jmcquown

Default Breakfast for dinner

More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off. 3
strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather not,
thanks

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Doug Kanter

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off.
> 3
> strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
> absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
> in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather
> not,
> thanks
>
> Jill

Great night tonight! You know that 2-1/8" hole saw I couldn't find last
week? It was under the seat of my car! What the hell???? Must've fallen
under there last September when I moved into the new house.

Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off.
> 3
> strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
> absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
> in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather
> not,
> thanks

I had quiche, does that count? Spinach, mushrooms and bacon. To my
amazement, it came out the exact same texture and taste as the quiche I
used to make ... geez ... well over 20 years ago. I was thrilled. Nice
change of pace.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 20 Jul 2005 06:03:38p, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes
>> off. 3
>> strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
>> absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my
>> head in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd
>> rather not, thanks
>>
>> Jill

> Great night tonight! You know that 2-1/8" hole saw I couldn't find last
> week? It was under the seat of my car! What the hell???? Must've fallen
> under there last September when I moved into the new house.

Fascinating!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0529-1, 07/20/2005
Tested on: 7/20/2005 7:11:20 PM

-L.

> I had quiche, does that count? Spinach, mushrooms and bacon. To my
> amazement, it came out the exact same texture and taste as the quiche I
> used to make ... geez ... well over 20 years ago. I was thrilled. Nice
> change of pace.
>
> nancy

Recipe? I can't make quiche to save my life. Just comes out
bland/boring.

-L.

jmcquown

-L. wrote:
>> I had quiche, does that count? Spinach, mushrooms and bacon. To my
>> amazement, it came out the exact same texture and taste as the
>> quiche I used to make ... geez ... well over 20 years ago. I was
>> thrilled. Nice change of pace.
>>
>> nancy

> Recipe? I can't make quiche to save my life. Just comes out
> bland/boring.
>
> -L.

Quiche is so easy to make. My secret ingredient is nutmeg (same with a lot
of my soups). Just don't ask me to make pie crust. I buy the frozen
deep-dish ones. 5 eggs, lightly beaten, whisk in some cream, sauteed
veggies (minced onion, garlic, sauteed in butter) grated cheese - Fontina is
good or Gruyere, both excellent melting cheeses -salt, pepper and nutmeg to
taste. If you want, add some cooked crumbled bacon. Or add lightly steamed
spinach, well drained, or chopped steamed broccoli. Mushrooms (if you like
them). Pour the mixture into the crust and bake it about 25 minutes.
Voila!

Jill

Karen

jmcquown wrote:
> More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off. 3
> strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
> absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
> in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather not,
> thanks

Sometimes when I do breakfast for dinner, I make chilaquiles or
something similar. I tear up corn tortillas into inch sized pieces or
so, and fry in a med-hot pan with a little oil. Add diced onion and
sometimes a little ham, or leftover pork chop, or steak, that's diced
in little pieces. Stir around. When the tortillas get crispy, I add 2-3
beaten eggs and stir around. When eggs are set enough, turn off heat.
Then, add shredded cheese and fold over egg mixture so it melts. And,
in the end, on the plate, I add salsa, sour cream, cilantro, raw onion
(save some from the onion that went in the pan) tomato, avocado, or
what ever is in the kitchen along those lines, but most importantly I
add Tabasco. If I were out of Tabasco, I probably would not make this.
Karen

serene

Karen > wrote:

> Sometimes when I do breakfast for dinner, I make chilaquiles

God, I love chilaquiles. I miss having good Mexican food available.
*sigh*

serene
Bob

serene wrote:

> God, I love chilaquiles. I miss having good Mexican food available.
> *sigh*

Chilaquiles are easy to make. Karen gave a pretty good description, although
I always include refried beans in mine. But you live in the Bay Area,
right? Are you saying there's no "good Mexican food" around you at all? What
would make it "good"?

Bob

serene

Bob > wrote:

> serene wrote:
>
> > God, I love chilaquiles. I miss having good Mexican food available.
> > *sigh*

> Chilaquiles are easy to make. Karen gave a pretty good description, although
> I always include refried beans in mine.

Yeah, I'm gonna try it. I cook a lot of Mexican food (lived in San Diego
for 25 years, have lots of relatives in Mexico, so it's a default
setting), but I was talking about taquerias and stuff.

> But you live in the Bay Area,
> right? Are you saying there's no "good Mexican food" around you at all? What
> would make it "good"?

