Dee Randall

Default Panko bread crumbs - how to make

I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich for
my budget.

Here is how to make your own
http://maki.typepad.com/justhungry/2.../tonkatsu.html

Has anyone tried this technique?

"The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your own. To
make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake the
white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would turn
the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets and dry
in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly try -
not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed plastic bags
or containers for quite a long time."

Thanks,
Dee Dee

Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall wrote:

> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little
> rich for
> my budget.

Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the pound
(16 ounces) for 99 cents.

I occasionally make my own bread coating from freshly baked bread for
just caught fish but other wise use the packaged variety. Normally i
use an "Italian" flavoured bread crumb but the panko is getting more
popular around here with each use.
---
JL

> Here is how to make your own
> http://maki.typepad.com/justhungry/2.../tonkatsu.html
>
> Has anyone tried this technique?
>
> "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
> crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
> You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your
> own. To
> make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake
> the
> white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would
> turn
> the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets
> and dry
> in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly
> try -
> not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed
> plastic bags
> or containers for quite a long time."
>
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
>> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little
>> rich for
>> my budget.

> Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the pound
> (16 ounces) for 99 cents.
>
> I occasionally make my own bread coating from freshly baked bread for
> just caught fish but other wise use the packaged variety. Normally i
> use an "Italian" flavoured bread crumb but the panko is getting more
> popular around here with each use.
> ---
> JL
>

>> Here is how to make your own
>> http://maki.typepad.com/justhungry/2.../tonkatsu.html
>>
>> Has anyone tried this technique?
>>
>> "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
>> crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
>> You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your
>> own. To
>> make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake
>> the
>> white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would
>> turn
>> the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets
>> and dry
>> in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly
>> try -
>> not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed
>> plastic bags
>> or containers for quite a long time."
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the pound
> (16 ounces) for 99 cents.

Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product named
otherwise?
thanks,
Dee Dee

Peter Aitken

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
> for my budget.

That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or Korean
rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near you?

--
Peter Aitken

aem

Dee Randall wrote:
> [snip]
> Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product named
> otherwise?

I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in origin,
from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white bread that
produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense (for a white
bread) texture.

We buy French bread which goes stale quickly, nearly always before
we've finished a loaf. The stale bread, some crust removed, goes into
the whizzer and becomes bread crumbs. They sit in a ziploc bag in the
freezer, to get seasoned to fit whatever the use is. Couldn't be
simpler or cheaper. -aem

kilikini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
> > googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
> > for my budget.
> >

> That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or Korean
> rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near you?
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Jeez, we get 2 bags for $1 at our Asian store! Next time we go, I have some
set aside for Jill and Carol. Anyone else need some?

kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted fried
tofu.

Nancy Young

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product
>> named
>> otherwise?

> I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in origin,
> from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white bread that
> produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense (for a white
> bread) texture.

I don't know where I heard this, but somewhere I got the idea that
panko is made from rice bread or something??? If I'm wrong, feel
free to say so. I'd look it up except I keep getting kicked off my
connection.

nancy

kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "aem" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product
> >> named
> >> otherwise?

> > I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in origin,
> > from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white bread that
> > produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense (for a white
> > bread) texture.

> I don't know where I heard this, but somewhere I got the idea that
> panko is made from rice bread or something??? If I'm wrong, feel
> free to say so. I'd look it up except I keep getting kicked off my
> connection.
>
> nancy

Nope, I think the ingredients say wheat. I should just get a packet out of
my cabinet and look it up.

kili

Dee Randall

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
>> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
>> for my budget.
>>

> That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or Korean
> rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near you?

Yes, there are, but I've searched for them there. Since I've not seen Panko
crumbs (by that name brand), and have nothing to compare them to in Panko's
size and consistency, I'm wondering: are you buying the brand Panko itself
or something else similar to Panko. I've bought only the Italian breadcrumbs
which are seasoned and finely ground, so I know what they look like, but I
don't know how the panko should look so as to judge what I should be buying
if I substitute.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:11:31 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product named
> otherwise?
> thanks,
> Dee Dee

The package will have the word "Panko" in large letters. You won't
miss it if it's on the shelf.

