SPOONS

Default How do you like your steaks cooked? Rare-Medium-Well Done

How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
& hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his
steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
right???

He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
steak for me.

Take care,
SPOONS

Wayne Boatwright

I used to prefer my steak medium-well, I guess pretty much like what you
prefer. I've gravitated toward liking it more pink throughout, but not red.
I found it has a better flavor and texture and is not at all dry.

I have friends that like their steaks bloody rare, I mean, dripping blood.
If they're having steak when I go there for dinner, I always tell them to let
me know when they're ready to cook the steaks, *I'll* cook my own!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Kat

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a
> hint of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate
> & I do not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a
> medium cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to
> someone's house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So
> he asked everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted
> mine well done & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not
> the way you eat steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you
> a peice of leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah
> he likes his steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there
> steaks cooked medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way
> they want it right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can
> see that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest
> of it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook
> that steak for me.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

Kat

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a
> hint of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate
> & I do not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a
> medium cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to
> someone's house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So
> he asked everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted
> mine well done & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not
> the way you eat steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you
> a peice of leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes.

I would have left and enjoyed a McMeal on the way home ... I would rather
eat McFood (says the girl that has never had a fast food burger) than deal
w/ a person like that.

Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can
> see that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest
> of it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook
> that steak for me.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

jmcquown

SPOONS wrote:
> How do you like your steaks cooked?

Medium rare, tending more towards the rare side than medium.

I like them well done with just
> a hint of pink.

Ok now with that said the other
> night I went to someone's house for the first time for dinner and
> they served steak. So he asked everyone how do you want your steaks
> cooked & I said I wanted mine well done & hint of pink. OH BOY!!!
> he starts telling me that's not the way you eat steak, you're ruining
> a good steak I should just give you a peice of leather!!! blah blah
> blah he went on for 30 minutes.

(snippage)
> Take care,
> SPOONS

Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor! I take it you
will not be going back. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to put
up with this "host" a second time. Heck, I'd burn your steak to a crisp if
you *asked* me to.

Jill

Sheldon

SPOONS wrote:
> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
> house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
> leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
> that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
> it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
> steak for me.

The boorish imbecile shouldn't be serving steak to guests. Anytime one
chooses to serve steak cooked to order they had better be prepared to
do precisely that, cook to order with no negative comments... you did
better than I would have, soon as this putz of a contol freak began
lecturing I would have bade my ah-dews and departed. That said I like
my steak with well seared exterior and medium interior throughout, no
gradiation from well to pink, dark pink all the way through but no raw
middle, and no puddle of blood in my plate either... very easy to
accomplish when you know your grill. I don't like beef rare, what most
call rare I call raw. Over highest heat sear both sides one minute
each, then finish cooking over low indirect heat with covered grill, no
turning, no lifting lid... ten minutes per inch makes it perfect every
time. The trick is to not lift the lid after turning the steak at the
one minute mark (there's no reason to see if the steak is still there,
simply lower the heat to the appropriate settings - this is where a
quality gas grill beats charcoal every time... charcoal is archaic,
there's essentially no control - charcoal is good for Qing, sucks for
grilling). Use a timer, far more accurate for overall consistancy than
a thermometer. If your steaks are large and you're planning to serve
part to each person cut into portions before cooking, hacking off
chunks from a cooked steak is gross presentation... how would you feel
if at a restaurant they brought you a steak looks like someone had
already eaten half. Btw, I also prefer to cook my own steak, very few
people can cook steak without screwing it up. Most home grillers have
to cut into the steaks to let their guests choose which they want...
they should stick to serving tube steak, most screw those too, if they
split they're screwed.

Sheldon

Dave Smith

SPOONS wrote:

> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
> house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
> leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
> that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
> it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
> steak for me.

People like that should not serve steaks to people like you. It is a damn shame
to overcook a steak. They get dry, tough and lose all their good flavour. While
I would not insist that a quest eat a steak less cooked than they prefer I would
never again bother to serve them good food that has been ruined. I would give
them hamburgers.

cathyxyz

SPOONS wrote:
> How do you like your steaks cooked? >

Rare. Yum.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Andy

SPOONS wrote:

> How do you like your steaks cooked?

Medium-rare.

Growing up, my folks liked rare so we didn't have a choice and we'd
drink any blood left on the carving tray after dinner was over.

Andy
Kathleen

jmcquown wrote:

> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor! I take it you
> will not be going back. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to put
> up with this "host" a second time. Heck, I'd burn your steak to a crisp if
> you *asked* me to.

"Well-done? I don't do 'em that way very often so I'm not sure when to
say when. Grab a beer and hang out with me by the grill and show me how
to get it just right."