I live in Oakland, where there is *phenomenal* Ethiopian food, but so
far, only mediocre Mexican. We did have some okay stuff in Fruitvale (a
largely Mexican neighborhood) and will go back to try the other places
there, but when the best I've had here is at Acapulco's, it makes me
sad.

("Good" is hard to describe. I know it when I see it.)

serene

projectile vomit chick

Is that the thick bacon you were ****ing and moaning about in another
thread? Guess it was good enough for your fat ass, after all.

Doug Kanter

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Is that the thick bacon you were ****ing and moaning about in another
> thread? Guess it was good enough for your fat ass, after all.

:-) What the hell was THAT thread about?

sf

On 21 Jul 2005 11:45:02 -0500, Bob wrote:

> serene wrote:
>
> > God, I love chilaquiles. I miss having good Mexican food available.
> > *sigh*

> Chilaquiles are easy to make. Karen gave a pretty good description, although
> I always include refried beans in mine. But you live in the Bay Area,
> right? Are you saying there's no "good Mexican food" around you at all? What
> would make it "good"?

It makes sense - you miss what you're used to. If she lives in the
Bay Area, the Mexican food is North California Mexico style and if
she's from somewhere else she misses that style. For instance, when
I'm in Southern California, I miss "real" Mexican food... meaning
NoCal style.
AlleyGator

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off. 3
>strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
>absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
>in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather not,
>thanks
>
>Jill
>--
>I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Breakfast for dinner is about my favorite meal in the world. Maybe
because it's so hard to enjoy good food early in the day.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Alternate Identity

In article .com>,
"projectile vomit chick" > wrote:

> Is that the thick bacon you were ****ing and moaning about in another
> thread? Guess it was good enough for your fat ass, after all.

At least his fat ass is not addicted to Heroin like your's is.......

**** off!

Steve Pope

serene > wrote:

>I live in Oakland, where there is *phenomenal* Ethiopian food, but so
>far, only mediocre Mexican. We did have some okay stuff in Fruitvale (a
>largely Mexican neighborhood) and will go back to try the other places
>there, but when the best I've had here is at Acapulco's, it makes me
>sad.

Have you tried Zamarono, on International (E. 14th)?

S.
Joseph Littleshoes

jmcquown wrote:

> -L. wrote:
> >> I had quiche, does that count? Spinach, mushrooms and bacon. To

> my
> >> amazement, it came out the exact same texture and taste as the
> >> quiche I used to make ... geez ... well over 20 years ago. I was
> >> thrilled. Nice change of pace.
> >>
> >> nancy

> > Recipe? I can't make quiche to save my life. Just comes out
> > bland/boring.
> >
> > -L.

> Quiche is so easy to make. My secret ingredient is nutmeg (same with
> a lot
> of my soups). Just don't ask me to make pie crust. I buy the frozen
> deep-dish ones. 5 eggs, lightly beaten, whisk in some cream, sauteed
> veggies (minced onion, garlic, sauteed in butter) grated cheese -
> Fontina is
> good or Gruyere, both excellent melting cheeses -salt, pepper and
> nutmeg to
> taste. If you want, add some cooked crumbled bacon. Or add lightly
> steamed
> spinach, well drained, or chopped steamed broccoli. Mushrooms (if you
> like
> them). Pour the mixture into the crust and bake it about 25 minutes.
> Voila!
>
> Jill

My poor old copy of Julia Child's 'Mastering the art of French cooking'
quiche section is dog eared, stained and otherwise messed up due to my
love of her quiche recipes, of course her quiche lorraine is very good,
but i like the quiche aux fruit de mer the best, shrimp, crab or lobster
are all good but i like the fresh crab quiche the best. Her blue cheese
quiche is very good also. Tomato quiche with anchovies and olives,
onion quiche, onion quiche with anchovies and black olives, mushroom
quiche all are very, very good.

Her recipe for rapee morvandelle (gratin of shredded potatoes with ham
and eggs and onions) is essentially a quiche without a crust and served
from the oven proof dish it is baked in and is delicious.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

sf

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:43:52 GMT, AlleyGator wrote:

> Breakfast for dinner is about my favorite meal in the world. Maybe
> because it's so hard to enjoy good food early in the day.

