Terry Pulliam Burd

Default Death of an Old Friend :-)

<sound of taps being slowly played in the background>

Today, June 19, 2004, my Cuisinart food processor, age 9 1/2 years,
died. It was a slow and painful death. First it was parmesan cheese
that choked it. Then it was certain types of nut. There were times I
could barely stand to watch, as it labored valiantly to shred, mince,
slice and puree. Oh, there were earlier signs that I chose to igno
its engine sounded strained and tired upon occasion; where it, in its
youth, had left not one ingredient untouched, it began leaving lumps
in puree (at the end, even the occasional strawberry remained
unscathed); its plastic lid began to bind and I actually had to resort
to corporal punishment when trying to remove the work bowl from the
machine by clobbering it with a closed fist! (Oh, the shame in so
abusing a valiant old friend!)

But today <sob!>, I had to put this old friend to rest. Its motor
finally gave out while bravely trying to shred mozzarella. Yes, I
admit it: I wept for a moment, thinking of the dishes this heroic
little machine had helped me prepare.

<bright voice> *Then* I went online and ordered the COOLEST new food
processor! A Kitchenaid Professional with 670 watt engine in brushed
nickel ($30 rebate ain't takin' the sting out of a $300 food
processor). Consumer Reports loves it. And it has all sorts of
whistles and bells that that damned ... I mean, my poor lamented
Cuisinart...didn't. Oh, boy! I ordered it online, as I figured up the
cost and they're charging $20 for shipping a 25 lb. machine and here
in SoCal, with a 7 3/4% sales tax, I saved $3. Okay, whatthehell, 3
bucks ain't puttin' a dent in it. BUT, there's a $30 rebate! Now
*that's* Smart Shopping! <g>

Here's my new toy: http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/travispil.html You
have to scroll down a bit, and I really did noodle around looking for
deals, but when I saw they had it in brushed *nickel* and I'm into
some serious stainless steel appliances in my kitchen... whooo hooo!

Now, I'm off to the market to buy some of the DH's favorite beer
(Bohemia). See, he's having a nap on the sofa right now while I've
been, uh, shopping and I think my purchase will sound a lot better if
I get him loaded before I tell him. Whaddya think?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Regime Change Begins At Home."

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
notbob

On 2004-06-20, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> But today <sob!>, I had to put this old friend to rest. Its motor
> finally gave out while bravely trying to shred mozzarella.

Can't you get a new motor? The older models have lifetime gaurantees on the
motors.

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.
JimLane

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> <sound of taps being slowly played in the background>
>
> Today, June 19, 2004, my Cuisinart food processor, age 9 1/2 years,
> died. It was a slow and painful death. First it was parmesan cheese
> that choked it. Then it was certain types of nut. There were times I
> could barely stand to watch, as it labored valiantly to shred, mince,
> slice and puree. Oh, there were earlier signs that I chose to igno
> its engine sounded strained and tired upon occasion; where it, in its
> youth, had left not one ingredient untouched, it began leaving lumps
> in puree (at the end, even the occasional strawberry remained
> unscathed); its plastic lid began to bind and I actually had to resort
> to corporal punishment when trying to remove the work bowl from the
> machine by clobbering it with a closed fist! (Oh, the shame in so
> abusing a valiant old friend!)
>
> But today <sob!>, I had to put this old friend to rest. Its motor
> finally gave out while bravely trying to shred mozzarella. Yes, I
> admit it: I wept for a moment, thinking of the dishes this heroic
> little machine had helped me prepare.
>
> <bright voice> *Then* I went online and ordered the COOLEST new food
> processor! A Kitchenaid Professional with 670 watt engine in brushed
> nickel ($30 rebate ain't takin' the sting out of a $300 food
> processor). Consumer Reports loves it. And it has all sorts of
> whistles and bells that that damned ... I mean, my poor lamented
> Cuisinart...didn't. Oh, boy! I ordered it online, as I figured up the
> cost and they're charging $20 for shipping a 25 lb. machine and here
> in SoCal, with a 7 3/4% sales tax, I saved $3. Okay, whatthehell, 3
> bucks ain't puttin' a dent in it. BUT, there's a $30 rebate! Now
> *that's* Smart Shopping! <g>
>
> Here's my new toy: http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/travispil.html You
> have to scroll down a bit, and I really did noodle around looking for
> deals, but when I saw they had it in brushed *nickel* and I'm into
> some serious stainless steel appliances in my kitchen... whooo hooo!
>
> Now, I'm off to the market to buy some of the DH's favorite beer
> (Bohemia). See, he's having a nap on the sofa right now while I've
> been, uh, shopping and I think my purchase will sound a lot better if
> I get him loaded before I tell him. Whaddya think?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Regime Change Begins At Home."
>
> To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"

My condolences on the parting of your food processor. Over that time,
you got used to all its mannerisms. Now, you'll have to start all over
again. Lucky you.

jim
JimLane

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-06-20, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>

>>But today <sob!>, I had to put this old friend to rest. Its motor
>>finally gave out while bravely trying to shred mozzarella.

