Kate Kelley

Default countertops

Hi All,
We're remodeling our kitchen and thinking of doing the countertops in
Corian and granite. I like to bake and I knead dough, etc. I've been
told by someone in the business that granite is not a good surface for
this process (kneading) because little granules of flour will settle
into miniscule pockets over time. Does anyone have any
advice/recommendations about this? Also, it's a small kitchen; does
combining surfaces -- Corian and granite -- sound like an artistic
nightmare? We have a very old house with tons of charm. We "need"
the kitchen to look warm and artsy, but it also must be functional.
Help?
Peter Aitken

"Kate Kelley" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi All,
> We're remodeling our kitchen and thinking of doing the countertops in
> Corian and granite. I like to bake and I knead dough, etc. I've been
> told by someone in the business that granite is not a good surface for
> this process (kneading) because little granules of flour will settle
> into miniscule pockets over time. Does anyone have any
> advice/recommendations about this? Also, it's a small kitchen; does
> combining surfaces -- Corian and granite -- sound like an artistic
> nightmare? We have a very old house with tons of charm. We "need"
> the kitchen to look warm and artsy, but it also must be functional.
> Help?

I've used granite for kneading for years with no apparent problems. It is
sealed - unsealed might be different. We also have combined granite and
corian - granite on the island, off-white corian on the perimeter counters.
It looks really nice, we think. It's a fairly large kitchen. Be sure to see
the exact piece of granite you are buying - do not select from a catalog.

--
Peter Aitken

Kenneth

On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:30:56 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Kate Kelley" > wrote in message
om...
>> Hi All,
>> We're remodeling our kitchen and thinking of doing the countertops in
>> Corian and granite. I like to bake and I knead dough, etc. I've been
>> told by someone in the business that granite is not a good surface for
>> this process (kneading) because little granules of flour will settle
>> into miniscule pockets over time. Does anyone have any
>> advice/recommendations about this? Also, it's a small kitchen; does
>> combining surfaces -- Corian and granite -- sound like an artistic
>> nightmare? We have a very old house with tons of charm. We "need"
>> the kitchen to look warm and artsy, but it also must be functional.
>> Help?

>I've used granite for kneading for years with no apparent problems. It is
>sealed - unsealed might be different. We also have combined granite and
>corian - granite on the island, off-white corian on the perimeter counters.
>It looks really nice, we think. It's a fairly large kitchen. Be sure to see
>the exact piece of granite you are buying - do not select from a catalog.

Howdy,

What Peter said plus...

If, for any reason (and these folks are among the world's most
creative) your granite dealer will not let you see the specific pieces
that will be installed in your home. Run, (don't walk) to another
dealer.

Have fun,

--
Kenneth

In rec.food.cooking, sf > wrote:

> Have you considered soapstone?
> http://www.vermontsoapstone.com/counters.htm

Slate can also be a very attractive countertop material.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
angel

Kenneth wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2004 18:30:56 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Kate Kelley" > wrote in message
. com...

>>>Hi All,
>>>We're remodeling our kitchen and thinking of doing the countertops in
>>>Corian and granite. I like to bake and I knead dough, etc. I've been
>>>told by someone in the business that granite is not a good surface for
>>>this process (kneading) because little granules of flour will settle
>>>into miniscule pockets over time. Does anyone have any
>>>advice/recommendations about this? Also, it's a small kitchen; does
>>>combining surfaces -- Corian and granite -- sound like an artistic
>>>nightmare? We have a very old house with tons of charm. We "need"
>>>the kitchen to look warm and artsy, but it also must be functional.
>>>Help?

>>I've used granite for kneading for years with no apparent problems. It is
>>sealed - unsealed might be different. We also have combined granite and
>>corian - granite on the island, off-white corian on the perimeter counters.
>>It looks really nice, we think. It's a fairly large kitchen. Be sure to see
>>the exact piece of granite you are buying - do not select from a catalog.

> Howdy,
>
> What Peter said plus...
>
> If, for any reason (and these folks are among the world's most
> creative) your granite dealer will not let you see the specific pieces
> that will be installed in your home. Run, (don't walk) to another
> dealer.
>
> Have fun,

Not just let you see the stone, but choose the individual slabs.
I am also having my kitchen remodeled, and the granite dealer
laid out every slab of the type I wanted (a Juparana) and I
"hand-picked" the three slabs. Many granites vary from slab to
slab (slight color differences, striation patterns, etc...),
it's important that they allow you to select the exact slabs that
you want!

Good luck, and have fun!

~a