Kathleen (medium-rare)

Edwin Pawlowski

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> How do you like your steaks cooked?

Medium rare at the most. Red in side is OK

> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate

Actually, it is not blood. Most people cannot be convinced otherwise, nor
do they care. It is perception.

> I said I wanted mine well done & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts
> telling me that's not the way you eat steak, you're ruining a good steak I
> should just give you a peice of leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for
> 30 minutes.

Hint of pink? that is not going to ruin a steak.

> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can
> see that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest
> of it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook
> that steak for me.

Sounds like an ill mannered and lousy cook. He should have known better.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"SPOONS" > wrote:

> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
> house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
> leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
> that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
> it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
> steak for me.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

I like my steak RARE!
It has to moo when I cut it. ;-)

However, I RESPECT other folks preference and know how long to cook a
well done steak.

I'd never ever have been that rude and inconsiderate.

Yeesh!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> SPOONS wrote:
>
> > How do you like your steaks cooked?

> Medium-rare.
>
> Growing up, my folks liked rare so we didn't have a choice and we'd
> drink any blood left on the carving tray after dinner was over.
>
> Andy

Oh yeah... ;-)

And once in awhile, I'm in the mood for steak tartar.
Well trimmed sirloin cut into small cubes works best
for this, dipped in raw eggyolk. <drool>

Room temperature, dressed lightly with a little
Bragg's liquid aminos.
--
Om.

Goomba38

Kathleen wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor! I take it
>> you
>> will not be going back. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming
>> to put
>> up with this "host" a second time. Heck, I'd burn your steak to a
>> crisp if
>> you *asked* me to.

> "Well-done? I don't do 'em that way very often so I'm not sure when to
> say when. Grab a beer and hang out with me by the grill and show me how
> to get it just right."
>
> Kathleen (medium-rare)

Excellent reply and plan.
Shame to ruin a good steak overcooking it though..<sigh>
Frenchy

snip:
right???
:
: He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
: done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
: that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
: rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
: it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
: steak for me.
:
: Take care,
: SPOONS
:
VERY Rare. In a restaurant they usually say "Oh U mean Blue", I say no, just very
rare. Blue being quite cold in the middle. But in my experience 19 out of 20
always over do the steak, so very rare becomes closer to rare or even worse medium
rare.

And what a dork you went to dinner at!

Frenchy

Damsel in dis Dress

"SPOONS" > said:

> How do you like your steaks cooked?

When I was young, I liked mine well done. Over the years, I've added more
and more pink to the equation. Now I'm down to medium-rare except for
prime rib. I like that rare.

Carol
--
http://www.manilowfund.com/

"You Deserve a Break Today" by Barry Manilow
JimLane

Goomba38 wrote:
> Kathleen wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor! I take
>>> it you
>>> will not be going back. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming
>>> to put
>>> up with this "host" a second time. Heck, I'd burn your steak to a
>>> crisp if
>>> you *asked* me to.

>> "Well-done? I don't do 'em that way very often so I'm not sure when
>> to say when. Grab a beer and hang out with me by the grill and show
>> me how to get it just right."
>>
>> Kathleen (medium-rare)
>>

> Excellent reply and plan.
> Shame to ruin a good steak overcooking it though..<sigh>

Easier yet, put it on five-ten minutes before the rest of the meat goes on.

jim
JimLane

jmcquown wrote:

> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor!

My first reaction too.

jim

aem

SPOONS wrote:
> How do you like your steaks cooked? [snip]

I like them medium rare. On my particular grill, gas, preheated,
that's five minutes covered on one side, turn, five minutes on the
second side. Couldn't be easier.

> So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, [snip]

Is he that rude about other things?

> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. [snip]

Then he doesn't know how to cook meat. It takes only a little practice
to be able to judge doneness by pressing lightly on it and judging the
resistance. -aem

JimLane

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I like my steak RARE!
> It has to moo when I cut it. ;-)

There's an old story about this Texas highway diner along some forgotten
piece of bad road. Served really good steaks, they did.

There were some real loyal patrons there and Marty the local librarian
was one who could always be found at the counter. On some inauspicious
Thursday, or maybe it was a Wednesday that week, Marty came in for a steak.

Having just sat down he was perusing the menu trying to made a decision
about the cut he wanted and was still mulling that over when three
boisterous Marines walked in and sat down, bracketing Marty instead of
asking he could slide over to make some room for them.

