Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Granite countertops

I've finally decided on what I want and got a decent price. I sign the
order on Saturday and then have to go pick out my slab.

One glitch came up and that's because they include a sunken sink and the
ones they make now are deeper than the one I currently have. My
under-the-sink plumbing will need to be changed because the pipe coming
out of the disposal and then into the outbound waste water won't support
a deeper sink. To keep the outbound waste water pipe, water would have
to travel *up* and of course it won't do that neatly. So they have to
move the waste water pipe at the tune of $300 extra. But they will make
some plumbing improvements so I figure it's worth it, plus to have a
nice deep sink.

I picked a deep color for the granite called "peacock green" and
wouldn't have gone with dark if not for the under-cabinet lighting I had
installed. I can't wait!

Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
freezer. That will be Saturday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 7:44*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
> freezer. *That will be Saturday.

My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2012 10:55 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:
> On Apr 19, 7:44 pm, > wrote:
>> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
>> freezer. That will be Saturday.

> My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!
> ...Picky

I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it.

I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
Floors done last year and countertops this year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I picked a deep color for the granite called "peacock green" and
> wouldn't have gone with dark if not for the under-cabinet lighting I had
> installed. I can't wait!

Has it been tested for radioactivity?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...pagewanted=all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
>loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
>down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
>asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it.
>
>I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
>your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
>Floors done last year and countertops this year.

My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
loan. No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.

I don't worry about flipping my house. I put what I want and don't
care about ROI. My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
away to charity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
>>loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
>>down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
>>asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it.
>>
>>I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
>>your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
>>Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
> loan. No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.

I hear that, Ed! And I can't imagine the cost of replacing even the
(admittedly awful) carpet for hardwood, or even laminate.

> I don't worry about flipping my house. I put what I want and don't
> care about ROI. My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
> away to charity.

I figure, whoever winds up with this house will want to put their own
touches on it. Personally, I wouldn't want dark green granite countertops.
A countertop is, after all, simply a flat work space. It's the space that
is important to me, not what it's made of. I'll let the next person install
granite (or marble or butcher block, whatever is the rage). I feel the same
way about stainless steel appliances (not mentioned by the OP). I'd rather
have Rachael Ray's turquoise 1940's style refrigerator. Very retro. Fun
and funky

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 4/19/2012 10:55 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 7:44 pm, > wrote:
>>> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
>>> freezer. That will be Saturday.

>> My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!
>> ...Picky
>>

>I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
>loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
>down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
>asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it.
>
>I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
>your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
>Floors done last year and countertops this year.

Buyers also come in and say they don't like the color of the granite
and it will have to be changed. Ditto the floor. (that comes out of
the purchase bid)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 9:55*pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:

> My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!
> ...Picky

Oooooooh, you have the same size kitchen as I!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 5:06*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

> >I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
> >loan in this economy. *Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
> >down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
> >asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it. *

> >I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
> >your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
> >Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
> loan. *No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.
>
> I don't worry about flipping my house. *I put what I want and don't
> care about ROI. *My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
> away to charity.

+1.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, >
> wrote:
>

>> I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
>> loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
>> down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
>> asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it.
>>
>> I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
>> your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
>> Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
> loan. No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.
>
> I don't worry about flipping my house. I put what I want and don't
> care about ROI. My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
> away to charity.

But my house isn't paid for, and I'm not retired. In this job market I
want to be able to sell in a hurry if I have to. With so many houses
out there for sale and not moving I want mine to stand out.

I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. I just love the way it
looks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 11:07 AM, Bull wrote:

> You would be wise to pick a more neutral color. It's important to get a
> quality sink. They last the life of the house/counter and a lot of
> granite companies use the cheapest ones 'cause the customer is only
> looking at the pretty. There is a major difference in a cheap sink and
> a quality sink.

What is considered a quality sink and what does it give me over a cheap
sink?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 5:32*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 4/20/2012 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, >
> > wrote:

> >> I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
> >> loan in this economy. *Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
> >> down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
> >> asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it. *

> >> I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
> >> your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
> >> Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> > My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
> > loan. *No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.