I think you and my husband are long lost brothers. He *used* to fix
breakfast any time he needed to eat.
serene

Steve Pope > wrote:

> serene > wrote:
>
> >I live in Oakland, where there is *phenomenal* Ethiopian food, but so
> >far, only mediocre Mexican. We did have some okay stuff in Fruitvale (a
> >largely Mexican neighborhood) and will go back to try the other places
> >there, but when the best I've had here is at Acapulco's, it makes me
> >sad.

> Have you tried Zamarono, on International (E. 14th)?

Nope, but I will. Should I do it before or after we loosen the budget a
little?

serene
Richard Kaszeta

"jmcquown" > writes:

> More storms moving in so I'd better work fast in case the power goes off. 3
> strips of thick bacon, 2 eggs over-medium and a piece of toast. If
> absolutely necessary I can do this whilst holding an umbrella over my head
> in my trusty cast iron skillet on the grill in the rain, but I'd rather not,
> thanks

I've always been more of a "dinner for breakfast" sort of person.
Someone has to buck the trend.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Nancy Young

(sorry for the atrocious snipping)

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message

>> > Recipe? I can't make quiche to save my life. Just comes out
>> > bland/boring.
>> >
>> > -L.

>> Quiche is so easy to make. My secret ingredient is nutmeg (same with
>> a lot
>> of my soups). Just don't ask me to make pie crust.
>> Jill

Funny, I didn't see either of these messages until Joe Littleshoes
responded. Sorry, -L, I wasn't ignoring you. I'll post the recipe
later today.

nancy

Karen

Richard Kaszeta wrote:
> I've always been more of a "dinner for breakfast" sort of person.
> Someone has to buck the trend.

hmmm I can relate to that. If I am ever out for breakfast, I'll hope
it's not too early to order a sandwich or burger. But, I like breakfast
for dinner now and then. Lunch for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, and
lunch for lunch.

Karen

Steve Pope

serene > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote:

>> Have you tried Zamarono, on International (E. 14th)?

>Nope, but I will. Should I do it before or after we loosen the budget a
>little?

It's not pricey, but I haven't been there in several years.
As of the mid-90's, they were about the only people up here
making a carnitas burrito or a taco al pastor that would
measure up to the equivalent in SoCal.

Steve
Joseph Littleshoes

Steve Pope wrote:

> serene > wrote:
>
> >Steve Pope > wrote:

> >> Have you tried Zamarono, on International (E. 14th)?

> >Nope, but I will. Should I do it before or after we loosen the

> budget a
> >little?

> It's not pricey, but I haven't been there in several years.
> As of the mid-90's, they were about the only people up here
> making a carnitas burrito or a taco al pastor that would
> measure up to the equivalent in SoCal.
>
> Steve

I dont recall the name of the Mexican place but its on the north west
corner of Haste and Telegraph in Berkely and makes a good carne asada as
well as steak burritos.---
Joseph Littleshoes

serene

Steve Pope > wrote:

> serene > wrote:
>
> >Steve Pope > wrote:

> >> Have you tried Zamarono, on International (E. 14th)?

> >Nope, but I will. Should I do it before or after we loosen the budget a
> >little?

> It's not pricey, but I haven't been there in several years.

Well, next time you're up for some good carnitas, give me a yell. :-)

serene

serene

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> I dont recall the name of the Mexican place but its on the north west
> corner of Haste and Telegraph in Berkely and makes a good carne asada as
> well as steak burritos.---

Frausto's? We found it mediocre. (But I may be wrong about which place
you mean -- I think Frausto's is a block south of Haste.)

serene
Joseph Littleshoes

serene wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>
> > I dont recall the name of the Mexican place but its on the north

> west
> > corner of Haste and Telegraph in Berkely and makes a good carne

> asada as
> > well as steak burritos.

> ---

> JL

> Frausto's? We found it mediocre. (But I may be wrong about which
> place
> you mean -- I think Frausto's is a block south of Haste.)
>
> serene

No, Manuel's i think, iirc. I have never had gourmet Mexican food, i
have had very good Mexican food in America but never authentic good food
in Mexico. And i used to live in San Diego and knew a guy whos mother
routinly made tortillas by hand, with out a tortilla press, she made
good food.

I love 'steak ranchero' and 'carne asada', fluatas, tamales, etc. I am
lucky enough to live 2 blocks from a basement that has been making
traditional Mexican tamales for the last 50 years ( a baement where they
have been made by the same family for the last...).

12 tamale for 10 dollars.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

serene

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> serene wrote:
>

> > Frausto's? We found it mediocre. (But I may be wrong about which
> > place
> > you mean -- I think Frausto's is a block south of Haste.)
> >
> > serene

> No, Manuel's i think, iirc.