Dee Randall

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
>> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
>> for my budget.
>>

> That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or Korean
> rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near you?
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

Ah ha, Peter, I see what you are speaking of
http://www.asiafoods.com/asi/showdet...ID=281&CATID=7

Korean product, Minato, but Japanese style
Thanks - I get it now.
Dee Dee

Mark Thorson

Dee Randall wrote:

> Has anyone tried this technique?
>
> "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
> crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
> You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your own. To
> make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake the
> white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would turn
> the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets and dry
> in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly try -
> not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed plastic bags
> or containers for quite a long time."

I think the home-made panko would also have to be
sifted to remove fine particles. Real panko has remarkably
uniform particle size (considering that it's breadcrumbs)
and a noticable absence of fines (other than those resulting
from attrition during shipment).

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:42:49 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich for
> my budget.
>
> Here is how to make your own
> http://maki.typepad.com/justhungry/2.../tonkatsu.html
>
> Has anyone tried this technique?
>
> "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
> crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
> You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your own. To
> make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake the
> white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would turn
> the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets and dry
> in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly dry -
> not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed plastic bags
> or containers for quite a long time."

I haven't made it, but that looks right to me. Panko is (white) large
grained and fluffy looking, when compared to regular bread crumbs.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/panko2.jpg
www.foodsubs.com/Crumbs.html
Nancy Young

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>> I don't know where I heard this, but somewhere I got the idea that
>> panko is made from rice bread or something??? If I'm wrong, feel
>> free to say so. I'd look it up except I keep getting kicked off my
>> connection.

> Nope, I think the ingredients say wheat. I should just get a packet out
> of
> my cabinet and look it up.

Heh, you can read yours? I'd have to call my mother, okay, there's
a downtroke with sort of a box coming off the right and a slash through
it? and she'd translate it into english for me. Okay, next character.
It kinda looks like a tv antenna? (laugh)

Could be all day.

nancy

kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:42:49 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> > "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and

> > crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
> > You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your own.

> > make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake

the
> > white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would

turn
> > the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets and

dry
> > in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly

dry -
> > not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed plastic

bags
> > or containers for quite a long time."
> >

> I haven't made it, but that looks right to me. Panko is (white) large
> grained and fluffy looking, when compared to regular bread crumbs.
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/panko2.jpg
> www.foodsubs.com/Crumbs.html

Okay, I'm reading off the label of what I have here at home:

Minato Bread Crumbs

With Honey, Butter PANKO soft finished flakes, net st. 6 oz. (171 g)

INGREDIENTS: What (I guess it should read wheat, but this is what it says)
Flour, Yeast, Salt, Honey, Butter, Sugar.

Oh and sorry, that's 2 bags for $1.99. It's distributed by Minato U.S.A.
Corp, Gardena, CA.

This is the kind I can get here (Cesspool Florida) and it's the kind sold in
Hawaii. It what I'm used to. I like it. It's good and it's crispy.
Directions clearly say to roll in tempura batter first (I never do, I use
flour) roll in eggs with a mixture of water and salt, roll in panko and fry.
Simple!

kili

Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> >> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so

> >> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little
> >> rich for
> >> my budget.

> >> Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the

> pound
> > (16 ounces) for 99 cents.
> >

> Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product
> named
> otherwise?
> thanks,
> Dee Dee

I will ask next time i buy a package, the one i buy has the word "PANKO"
in English prominently displayed on it but surrounded by a bunch of
Japanese writing i do not understand.

There are several brands available in the stores i go to but they are
all alike in that respect so i suspect "PANKO" is a product sold under
various brand names, which are probly in Japanese. I get the blue
package just cause that is the one i first bought and was satisfied with
it, i seem to recall there is a pink bag also. I suspect it is a bit
like buying pasta, one brand is not that much different than another,
even the very expensive 'gourmet' or 'boutique' pasta's are not all that
much better than ordinary bulk, commercial, generic pasta.

