Scott

Default goat cheese

A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
kilikini

"Scott" > wrote in message
> A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.
>
> --
> to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
>
> <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Put it on a pita and make a goat cheese pizza.

kili

Jessica V.

Spread it on some good bread top with roasted vegetables of choice, I
usually use zuchini, eggplant and red pepper, add some crispy romaine
and some thick slices of ripe tomato and you've got a fantaistic
sandwich.

Jessica

Dave Smith

Scott wrote:

> A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.

Chevre salads are great. We first had them in France and my son loved them
and we started making them at home. Just put some goat cheese on a piece of
toast and serve under, over or beside a salad, preferably with some endive,
or some mesclum, and topped with a little oil and vinegar. When we were in
Montreal a few weeks ago we ate at a Parisian style bistro where my son
ordered it. They served the chevre on rounds of bread that appeared to have
been fried in olive oil and then the chevre toast was lightly broiled and
the salad was on the side. It was delicious.

Doug Kanter

It's a good counterpoint to slightly bitter tastes. For instance, try
rolling eggplant or chicken breasts around swiss chard and some of that
cheese. Damn. Now i'm hungry and lunch is an hour away.

"Scott" > wrote in message
>A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.
>
> --
> to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
>
> <http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

pjjehg

"Scott" wrote ...
>A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.

LOL. I was reading the responses so far, and ever one of them was for
exactly what you requested they not be---nary a one for what you did in fact
request. I've run into this in personal emails also---the recipient answers
without fully reading the text. Oh well....

As for ideas, I think diced roasted red peppers mixed would be good---hot
peppers also. How about Penzey's Greek Salad Dressing blend?

Pam

Scott

Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
(like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
cheese into.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
gkm

Scott wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
> really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
> (like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
> cheese into.

Just a wild guess here. If you can get Harissa try mixing it into some.
Caveat never tried it, but it might be interesting!
Dee Randall

"gkm" > wrote in message
> Scott wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
>> really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
>> (like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
>> cheese into.
>>

> Just a wild guess here. If you can get Harissa try mixing it into some.
> Caveat never tried it, but it might be interesting!

I googled Harissa because even though I love hot spicy stuff, I was
wondering how hot it might be to add to a goat cheese. I've only eaten it
once and it was too hot for me, but the recipe to make it doesn't look like
it's supposed to be 'that' hot.
http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0079.html

It looks like a condiment that I could add for couscous.
By the way, the bulk couscous that I bought that had the instructions to
microwave it; after reading feedback from this ng I decided to steam it. I
steamed it 10 minutes, didn't break it up, and steam again for 2 minutes.
But it was done, fluffy and good.

After discussing bulgar at the Mediterranean store, I decided to go with
another brand bulgar there, and will give it another go at some date (it was
vacuum-packed).

* Exported from MasterCook *

Harissa Hot Chili Paste(Tunisia)

Recipe By : Paula Wolfert Mediterranean Cooking
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Mc Spice Mix

3 ounces mild and hot chilies -- dried
mixture of anchos, New Mexican and -- guajillos
1 clove garlic -- crushed with salt
1/4 teaspoon salt -- for above
1 teaspoon coriander -- ground
1 teaspoon caraway seed -- ground
1 red bell pepper -- roasted
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
olive oil

Stem Seed and break up chilies. Place in a bowl and pour over boiling
water.
Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain; wrap in cheeseclothe and press out
excesss moisture. Do the same for the red Bell Pepper. Grind chilies in
food
processor with garlic spices, red bell pepper, and salt. Add enough oil to
make a thick paste. Pack the mixture in a small dry jar; cover the harissa
with a thin layer of oil, close th with a lid and keep refrigerated. Will
keep 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator with a thin layer of oil.

Table harissa sauce.

Serve at the table as an accompaniment to meat or fish, the heighten the
flavor of salads, or as an accompaniment to Tunisian couscous: Combine 4
teaspoons harissa paste, 4 yeaspoons water, 2 teaspoon olive opil, and 1 or
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice in a small bowl and blend well makes 1/4 cup.
****
(Don't know what guajillos are.)
Dee Dee

Del Cecchi

Jessica V. wrote:
> Spread it on some good bread top with roasted vegetables of choice, I
> usually use zuchini, eggplant and red pepper, add some crispy romaine
> and some thick slices of ripe tomato and you've got a fantaistic
> sandwich.
>
> Jessica

or make a salad...

recipe from my daughter...D'amico's is a restaurant in Minneapolis.

D'amico's Addictive As Crack and Not Much Cheaper Salad

Mixed fancy greens
Balsamic vinaigrette
Candied Walnuts
Strawberries
Chevre cheese

1. Combine all and eat with a side of bread. YUM! I didn't know what
Chevre cheese is and I was suspicious of anything FRENCH with their
sneaky cheese for oil deals, but I found it in the fancy cheese section
and bought the brand that was made in Canada instead, much preferable
with their sneaky pulp and paper for oil deals.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Del Cecchi

Scott wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
> really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
> (like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
> cheese into.

OK, just go to a fancy cheese store and look at what they do. Truffles,
ash, herbs, etc for example at

http://www.gourmetfoodstore.com/chee...73DNNA9N2W9 D

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
strategies or opinions.”
Dave Smith

pjjehg wrote:

> "Scott" wrote ...
> >A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> > goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> > tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> > ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> > the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> > recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.
> >

> LOL. I was reading the responses so far, and ever one of them was for
> exactly what you requested they not be---nary a one for what you did in fact
> request. I've run into this in personal emails also---the recipient answers
> without fully reading the text. Oh well....

Them's the breaks in usenet. Someone introduces a subject and the threat takes
on a life of its own.