> > I don't worry about flipping my house. *I put what I want and don't
> > care about ROI. *My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
> > away to charity.

> But my house isn't paid for, and I'm not retired. *In this job market I
> want to be able to sell in a hurry if I have to. *With so many houses
> out there for sale and not moving I want mine to stand out. *
>
> I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
> neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. *I just love the way it
> looks.

Ignore these ****s (Jill). Granite is far classier. You want it, so
get it. It does increase the value of the house. And for the person
who said that replacing it lowers the bid, guess what? Then I tell you
to **** off. You want to change the house? Buy it and pay for it
yourself. Or jam it and find another house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
> >I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
> >your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
> >Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> Buyers also come in and say they don't like the color of the granite
> and it will have to be changed. Ditto the floor. (that comes out of
> the purchase bid)
> Janet US

I totally agree. No matter how you fix up your house to sell, new buyers
will want something different. Kitchens, flooring, paint colors. Better to
not spend that money and keep your selling price that much lower.

IMO, you improve your house to suit YOU and make you happy while you live
there. You have no idea what the new owner might want to do.

Gary

PS - I deal with house turnovers often and this is true, not just me
guessing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Janet > wrote:
>
> >> Buyers also come in and say they don't like the color of the granite
> >> and it will have to be changed. Ditto the floor. (that comes out of
> >> the purchase bid)
> >> Janet US

> I've said it before, quartz is the better countertop.
>
> Go figure it out
>
> Andy

A stone countertop in kitchen would NOT be a good selling factor to me. I
have butcher block looking formica on my counters and I love it. I've turned
down free offers for new (I rent). It looks good and it's not fragile.

Also, a property next to a golf course? That brings in a higher price. Not
to me, folks. If I was interested in a house next to one, I would demand a
reduction in price. I've worked on a few and I don't like it.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> Formica or other laminate is my preferred countertop material. It is
> quiet, unlikely to break glasses or dishes dropped on it, quite durable
> and for me at least it is easy and inexpensive to replace it regularly
> for a kitchen update without a full remodel.

I'm with you, Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 6:57 PM, Gary wrote:

> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> Formica or other laminate is my preferred countertop material. It is
>> quiet, unlikely to break glasses or dishes dropped on it, quite durable
>> and for me at least it is easy and inexpensive to replace it regularly
>> for a kitchen update without a full remodel.

> I'm with you, Pete C.

Not me about the breaking dishes or glasses that land on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 12:44*pm, Chef Bruce > wrote:
> merryb > wrote :
>

> > On Apr 20, 8:07*am, Bull > wrote:

> > he

> > ve

> > ake

> >> You would be wise to pick a more neutral color. *It's important to
> >> get

> >> quality sink. *They last the life of the house/counter and a lot of
> >> granite companies use the cheapest ones 'cause the customer is only
> >> looking at the pretty. *There is a major difference in a cheap sink
> >> and a quality sink.

> >> BULL

> > No kidding- we just replaced our ugly stainless sink with a composite.
> > What a difference!

> it also makes the garbage disposer a lot quieter.

Wish we could have one here, but we are on septic. I bet you are
correct, tho!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:44:42 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom
> wrote:

>On Apr 20, 5:32*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>> On 4/20/2012 6:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
>> > loan. *No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.

>> > I don't worry about flipping my house. *I put what I want and don't
>> > care about ROI. *My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
>> > away to charity.

>> But my house isn't paid for, and I'm not retired. *In this job market I
>> want to be able to sell in a hurry if I have to. *With so many houses
>> out there for sale and not moving I want mine to stand out. *
>>
>> I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
>> neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. *I just love the way it
>> looks.

>Ignore these ****s (Jill). Granite is far classier. You want it, so
>get it. It does increase the value of the house. And for the person
>who said that replacing it lowers the bid, guess what? Then I tell you
>to **** off. You want to change the house? Buy it and pay for it
>yourself. Or jam it and find another house.

