Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - Another tiny cat

We got a call from the Humane Society today. They had another tiny cat
needing fostering.

This one is a little girl. We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.

This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in
feeding. I hate using the dropper.

She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to
have to wake her.

Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? Would appreciate it.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 4, 8:05*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> We got a call from the Humane Society today. *They had another tiny cat
> needing fostering.
>
> This one is a little girl. *We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
> Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.
>
> This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
> with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
> Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
> kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
> her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in
> feeding. *I hate using the dropper.
>
> She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to
> have to wake her.
>
> Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? *Would appreciate it.

No advice, just wishing you lots of luck and I guess you'd better get
the dropper ready.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> We got a call from the Humane Society today. They had another tiny cat needing fostering.
>
> This one is a little girl. We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
> Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.
>
> This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
> with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
> Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
> kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
> her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in feeding.
> I hate using the dropper.
>
> She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to have to wake her.
>
> Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? Would appreciate it.

Something like a natural source of food.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:05:54 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> We got a call from the Humane Society today. They had another tiny cat
> needing fostering.
>
> This one is a little girl. We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
> Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.
>
> This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
> with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
> Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
> kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
> her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in
> feeding. I hate using the dropper.
>
> She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to
> have to wake her.
>
> Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? Would appreciate it.

Good luck, Janet! If anyone is up to that challenge... it's you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote:

>She does relax when I hold her by the nape, like a momma cat would. A vet
>taught me that trick with fosterling number 1.
>
>She fought me, but I got about a tablespoon into her. Got a nice clear pee
>from her, too. She has to be wiped to eliminate.
>
>Just wish I could get her to nurse.

So good of you to be doing that. I really admire you and wish you the best
of luck!
--
bill_n

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 20:05:54 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>We got a call from the Humane Society today. They had another tiny cat
>needing fostering.
>
>This one is a little girl. We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
>Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.
>
>This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
>with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
>Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
>kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
>her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in
>feeding. I hate using the dropper.
>
>She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to
>have to wake her.
>
>Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? Would appreciate it.

She sounds like a really difficult one and I can't think of any
practical solutions other than what you've already done, but I wish
you and Arba all the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
Try twisting a clean cloth into a tiny peak, dip that into some kitten
replacement milk or your "kitten swill," and then gently touch that to the
kitten's mouth. That might encourage her to drink. Be sure the milk is
warm (but not hot).

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> We got a call from the Humane Society today. They had another tiny cat
> needing fostering.
>
> This one is a little girl. We named her Arba, which is the number 4 in
> Hebrew since she's our fourth fosterling.
>
> This little one weighs in at 8.7 oz. and will not nurse. I have fed her
> with a dropper to get some nourishment into her. She is a challenge.
> Hates being held only wants to be left alone. I have put her paw into
> kitten milk, made her some of my famous Mamma Janet's kitten swill, wet
> her nose, etc. I can't think of any other way to interest her in
> feeding. I hate using the dropper.
>
> She's sleeping now, but it's two hours since I fed her so I'm going to
> have to wake her.
>
> Anyone with any advice on uncooperative tiny kittens? Would appreciate it.

No suggestions, alas. But it is wonderful that you do this,
Janet. I hope this difficult little one survives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> She has started taking formula from a medicine dropper. I have to put it
> in the side of her mouth and then she will slurp and swallow.

A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
and won't eat on their own.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Janet Wilder wrote:

> She has started taking formula from a medicine dropper. I have to put it
> in the side of her mouth and then she will slurp and swallow.

A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
and won't eat on their own.

