sandy

Default Low fat pastry

Hi to all
I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for pasties.
(cornish pasty)
At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
change in meal plans.
thanks

Kevintsheehy

On 8/23/2004, Sandy wrote:

>Hi to all. I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry,
>which I can use for pasties. (cornish pasty) At the moment
>my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
>change in meal plans. thanks

Sandy,

At the risk of seeming impertinent, this has the whiff of a fool's
errand. I've seen scores of pastry recipes for sweet and savory
dishes, but they all seem to come out relatively close in their
flour to fat ratios. If you're determined to have Cornish pasties,
I'd just make them once in a while and make up for it some other
way, unless you have other medical issues beyond wanting to
shed a few pounds.

Wayne

"sandy" > wrote in
:

> Hi to all
> I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for
> pasties. (cornish pasty)
> At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> change in meal plans.
> thanks

Sandy,

There's nothing I know of that you could substitute for the fat in pastry
which will give similar results. Reducing fat in a pastry changes the
texture, if not the taste. That said, however, you can reduce the usual
fat by half, increasing the liquid (milk, water) enough to bring the
dough together, then assemble and bake as usual. A Cornish pasty has a
rich enough filling that you might be too disappointed.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
sandy

Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
cheers
"sandy" > wrote in message
> Hi to all
> I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for pasties.
> (cornish pasty)
> At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> change in meal plans.
> thanks

sandy

"sandy" > wrote in message
> Hi to all
> I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for pasties.
> (cornish pasty)
> At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> change in meal plans.
> thanks

Arri London

sandy wrote:

> Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> cheers

Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
any filling.

> "sandy" > wrote in message
> > Hi to all
> > I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for pasties.
> > (cornish pasty)
> > At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> > change in meal plans.
> > thanks

Arri London

sandy wrote:

> Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> cheers

Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
any filling.

> "sandy" > wrote in message
> > Hi to all
> > I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for pasties.
> > (cornish pasty)
> > At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> > change in meal plans.
> > thanks

sandy

What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
cheers
"Arri London" > wrote in message

> sandy wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> > cheers

> Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
> any filling.
>

> > "sandy" > wrote in message
> > > Hi to all
> > > I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for

pasties.
> > > (cornish pasty)
> > > At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> > > change in meal plans.
> > > thanks

sandy

What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
cheers
"Arri London" > wrote in message

> sandy wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> > cheers

> Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
> any filling.
>

> > "sandy" > wrote in message
> > > Hi to all
> > > I would like a recipe to make low fat pastry, which I can use for

pasties.
> > > (cornish pasty)
> > > At the moment my hub & I are on low calorie intake per day & we need a
> > > change in meal plans.
> > > thanks

Arri London

sandy wrote:

> What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> cheers

AKA filo or fillo. Very thin sheets of dough. Bakes up crisp. Used to
make spanakopita or boureka etc.
In the freezer case in most supermarkets.

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > sandy wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> > > cheers

> > Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
> > any filling.

> pasties.

Arri London

sandy wrote:

> What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> cheers

AKA filo or fillo. Very thin sheets of dough. Bakes up crisp. Used to
make spanakopita or boureka etc.
In the freezer case in most supermarkets.

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > sandy wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for those answers you have given me something to think about.
> > > cheers

> > Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
> > any filling.

> pasties.

Christopher Green

"sandy" > wrote in message >...
> What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> cheers

Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry, but
it is a lot of work.

Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
though...

--
Chris Green
Christopher Green

"sandy" > wrote in message >...
> What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> cheers

Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry, but
it is a lot of work.

Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
though...