Mary, a dear sweet lady whose pies were the talk of the area and was the
waitress at the diner came over to get Marty's order. But she had no
sooner asked Marty what he wanted, when the Marine to Marty's left broke
in with his demand for a steak and drew the attention of all the patrons
there because he did it so loudly. Mary seeing Marty nod his head, asked
how the your peacock wanted his steak done and rare was th reply, rare
enough so it oozes blood.

Mary took the order and once again turned to patient Marty and asked for
his order, but the Marine closest to Marty on the right barged in and
asked for a steak that was done really rare, juts drop in on the grill,
flip it and bring it. Mary took the order and realizing what would
happen next, asked the third Marine for his order. All ears in the diner
heard him order his steak held briefly over a match and brought to him.

Finally, Mary turned to Marty to get his order. The diner was absolutely
dead silent and Marty's clear and quiet voice was heard by all. Marty
wanted a rare steak, but asked Mary not to have it cooked, to just run
the head through and he would cut off what he wanted as it passed by.

The diner exploded in gales of hilarity, the Marines immediately stood
up and assumed threatening positions around Marty who was ignoring them.
And then the truckers drew up behind the Marines and tossed all their
butts out into the dirt parking lot.

Needlessly to say, Marty's steak was on the house.

This is my amped up retelling of a short bit I read about this situation
in Reader's Digest back about forty-fifty years ago. Probably Humor in
Uniform.

jim

Peter Aitken

"JimLane" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor!

> My first reaction too.
>

> jim

Probably not ill-mannered, just not a competent cook.

--
Peter Aitken

S'mee in WA

One time on Usenet, "SPOONS" > said:

> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
> house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
> leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes.

Does this guy think he's your dad? That's the kind of lecture I'd
expect from a parent, not a host.

> Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???

Yup. Technically, I also I think it ruins the steak (I like mine
medium-rare), but as long as you're the one eating it, so what?
Presumably he bought the steaks for his guests to enjoy, not to
convert people to his way of thinking.

> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
> that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
> it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
> steak for me.

Good call. The guy sounds like a real putz...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
JimLane > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor!

> My first reaction too.
>

> jim

You did well Jim.
I'm afraid I would have told him just where he could stick his steak,
then left. ;-)
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
JimLane > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I like my steak RARE!
> > It has to moo when I cut it. ;-)

<snipped funny one-upsmanship story>

> This is my amped up retelling of a short bit I read about this situation
> in Reader's Digest back about forty-fifty years ago. Probably Humor in
> Uniform.
>

> jim

Thanks for sharing that. ;-)
It was cute!

I'm fond of one other description, you have to
chase it around the plate a few times and kill it......

Don't know what it is about raw beef, but it's SO good!
Has to be the right cut tho'. I can't stand raw fat so
the cut has to be very lean.
--
Om.

Nexis

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
> How do you like your steaks cooked?

I like mine medium: Pink throughout, darker in the middle by a slight
degree. No red.

>I like them well done with just a hint of pink.

That's actually medium well. Well done has no pink whatsoever.

>I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do not like
>to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium cooked
>steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's house for
>the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked everyone how
>do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done & hint of
>pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat steak,
>you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of leather!!!
>blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his steak
>medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked medium
>but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it right???

I hope this was a one time dinner with this person? I wouldn't make a return
trip, for sure. Why do some people feel the need to push their own opinions
and preferences on everyone?

> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can
> see that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest
> of it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook
> that steak for me.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

If I'm serving steak, I prepare it however the person who's eating it
prefers it to be. It's silly to expect them to eat it my way. On the other
hand, I don't go out of my way to cater to evry whim of my guests. It's a
fine line

kimberly

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "JimLane" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Then why did he bother to ask?! What an ill-mannered boor!

>> My first reaction too.
>>

>> jim
>>

> Probably not ill-mannered, just not a competent cook.

If he bitched and moaned about the OP wanting a well-done steak, he was
indeed ill-mannered.

Jill

Andy

jmcquown wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> My first reaction too.
>>>

>>> jim
>>>

>> Probably not ill-mannered, just not a competent cook.

> If he bitched and moaned about the OP wanting a well-done steak, he

was
> indeed ill-mannered.
>
> Jill

An ill-mannered, incompetent kook!

Andy
djs0302

SPOONS wrote:
> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak.

I like my steaks cooked just until they're no longer pink in the
middle. In other words, well done but not burnt or dried out. The
problem is the restaurants get all the good steaks. They all get USDA
prime and we're stuck with USDA choice.