Gary

~~~~~~~~
Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> She has started taking formula from a medicine dropper. I have to put it
>> in the side of her mouth and then she will slurp and swallow.

>A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
>thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
>and won't eat on their own.
>
>Gary
>
>~~~~~~~~
>Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
>follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>
>MaryL

Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:49:44 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
.. .

>On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:
>

>>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>>Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> She has started taking formula from a medicine dropper. I have to put it
>>> in the side of her mouth and then she will slurp and swallow.

>>A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>>food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
>>thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
>>and won't eat on their own.
>>
>>Gary
>>
>>~~~~~~~~
>>Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
>>follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>>
>>MaryL

>Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.
>
>~~~~~~~~~~
>That's what I usually would suggest, but I think the OP said in her first
>message that this little one will not nurse. That can be quite a problem,
>and kittens are very delicate at that age.
>
>MaryL

They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
>> > wrote:

>>> A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>>> food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just
>>> thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are
>>> sick
>>> and won't eat on their own.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>> Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I
>>> could
>>> follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>> kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>> a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>> syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.

> That's what I said, something natural.

But if the animal won't suck you have to get the stuff in there somehow.

My roommate had a very sick cat. While we were awaiting test results, I was
giving her vitamins with a dropper. I would wrap her in an old blanket and
she would sit in my lap, lapping eagerly at the vitamins. Sadly that was
all she would eat and she had to be put down a few days later due to feline
leukemia.

But then what my cat Maui needed liquid meds, she refused to take them in
the eye dropper. However she lapped them right up when I put them in a
spoon. I think the reason for this is that I fed her from a spoon when I
first got her. The vet surmised that she was probably 8 weeks old and not
10 weeks like I was told. She didn't quite seem to know how to eat from a
bowl. So I would put some moist kitten food, thinned a bit with kitten milk
replacer into the spoon and she would lap it up. From then on, she just
loved eating from a spoon.

My current cats? They won't eat from a spoon. I haven't tried a dropper
with them. No need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:49:44 -0600, "MaryL"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>>>A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>>>food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
>>>thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are
>>>sick
>>>and won't eat on their own.
>>>
>>>Gary
>>>
>>>~~~~~~~~
>>>Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
>>>follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>>>
>>>MaryL

>>Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>>kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>>a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>>syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.
>>
>>~~~~~~~~~~
>>That's what I usually would suggest, but I think the OP said in her first
>>message that this little one will not nurse. That can be quite a problem,
>>and kittens are very delicate at that age.
>>
>>MaryL

> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

Generally no but the idea is to inject it into their mouth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:09:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>news
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:49:44 -0600, "MaryL"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

>>>Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>>>kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>>>a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>>>syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.
>>>
>>>~~~~~~~~~~
>>>That's what I usually would suggest, but I think the OP said in her first
>>>message that this little one will not nurse. That can be quite a problem,
>>>and kittens are very delicate at that age.
>>>
>>>MaryL

>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

>Generally no but the idea is to inject it into their mouth.

Inject... WRONG... a great way for the liquid to go down into the
bronchials and give the poor thing pneumonia. I've bottle fed four of
the cats I have now, two from three days old, two from three hours
old, and I've bettle fed several kittens and puppies previously. A
healthy kitten will nurse from a bottle almost immedietely if not
sooner... there are ways to urge them to nurse (the same way the
mother cat does) but it's much easier for someone to demonstrate than