Not sure it's there any more. Our laundromat is on that corner -- OH,
no, wait, we're on Shattuck. Duh. Haven't tried Manuel's. Will give it
a go next time we walk up that way.

serene
Joseph Littleshoes

serene wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>
> > serene wrote:
> >

> > > Frausto's? We found it mediocre. (But I may be wrong about which
> > > place
> > > you mean -- I think Frausto's is a block south of Haste.)
> > >
> > > serene

> > No, Manuel's i think, iirc.

> Not sure it's there any more. Our laundromat is on that corner -- OH,
> no, wait, we're on Shattuck. Duh. Haven't tried Manuel's. Will give
> it
> a go next time we walk up that way.
>
> serene

I got a reflex giggle out of that, i think i know the place on Shattuck
you mentioned. Watered down pseudo mexican "style" food?

Im sure Manuels is probly only an above average mediocre, i really do
not know Mexican food, but that little basement is in oakland if you are
interested.

Manuel's is just across the street from Cody's book store on
Telegraph..
---
Joseph Littleshoes

serene

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> serene wrote:

> > Not sure it's there any more. Our laundromat is on that corner -- OH,
> > no, wait, we're on Shattuck. Duh. Haven't tried Manuel's. Will give
> > it
> > a go next time we walk up that way.

> I got a reflex giggle out of that, i think i know the place on Shattuck
> you mentioned. Watered down pseudo mexican "style" food?

Yes, yes. I mean, Mexican food, but with no oomph at all. And not
fresh-tasting.

> Im sure Manuels is probly only an above average mediocre, i really do
> not know Mexican food, but that little basement is in oakland if you are
> interested.

Cool, thanks. :-)

> Manuel's is just across the street from Cody's book store on
> Telegraph..

Was just out that way today. Guy took me to Raleigh's. Everything was
yummy. Hungarian bean soup with a peppery sausage; lovely fresh onion
rings; roasted eggplant sandwich on artichoke-rosemary bread that they
bake themselves. Mmmmmm, yum. The service was awful, but we didn't
care much, because we were in the opposite of a hurry. We had walked a
long way and wanted to sit for a long time.

serene

Steve Pope

serene > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote:

[ Zamarono, on International (E. 14th) ]

>Well, next time you're up for some good carnitas, give me a yell. :-)

Thanks -- I will!

But I mis-stated; the carnitas is fine but it's the chile verde
that's really excellent there (and reminisence of L.A.).

S.
serene

Steve Pope > wrote:

> serene > wrote:
>
> >Steve Pope > wrote:

> [ Zamarono, on International (E. 14th) ]
>
> >Well, next time you're up for some good carnitas, give me a yell. :-)

> Thanks -- I will!
>
> But I mis-stated; the carnitas is fine but it's the chile verde
> that's really excellent there (and reminisence of L.A.).

I've never had chile verde (or, really, many meat dishes at all, given
the circumstances -- people have been helping me catch up on twenty
years of missed opportunities to stuff my face with dead animals. ;-)

serene
Joseph Littleshoes

serene wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > serene wrote:

> > ...that little basement is in oakland if you are
> > interested.

> Cool, thanks. :-)

Serene:

I responded to what i am guessing is your interest in "the little
basement"? Honestly i am not sure if you are merely thinking me for
mentioning it or if you would like more precise information as to it
location. Assuming the latter i sent you an e mail to the address as is
listed in your post. But i am not sure if it actually got to you. I
apologized in the first sentence for e - mailing you but as the
information was a tad personal i thought it might be better to
communicate it 'off list'.

My apologies if i presumed too much.
---
JL

p.s. 'Gawd'! that all sounds awfully pompous, my apologies for that to.

serene

Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Assuming the latter i sent you an e mail to the address as is
> listed in your post. But i am not sure if it actually got to you. I
> apologized in the first sentence for e - mailing you but as the
> information was a tad personal i thought it might be better to
> communicate it 'off list'.
>
> My apologies if i presumed too much.
> ---
> JL
>
> p.s. 'Gawd'! that all sounds awfully pompous, my apologies for that to.

Actually, I think you're a darling. I have just been working a lot the
past few days, and let my email get backed up (when I'm tired/busy, I'm
more likely to look at Usenet than email, because email takes more
emotional energy.)

Off to actually look at email. :-)

serene