Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sloping countertops?

One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic
Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic
countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional
countertop that will drain into the sink?

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set
something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

I looked to see if Elkay still made 'my' sink. Mine's about 10 years old,
still beautiful and the drainboards on both sides are such a joy. Having a
place to safely set wet drippy things whether rinsing a turkey or watering
the few houseplants I haven't killed or whatever makes life easier. Since
the drainboards slope, it's not even a big deal if Mr. Esther decides to
refill the sugar bowl. Just a swipe into the sink and all the spills go
away. Mine's a flat mount but this one will give you the general idea. Polly
http://www.elkayusa.com/cps/rde/xchg...-res-9307.aspx

Old 06-08-2013, 04:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop
(your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a
fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way
to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
happen? The only puddles I usually get are on my cutting and drain
boards (under the dish rack). And both of those drain into the sink
(albeit manually when I lift them up and tip them to wash them).

It would bug the shit out of me if every time I set a tomato, orange,
or carrot on the counter, that it rolls away or otherwise into a
position other than where I strategically set it.

The countertop material and how clean it is would determine how
much/little of a slope is needed for it to drain properly. Laminate
countertops, for example, are usually a slight matte finish. It would
take a somewhat drastic slope for them to drain puddles off to the
side.

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like
to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed
thing is wet.

I've only ever seen these at Walmart. And those are pretty drastic.

Our Walmart doesn't have a counter. It's a trough style sink. But I have
seen the wet puddles at lots of other places, including the movie theater.
And every time I see that I wonder how it gets like that!? My bathroom
counter never has puddles.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
happen?

Is that what ya do when yer Mayo-filled needle dick leaks?

Old 06-08-2013, 11:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 22:22:02 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
happen? The only puddles I usually get are on my cutting and drain
boards (under the dish rack). And both of those drain into the sink
(albeit manually when I lift them up and tip them to wash them).

It would bug the shit out of me if every time I set a tomato, orange,
or carrot on the counter, that it rolls away or otherwise into a
position other than where I strategically set it.

The countertop material and how clean it is would determine how
much/little of a slope is needed for it to drain properly. Laminate
countertops, for example, are usually a slight matte finish. It would
take a somewhat drastic slope for them to drain puddles off to the
side.

The sinks with drainboards are not quite like that. Very little slop
so things don't roll around Unlike a regular counter, the front and
back have a lip to prevent spills from getting all over the place and
on the floor.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica).
A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard.
Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down
on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Did you ever consider that perhaps your wife treats the kitchen like a
public lavatory... it's not difficult to wipe up spills... and just
maybe she needs to work neater and not do so much spilling.

My first house had a very heavy commercial stainless steel sink with
integrel slopping drain boards extending 4' on each side of the double
sink... was all one piece, no seams... but still wet spots needed to
be wiped up, only major spills ran into the sink. I really hated that
sink because the drainboard portions were corrogated and made for a
lousey countertop work surface, looked more like it belonged in an
autopsy lab than in a residential kitchen. It was a small house and
those drainboards were the only countertops in the kitchen. I suppose
I could have redone the entire kitchen but never got around to it and
the cabinets were very nice custom wooden retro, I lived with it for
fourteen years. People who visited loved that sink but I hated it.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2013 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Is there a sink that is totally
recessed?

Yes, under mount sinks.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A slight bump at the front of a counter is called "bull nose" ... Any sink material (I think) can be shaped like that.

And for Julie ... Of course, there are under mount sinks available everywhere...they are more expensive than sinks that mount in traditional ways.

N.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
their bathroom
a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently has
exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom. What a
useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for company" sinks
that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are dirty because the
dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there while the water sort of
flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have one
in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible to stand
a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling over. Another
one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/08/2013 11:11 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

"Dave Smith" On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
their bathroom
a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently
has exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom.
What a useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for
company" sinks that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are
dirty because the dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there
while the water sort of flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have
one in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible
to stand a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling
over. Another one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

I can see that. This one was a bathroom sink. If there is any
significant amount of dirt it just sits there while the water drains
past it, not enough slope to take the dirt with it. Kitchen sinks are
generally sloped just enough to allow the dirt to flow with the water,
but flat enough to stand things up in.

Granite countertops Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 96 24-04-2012 01:31 AM
Granite countertops Apexstone General Cooking 4 27-06-2008 10:26 PM
soapstone countertops? Sheldon General Cooking 0 14-12-2007 07:36 PM
Sloping bread Vox Humana Baking 1 22-05-2005 03:52 PM
countertops Kate Kelley General Cooking 7 23-05-2004 12:57 PM