to explain. If the kitten is not healthy then bring it to a Vet. If
you don't know how to nurse a kitten with a bottle ask a Vet, or Vet
Asst... most anyone with any authority at a legitimate animal shelter
certainly would have demonstrated before releasing a kitten that needs
to be nursed, and have the person actually bottle feed the kitten in
their presence to be sure they are successful, in fact they would have
given the person a couple of bottles with nipples (and shown the
proper hole size) and a can of kitten formula as a starter kit, and no
way would they ever mention eye droppers and definitely not
syringes... this entire story reeks of BS.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Inject... WRONG... a great way for the liquid to go down into the
> bronchials and give the poor thing pneumonia. I've bottle fed four of
> the cats I have now, two from three days old, two from three hours
> old, and I've bettle fed several kittens and puppies previously. A
> healthy kitten will nurse from a bottle almost immedietely if not
> sooner... there are ways to urge them to nurse (the same way the
> mother cat does) but it's much easier for someone to demonstrate than
> to explain. If the kitten is not healthy then bring it to a Vet. If
> you don't know how to nurse a kitten with a bottle ask a Vet, or Vet
> Asst... most anyone with any authority at a legitimate animal shelter
> certainly would have demonstrated before releasing a kitten that needs
> to be nursed, and have the person actually bottle feed the kitten in
> their presence to be sure they are successful, in fact they would have
> given the person a couple of bottles with nipples (and shown the
> proper hole size) and a can of kitten formula as a starter kit, and no
> way would they ever mention eye droppers and definitely not
> syringes... this entire story reeks of BS.

You can't always be 100% correct, Sheldon.
http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-one?hp_id=491
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 05:45:51 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>> Inject... WRONG... a great way for the liquid to go down into the
>> bronchials and give the poor thing pneumonia. I've bottle fed four of
>> the cats I have now, two from three days old, two from three hours
>> old, and I've bettle fed several kittens and puppies previously. A
>> healthy kitten will nurse from a bottle almost immedietely if not
>> sooner... there are ways to urge them to nurse (the same way the
>> mother cat does) but it's much easier for someone to demonstrate than
>> to explain. If the kitten is not healthy then bring it to a Vet. If
>> you don't know how to nurse a kitten with a bottle ask a Vet, or Vet
>> Asst... most anyone with any authority at a legitimate animal shelter
>> certainly would have demonstrated before releasing a kitten that needs
>> to be nursed, and have the person actually bottle feed the kitten in
>> their presence to be sure they are successful, in fact they would have
>> given the person a couple of bottles with nipples (and shown the
>> proper hole size) and a can of kitten formula as a starter kit, and no
>> way would they ever mention eye droppers and definitely not
>> syringes... this entire story reeks of BS.

>You can't always be 100% correct, Sheldon.
>http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-one?hp_id=491

That's about a sick cat (not a nursing kitten), and I clearly
indicated to contact a Vet for a sick animal... one day you may learn
how to read for comprehension rather than to satisfy your snotty ego
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:09:07 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, Brooklyn1
>says...
>
>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

> That's the whole point and reason for using a syringe; when the
>animal refuses or is unable to drink or suck, you can (painlessly) slip
>the tip of the syringe into the corner of their mouth and squirt liquid
>straight in, well to the back of the tongue, triggering the swallow
>reflex.

That may be indicated for an older kitten or an adult cat but not for
a nursing kitten. If a nursing kitten won't take food from a bottle
that indicates that something is wrong with the kitten, bring it to a
Vet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 4:36 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 11:09:07 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >, Brooklyn1
>> says...
>>
>>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

>> That's the whole point and reason for using a syringe; when the
>> animal refuses or is unable to drink or suck, you can (painlessly) slip
>> the tip of the syringe into the corner of their mouth and squirt liquid
>> straight in, well to the back of the tongue, triggering the swallow
>> reflex.

> That may be indicated for an older kitten or an adult cat but not for
> a nursing kitten. If a nursing kitten won't take food from a bottle
> that indicates that something is wrong with the kitten, bring it to a
> Vet.

The kitten was given to the OP to *foster* by the Humane Society. I'm
pretty sure they have vets. They just don't have room for all these
kittens, probably from strays. And foster parents are "vetted". They
try not to just give animals that need fostering to whatever Joe walks
in the door. I gather Janet has fostered animals before.

It's a tiny kitten that won't nurse. She's trying to make sure it
survives. If it takes an eye dropper, a syringe or the corner of a
towel... the point is to feed the kitten. Nursing behaviour or not.