> Can't you get a new motor? The older models have lifetime gaurantees on the
> motors.
>
> nb

Hush! Why are you raining on her parade? ;->> It was not just the motor,
was it? Fixing that would be a temporary remedy. That tired old motor
was running tired old blades and such. With that young buck motor
jamming those older pieces they would soon cave in. Replacements are
probably available but the soul of an old friend would be gone and the
"new" formed from fragmented parts gathered here and there, a
frankenstein of sorts.

jim

Wayne

JimLane > wrote in
:

> notbob wrote:
>
>> On 2004-06-20, Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>

>>>But today <sob!>, I had to put this old friend to rest. Its motor
>>>finally gave out while bravely trying to shred mozzarella.

>> Can't you get a new motor? The older models have lifetime gaurantees
>> on the motors.
>>
>> nb

> Hush! Why are you raining on her parade? ;->> It was not just the
> motor, was it? Fixing that would be a temporary remedy. That tired old
> motor was running tired old blades and such. With that young buck
> motor jamming those older pieces they would soon cave in. Replacements
> are probably available but the soul of an old friend would be gone and
> the "new" formed from fragmented parts gathered here and there, a
> frankenstein of sorts.
>

> jim

What you say is true, and Squeaks probably made the best choice given the
circumstances, and certainly the most exciting.

In my case my Cuisinart Professional 14 still has a perfect base and
motor and plenty of unwavering power, but my workbowl, cover, and
feedshoot all have cracks that I consider a potential danger given the
speed at which these demons run.

I opted to replace these parts along with a new blade and a flat cover,
all for a good bit less than half the cost of replacing the entire
processor. I think I'm just about as excited about all these sparkling
new Lexan parts, perhaps especially the new flat cover, as Squeaks is
over her new processor.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

sf

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:41:04 GMT, Wayne >
wrote:

> I opted to replace these parts along with a new blade and a flat cover,
> all for a good bit less than half the cost of replacing the entire
> processor.

I don't have your model, mine is an 11... but the thing I
miss from my old original cuisinart (before the "split"
original) is the rounded top, which I bought separately and
used whenever I made dough. Do you know if they have that
sort of accessory for cuisinart anymore? I've looked for it
in the past and didn't find one, but maybe my search skills
weren't up to finding it if it exists.

kalanamak

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> <sound of taps being slowly played in the background>
>
> Today, June 19, 2004, my Cuisinart food processor, age 9 1/2 years,
> died. It was a slow and painful death. First it was parmesan cheese
> that choked it.

Mine cranks fine, but the bowl and lid are so crazed with lines, I
expect them to explode any day now.
blacksalt
Wayne

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:41:04 GMT, Wayne >
> wrote:
>
>> I opted to replace these parts along with a new blade and a flat
>> cover, all for a good bit less than half the cost of replacing the
>> entire processor.

> I don't have your model, mine is an 11... but the thing I
> miss from my old original cuisinart (before the "split"
> original) is the rounded top, which I bought separately and
> used whenever I made dough. Do you know if they have that
> sort of accessory for cuisinart anymore? I've looked for it
> in the past and didn't find one, but maybe my search skills
> weren't up to finding it if it exists.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Try this website, selecting your model # from the drop-down box under
Cuisinart. I'm sure they'll have it for your model, too.

Culinary Parts Unlimited

http://tinyurl.com/36fno

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:16:22 GMT, sf > arranged
random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I don't have your model, mine is an 11... but the thing I
>miss from my old original cuisinart (before the "split"
>original) is the rounded top, which I bought separately and
>used whenever I made dough. Do you know if they have that
>sort of accessory for cuisinart anymore? I've looked for it
>in the past and didn't find one, but maybe my search skills
>weren't up to finding it if it exists.

Anyone want my Cuisinart 11 citrus attachment?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
sf

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:52:09 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

> Anyone want my Cuisinart 11 citrus attachment?

What the heck is that???

Take a picture of it and post to alt... I hate to say which
alt, because I might spoil the good karma there -
binaries.food.

<S>