After having watched an American P.B.S. t.v. show about one of The
Queen of Englands' personal Chiefs, i now make small seasoned 'croutons'
or cubes of fresh bread with which to 'bread' a piece of fish. If i am
making chicken fried steak i use the Italian or panko breading. Though
i have had it with a very nice battering. Seasoned flour and milk and
egg rather than bread crumbs.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:42:49 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
>> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
>> for
>> my budget.
>>
>> Here is how to make your own
>> http://maki.typepad.com/justhungry/2.../tonkatsu.html
>>
>> Has anyone tried this technique?
>>
>> "The thing that makes panko unique is that the flakes are bigger and
>> crunchier than the kind sold by non-Japanese food manufacturers.
>> You can buy panko ready-made at Japanese food stores, or make your own.
>> make your own, take off the crusts of day-old good white bread. Flake
>> the
>> white part of the bread by hand, not the food processor, which would
>> turn
>> the bread into powder. Spread out the bread crumbs on baking sheets and
>> dry
>> in the oven at a very low temperature until the crumbs are thoroughly
>> dry -
>> not colored, just crunchy. You can store this in tightly sealed plastic
>> bags
>> or containers for quite a long time."
>>

> I haven't made it, but that looks right to me. Panko is (white) large
> grained and fluffy looking, when compared to regular bread crumbs.
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Photos/panko2.jpg
> www.foodsubs.com/Crumbs.html

Thanks, everyone. I am armed with good information and I know I'm going to
find Panko crumbs my next trip to an Asian market.
Dee Dee

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

sf wrote on 31 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:11:31 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> > Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a
> > product named otherwise?
> > thanks,
> > Dee Dee
> >

> The package will have the word "Panko" in large letters. You
> won't miss it if it's on the shelf.

A guy that looks like Homer Simpson might be on the Cellophane
Bag...Lots of Yellow and Red on the bag too.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so

> >> googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little

> rich
> >> for my budget.
> >>

> > That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or

> Korean
> > rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near

> you?
>
> Yes, there are, but I've searched for them there. Since I've not seen
> Panko
> crumbs (by that name brand), and have nothing to compare them to in
> Panko's
> size and consistency, I'm wondering: are you buying the brand Panko
> itself
> or something else similar to Panko. I've bought only the Italian
> breadcrumbs
> which are seasoned and finely ground, so I know what they look like,
> but I
> don't know how the panko should look so as to judge what I should be
> buying
> if I substitute.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

The product might better be labelled or described as 'bread flakes'
rather than 'crumbs' unlike the Italian bread 'crumbs' the panko is a
more flattened, flake like particle of 'bread'. I just recently threw
away an empty package or i would check to see if it is a rice bread as
another contributor to this thread suggested it might be, which makes
sense to me. It adds a very subtle flavour but some brands have MSG
added.

To 'substitute' try making some small croutons of fresh bread, cut some
fresh bread into small cubes then dip a piece of meat into some milk or
beaten egg yolk and roll it in the bread cubes, some of the bread will
go flat, or "squishy" but some of the out side bread crumbs will retain
their form and be only damp and sauté up very nicely, browning and
crisping on the out side and yet light and fluffy on the inside. Season
the bread cubes 'to taste'.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Dee Randall

"kilikini" > wrote in message
news

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I
>> > googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little rich
>> > for my budget.
>> >

>> That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or
>> Korean
>> rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries near you?
>>

>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
>>

> Jeez, we get 2 bags for $1 at our Asian store! Next time we go, I have
> some
> set aside for Jill and Carol. Anyone else need some?
>
> kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted fried
> tofu.

I see that Emeril has a program coming up this week, chicken using panko
crumbs.
Dee Dee

Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
> > I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I

> > googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little
> > rich for
> > my budget.

> Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the pound
> (16 ounces) for 99 cents.

Have i bragged here yet about the frozen tilapia at 89 cents a pound?
--
JL

kilikini

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >
> > > I've read about Panko bread crumbs and can't locate any to buy, so I

> > > googled, Panko, and the first site came up $3.45 for 7oz. A little
> > > rich for
> > > my budget.

> > Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the pound
> > (16 ounces) for 99 cents.
> >

> Have i bragged here yet about the frozen tilapia at 89 cents a pound?
> --
> JL

Now you're just being mean, Joseph! <g> I love tilapia and I love it
breaded in Panko!

kili

Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
> > don't know how the panko should look so as to judge what I should be

> > buying
> > if I substitute.
> > Thanks,
> > Dee Dee

> To 'substitute' try making some small croutons of fresh bread, cut
> some
> fresh bread into small cubes then dip a piece of meat into some milk
> or
> beaten egg yolk and roll it in the bread cubes, some of the bread will
>
> go flat, or "squishy" but some of the out side bread crumbs will
> retain
> their form and be only damp and sauté up very nicely, browning and
> crisping on the out side and yet light and fluffy on the inside.
> Season
> the bread cubes 'to taste'.
> ---

Y'all know, like when The Queen of England is too tired to run down to
the corner chip shop & so someone cooks her up a "Royal" plate of
'chips'.

Fresh Dee side salmon lightly coated in a home made breading & an
equally good potato chip or two, served on the side.

But that gold carpeting in the private apartments at Windsor, and red
drapes, i mean... i know red and gold are the livery colours but i cant
imagine an interior quite so dramatic. Even if i could afford it.
Though i understand she was inspired by the Augutus Johns portrait of
Her Mother.

Though the French blue and gold is tempting. Unfortunately I do not
have a room in my house that is not used on a regular basis, i do not
have a 'show room' a room kept specifically to receive and impress guest
with. An highly 'decorated' or arranged room could not nor would not
last long at my place. I once willingly moved out of an apartment cause
the owner and neighbours did not like how i decorated the place. It was
a starkly modern building and i put imitation Georgian English with a
touch of Queen Anne and some few federal period American pieces in and
people decided i was in some way i still do not understand, suspect.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:38:13 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted fried
> tofu.

Is that *firm* tofu and will you marinate it first?
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:42:41 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> I once willingly moved out of an apartment cause
> the owner and neighbours did not like how i decorated the place.

Wow, it's not legal to make you move under those circumstances. I
know you said you moved willingly, so I suspect there's more to the
story.... and it's probably a good one, considering how tolerant we're
supposed to be around here.

Jim Davis

I think this whole thread brings up an excellent point, and that is so
many of us fail to realize how fortunate we are in some respects
regarding the availalbility of 'local' food items and how it may vary so
drastically in other parts of the country. For example I live on the
west coast and have used panko for a long time. It is readily available
and cheap. I think I've bought it for less than $1 a pkg. Shocking to
see what it costs elsewhere. :-P

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

>Dee Randall wrote:
>

>>"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
r.com...

>> snip snip etc

kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:38:13 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>

> > kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted

fried
> > tofu.

> Is that *firm* tofu and will you marinate it first?

yeah, it's firm tofu, but I don't think I want to marinate it. I just want
the plain ole tofu. I like it. To me, it tastes like egg white.

kili

Dee Randall

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
>I think this whole thread brings up an excellent point, and that is so many
>of us fail to realize how fortunate we are in some respects regarding the
>availalbility of 'local' food items and how it may vary so drastically in
>other parts of the country. For example I live on the west coast and have
>used panko for a long time. It is readily available and cheap. I think
>I've bought it for less than $1 a pkg. Shocking to see what it costs
>elsewhere. :-P

Yes, indeed. After living on the west coast from 1964-1993, I had a lot of
re-grouping to do. Some would look in wonderment at me when I answered
their question "How do you like living back here?" with "It's hard not
getting your stuff."
But retail has improved a lot in the last 12 years here and I am able to
find most things after some looking. Thank heavens we live within driving
distance (70-90 miles west of Washington, D.C. ) of items that I recall are
common to west-coast residents. But, if I lived in the boonies where I
really wanted to live, I'd be out of luck; it would be internet shopping all
of the time.
Dee Dee

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

kilikini wrote on 31 Jul 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> This is the kind I can get here (Cesspool Florida) and it's the
> kind sold in Hawaii. It what I'm used to. I like it. It's good
> and it's crispy. Directions clearly say to roll in tempura batter
> first (I never do, I use flour) roll in eggs with a mixture of
> water and salt, roll in panko and fry. Simple!
>
> kili

I roll in eggs, mustard and water...adds a bit of extra flavour. And I
put pepper and some times parm cheese in the panko as well.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
sf

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:45:40 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:38:13 GMT, kilikini wrote:
> >

> > > kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted

> fried
> > > tofu.