(Cats do grow out of that behaviour eventually, you know, even if men
don't.)

Kudos are in order for her doing her best to get food into the kitten
every couple of hours, making sure he/she pees regularly. She's
obviously hovering over the little one like a mother cat. I've done the
same when treating sick birds.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 05:45:51 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> >You can't always be 100% correct, Sheldon.
> >http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-one?hp_id=491

> That's about a sick cat (not a nursing kitten), and I clearly
> indicated to contact a Vet for a sick animal... one day you may learn
> how to read for comprehension rather than to satisfy your snotty ego

My snotty ego? heheh Resorting to name calling shows you backed into a
corner.

Try reading the entire article and you'll see it's also about nursing a
kitten. You'll also see that sometimes it's necessary.

My vet did recommend the syringe as did MaryL's vet. Your way is a good
natural way if it works but it doesn't always. Force feeding is sometimes
necessary if you want your pet to live past a temporary problem. I hope your
beloved cats never need this.

And you don't force a stream down the animals throat like you envision. You
place the syringe in the corner of it's mouth and let the food dribble out a
little at a time.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Kudos are in order for her doing her best to get food into the kitten
> every couple of hours, making sure he/she pees regularly. She's
> obviously hovering over the little one like a mother cat. I've done the
> same when treating sick birds.

I hope the little one is doing much better now.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2012 7:29 PM, gregz wrote:
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
>> > wrote:

>>> A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>>> food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
>>> thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
>>> and won't eat on their own.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>> Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
>>> follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>> kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>> a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>> syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.

> That's what I said, something natural.
>
> Greg

Even if I would try breastfeeding her (ouch!), she'd starve. :-))

She is now using a special kitten bottle but even after trying several
nipples, she is a challenge to feed. I can get the minimum requirements
into her, but it's a fight.

She is gaining weight. She hates being held. She is difficult to feed
and difficult to get to eliminate. This is my 4th foster kitten and the
others were not nearly as hard. I am doing my best. We need to pray for
her.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2012 9:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:49:44 -0600, "MaryL"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Brooklyn1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:14:14 -0600, "MaryL"
>> > wrote:

>>> A plastic syringe is great for hand feeding small animals. It holds more
>>> food than a medicine dropper and is also easy to control the flow. Just a
>>> thought for you. I've used them for hand feeding ferrets when they are sick
>>> and won't eat on their own.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~
>>> Good suggestion! My vet gave me several syringes (no needles) so I could
>>> follow a pill with some water when my cat needed to be medicated.
>>>
>>> MaryL

>> Any pet shop sells tiny nursing bottles with nipples for feeding baby
>> kittens and puppies... I have several, they work very well, never had
>> a kitten that wouldn't nurse from a bottle... a medicine dropper or a
>> syringe is just not normal and the animal knows the difference.
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~
>> That's what I usually would suggest, but I think the OP said in her first
>> message that this little one will not nurse. That can be quite a problem,
>> and kittens are very delicate at that age.
>>
>> MaryL

> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

She would not nurse from the kitten bottles. The medicine dropper was
the ONLY thing she would nurse from for a while. She is now nursing from
the kitten bottle, but not well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/6/2012 11:40 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:09:30 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 20:49:44 -0600, "MaryL"

>>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

>> Generally no but the idea is to inject it into their mouth.

> Inject... WRONG... a great way for the liquid to go down into the
> bronchials and give the poor thing pneumonia. I've bottle fed four of
> the cats I have now, two from three days old, two from three hours
> old, and I've bettle fed several kittens and puppies previously. A
> healthy kitten will nurse from a bottle almost immedietely if not
> sooner... there are ways to urge them to nurse (the same way the
> mother cat does) but it's much easier for someone to demonstrate than
> to explain. If the kitten is not healthy then bring it to a Vet. If
> you don't know how to nurse a kitten with a bottle ask a Vet, or Vet
> Asst... most anyone with any authority at a legitimate animal shelter
> certainly would have demonstrated before releasing a kitten that needs
> to be nursed, and have the person actually bottle feed the kitten in
