Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oil pastry

I want to make a quick simple pastry of flour, water, (olive) oil and
salt. Trying to find the proportions all in grams so I can just put the
ingredients in a bowl and mix. As usual the internet is awash with
muddled and inaccurate info. Where would I find this? without eggs or
tbsps or cups or lbs and oz? Huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 07/05/2015 12:52, wrote:
> On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:30:33 +0100, Tim w > wrote:
>
>> I want to make a quick simple pastry of flour, water, (olive) oil and
>> salt. Trying to find the proportions all in grams so I can just put the
>> ingredients in a bowl and mix. As usual the internet is awash with
>> muddled and inaccurate info. Where would I find this? without eggs or
>> tbsps or cups or lbs and oz? Huh?

> Go to google, put in pastry made with olive oil in grams - I received
> several answers. I am not sure I would make it with olive oil, all
> lard is nicest, flakiest, but YMMV.
>
> If you do make it with oil, do report back on the results, I'd be
> interested. Normally for a quick, shortcrust pastry, you could enter
> shortcrust pastry recipe in grams.

In Italy they don't make pastry like us Anglo-Saxons. They use olive oil
and water and there is every variation of oil, water, yeasted,
unleavened, 'short', chewy, crumbly etc. But that's beside the point for me.

I was making a simple open vegetable and cheese pie known as Homity Pie.
For economy of time and effort I put the one earthenware pie dish on the
scales, weighed the ingredients directly into it, mixed and kneaded in
the bowl then flattened, thumbed and stretched the dough/pastry to line
the bowl, then left it to rest as I prepared the filling. So no rubbing,
no food processor, no rolling and no waste.

Result was good. Chewy not crumbly as you might expect from a mixture
more water than oil. I might try the same technique with soft butter
instead of olive oil then my English pie will be less of a
cross-cultural muddle.

Tim W
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:30:33 +0100, Tim w > wrote:

> I want to make a quick simple pastry of flour, water, (olive) oil and
> salt. Trying to find the proportions all in grams so I can just put the
> ingredients in a bowl and mix. As usual the internet is awash with
> muddled and inaccurate info. Where would I find this? without eggs or
> tbsps or cups or lbs and oz? Huh?

You need to pick a way to measure first mainly because you're a pie
crust novice. If you've ever watched someone "not" measure, it's
because they've done it so many times that they can eyeball the
amounts and their pastry turns out well anyway.

I have never made an oil crust, but this looks like it could work
http://hubpages.com/hub/PieCrustRecipe--Easy--Foolproof I'd
definitely use the milk called for in that recipe because dairy =
flavor. Heck, use cream if you have it.

There's some interesting science when it comes to pie crust. It turns
out everything we've been told is wrong, so oil might work better than
I expect.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/s...o-go-away.html

Not sure why you're against egg. It's the French way. I've tried
that style and it made an excellent crust - but I'm American, so I
make American style pie crust... in my food processor. You should
read this anyway - it might change your mind about using egg.
http://www.danamadeit.com/2011/12/da...pie-crust.html

Martha Stewart is a stickler for detail, so her recipes work if you
follow the directions. Here is her food processor butter crust
http://www.food.com/recipe/martha-st...ll&mode=metric
You can switch back and forth between metric and US measurements at
Food.com.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2015 7:30 AM, Tim w wrote:
> I want to make a quick simple pastry of flour, water, (olive) oil and
> salt. Trying to find the proportions all in grams so I can just put the
> ingredients in a bowl and mix. As usual the internet is awash with
> muddled and inaccurate info. Where would I find this? without eggs or
> tbsps or cups or lbs and oz? Huh?

Problem is, the best cooks usually end the recipe with "when it feels
right" You may do best with a basic recipe and do your own conversion,
once it feels right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tim w wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 07/05/2015 12:52, wrote:
> >On Thu, 07 May 2015 12:30:33 +0100, Tim w >

> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to make a quick simple pastry of flour, water, (olive) oil
> > > and salt. Trying to find the proportions all in grams so I can
> > > just put the ingredients in a bowl and mix. As usual the internet
> > > is awash with muddled and inaccurate info. Where would I find
> > > this? without eggs or tbsps or cups or lbs and oz? Huh?

> > Go to google, put in pastry made with olive oil in grams - I
> > received several answers. I am not sure I would make it with olive
> > oil, all lard is nicest, flakiest, but YMMV.
> >
> > If you do make it with oil, do report back on the results, I'd be
> > interested. Normally for a quick, shortcrust pastry, you could
> > enter shortcrust pastry recipe in grams.
> >

> In Italy they don't make pastry like us Anglo-Saxons. They use olive
> oil and water and there is every variation of oil, water, yeasted,
> unleavened, 'short', chewy, crumbly etc. But that's beside the point
> for me.
>
> I was making a simple open vegetable and cheese pie known as Homity
> Pie. For economy of time and effort I put the one earthenware pie
> dish on the scales, weighed the ingredients directly into it, mixed
> and kneaded in the bowl then flattened, thumbed and stretched the
> dough/pastry to line the bowl, then left it to rest as I prepared the
> filling. So no rubbing, no food processor, no rolling and no waste.
>
> Result was good. Chewy not crumbly as you might expect from a mixture
> more water than oil. I might try the same technique with soft butter
> instead of olive oil then my English pie will be less of a
> cross-cultural muddle.
>
> Tim W

Hi Tim, what is 'short butter'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Tim w wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 07/05/2015 12:52, wrote:

>> > Go to google, put in pastry made with olive oil in grams - I
>> > received several answers. I am not sure I would make it with olive
>> > oil, all lard is nicest, flakiest, but YMMV.
>> >
>> > If you do make it with oil, do report back on the results, I'd be
>> > interested. Normally for a quick, shortcrust pastry, you could
>> > enter shortcrust pastry recipe in grams.
>> >

>> In Italy they don't make pastry like us Anglo-Saxons. They use olive
>> oil and water and there is every variation of oil, water, yeasted,
>> unleavened, 'short', chewy, crumbly etc. But that's beside the point
>> for me.
>>
>> I was making a simple open vegetable and cheese pie known as Homity
>> Pie. For economy of time and effort I put the one earthenware pie
>> dish on the scales, weighed the ingredients directly into it, mixed
>> and kneaded in the bowl then flattened, thumbed and stretched the
>> dough/pastry to line the bowl, then left it to rest as I prepared the
>> filling. So no rubbing, no food processor, no rolling and no waste.
>>
>> Result was good. Chewy not crumbly as you might expect from a mixture
>> more water than oil. I might try the same technique with soft butter
>> instead of olive oil then my English pie will be less of a
>> cross-cultural muddle.
>>
>> Tim W

> Hi Tim, what is 'short butter'?

He said soft butter.

Basic Pie Pastry Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 13-11-2007 09:00 AM
Puff pastry 101 Andy General Cooking 1 06-10-2005 03:10 PM
Pattie pastry NewsGroups General Cooking 2 07-09-2005 03:00 AM
Pattie pastry B Bear General Cooking 1 04-09-2005 04:07 PM
Low fat pastry sandy General Cooking 27 29-08-2004 10:07 PM