> > Is that *firm* tofu and will you marinate it first?

> yeah, it's firm tofu, but I don't think I want to marinate it. I just want
> the plain ole tofu. I like it. To me, it tastes like egg white.

yet another reason to alter the flavor if I was going to try this...
because I absolutely hate egg whites. GAG :\

Peter Aitken

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:38:13 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>>

>> > kili <---------who plans on in the near future making panko crusted

> fried
>> > tofu.

>> Is that *firm* tofu and will you marinate it first?

> yeah, it's firm tofu, but I don't think I want to marinate it. I just
> want
> the plain ole tofu. I like it. To me, it tastes like egg white.
>
> kili

Can you post a recipe? Sounds good.

--
Peter Aitken

Dana

"Dee Randall" > schreef in bericht

> Yes, there are, but I've searched for them there. Since I've not seen

Panko
> crumbs (by that name brand), and have nothing to compare them to in

Panko's
> size and consistency, I'm wondering: are you buying the brand Panko itself
> or something else similar to Panko. I've bought only the Italian

breadcrumbs
> which are seasoned and finely ground, so I know what they look like, but I
> don't know how the panko should look so as to judge what I should be

buying
> if I substitute.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Go to http://images.google.com/images?q=pa...ff&sa=N&tab=wi
You can see pictures of different packages as well as the product itself.

This one is the clearest on the actual size and look of the panko:
http://www.kagerer.de/trend/images/R...41%20Panko.jpg

I always explain the difference as flaky crumbs (panko) opposed to roundish
crumbs (regular breadcrumbs.

Hope this helpes!

Dana

Dee Randall

"Dana" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" > schreef in bericht
>
>> Yes, there are, but I've searched for them there. Since I've not seen

> Panko
>> crumbs (by that name brand), and have nothing to compare them to in

> Panko's
>> size and consistency, I'm wondering: are you buying the brand Panko
>> itself
>> or something else similar to Panko. I've bought only the Italian

> breadcrumbs
>> which are seasoned and finely ground, so I know what they look like, but
>> don't know how the panko should look so as to judge what I should be

> buying
>> if I substitute.
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Go to
> http://images.google.com/images?q=pa...ff&sa=N&tab=wi
> You can see pictures of different packages as well as the product itself.
>
> This one is the clearest on the actual size and look of the panko:
> http://www.kagerer.de/trend/images/R...41%20Panko.jpg
>
> I always explain the difference as flaky crumbs (panko) opposed to
> roundish
> crumbs (regular breadcrumbs.
>
> Hope this helpes!
>
> Dana

Thanks a lot, Dana. I appreciate it. (The second bag looks right up my
alley.)
And all the other replies, too.
Dee Dee

Debbie

Nancy Young wrote:
>> "aem" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in
>>> origin, from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white
>>> bread that produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense
>>> (for a white bread) texture.

>> I don't know where I heard this, but somewhere I got the idea that
>> panko is made from rice bread or something??? If I'm wrong, feel
>> free to say so. I'd look it up except I keep getting kicked off my
>> connection.

From the box:

Ingredients: bleached wheat flour, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, palm
oil, yeast, salt.

Debbie

Debbie

Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> That's outrageous. We pay $1.79 for 7 oz. If you buy a large bag or
>>> Korean rather than Japanese, it is even cheaper. No Asian groceries
>>> near you?

>> Yes, there are, but I've searched for them there. Since I've not
>> seen Panko crumbs (by that name brand), and have nothing to compare
>> them to in Panko's size and consistency, I'm wondering: are you
>> buying the brand Panko itself or something else similar to Panko.

Mine is a blue box and the brand is Dynasty in big letters. Underneath on
the next 3 lines, it is written, "Japanese Style, Bread Crumbs, Panko"

Under the ingredients listings it reads "Imported by/Importé par Japan Food
Canada" followed the address.

Debbie

kilikini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> . ..

> > fried
> >>
> >> Is that *firm* tofu and will you marinate it first?

> > yeah, it's firm tofu, but I don't think I want to marinate it. I just
> > want
> > the plain ole tofu. I like it. To me, it tastes like egg white.
> >
> > kili
> >

> Can you post a recipe? Sounds good.

Slice the tofu relatively thinly, then dip into flour, egg, panko and fry.
It's simple! You *could* add other things to the mix, but I keep it simple.
For garnish you can add green onions if you want. Then I just dip into
shoyu (soy). Delicious!

kili

Mite

aem wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
> > [snip]
> > Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product named
> > otherwise?

> I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in origin,
> from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white bread that
> produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense (for a white
> bread) texture.

Actually, panko means breadcrumbs (pan = bread, ko = powder) in
Japanese. It is not a brand name or a type of bread.

Mite
http://www.ShopNCook.com
Grocery lists in seconds by clicking on items or adding from recipes.

Dee Randall

"Mite" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> aem wrote:
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>> > [snip]
>> > Is it actually the brand "Panko" or should I be looking for a product
>> > named
>> > otherwise?

>> I think Panko is originally the name of the bread, Japanese in origin,
>> from which the breadcrumbs were made. It's a decent white bread that
>> produces good crumbs because of its relatively dense (for a white
>> bread) texture.

> Actually, panko means breadcrumbs (pan = bread, ko = powder) in
> Japanese. It is not a brand name or a type of bread.
>
> Mite
> http://www.ShopNCook.com
> Grocery lists in seconds by clicking on items or adding from recipes.

A great job of PR, I thought that there was only one brand and that it was
Japanese. You know, just like Kleenix had it sewed up for years.
Thanks,
Dee DEe

Dimitri

No it is not the same. The Panko manufacturing process is very
different from
bread. The "batter" is sprayed onto a hot rotating "cooking" drum and
the
batter both cooks and dries at the same time. The resulting flake has
a very
different shape size and texture from that of a breadcrumb. The person
who wrote
the article knows not of what she speaks.

Try an Asian store usually they are priced lower than the stupidmarket.

Dimitri

Joseph Littleshoes

kilikini wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> > Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> so I

> little
> > >
> > > Do you live any where near a "China town" i get it there by the

> pound
> > > (16 ounces) for 99 cents.
> > >

> > Have i bragged here yet about the frozen tilapia at 89 cents a

> pound?
> > --
> > JL
> >

> Now you're just being mean, Joseph! <g> I love tilapia and I love
> it
> breaded in Panko!
>
> kili

Kili:

Sorry about that I was only aware of Tilapia becaue i would see it
mentioned so often in another food group, i had no knowledge of it till
it became a topic of dicussion there. Becaue of this i noticed a sign
in a local market i had seen and ignored many times and decided to try
the tilapia. Now it is a regular component of our diet, it is farm
raised and iirc is some sort of vegitarian fish, is fed only vegitable
based food. I am told that the 98 cent a pound for frozen is very good.

I take it from your e mail address you are in Florida? if you (or any
one else) were in the San Francisco bay area i would be happy to post
the address of the store in Oakland's China town where i purchasse it.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Bread Crumbs deutschemadchen General Cooking 3 20-12-2008 01:45 PM
Substitute packaged bread crumbs for processed crumbs from bread [email protected] General Cooking 7 21-07-2008 10:05 PM
Instead of Bread Crumbs W. Baker Diabetic 1 21-07-2008 09:09 PM
bread crumbs CaptCook General Cooking 7 25-11-2004 02:12 PM
Panko bread crumbs uses Karen O'Mara General Cooking 7 12-04-2004 05:23 AM