No buyer will pay a penny more for granite counters any more than
they'd pay a premium for your berber carpeting, and many people who
like granite won't like your taste in granite so will replace it the
same as they'll replace your carpeting. 99% of homes are sold
strictly by curb appeal... if your house is freshly painted, has a new
roof, and decent landscaping it will be sold before the buyer even
sees inside. You can have the costliest granite counters but if your
neighbor has an old car up on blocks in their driveway the buyer will
never see your granite counters anyway, it'll be a drive-by. If
anyone is planning to spruce up a house for an easier sale granite
kitchen counters is the last thing to invest in... a few hundred
dollars in landscaping will go a whole lot further than many thousands
of dollars spent on granite counters. There are only four things that
sell a house; location, location, location, and curb appeal... you
can't change location. Before wasting money on granite kitchen
counters I'd put those dollars into a new deck/patio, expanded living
space is always more desirable than fercocktah furniture... make no
mistake about it, kitchen counters are furniture. Granite kitchen
counters have the value of a boob job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 7:58 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:44:42 -0700 (PDT), BillyZoom
> > wrote:

>>> But my house isn't paid for, and I'm not retired. In this job market I
>>> want to be able to sell in a hurry if I have to. With so many houses
>>> out there for sale and not moving I want mine to stand out.
>>>
>>> I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
>>> neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. I just love the way it
>>> looks.

>> Ignore these ****s (Jill). Granite is far classier. You want it, so
>> get it. It does increase the value of the house. And for the person
>> who said that replacing it lowers the bid, guess what? Then I tell you
>> to **** off. You want to change the house? Buy it and pay for it
>> yourself. Or jam it and find another house.

> No buyer will pay a penny more for granite counters any more than
> they'd pay a premium for your berber carpeting, and many people who
> like granite won't like your taste in granite so will replace it the
> same as they'll replace your carpeting. 99% of homes are sold
> strictly by curb appeal... if your house is freshly painted, has a new
> roof, and decent landscaping it will be sold before the buyer even
> sees inside. You can have the costliest granite counters but if your
> neighbor has an old car up on blocks in their driveway the buyer will
> never see your granite counters anyway, it'll be a drive-by. If
> anyone is planning to spruce up a house for an easier sale granite
> kitchen counters is the last thing to invest in... a few hundred
> dollars in landscaping will go a whole lot further than many thousands
> of dollars spent on granite counters. There are only four things that
> sell a house; location, location, location, and curb appeal... you
> can't change location. Before wasting money on granite kitchen
> counters I'd put those dollars into a new deck/patio, expanded living
> space is always more desirable than fercocktah furniture... make no
> mistake about it, kitchen counters are furniture. Granite kitchen
> counters have the value of a boob job.

I've already done the curb appeal thing. Resurfaced the driveway, new
fence, taken down dead and ugly trees/shrubs. Can't do anything about
my neighbors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:55:35 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 7:44*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> > Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
> > freezer. *That will be Saturday.

> My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!

My kitchen is bigger than one-butt and they make a French door model
that's only 30 inches wide now, but I can't have one because my
refrigerator is set back and the door wouldn't be able to fully open
on one side.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:14:28 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I hear that, Ed! And I can't imagine the cost of replacing even the
> (admittedly awful) carpet for hardwood, or even laminate.

Granite counters that come by the piece with prefabricated edges are
the most reasonably priced. You can find them as low as $150 each for
an 8 ft long piece. I'm fine with the choices because the granite
pattern isn't "strong", which makes the seams easier to hide. When
you go that route, the granite itself isn't expensive and the cost of
installation isn't bad either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:36:33 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 5:06*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:21:39 -0400, Cheryl >
> > wrote:
> >

> > >I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
> > >loan in this economy. *Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me
> > >down saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I
> > >asked for), but I'm taking advantage of it. *

> > >I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
> > >your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
> > >Floors done last year and countertops this year.

