Oh now that's cool. Shelly is responding. Here shelly, here's a doggie
biscuit or would you like sunny side up eggs I'm thinking shelly
would like them just a little runnier to match his total attitude :

axlq

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>I have a few questions regarding making sunnyside up eggs.
>What is the fastest way to do still delicious sunnyside up eggs and how
>long does it take. I always read about low or medium heat. What exactly
>does it mean?

To me, good sunny side up eggs cannot be cooked fast. High heat
will result in parts of the egg being raw, with shoe-leather on the
bottom surface. Low heat (especially with a cover over the pan)
allows more heat to permeate the yolk and cook it more thoroughly.
I like it moist, almost liquid, but not runny.

Even quicker is "over easy" which cooks the egg on both sides but still
leaves the middle of the yolk all runny.

-A
Damsel

Dave Smith wrote:

> From my experience, the best way to cook an egg sunny side up it to use a
> method that some here would call steaming. Use a medium heat, get the egg
> started and add about 1 tsp. water and slap a cover over it. The tope will
> cook nicely without having to cook the daylights out of the bottom.

Yup, that's what I do now. I am apparently incapable of flipping an
egg without scrambling it. Bacon grease is great for frying eggs.
Butter's a close second.

Carol

Potsie

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:19:17 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> From my experience, the best way to cook an egg sunny side up it to use a
>> method that some here would call steaming. Use a medium heat, get the egg
>> started and add about 1 tsp. water and slap a cover over it. The tope will
>> cook nicely without having to cook the daylights out of the bottom.

>That's a STEAMED egg.

ESL? He already admitted as much in his first sentence.

potsie

Dimitri

"Potsie" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:19:17 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> From my experience, the best way to cook an egg sunny side up it to use a
>>> method that some here would call steaming. Use a medium heat, get the egg
>>> started and add about 1 tsp. water and slap a cover over it. The tope will
>>> cook nicely without having to cook the daylights out of the bottom.

>>That's a STEAMED egg.

> ESL? He already admitted as much in his first sentence.
>
> potsie

Then it isn't "Sunny Side UP"

That's like saying the best way to grill a steak is to boil it. - No that's not
grilled it's boiled.

Dimitri

Dimitri

Michel Boucher

~patches~ > wrote in
:

> I'm
> thinking shelly would like them just a little runnier to match his
> total attitude :

I would have thought crusty...

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot
Bob Terwilliger

Dave Smith wrote:

> From my experience, the best way to cook an egg sunny side up it to use a
> method that some here would call steaming. Use a medium heat, get the egg
> started and add about 1 tsp. water and slap a cover over it. The tope will
> cook nicely without having to cook the daylights out of the bottom.

You're right: I call that "steam-basted." It's one of my favorite ways to
cook eggs, but it is NOT sunny-side up. Real sunny-side up has already been
described by others in this thread: You cook the eggs uncovered on
medium-low heat until the whites are cooked through.

For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us
(including myself) have expressed the opinion that putting the lid on
results in superior eggs, even though they're not sunny-side up. Do what
you will with that information.

Bob

Sheldon

Damsel wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > From my experience, the best way to cook an egg sunny side up it to use a
> > method that some here would call steaming. Use a medium heat, get the egg
> > started and add about 1 tsp. water and slap a cover over it. The tope will
> > cook nicely without having to cook the daylights out of the bottom.

> Yup, that's what I do now. I am apparently incapable of flipping an
> egg without scrambling it.

But sunnysides ain't flipped.

> Bacon grease is great for frying eggs.
> Butter's a close second.

Then you're almost there... for proper sunnysides heat pan to med/high
with fat, while heating crack eggs into small bowl, gently slip eggs
into pan and turn down heat to low, when eggs are about half set with a
small spoon continuously baste eggs with the hot cooking fat until
whites are just set, serve immediately, the eggs will continue to
cook... the covered/steaming method is for kitchen klutzes, doesn't
look right, dosen't taste right, and will almost always over cook the
yolk because with the lid the pan gets too hot and you're cooking
blind... fergeddaboudit. Stop trying to learn the wrong way, with half
the effort yoose can learn the right way.

Professional short order cooks do sunnysides on the griddle, they baste
by scooping the cooking fat over the eggs with the spatula... I've
never yet seen a professional cook pan fry eggs, if they do they're not
a professional, pan fryers are home style cooks, like one finds at the
mom/pop *luncheonette*... typically a baby step up from "The Candy
Store"... hadn't the room for a griddle. A lunceonette would have a
small counter with maybe ten stools the most, and perhaps a couple
tables/booths off to the rear... would be as much an ice cream parlor
as an eatery... was a time not too very long ago there were literally
thousands of lunceonettes in NYC, many thousands, couldn't walk a
hundred yards anywere in the city without there's another one. Mine
was Sid's Luncheonette on Ave. P, bet E. 2nd & E. 3rd, adjacent to the
Claridge Theater... Sid made the best BLTs and tuna sammiches... you'd
know it's
Sid by the cigar, never seen him without. But for ice cream couldn't
beat Kushner's Candy Store on Quentin Rd. & McDonald Ave. Mrs.
Kushner, a very nice gray haired old lady made the world's best
malted... I owned the back booth, got some ten years worth of my
education there, did all my homework and tons of reading there, with a
malted or egg cream... she'd let me read all the pocket books and
comics I wanted without buying... was much quieter there than at home
or the library... didn't hear the elevated train ran on McDonald Ave,
what train, I don't hear any train thirty feet directly over my head...
in fact in those days there was an electric trolly ran under the el...
still have some brand new shiny 1953 flattened pennies somewhere. My
job was to wind up her awning before I departed each evening, I was
honored.