--
Chris Green
Arri London

Christopher Green wrote:

> "sandy" > wrote in message >...
> > What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> > cheers

> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry, but
> it is a lot of work.
>
> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
> though...
>
> --
> Chris Green

LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!
Arri London

Christopher Green wrote:

> "sandy" > wrote in message >...
> > What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
> > cheers

> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry, but
> it is a lot of work.
>
> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
> though...
>
> --
> Chris Green

LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

Wayne

Arri London > wrote in :

> Christopher Green wrote:
>>
>> "sandy" > wrote in message
>> > What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
>> > cheers

>> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
>> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
>> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry,
>> but it is a lot of work.
>>
>> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
>> though...
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green

> LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
brushing each sheet but melted butter.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Arri London > wrote in :

> Christopher Green wrote:
>>
>> "sandy" > wrote in message
>> > What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .
>> > cheers

>> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
>> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
>> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry,
>> but it is a lot of work.
>>
>> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
>> though...
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green

> LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
brushing each sheet but melted butter.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Arri London

Wayne wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Christopher Green wrote:

> >> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
> >> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
> >> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry,
> >> but it is a lot of work.
> >>
> >> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
> >> though...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Chris Green

> > LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

> True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
> brushing each sheet but melted butter.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter is
extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making baklava
and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping something
I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use phyllo.
Arri London

Wayne wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Christopher Green wrote:

> >> Thin sheets of dough, markets around here (SoCal) carry it in the
> >> frozen foods. Sometimes spelled "filo". Thaw, lay out several sheets,
> >> fill and roll. You can make your own if you are handy with pastry,
> >> but it is a lot of work.
> >>
> >> Phyllo is no longer low-fat if you put butter between the layers,
> >> though...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Chris Green

> > LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

> True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
> brushing each sheet but melted butter.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter is
extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making baklava
and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping something
I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use phyllo.
Wayne

Arri London > wrote in :

> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> Arri London > wrote in
>> :

>> > LOL the phyllo is low fat. Adulterations may change that of course!

>> True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
>> brushing each sheet but melted butter.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter
> is extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making
> baklava and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping
> something I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use
> phyllo.

If you say it works for you, I'll take your word for it. IME, it wasn't
a very appealing result. I don't remember what I tried once without
using butter on the phyllo, but perhaps the filling wasn't rich enough.
In any event, I didn't like it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

sandy

Thanks I should have figured that out for myself, I use fillo a lot.
cheers
"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Wayne wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London > wrote in
> >> :

> >> True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
> >> brushing each sheet but melted butter.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne in Phoenix

> > But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter
> > is extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making
> > baklava and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping
> > something I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use
> > phyllo.

> If you say it works for you, I'll take your word for it. IME, it wasn't
> a very appealing result. I don't remember what I tried once without
> using butter on the phyllo, but perhaps the filling wasn't rich enough.
> In any event, I didn't like it.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

sandy

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Wayne wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London > wrote in
> >> :

> >> True, but I cannot imagine encasing something with phyllo without
> >> brushing each sheet but melted butter.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne in Phoenix

> > But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter
> > is extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making
> > baklava and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping
> > something I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use
> > phyllo.

> If you say it works for you, I'll take your word for it. IME, it wasn't
> a very appealing result. I don't remember what I tried once without
> using butter on the phyllo, but perhaps the filling wasn't rich enough.
> In any event, I didn't like it.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix
>
> unmunge as w-e-b
>
> *If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
> *A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Arri London

Wayne wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Wayne wrote:

<snip>

> > But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter
> > is extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making
> > baklava and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping
> > something I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use
> > phyllo.

> If you say it works for you, I'll take your word for it. IME, it wasn't
> a very appealing result. I don't remember what I tried once without
> using butter on the phyllo, but perhaps the filling wasn't rich enough.
> In any event, I didn't like it.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

Not liking the result and not having it work are two rather separate
issues
Arri London

Wayne wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Wayne wrote:

<snip>

> > But I do that all the time. If the filling is rich enough, the butter
> > is extraneous. Yes I use melted butter between layers when making
> > baklava and similar. The layers need to be separate. But when wrapping
> > something I don't use the butter. That's just the way I learnt to use
> > phyllo.