~patches~

SPOONS wrote:

> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a hint
> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I do
> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
> cooked steak. Ok now with that said the other night I went to someone's
> house for the first time for dinner and they served steak. So he asked
> everyone how do you want your steaks cooked & I said I wanted mine well done
> & hint of pink. OH BOY!!! he starts telling me that's not the way you eat
> steak, you're ruining a good steak I should just give you a peice of
> leather!!! blah blah blah he went on for 30 minutes. Oh yeah he likes his
> steak medium, which I've heard that most people like there steaks cooked
> medium but hey everyone has the right the eat steak the way they want it
> right???
>
> He was grilling the steaks & he kept slicing mine to see if it was well
> done. Anyway after he mangeled my steak he gives me the steak and I can see
> that this is not well done, it was very red in the inside (medium
> rare).....I sliced a corner peice that looked well done & I left the rest of
> it in another plate, I figure he can eat it later since he didn't cook that
> steak for me.
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

I used to like mine well done. DH likes his almost still mooing. I
finally tried a piece of his that was a little more well done than he
liked. I now like mine I think what is referred to as medium rare. It
is seared nicely on both sides and pinkish - red in the middle. Now
one thing most restaurants won't tell you is when you order your steak
cooked the way you want, it is still cooking on the way to the table so
you end up with it overcooked to your specs. So order it slightly less
cooked than you actually want. BTW, your friend was wrong. People like
their steaks cooked a certain way period. That may change over time but
in the meantime most of us hope the cook can do it the way we like it.

Oh and while we on on the topic of steaks, lets talk steak sauce. I
want Heinz 57 not HP not a store brand not the restaurant's choice, I
want Heinz 57 period. I use very little steak sauce but I'm picky about
what I want.
Denise in NH

I like my beef well done. Anything less done tastes like the remnant
flavor of having had a nosebleed. I hate the flavor of blood. I went
to a wedding last week where all of the beef was solid blood red, as if
it hadn't been cooked at all, not even a tiny bit brown on the edges. I
assumed that my meal was going to be just potatoes and steamed veggies,
but then, the waitresses brought some chicken parmesan to the tables
too.

Raw meat is gross.

Denise

Damsel in dis Dress

~patches~ > said:

> Oh and while we on on the topic of steaks, lets talk steak sauce. I
> want Heinz 57 not HP not a store brand not the restaurant's choice, I
> want Heinz 57 period. I use very little steak sauce but I'm picky about
> what I want.

I grew up using Heinz 57 exclusively, too. Now I'm an A-1 gal. I don't
use much, either. Just a touch on each bite. I'm horrified when people
pour steak sauce over their whole steak. Or even worse, ketchup. Sorry,
Stan.

Carol
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> ~patches~ > said:
>
>> Oh and while we on on the topic of steaks, lets talk steak sauce. I
>> want Heinz 57 not HP not a store brand not the restaurant's choice, I
>> want Heinz 57 period. I use very little steak sauce but I'm picky
>> about what I want.

> I grew up using Heinz 57 exclusively, too. Now I'm an A-1 gal. I
> don't use much, either. Just a touch on each bite. I'm horrified
> when people pour steak sauce over their whole steak. Or even worse,
> ketchup. Sorry, Stan.
>
> Carol

I don't care for steak sauces, particularly, but if I'm going to use
anything on one it's Worcestershire. Just a few drops.

Jill

jmcquown

Denise in NH wrote:
> I like my beef well done. Anything less done tastes like the remnant
> flavor of having had a nosebleed. I hate the flavor of blood. I went
> to a wedding last week where all of the beef was solid blood red, as
> if it hadn't been cooked at all, not even a tiny bit brown on the
> edges.

If it had no brown at all it wasn't rare, it was raw. I like a nice char
but I also want red in the middle. That's just me. The problem with going
to a large gathering where they serve things like roast beef is you don't
get it made to order. It's already paid for (in your case by the father of
the bride, most likely) so the kitchen doesn't much care. This is a little
different than being invited to someones home, having them ask how you want
your steak cooked and then they bug the heck out of you when you say you
want it well done.

Jill

Peter Aitken

"djs0302" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> SPOONS wrote:
>> How do you like your steaks cooked? I like them well done with just a
>> hint
>> of pink. I do not like to see a puddle of juices (blood) in my plate & I
>> do
>> not like to see red in the middle of my steak, like you would in a medium
>> cooked steak.

> I like my steaks cooked just until they're no longer pink in the
> middle. In other words, well done but not burnt or dried out. The
> problem is the restaurants get all the good steaks. They all get USDA
> prime and we're stuck with USDA choice.

It's hard to find prime in the markets but you can get it thru the mail -
for example Allen Brothers. Expensive to be sure! But the fact is that
overcooking - past medium - ruins a steak. If you like it that way, fine, I
am not trying to tell you what to eat. But the things that make a great
steak great, the flavor, texture, and juiciness, vanish when it is cooked
too much. It's like mixing 40 year old scotch with ginger ale, or putting
bottled dressing on fresh garden lettuce, or drinking your 1982 red Bordeaux
over ice.