> their presence to be sure they are successful, in fact they would have
> given the person a couple of bottles with nipples (and shown the
> proper hole size) and a can of kitten formula as a starter kit, and no
> way would they ever mention eye droppers and definitely not
> syringes... this entire story reeks of BS.

You must have been absent when I said she would not nurse from the
bottle so I had to use the medicine dropper to get nutrition into her.

This is not my first foster tiny cat. It's my fourth in slightly over a
year. The other three went on to be adopted by great homes. I'm trying
really hard to keep this little creature alive. If you can't give me
any positive suggestions, then STFU please, Sheldon. I am certainly not
in the mood for your crap.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 5:09 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, Brooklyn1
> says...
>
>> They are not going to nurse from an eye dropper or a syringe.

> That's the whole point and reason for using a syringe; when the
> animal refuses or is unable to drink or suck, you can (painlessly) slip
> the tip of the syringe into the corner of their mouth and squirt liquid
> straight in, well to the back of the tongue, triggering the swallow
> reflex.
>

> Janet UK

Thank you, Janet. Sheldon is being his idiot self again.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 4:01 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> The kitten was given to the OP to *foster* by the Humane Society. I'm
> pretty sure they have vets. They just don't have room for all these
> kittens, probably from strays. And foster parents are "vetted". They
> try not to just give animals that need fostering to whatever Joe walks
> in the door. I gather Janet has fostered animals before.
>
> It's a tiny kitten that won't nurse. She's trying to make sure it
> survives. If it takes an eye dropper, a syringe or the corner of a
> towel... the point is to feed the kitten. Nursing behaviour or not.
> (Cats do grow out of that behaviour eventually, you know, even if men
> don't.)
>
> Kudos are in order for her doing her best to get food into the kitten
> every couple of hours, making sure he/she pees regularly. She's
> obviously hovering over the little one like a mother cat. I've done the
> same when treating sick birds.
>
> Jill

She and her husband have nursed a few kittens in the past, and I have
faith that they will do a great job with this little one. Animal
shelters, in this state, can not keep kittens; every animal taken into
the shelter, is required to have vaccinations and this one is too young.
If the shelter can not find angels like Janet to foster them, they put
them down.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 3:30 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2012 05:45:51 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>

>>> Inject... WRONG... a great way for the liquid to go down into the
>>> bronchials and give the poor thing pneumonia. I've bottle fed four of
>>> the cats I have now, two from three days old, two from three hours
>>> old, and I've bettle fed several kittens and puppies previously. A
>>> healthy kitten will nurse from a bottle almost immedietely if not
>>> sooner... there are ways to urge them to nurse (the same way the
>>> mother cat does) but it's much easier for someone to demonstrate than
>>> to explain. If the kitten is not healthy then bring it to a Vet. If
>>> you don't know how to nurse a kitten with a bottle ask a Vet, or Vet
>>> Asst... most anyone with any authority at a legitimate animal shelter
>>> certainly would have demonstrated before releasing a kitten that needs
>>> to be nursed, and have the person actually bottle feed the kitten in
>>> their presence to be sure they are successful, in fact they would have
>>> given the person a couple of bottles with nipples (and shown the
>>> proper hole size) and a can of kitten formula as a starter kit, and no
>>> way would they ever mention eye droppers and definitely not
>>> syringes... this entire story reeks of BS.

>> You can't always be 100% correct, Sheldon.
>> http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_p...-one?hp_id=491

> That's about a sick cat (not a nursing kitten), and I clearly
> indicated to contact a Vet for a sick animal... one day you may learn
> how to read for comprehension rather than to satisfy your snotty ego

The kitten was abandoned. Sometimes they loose the ability to suckle.
I'm working with her with the kitten bottle and have found a nipple and
the right cut in it that she will use, but she fights with me. She can't
find the right spot for the nipple on her own and fights like a hell
cat. It is a challenge to get her to nurse but she has gained over a n
ounce since Tuesday afternoon when we got her.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/7/2012 5:11 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Kudos are in order for her doing her best to get food into the kitten
>> every couple of hours, making sure he/she pees regularly. She's
>> obviously hovering over the little one like a mother cat. I've done the
>> same when treating sick birds.

> I hope the little one is doing much better now.
>
> G.

she's gained a little over an ounce since Tuesday. She's difficult, but
I am trying. Spent 45 minutes today trying to get some poop out of her.
Finally did, so the constipation problem may have resolved. she
scared me to death this morning when she didn't pee. She did feed, so I
left her for a while. Later I used gauze, which is a little rougher