> If you say it works for you, I'll take your word for it. IME, it wasn't
> a very appealing result. I don't remember what I tried once without
> using butter on the phyllo, but perhaps the filling wasn't rich enough.
> In any event, I didn't like it.
>
> --
> Wayne in Phoenix

Not liking the result and not having it work are two rather separate
issues
Frogleg

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:24:18 GMT, "sandy" > wrote:

>"Arri London" > wrote in message

>> Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
>> any filling.

>What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .

Phyllo is the tissue-thin 'dough' used for middle-eastern pastries and
other clever dishes. Sheets of it come rolled up and frozen in a bos,
something like puff pastry dough, but *far* more difficult to work
with. Traditionally, one spreads out a leaf/sheet of phyllo, paints
melted butter on it, adds another sheet and more butter, etc. Low-fat
recipes often call for using cooking spray instead of butter. Anyhow,
a stack of 3-5 layers can be used to wrap/fold around a savory or
sweet filling. Then you bake. Bakalava is essentially just
many-layered sheets with nuts, spices, and honey embellishing the
layers. To keep the leaves from drying out and tearing, you're
supposed to keep the unbuttered ones covered with a dampish towel as
you work. I've never had a bit of luck with it, but I suppose it's one
of those techniques that comes with practice.

Frogleg

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:24:18 GMT, "sandy" > wrote:

>"Arri London" > wrote in message

>> Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just about
>> any filling.

>What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .

Phyllo is the tissue-thin 'dough' used for middle-eastern pastries and
other clever dishes. Sheets of it come rolled up and frozen in a bos,
something like puff pastry dough, but *far* more difficult to work
with. Traditionally, one spreads out a leaf/sheet of phyllo, paints
melted butter on it, adds another sheet and more butter, etc. Low-fat
recipes often call for using cooking spray instead of butter. Anyhow,
a stack of 3-5 layers can be used to wrap/fold around a savory or
sweet filling. Then you bake. Bakalava is essentially just
many-layered sheets with nuts, spices, and honey embellishing the
layers. To keep the leaves from drying out and tearing, you're
supposed to keep the unbuttered ones covered with a dampish towel as
you work. I've never had a bit of luck with it, but I suppose it's one
of those techniques that comes with practice.
Wayne

Frogleg > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:24:18 GMT, "sandy" > wrote:
>

>>"Arri London" > wrote in message

>>> Phyllo dough is quite lowfat and would make a good casing for just
>>> about any filling.

>>What is phyllo dough, I have never heard of it .

> Phyllo is the tissue-thin 'dough' used for middle-eastern pastries and
> other clever dishes. Sheets of it come rolled up and frozen in a bos,
> something like puff pastry dough, but *far* more difficult to work
> with. Traditionally, one spreads out a leaf/sheet of phyllo, paints
> melted butter on it, adds another sheet and more butter, etc. Low-fat
> recipes often call for using cooking spray instead of butter. Anyhow,
> a stack of 3-5 layers can be used to wrap/fold around a savory or
> sweet filling. Then you bake. Bakalava is essentially just
> many-layered sheets with nuts, spices, and honey embellishing the
> layers. To keep the leaves from drying out and tearing, you're
> supposed to keep the unbuttered ones covered with a dampish towel as
> you work. I've never had a bit of luck with it, but I suppose it's one
> of those techniques that comes with practice.

I've had better luck with it when I could buy it fresh at a Greek market.
The trick with the frozen is in the thawing, so as not to have it stick
together in wetter areas. Also, I've found that a *very* damp towel is
necessary to keep it from drying.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Frogleg > wrote in
:

Oil pastry Tim w General Cooking 6 11-05-2015 05:48 AM
Basic Pie Pastry Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 13-11-2007 10:00 AM
Puff pastry 101 Andy General Cooking 1 06-10-2005 03:10 PM
Pattie pastry NewsGroups General Cooking 2 07-09-2005 03:00 AM
Pattie pastry B Bear General Cooking 1 04-09-2005 04:07 PM