Joe Rosenberg

Default Death of my friend Filipo's mom

Long before there was a Robert Parker and Marc DeGrazia, Winebow and Marvin
Shankin, there was these Italian wine shops like Lou Iacucci's Gold Star in
Queens and Carlo Russo's in Ho Ho Kus NJ and you saw on the labels the name
Mediterranean Imports and maybe even met Aldo or Constance or like me their
enthusiastic sons Phillip and Mario. I met Phil just after Mediterranean
passed and liquor giant Hublein took over
the brands like Ceretto, Controtto, Fazi Battaglia, Monsanto and
Mastroberandino with Phillip as their captain in the journey into our
cellars. The best wine trip, I ever was on was arranged by Phillip and Jim
Morris and I stayed at Ceretto, and Monsanto on our 30 day journey. Just
recently, I referred some NGers to Phillip for a great tour of Tuscany, and
he delivered the kind of hospitality that can only be taught by a generous
mother.

If you know the di Belardino's you might want to drop them a line or make a
contribution as shown below.
Obituary in NY papers, Sept 13, 2004

di Belardino, Constance

Constance di Belardino, 89, passed away Saturday night, 11 September 2004
after several weeks of declining health. She is survived by her two sons,
Mario Belardino of Larchmont, New York and Philip di Belardino of New York
City, her daughter in law, Susan Belardino and her two grandsons, Adam and
David Belardino.

A native of New York City, Constance Tempesta married the love of her life,
Aldo di Belardino, in a storied wedding in Marino, Italy, a suburb of Rome
just before the outbreak of World War II. She stayed by her man throughout
the war and then emigrated back to the USA with her two sons.

Aldo and Constance were pioneers in the early importation of fine Italian
wines into the USA, as owners of Mediterranean Importing Co. They were
pioneers again in the development of one of the finest Italian American
resorts, Villaggio Italia in Haines Falls, NY. A role model for many women
in and out of her family, Constance was a strong willed and dedicated
business woman who demonstrated along with her husband that integrity and
hard work are the real keys to business success. With all of her many
responsibilities she always found the time to be a sensitive and loving
mother and wife.

There will be a viewing on Tuesday, 14 September 2004 at the Fox Funeral
Home in Larchmont, New York from 4 to 8 pm. A private family funeral will
follow on Wednesday morning in Haines Falls New York.

It is not necessary to send anything except perhaps your prayers. But if you
feel you must, in lieu of flowers, please send gifts in Constance's name to
the Calvary Hospital at 1740 Eastchester Road, Bronx, New York 10461 Att:
Grace Ferri.

Philip di Belardino
VP, BANFI Fine Wines
1111 Cedar Swamp Rd