stark

Default Tiny Top Blade Steaks

Got onto top blade or flatiron steaks couple of years ago, but
couldn't find them at super markets until recently. Had some cut at a
meat market, but the steaks were tiny, maybe four inches or so.

Now the super markets are packaging them, probably because of the high
prices of better steaks, but the top blades are still small.

Are the cows getting smaller or is it the meat packers' cuts that have
reduced the size of top blade steaks? Can't be all fat they're cutting
away.
PENMART01

>stark writes:
>
>Got onto top blade or flatiron steaks couple of years ago, but
>couldn't find them at super markets until recently. Had some cut at a
>meat market, but the steaks were tiny, maybe four inches or so.
>
>Now the super markets are packaging them, probably because of the high
>prices of better steaks, but the top blades are still small.
>
>Are the cows getting smaller or is it the meat packers' cuts that have
>reduced the size of top blade steaks?

Top blade (chuck) is not a very large steak... usually cut 3/4" thick and weigh
no more than 6oz... in many markets they're put through the tenderizer and sold
as cube steak.

http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNot...lade_Steak.htm

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
stark

In article >, PENMART01
> wrote:

> http://www.mycustompak.com/healthNot...lade_Steak.htm

Thanks for the pic. It looks like what the markets are selling is about
3/4 of the full top blade, measured from the pointed end. I'm not
seeing the slight extra thickness of the blunt end nor the dot of
gristle on the steaks I'm buying. Actually there is no blunt end to
these cuts--they're rounding off the make the ends match. If true I
wonder where that portion of meat is going--obviously onto another cut
and not onto the floor.
Emil Luca

Stew Meat.