> > My banker called a couple of week ago asking if I wanted a home equity
> > loan. *No way, its paid for and I'm not adding debt to it.
> >
> > I don't worry about flipping my house. *I put what I want and don't
> > care about ROI. *My heirs will be the ones selling it unless I give it
> > away to charity.

> +1.

Yeah, we're here to stay too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:43:07 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> And I'm sure not going
> to pay for someone elses' "upgrades" when I buy a house.

That's the way I feel about it too. My house/kitchen is the way I
want it, not the way someone else might want it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 5:57*pm, Gary > wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>
> > Formica or other laminate is my preferred countertop material. It is
> > quiet, unlikely to break glasses or dishes dropped on it, quite durable
> > and for me at least it is easy and inexpensive to replace it regularly
> > for a kitchen update without a full remodel.

> I'm with you, Pete C.

I love my granite countertops. They're pretty. I also love my marble
tile floor in my bathroom. It's not merely pretty, it's beautiful.
http://www.natural-stone-interiors.c...een-marble.jpg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2012 10:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> I've finally decided on what I want and got a decent price. I sign the
> order on Saturday and then have to go pick out my slab.

Congratulations, I'm kind of jealous. I just got granite top
with my new bathroom vanity and I really love the look and feel of it.

Will they seal the countertops for you? It would be nice and
it would be done before the faucet is installed.

> One glitch came up and that's because they include a sunken sink and the
> ones they make now are deeper than the one I currently have. My
> under-the-sink plumbing will need to be changed because the pipe coming
> out of the disposal and then into the outbound waste water won't support
> a deeper sink. To keep the outbound waste water pipe, water would have
> to travel *up* and of course it won't do that neatly. So they have to
> move the waste water pipe at the tune of $300 extra. But they will make
> some plumbing improvements so I figure it's worth it, plus to have a
> nice deep sink.

It's worth it to get the plumbing fixed the way it should be.

> I picked a deep color for the granite called "peacock green" and
> wouldn't have gone with dark if not for the under-cabinet lighting I had
> installed. I can't wait!
>
> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
> freezer. That will be Saturday.

Glad you're having fun with it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 8:52 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:43:07 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> And I'm sure not going
>> to pay for someone elses' "upgrades" when I buy a house.

> That's the way I feel about it too. My house/kitchen is the way I
> want it, not the way someone else might want it.

I'm not doing it for someone else, I'm doing it for me; the plus was
that people apparently look for some of these features when they buy.

Sheesh everyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 9:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/19/2012 10:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I've finally decided on what I want and got a decent price. I sign the
>> order on Saturday and then have to go pick out my slab.

> Congratulations, I'm kind of jealous. I just got granite top
> with my new bathroom vanity and I really love the look and feel of it.
>
> Will they seal the countertops for you? It would be nice and
> it would be done before the faucet is installed.
>
>> One glitch came up and that's because they include a sunken sink and the
>> ones they make now are deeper than the one I currently have. My
>> under-the-sink plumbing will need to be changed because the pipe coming
>> out of the disposal and then into the outbound waste water won't support
>> a deeper sink. To keep the outbound waste water pipe, water would have
>> to travel *up* and of course it won't do that neatly. So they have to
>> move the waste water pipe at the tune of $300 extra. But they will make
>> some plumbing improvements so I figure it's worth it, plus to have a
>> nice deep sink.

> It's worth it to get the plumbing fixed the way it should be.
>
>> I picked a deep color for the granite called "peacock green" and
>> wouldn't have gone with dark if not for the under-cabinet lighting I had
>> installed. I can't wait!
>>
>> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
>> freezer. That will be Saturday.

> Glad you're having fun with it.
>
> nancy

I really am, Nancy. I'm spending a ton of money right now while I can.
You only live once and I'm a homebody so I want things the way I want
them to be. Granite, wood floors, leather furniture, the works. It
calms me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Sounds beautiful, I'm envious. Green is one of those words people react
to-I think they associate it with catholic school girl uniform lol. I am
sure your counter wont look like a putting green-not that kind of green,
right?

I am not partial to ss-I have ss sink, mom has ss sink, and I remember
our old porcelain sink growing up-white-loved that sink.

Appliances-I like black. A friend had a black textured vinyl surface on
her fridge and I loved it. Nothing showed and washed with wet sponge it
gleamed.

Problem with new anything is that it makes the surroundings look old. So
the cupboards wont look as good the backsplash wont look as good etc.
Buy some new canisters, hot pads, or something to draw the eye to a
smart colorful focal point. Your eye will see the new counter against
the new focal point and not notice the same old same old.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:32:52 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
>neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. I just love the way it
>looks.

Like Mrs. Smith?

A man wakes up from a coma in the hospital, totally encased in casts
and bandages and stuck with tubes and medical whatnot. A few minutes
later the nurse sees that he's awake, and calls the doctor.

The doctor tells him "Mr. Smith, you were in a horrible car wreck, you
were injured very badly. But you're going to be OK." The next day,
the doctor returns with the bad news. "Mr. Smith, there is some bad
news. You'll be OK, but we couldn't restore your penis, it was too
badly mangled".

"BUT", the doctor continued, "at this hospital we've developed a
bionic penis. It's really quite good, we've implanted dozens, and all
have performed well. Every recipient and their wives say it's better
than the real one. Your insurance company has already cut the check
for $20K. All you have to do is decide how big you want to go."

Mr. Smith says "I'll have to discuss this with my SWMBO. She's picky
about these things".

The next day the doctor returns and finds Mrs. Smith with her hubby.
"Have you decided? What's it going to be?"

Mr. Smith says, despondently.... "Yeah, we've decided....."

The doctor says, "well, what's it going to be"?

Mrs. Smith replies "GRANITE COUNTERTOPS".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:45:51 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>I totally agree. No matter how you fix up your house to sell, new buyers
>will want something different. Kitchens, flooring, paint colors. Better to
>not spend that money and keep your selling price that much lower.
>
>IMO, you improve your house to suit YOU and make you happy while you live
>there. You have no idea what the new owner might want to do.
>
>Gary
>
>PS - I deal with house turnovers often and this is true, not just me
>guessing.

Watch an episode of Million Dollar Listings on Bravo network. Some
people insist on granite, certain colors, etc.
Then there was the couple that wanted $1.5 million in remodel and got
it on the place they paid $16 million for. All cash!.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 10:22*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:32:52 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

> >I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
> >neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. *I just love the way it
> >looks.

> Like Mrs. Smith?
>
> A man wakes up from a coma in the hospital, totally encased in casts
> and bandages and stuck with tubes and medical whatnot. *A few minutes
> later the nurse sees that he's awake, and calls the doctor.
>
> The doctor tells him "Mr. Smith, you were in a horrible car wreck, you
> were injured very badly. *But you're going to be OK." *The next day,
> the doctor returns with the bad news. *"Mr. Smith, there is some bad
> news. *You'll be OK, but we couldn't restore your penis, it was too
> badly mangled".
>
> "BUT", the doctor continued, "at this hospital we've developed a
> bionic penis. *It's really quite good, we've implanted dozens, and all
> have performed well. *Every recipient and their wives say it's better
> than the real one. *Your insurance company has already cut the check
> for $20K. *All you have to do is decide how big you want to go."
>
> Mr. Smith says "I'll have to discuss this with my SWMBO. *She's picky
> about these things".
>
> The next day the doctor returns and finds Mrs. Smith with her hubby.
> "Have you decided? *What's it going to be?"
>
> Mr. Smith says, despondently.... *"Yeah, we've decided....."
>
> The doctor says, "well, what's it going to be"?
>
> Mrs. Smith replies "GRANITE COUNTERTOPS".

Your hypothetical Mr. Smith was obviously in a disfunctional marriage
before his accident. As much as I love my wife, if she were like Mrs.
Smith, our marriage would be over. I'm sure she'd feel the same way.
There is at least one thing more compelling than food.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/20/2012 6:57 PM, Gary wrote:
>
>> "Pete C." wrote:
>>>
>>> Formica or other laminate is my preferred countertop material. It is
>>> quiet, unlikely to break glasses or dishes dropped on it, quite durable
>>> and for me at least it is easy and inexpensive to replace it regularly
>>> for a kitchen update without a full remodel.

