NewsGroups

Default Pattie pastry

The patties are basically pasties with mince meat filling.
At the mo' I seal the meat in the pastry and then bake it.
cheers

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:45:13 +0100, "B Bear"
> connected the dots and wrote:

~Hi
~The kids complain that the pastry on my patties is too dry and flaky.
~It's about 16oz flour, 4oz butter and 4oz lard and as little water as
~possible.
~What can I do to make it less flaky and moister?
~cheers
~All
~

Could you please describe what you are using it for?
Are the patties inside a pastry crust?
Are they meat or vegetable filling?
Would a bread dough be more to the kids liking?
Is the pastry fried or baked?

Where I live, you can get a meat pie with a flaky crust like what you
describe, or a "pizza dough" kind of crust.

maxine in ri

Mr Libido Incognito

NewsGroups wrote on 06 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> The patties are basically pasties with mince meat filling.
> At the mo' I seal the meat in the pastry and then bake it.
> cheers
>

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:45:13 +0100, "B Bear"
> > connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~Hi
> ~The kids complain that the pastry on my patties is too dry and flaky.
> ~It's about 16oz flour, 4oz butter and 4oz lard and as little water as
> ~possible.
> ~What can I do to make it less flaky and moister?
> ~cheers
> ~All
> ~
>
> Could you please describe what you are using it for?
> Are the patties inside a pastry crust?
> Are they meat or vegetable filling?
> Would a bread dough be more to the kids liking?
> Is the pastry fried or baked?
>
> Where I live, you can get a meat pie with a flaky crust like what you
> describe, or a "pizza dough" kind of crust.
>
> maxine in ri

Perhaps this recipe? The pastry part I mean.

Cornish Pasty

Ingredients for short crust pastry
1 lb plain flour
1/2 lb either lard, hard margarine or butter or a combination of these
pinch of salt
cold water to mix

Method
Rub the fat into the flour but not too finely. I sometimes cut the fat into
small lumps. Add the salt and then start adding the water gradually until
it works together into a ball without being sticky. Put aside in a cool
place.

Ingredients for filling
3/4 lb beef, not stewing beef
raw potato
raw Swede turnip
small onion
salt and pepper
a walnut sized piece of butter

Method
Cut the steak into small pieces but do not mince. Slice potato and Swede
into thin, small pieces about half an inch across. Chop onion finely. Dust
the work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry to about ¼inch thickness.
Using a small plate cut out circles . Moisten the edge with milk or water
and support half of the pastry nearest to you over the rolling pin . On the
other half, put a small layer of prepared vegetables then a layer of beef .
Repeat this once but be careful not to have too much filling which would
cause the pastry to burst during the cooking process . Sprinkle sparingly
with salt and pepper then add a small bit of the butter . Sprinkle a
dusting of flour over the filling (this helps to make the gravy). Fold the
other half of pastry which has been resting on the rolling pin over the
filling and squeeze the half circle edges firmly together . Starting at the
right side whilst supporting the left side with other hand, using first
finger and thumb turn the edge over to form a crimp . Repeat this process
all along the edge . This will come with practice but you must get a good
seal. Brush pasty with beaten egg wash to help with browning process and
put a small one inch cut in the centre of the top to allow steam to escape
.. Bake in a hot oven 220 degrees centigrade for about 20 minutes then
reduce temperature to 160 degrees centigrade for a further 40 minutes.
Smaller pasties need less time. If they are browning too quickly cover
loosely with greased paper.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
maxine in ri

Then try a bread dough. It'll get toasted, and seal in the juices so
they flavor the bread nicely.

maxine in ri

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 09:02:39 +0100, "NewsGroups" >
connected the dots and wrote:

~The patties are basically pasties with mince meat filling.
~At the mo' I seal the meat in the pastry and then bake it.
~cheers
~
~
~
~On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:45:13 +0100, "B Bear"
> connected the dots and wrote:
~
~~Hi
~~The kids complain that the pastry on my patties is too dry and
flaky.
~~It's about 16oz flour, 4oz butter and 4oz lard and as little water
as
~~possible.
~~What can I do to make it less flaky and moister?
~~cheers
~~All
~~
~

Oil pastry Tim w General Cooking 6 11-05-2015 05:48 AM
Pattie pastry B Bear General Cooking 1 04-09-2005 04:07 PM
Filo pastry stiko Baking 2 24-08-2005 04:41 PM
Pattie LaBelle's Macaroni and Cheese Ann McMaster Recipes (moderated) 0 15-02-2005 04:41 AM
Low fat pastry sandy General Cooking 27 29-08-2004 10:07 PM