Chevre sold around here usually comes plain or encrusted with an herb mixture.
Frankly, I don't see the point of flavouring chevre. It's not like lite cream
cheese or other bland cheeses that start off tasting like two thirds of nothing.
Chevre naturally has a unique taste, rich and pungent. I would be as likely to
try to make a flavoured chevre as a flavoured Danish Blue or Roquefort.

Scott wrote:
> A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half pound of
> goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any other
> ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on crackers and
> the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.
>
> --
> to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
>
> <http://www.thecoffeefaq.

Roasted red peppers, pureed or chopped (substitute jarred pimientos if
you want) or chopped sundried tomatoes. For something with a little
punch, chopped roasted poblano chiles. Roasted garlic, rather than
plain. Chopped herbs.

-bwg

Scott

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> I googled Harissa because even though I love hot spicy stuff, I was
> wondering how hot it might be to add to a goat cheese. I've only eaten it
> once and it was too hot for me, but the recipe to make it doesn't look like
> it's supposed to be 'that' hot.
> http://www.recipesource.com/side-dis...0/rec0079.html
>
> It looks like a condiment that I could add for couscous.
> By the way, the bulk couscous that I bought that had the instructions to
> microwave it; after reading feedback from this ng I decided to steam it. I
> steamed it 10 minutes, didn't break it up, and steam again for 2 minutes.
> But it was done, fluffy and good.

I like hot a lot, and harissa is great for falafel. For goat cheese... I
don't know. Would I even taste the cheese itself?

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
serene

Scott > wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
> really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
> (like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
> cheese into.

I roll it in fresh herbs. Dill is nice. So is a mix of marjoram, thyme,
and a tiny bit of oregano. Another thing I like is a bit of paprika and
parsley -- very pretty.

serene

Doug Freyburger

Scott wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, but I just wanted to reiterate that I was
> really just looking for a flavoring additive to mix into the goat cheese
> (like my friend's garlic recommendation), not recipes to incorporate the
> cheese into.

Goat cheese can be intense, so at first only eat it
in small quantities. Some love it, some hate it,
some get sick of it fast.

Various stuff to mix into it:

Regular cream cheese - make it milder and easier to spread

Assorted green herbs from your herb garden - The ones that
are thriving at my place this year are basil, sorrel,
lovage and one of the types of thyme. The ones that are
thriving at your place this year are (fill in the blank).

Finely diced peppers - If pepper jack is good, pepper bock
must be as well.

A dash of bock beer - Since the name "bock" means goat it
is some sort of poetic match. The worst that can happen
is you won't like it and you'll have to cleanse your
pallet with the rest of that bottle of nice brew.

Olive oil - Feta is nice when chunks of it are in oil.
Isn't feta sheep cheese? Ah well, close enough to be
worth a try.

I like cream cheese and berries, even berry preserves.
Might be worth a try to mix some berries. Fruit and
cheese is a classic combo, so maybe side by side on a
plate is less controvertial than mushed together.

Port is good mashed into cheddar. I wonder if there's
a type of wine mashed into goat cheese. Intense cheese,
intense wine so maybe a carb or chardonney.

You mentioned a cracker. You know what a really big
cracker is called? If you put tomato as well as goat
cheese, it's called a thin crust pizza. No need to
use *only* goat cheese. Mixed cheese types work fine.
I know, you wanted simple additives not a recipe ...

Joseph Littleshoes

Dave Smith wrote:

> pjjehg wrote:
>
> > "Scott" wrote ...
> > >A friend of mine raises goats, and he just gave me about a half

> pound of
> > > goat cheese. He recommended using the first half (it came in two
> > > tube-shapes) straight, and maybe adding garlic to the second. Any

> other
> > > ideas? I'd prefer ideas for flavoring additives for use on

> crackers and
> > > the like, rather than incorporating the goat cheese in another
> > > recipe--i.e., flavoring the cheese, not cooking with it.

Consider thinly sliced and sautéed till crisp golden brown slices of
garlic incorporated whole either into the cheese or as an outside
coating for it, crushed pistachios are nice also. Buttermilk added to
make a more spreadable cheese is sometimes done, along with sour cream
or even plain un-flavored yogurt or any combination there of. Cracked
black pepper is another nice addition

Though it is, strictly speaking not pertinent to your question, making
pancetta bags and filling them with a bit of the cheese and then
sautéing till the bacon is cooked and the cheese all melted in the bag
of bacon is very nice with goat cheese. A single strand of chive will
suffice to tie up and seal the 'bag' of pancetta, but do not try to tie
it like a package or box, if you expose the chive strand to the surface
of the pan it will fall apart and you package come unsealed.

> > LOL. I was reading the responses so far, and ever one of them was

> for
> > exactly what you requested they not be---nary a one for what you did

> in fact
> > request. I've run into this in personal emails also---the recipient

> answers
> > without fully reading the text. Oh well....

> Them's the breaks in usenet. Someone introduces a subject and the
> threat takes
> on a life of its own.
>
> Chevre sold around here usually comes plain or encrusted with an herb
> mixture.
> Frankly, I don't see the point of flavouring chevre. It's not like
> lite cream
> cheese or other bland cheeses that start off tasting like two thirds
> of nothing.
> Chevre naturally has a unique taste, rich and pungent. I would be as
> likely to
> try to make a flavoured chevre as a flavoured Danish Blue or
> Roquefort.

I think the goat cheese takes other flavors easier than does a blue.

> > As for ideas, I think diced roasted red peppers mixed would be

> good---hot
> > peppers also. How about Penzey's Greek Salad Dressing blend?
> >
> > Pam

I have crumbled goat cheese in a salad with an Italian vinaigrette to
very good results.
---
JL