--
Peter Aitken

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" > said:

> I don't care for steak sauces, particularly, but if I'm going to use
> anything on one it's Worcestershire. Just a few drops.

Crash is right there with ya!

Carol

Nexis

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ > said:
>
>> Oh and while we on on the topic of steaks, lets talk steak sauce. I
>> want Heinz 57 not HP not a store brand not the restaurant's choice, I
>> want Heinz 57 period. I use very little steak sauce but I'm picky about
>> what I want.

> I grew up using Heinz 57 exclusively, too. Now I'm an A-1 gal. I don't
> use much, either. Just a touch on each bite. I'm horrified when people
> pour steak sauce over their whole steak. Or even worse, ketchup. Sorry,
> Stan.
>
> Carol

Carol, I had to laugh when I read this....
On Tuesday, the night before I left MN to come home, we all went to dinner
at a place in Woodbury called Chickadee Cottage. My brother Mike ordered the
steak and then poured a layer of A-1 over the entire top of it. I was
laughing, and asked him if he ever considered tasting the steak before he
did that. He cut a piece from the bottom where there was no sauce and said
"Hey! That's pretty darn good!" Ah well, he's a nut. ;-)
Me, I sometimes marinade with A-1 and a good vinaigrette (mixed 50/50)
before grilling, but other than that, I rarely use steak sauce these days.
When I was a kid, though, I loved to mix Worcestershire and ketchup and dip
steak in that...but that was when my dad decided how the meat was cooked
(well done) and it needed that sauce IMO.

kimberly

Nexis

"Denise in NH" > wrote in message
>I like my beef well done. Anything less done tastes like the remnant
> flavor of having had a nosebleed. I hate the flavor of blood. I went
> to a wedding last week where all of the beef was solid blood red, as if
> it hadn't been cooked at all, not even a tiny bit brown on the edges. I
> assumed that my meal was going to be just potatoes and steamed veggies,
> but then, the waitresses brought some chicken parmesan to the tables
> too.
>
> Raw meat is gross.
>
> Denise

When I was a kid, one of my dad's more, shall we say, colorful friends was
having dinner with us at a place we knew well. The server asked him how he
wanted his steak and his reply was "Just grab that cow, light a match under
his ass and throw it on a plate, that's done enough for me." His steak came,
lightly charred on the outside, and pretty much well raw inside. Nothing I'd
eat :-) but he sure loved it.

kimberly

Nexis

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> "SPOONS" > said:
>
>> How do you like your steaks cooked?

> When I was young, I liked mine well done. Over the years, I've added more
> and more pink to the equation. Now I'm down to medium-rare except for
> prime rib. I like that rare.
>
> Carol
> --

I like mine medium, but usually order medium rare because restaurants rarely
bring it out medium when I order it that way. I was like you, though, I
started well done (mostly I think because that was what my dad ate, so that
was what we all ate), and gradually moved down the line. My daughter likes
hers medium rare, though, which came as a surprise to me. As I kid, I
wouldn't have considered it! lol.

kimberly

sf

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:39:09 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I'm fond of one other description, you have to
> chase it around the plate a few times and kill it......

My mother used to say she wanted the cow to stop kicking.
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:49:29 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>It's hard to find prime in the markets but you can get it thru the mail -
>for example Allen Brothers. Expensive to be sure!

Peter, just for the heckuvit, I just ordered some bone-in ribeye
steaks from Allen Bros. (And you're right - they're expensive, but not
more expensive than I generally pay at Gelson's in SoCal.) I'll get
back to you on the quality. And I ordered some Maryland crabcakes just
to annoy the DH, who's from Maryland and claims *no one* makes
Maryland crabcakes properly outside of Maryland.

>But the fact is that overcooking - past medium - ruins a steak. If you like it that way, fine, I
>am not trying to tell you what to eat. But the things that make a great
>steak great, the flavor, texture, and juiciness, vanish when it is cooked
>too much. It's like mixing 40 year old scotch with ginger ale, or putting
>bottled dressing on fresh garden lettuce, or drinking your 1982 red Bordeaux
>over ice.

My father, God rest him, liked his steak incinerated. No pink showing
anywhere. When I was a kid and the family visited Paris, the Dear
Aulde Dad ordered a steak and kept sending it back to be cooked
further. The waiter finally told him that the chef refused to cook it
any harder. I used to tell him that he might as well just order beef
jerky and be done with it. I like my steak so rare that you just need
to yell, "FIRE!" at the meat. Go figure.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines