Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Crumbs

First off, the reason I joined this group was to get feedback about
how different people cook, their personal tips. Anyone can look
anything up on the internet so thats not a question here. I saw no
restrictions about this when signing up for the group, also, no one is
forced to read or answer questions submitted.

One response did prompt a couple of questions. When your saying fresh
breadcrumbs, your toasting white bread and then cutting or blending it
up?

Has anyone found any store bought bread crumbs they found were good? I
get the progresso but don't think their that great. I am not sure and
how critical the bread crumb factor is here.

The guy on a video I saw did purchase plain white bread, toasted it
up, and then put it in a blender.

Before I wrote this website, I did research and found a pretty good
video.

One of the things the guy also did in the video, was mix cream into
his egg batter and whipped it up first. He was from germany and said
that's how he likes that.

There was a comment on the video that claimed that cream was a really
bad idea, any thoughts on that?

I am first generation american but unfortuntely reciepies got
misplaced and not sure what might really be most common.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> One response did prompt a couple of questions. When your saying fresh
> breadcrumbs, your toasting white bread and then cutting or blending it
> up?
>
> Has anyone found any store bought bread crumbs they found were good? I
> get the progresso but don't think their that great. I am not sure and
> how critical the bread crumb factor is here.
>
> The guy on a video I saw did purchase plain white bread, toasted it
> up, and then put it in a blender.

What video? What dish was he making?

> Before I wrote this website, I did research and found a pretty good
> video.
>
> One of the things the guy also did in the video, was mix cream into
> his egg batter and whipped it up first. He was from germany and said
> that's how he likes that.
>
> There was a comment on the video that claimed that cream was a really
> bad idea, any thoughts on that?

What recipe are you talking about when you say cream and eggs? Glad
to help, but your post is kind of all over the place. ;-) In any
event, welcome to the group.

As to breadcrumbs: if it calls for fresh, I put fresh bread in my
food processor - works like magic (don't blend too long, just long
enough to get crumbs) ... then if they are supposed to be buttered, I
melt some butter and sprinkle it over the crumbs with one hand while
tossing/stirring with the other, using a big-tined salad serving fork.

If they are dried bread crumbs, I just use dried bread that otherwise
would have gone to waste - I just lay the pieces out on cooling racks
for a couple days until they are dry all the way through, and then put
them in a container until I need crumbs.

I don't know which kind toasted fresh bread would come under - haven't
ever done that.

Hope this helps.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"deutschemadchen" > wrote in message
> First off, the reason I joined this group was to get feedback about
> how different people cook, their personal tips. Anyone can look
> anything up on the internet so thats not a question here. I saw no
> restrictions about this when signing up for the group, also, no one is
> forced to read or answer questions submitted.
>
> One response did prompt a couple of questions. When your saying fresh
> breadcrumbs, your toasting white bread and then cutting or blending it
> up?

First IMHO Fresh breadcrumbs are different than toasted breadcrumbs.
Different taste & texture.

> Has anyone found any store bought bread crumbs they found were good? I
> get the progresso but don't think their that great. I am not sure and
> how critical the bread crumb factor is here.

Depends upon the recipe and use. The commercial bread crumbs are dried

> The guy on a video I saw did purchase plain white bread, toasted it
> up, and then put it in a blender.

OK I give what video?

> Before I wrote this website, I did research and found a pretty good
> video.
>
> One of the things the guy also did in the video, was mix cream into
> his egg batter and whipped it up first. He was from germany and said
> that's how he likes that.

Good for him he's adding quite a bit of fat.

> There was a comment on the video that claimed that cream was a really
> bad idea, any thoughts on that?

No thoughts it depends on the desired texture.

> I am first generation american but unfortuntely reciepies got
> misplaced and not sure what might really be most common.

????

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"deutschemadchen" wrote

> First off, the reason I joined this group was to get feedback about
> how different people cook, their personal tips. Anyone can look

Welcome! Cooking chat is why we generally are here. I even have a mostly
lurker friend who emails me now and again for breadmaker recipes. He has
the same machine I have and likes simple breads like I do. Last batch was
some cheesy-garlic types and a 100% whole wheat (added one for a desserty
rum-rasin sort as well).

> One response did prompt a couple of questions. When your saying fresh
> breadcrumbs, your toasting white bread and then cutting or blending it
> up?

For me, as I make bread all the time (2 loaves a week on average), I make my
own breadcrumbs automatically when I need'em.

> Has anyone found any store bought bread crumbs they found were good? I
> get the progresso but don't think their that great. I am not sure and
> how critical the bread crumb factor is here.

Depends. I havent bought store breadcrumbs in a very long time though I did
get pepperidge farm herb stuffing this year. Yes, I can make my own but I
like their ease and it's a comfort sort of food from as a kid.

> The guy on a video I saw did purchase plain white bread, toasted it
> up, and then put it in a blender.

Thats one way. I make a nice crusty french and an italian sort of
breadmaker bread which if I add spices to the blend, makes a really nice
cruton. I just cube then tuck it in the dehydrator for a bit. In Japan, I
used the oven on lowest setting and watched carefully for burning.

> One of the things the guy also did in the video, was mix cream into
> his egg batter and whipped it up first. He was from germany and said
> that's how he likes that.
>
> There was a comment on the video that claimed that cream was a really
> bad idea, any thoughts on that?

Spoilage reasons perhaps?

> I am first generation american but unfortuntely reciepies got
> misplaced and not sure what might really be most common.

Not to worry. We all have ancestors from someplace and few of us have all
that many authentic recipes from 'the old country' (where ever that was).

Substitute packaged bread crumbs for processed crumbs from bread [email protected] General Cooking 7 21-07-2008 10:05 PM
Instead of Bread Crumbs W. Baker Diabetic 1 21-07-2008 09:09 PM
preserving bread crumbs Julia Altshuler General Cooking 9 04-03-2006 03:08 AM
bread crumbs CaptCook General Cooking 7 25-11-2004 03:12 PM
Bread crumbs Craig Watts Preserving 3 22-08-2004 02:33 AM