than cotton, and managed to get a large pee and some poop. I guess the
bit of mineral oil yesterday worked.

We are in touch with a vet and the Humane Society. We went and got her
some worming meds today from the HS. Have to give her tiny little doses
over several days.

I only wish she'd warm up to human touch. If she can't she won't be
adoptable and all of our efforts might be lost. This is not a no kill
shelter. It struggles to remain afloat. If I didn't take the kitten,
she'd have been put down as these little ones can't get shots so the
shelter can't keep them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
.com...

[...]

That's good news that she has gained some weight. You really are an angel
for taking such special care of her. I suspect that she may warm up to
human touch after she gains more weight and begins to feel more comfortable.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 6:49 AM, MaryL wrote:
> That's good news that she has gained some weight. You really are an
> angel for taking such special care of her. I suspect that she may warm
> up to human touch after she gains more weight and begins to feel more
> comfortable.
>
> MaryL

We've had a cat for couple of months now and he's a pretty needy cat. If
you try to pet her, she'll try to bite you. My hands and arm are full of
bites and scratches. That's fine with me but he loves getting into my
face and enjoys walking on the keyboard of the laptop while I'm on it.
What an annoying cat!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/8/2012 6:49 AM, MaryL wrote:
>> That's good news that she has gained some weight. You really are an
>> angel for taking such special care of her. I suspect that she may warm
>> up to human touch after she gains more weight and begins to feel more
>> comfortable.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> We've had a cat for couple of months now and he's a pretty needy cat. If
> you try to pet her, she'll try to bite you. My hands and arm are full of
> bites and scratches. That's fine with me but he loves getting into my face
> and enjoys walking on the keyboard of the laptop while I'm on it. What an
> annoying cat!

It wouldn't be fine with me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 11:10 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 12/8/2012 6:49 AM, MaryL wrote:
>>> That's good news that she has gained some weight. You really are an
>>> angel for taking such special care of her. I suspect that she may warm
>>> up to human touch after she gains more weight and begins to feel more
>>> comfortable.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>

>> We've had a cat for couple of months now and he's a pretty needy cat.
>> If you try to pet her, she'll try to bite you. My hands and arm are
>> full of bites and scratches. That's fine with me but he loves getting
>> into my face and enjoys walking on the keyboard of the laptop while
>> I'm on it. What an annoying cat!

> It wouldn't be fine with me.
>
> Cheri

The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some
leeway. I would be less patient if he was full grown. The cat's name is
"sniffles" and it has some kind of chronic head cold. The other day he
had a sneezing fit and he blew out a big chunk of snot. The great thing
about that was he licked it up. Good cat! Too bad I wasn't getting this
antic on my phone - it would have gone viral!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/8/2012 11:10 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> We've had a cat for couple of months now and he's a pretty needy cat.
>>> If you try to pet her, she'll try to bite you. My hands and arm are
>>> full of bites and scratches. That's fine with me but he loves getting
>>> into my face and enjoys walking on the keyboard of the laptop while
>>> I'm on it. What an annoying cat!

>> It wouldn't be fine with me.
>>
>> Cheri

> The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some leeway.
> I would be less patient if he was full grown. The cat's name is "sniffles"
> and it has some kind of chronic head cold. The other day he had a sneezing
> fit and he blew out a big chunk of snot. The great thing about that was he
> licked it up. Good cat! Too bad I wasn't getting this antic on my phone -
> it would have gone viral!

No, the biting should stop. It's harder to retrain after behaviors go on,
than to train in the first place.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:36:07 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>

>>The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some
>>leeway.

> With kittens, you have to do what the Momcat would do if the
> kitten is misbehaving..
>
> HISS directly into their face!

Or this from the net:

..Yell "Ouch"
Don't scream it, but say "Ouch" loudly and clearly. While you have your
cat's attention, slowly remove your hand from his clutches. Don't yank it
away or he'll think play is on, and he'll grab it again.
"Scruff Him"
This is one of the most effective forms of discipline of cats. It mimics the
punishment given a kitten by his mother when he became unruly. Grasp him by
the scruff of the neck and firmly push him groundward, while saying "No!" in
a firm tone of voice. Hold him in this position for only three or four
seconds and release. Chances are, he'll slink away, thoroughly chastened, to
bathe and recover his dignity. But he'll remember this lesson for a long
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 4:04 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 12/8/2012 6:49 AM, MaryL wrote:
>> That's good news that she has gained some weight. You really are an