>> I'm with you, Pete C.

> Not me about the breaking dishes or glasses that land on it.

Well, I have found one has to be VERY careful when putting things
down on a granite counter (and I never was one to treat things
roughly). In addition, I suspect one could crack Pyrex etc. if
one puts a hot thing directly on the cold granite. I also see
tiny cracks and microscopic chips in it, and I think I am probably
as careful as it is humanly possible to be.

I love the look of my granite counters, but I would not get them
again.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 21:38:45 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 4/20/2012 8:52 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:43:07 -0400, >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> And I'm sure not going
> >> to pay for someone elses' "upgrades" when I buy a house.

> > That's the way I feel about it too. My house/kitchen is the way I
> > want it, not the way someone else might want it.
> >

> I'm not doing it for someone else, I'm doing it for me; the plus was
> that people apparently look for some of these features when they buy.
>
> Sheesh everyone.

I wasn't dissing what you're doing, Cheryl. I have wood floors and
granite countertops in my kitchen - and I like it that way!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2012 9:21 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/19/2012 10:55 PM, JeanineAlyse wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 7:44 pm, > wrote:
>>> Also getting a new fridge/freezer with french doors and a bottom
>>> freezer. That will be Saturday.

>> My one-butt kitchen can only dream of such, congratulations!
>> ...Picky
>>

> I am probably one of the very few who could somehow get a home equity
> loan in this economy. Not sure how I managed it (one bank turned me down
> saying the value of my house couldn't support a loan of what I asked
> for), but I'm taking advantage of it.
>
> I heard today that two things that people look for when you want to flip
> your house is hardwood floors (check) and granite countertops (check).
> Floors done last year and countertops this year.

Consider the source. Where did you hear it from? My experience is that
this kind of information comes primarily from people who sell hardwood
floors and granite countertops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:32:52 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

> >I will take under advisement some of the comments about going more
> >neutral, but I'm definitely going with granite. I just love the way it
> >looks.

> Like Mrs. Smith?
>
> A man wakes up from a coma in the hospital, totally encased in casts
> and bandages and stuck with tubes and medical whatnot. A few minutes
> later the nurse sees that he's awake, and calls the doctor.
>
> The doctor tells him "Mr. Smith, you were in a horrible car wreck, you
> were injured very badly. But you're going to be OK." The next day,
> the doctor returns with the bad news. "Mr. Smith, there is some bad
> news. You'll be OK, but we couldn't restore your penis, it was too
> badly mangled".
>
> "BUT", the doctor continued, "at this hospital we've developed a
> bionic penis. It's really quite good, we've implanted dozens, and all
> have performed well. Every recipient and their wives say it's better
> than the real one. Your insurance company has already cut the check
> for $20K. All you have to do is decide how big you want to go."
>
> Mr. Smith says "I'll have to discuss this with my SWMBO. She's picky
> about these things".
>
> The next day the doctor returns and finds Mrs. Smith with her hubby.
> "Have you decided? What's it going to be?"
>
> Mr. Smith says, despondently.... "Yeah, we've decided....."
>
> The doctor says, "well, what's it going to be"?
>
> Mrs. Smith replies "GRANITE COUNTERTOPS".

LOL.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2012 11:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Watch an episode of Million Dollar Listings on Bravo network. Some
> people insist on granite, certain colors, etc.
> Then there was the couple that wanted $1.5 million in remodel and got
> it on the place they paid $16 million for. All cash!.

Love that show. Amazing what you see, and real estate shows
bring out just how nutty people really are when shopping for
or selling a house.

And if you're talking about the couple I'm thinking of, I
just wonder where on earth they get all that money. When they
looked at this unfinished enormous penthouse, they didn't
blink as the price, just asked how much it would cost to buy the floor
below as well.

nancy