Typical---> http://astorianyc.blogspot.com/2005/...cheonette.html

Sheldon

Sheldon

Boob Twitwilliger wrote:

> For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us (including myself)

We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
voted King of RFC? Speak for yourself... a newbie mother****er douche
bag the likes of you don't ever speak for me.

> have expressed the opinion that putting the lid on
> results in superior eggs, even though they're not sunny-side up.

Superior... I got yer superiour schwingin'... how can they be superiour
sunny sides iffn they ain't sunny sides?!?!? Steamed eggs are awful,
ain't fried, ain't poached, they're in the twilight zone.

Now shut the **** up, yoose egotistical wise ass _newbie_
know-nothing... where do they find these six toed "(including myself)"
megalomaniacs, especially so friggin' ignorant.

Sheldon

Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> >>That's a STEAMED egg.

> > ESL? He already admitted as much in his first sentence.
> >
> > potsie

> Then it isn't "Sunny Side UP"
>
> That's like saying the best way to grill a steak is to boil it. - No that's not
> grilled it's boiled.

Call it whatever you want, but it remains an fried egg with a nicely cooked topped
and without the overcooked bottom. They turn out nicely that way. So if the
sunnyside up egg is actually a steamed egg, it is still pretty darned tasty.

Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> Boob Twitwilliger wrote:
> >
> > For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us (including myself)

> We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
> voted King of RFC?

Yep. He's the king and you're just Fart the messenger boy.

Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Boob Twitwilliger wrote:
> > >
> > > For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us (including myself)

> > We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
> > voted King of RFC?

> Yep. He's the king and you're just Fart the messenger boy.

And you're the Stink that lingers.

Bob Terwilliger

Sheldumb was still full of shit:

>> For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us
>> (including myself)

> We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
> voted King of RFC? Speak for yourself... a newbie mother****er douche
> bag the likes of you don't ever speak for me.

"We" means that at least two people defined "sunny-side up". You were one
of them, you stupid liver-spotted cat-humping bag of decomposing menstrual
clots.

>> have expressed the opinion that putting the lid on
>> results in superior eggs, even though they're not sunny-side up.

> Superior... I got yer superiour schwingin'... how can they be superiour
> sunny sides iffn they ain't sunny sides?!?!? Steamed eggs are awful,
> ain't fried, ain't poached, they're in the twilight zone.

I wrote "superior eggs," not "superior sunny-side up" eggs, you impotent
moronic dementia-ridden syphilitic bicycle-seat-sniffer. Learn to read;
you're as ignorant as your bought-for-a-cigarette Nazi-sucking mother. And
it doesn't suprise me to see that you know NOTHING about cooking eggs; your
spent your Navy-cook years with your pants around your ankles and your
toothless head in the Supply Officer's lap.

Bob

~patches~

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Sheldumb was still full of shit:
>

>>>For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us
>>>(including myself)

>>We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
>>voted King of RFC? Speak for yourself... a newbie mother****er douche
>>bag the likes of you don't ever speak for me.

Wow that sure makes rfc look good doesn't it? Yep I'm pretty sure most
of us that post here love this image
--
Sheldon is the rec.food.cooking pet troll. Here's his pic
http://www.bellydance.org/troll.html and here's why you don't argue with
hob

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi!
>
> I have a few questions regarding making sunnyside up eggs.

You'll probably find that many cannot agree on what is a sunny side up egg-
purists might say the white needs to be runny near and above the yolk
others might say basted eggs (fat or steam basted) are sunny side up
I could make more parameters, but you get the idea.

A lot of restaurant eggs are actually "basted" in an egg ring on the
griddle- I have a couple of rings, and it seems like the water from the eggs
cooking sort of self-bastes in the ring (although a spoon of hot water makes
for nice presentation).

So what do you like? cold center, soft warm center, or med-soft center;
done whites or almost done whites? Tender egg white or firm egg white?

-Lower pan temps yield softer egg whites but the yolk will warm.

-Higher temps firm most of the white but you usually get some runny near the
yolk.

I prefer basted eggs because I can keep the temp low and still cook the
whites thru wihout hardening the yolk, and the yolk is warmed.
I put some butter in the teflon frying pan and melt it at med/med-low heat
(about "5" on the dial), then put in the eggs with a tablespoon or two of
water and cover - timing on how long to leave on the cover is dicey and a
learned thing (because the yolk can harden in less than a minute in the
steam after the whites cloud, and if you peek, the steam is lost and the
yolk usually hardens.)
Some times if we're doing bacon, I omit the water and spoon bacon grease
over the eggs just before removing to baste (fry) the tops.

But my father-in-law didn't like them unless the white at the edges of the
yolk and the top was runny, so he had unbasted eggs.

fwiw.......

> What is the fastest way to do still delicious sunnyside up eggs and how
> long does it take. I always read about low or medium heat. What exactly
> does it mean? Do you know how professionals do it? Do they still use a
> pan for every egg ordered or do they put them onto a griddle winning
> space at the same time? Is there any difference in taste if I make a
> sunnyside up egg on a pan or griddle?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom

sf

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:16:03 GMT, Dimitri wrote:

> Whoops - no lid. Putting the lid on will "steam" the egg white that covers the
> yolk.

I order my restaurant eggs "basted". When I make them at home, I put
a few drops of water in the pan, cover and yes they steam until the
top is slightly cloudy, the white is set but the yolk is still runny.
Dan Abel

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Boob Twitwilliger wrote:
> >
> > For the OP: We've told you how to make sunny-side up eggs, and many of us
> > (including myself)

> We've? What's with this We've, did I miss some election where you were
> voted King of RFC?

The election was last week. Did you miss it? Tough, the next one is
scheduled for 2015.