>> angel for taking such special care of her. I suspect that she may warm
>> up to human touch after she gains more weight and begins to feel more
>> comfortable.
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> We've had a cat for couple of months now and he's a pretty needy cat. If
> you try to pet her, she'll try to bite you. My hands and arm are full of
> bites and scratches. That's fine with me but he loves getting into my
> face and enjoys walking on the keyboard of the laptop while I'm on it.
> What an annoying cat!

Sounds like a job for Jackson Galaxy:

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows...son-galaxy.htm

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 6:47 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:36:07 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some
>>> leeway.

>> With kittens, you have to do what the Momcat would do if the
>> kitten is misbehaving..
>>
>> HISS directly into their face!

> Or this from the net:
>
> .Yell "Ouch"
> Don't scream it, but say "Ouch" loudly and clearly. While you have your
> cat's attention, slowly remove your hand from his clutches. Don't yank
> it away or he'll think play is on, and he'll grab it again.
> "Scruff Him"
> This is one of the most effective forms of discipline of cats. It mimics
> the punishment given a kitten by his mother when he became unruly. Grasp
> him by the scruff of the neck and firmly push him groundward, while
> saying "No!" in a firm tone of voice. Hold him in this position for only
> three or four seconds and release. Chances are, he'll slink away,
> thoroughly chastened, to bathe and recover his dignity. But he'll
> remember this lesson for a long time.

Good advice! You can't excuse bad behaviour because the cat is a
juvenile. That's what happens with most parents of human children, then
look at the bratty kids they wind up with. Early training counts for a lot.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2012 5:47 PM, Cheri wrote:

> .Yell "Ouch"
> Don't scream it, but say "Ouch" loudly and clearly. While you have your
> cat's attention, slowly remove your hand from his clutches. Don't yank
> it away or he'll think play is on, and he'll grab it again.
> "Scruff Him"
> This is one of the most effective forms of discipline of cats. It mimics
> the punishment given a kitten by his mother when he became unruly. Grasp
> him by the scruff of the neck and firmly push him groundward, while
> saying "No!" in a firm tone of voice. Hold him in this position for only
> three or four seconds and release. Chances are, he'll slink away,
> thoroughly chastened, to bathe and recover his dignity. But he'll
> remember this lesson for a long time.

The vet taught me to scruff a kitten that is crying too much and upset.
It immediately calms them into a trance-like state. Sort of tactile
valium for kittens. It has helped to calm our new little hell cat.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

We had a better day today. She is eating quite a lot. Eliminating well.
Starting to roam a bit and exhibit some curiosity. Still cries a lot and
still fights me with the feedings, but we are getting there, slowly.
She is gaining weight. Put on over 2 ounces since Tuesday.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:36:07 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>

>> The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some
>> leeway.

> With kittens, you have to do what the Momcat would do if the
> kitten is misbehaving..
>
> HISS directly into their face!

I actually did that to Maui when she was a kitten. I was trying to give her
a pill and she wanted none of it. I backed her into the corner and hissed.
And then I felt bad because she looked so terrified.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:36:07 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> The way I figure it, he's a juvenile animal so I can give him some
>>> leeway.

>> With kittens, you have to do what the Momcat would do if the
>> kitten is misbehaving..
>>
>> HISS directly into their face!

> Or this from the net:
>
> .Yell "Ouch"
> Don't scream it, but say "Ouch" loudly and clearly. While you have
> your cat's attention, slowly remove your hand from his clutches.
> Don't yank it away or he'll think play is on, and he'll grab it again.
> "Scruff Him"
> This is one of the most effective forms of discipline of cats. It
> mimics the punishment given a kitten by his mother when he became
> unruly. Grasp him by the scruff of the neck and firmly push him
> groundward, while saying "No!" in a firm tone of voice. Hold him in
> this position for only three or four seconds and release. Chances
> are, he'll slink away, thoroughly chastened, to bathe and recover his
> dignity. But he'll remember this lesson for a long time.

I just talk to Ballerina. I would tell her that "Hands are for petting".
And then I would merely place my hand on her until she got used to it. And
then I would work up to petting. She still kind of saves up her love. She
doesn't like it so much if I decide that I want to hold or pet her. She
wants it when she wants it. So she'll lay down by me and if I am not paying
attention to her, she will grab my hand with her paws and try to put it on
her.

Tiny packets Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 11 12-11-2015 02:56 PM
Tiny Ear of Corn Chris Marksberry[_2_] General Cooking 22 23-08-2008 10:11 PM
Tiny bubbles.... N2310D Winemaking 0 19-12-2006 05:06 AM
tiny bubbles in my Cab -What are they? [email protected] Winemaking 3 30-11-2006 01:44 AM
tiny URL Bob Pastorio General Cooking 19 05-11-2003 08:52 PM