General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default OT Prayer Request

We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.

I was hysterical at first, but pulled it together enough to talk to
911, who our kids' godfather called for us, the boys were all at the
table and saw it happen, Elijah ran from the table in fear after his
dad took her up to the airport office to meet the paramedics.
Alexander is still really shaken up. I am extremely thankful to our
godson who saw it and told us right away, we would have lost much more
time, because we were trying to get the last of a late dinner put
together and on the table for the kids, and the adults were all in the
kitchen. We sent Matt out, because he is about 13, and we knew he
could keep an eye on the kids, and we are grateful for him.

She resuscitated in the van on the way to the office, on her own, and
they say that there doesn't appear to be any damage to her heart or
brain. She is cheerful today and being her normal friendly self. They
took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur followed
in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
food for Rich and her soft doll. The did some tests, checked her throat
and gave her some apple juice, both to hydrate her and for the pectin
for her throat.

She is understandably exhausted today. The doctors said that a
seizure like that is like running a mile sprint, only in the 45 seconds
or whatever it takes. We had her sleep in our room last night, for our
sake more than hers, and she woke up early this morning, at 5:00 am, and
never was I so thrilled to be kept awake by her. She was very thirsty
and hungry, as she only had about two bites of food before she choked,
and the apple juice at the hospital, so I gave her some water, and she
fell asleep again. When she woke up, I had fallen asleep again, and I
woke to her pulling on my toes, her little crib was at the foot of our
bed, and my feet were out of the covers. Rich made hard boiled
eggs, which are her favorite things, and she had a good appetite.

When I saw her blue and non-responsive, I was terrified. In fact, we
never saw her recover, and we didn't think Rich's CPR had done anything
to her, because she still wasn't breathing and she was limp and blue
when he left with her, but evidently he did dislodge the food, and
keeping her upside down kept it from going down the wrong pipe again, so
that was why she came out of it. I am so thankful. We are taking it
very slow and easy today. I haven't been so afraid in a long time, and
I don't think so gut wrenchingly so - even when we were terrified for
Elijah it was fear of the risk of what might or could happen, I saw her
and thought she was going to die, that we were going to lose her right
there, in front of our other children. Rich had to tell me to back off
and get out of the way, because I saw her and screamed.

All of the boys got to see her before bed and kiss her goodnight,
except for Elijah, and he was upstairs with Alexander sad and saying
that Amira had died. Alexander got us and we went and reassured him
that she was alive and sleeping in our room with us, and he wanted to
go sleep with her to comfort her. Even I who knew she was alright had
nightmares about it, that she was home and fine, and had her first meal
and choked again and we couldn't do anything about it. So, I'm still
pulling it together today and giving glory to God for his work in her.
It was such a blessing to have her to cuddle with this morning, and to
hear her laugh and see her smile.

The boys and I prayed together immediately after Rich and Arthur
left, which calmed us all down a bit. Rich was wonderful in how he took
care of Amira and comforting me when he checked in from the hospital.
The first passage of scripture I turned to in my Bible just flipping it
over was Psalm 121:

I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My
help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not
let your foot be moved, and he who watches over you will not fall
asleep. Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel shall neither slumber
nor sleep; the LORD himself watches over you; the LORD is your shade at
your right hand, so that the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the
moon by night. The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; it is he who
shall keep you safe. The LORD shall watch over your going out and your
coming in, from this time forth for evermore.

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Andy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee,

How can anyone read your post without shedding a tear!

What else can I say except my prayers!

Amira and family, get well soon!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
cathyxyz
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hope Amira (and all of you) will be ok. Our thoughts are with you. Know
what its like to almost lose a child <shudder>.
Cathy
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sarah
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
...
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.
>
> I was hysterical at first, but pulled it together enough to talk to
> 911, who our kids' godfather called for us, the boys were all at the
> table and saw it happen, Elijah ran from the table in fear after his
> dad took her up to the airport office to meet the paramedics.
> Alexander is still really shaken up. I am extremely thankful to our
> godson who saw it and told us right away, we would have lost much more
> time, because we were trying to get the last of a late dinner put
> together and on the table for the kids, and the adults were all in the
> kitchen. We sent Matt out, because he is about 13, and we knew he
> could keep an eye on the kids, and we are grateful for him.
>
> She resuscitated in the van on the way to the office, on her own, and
> they say that there doesn't appear to be any damage to her heart or
> brain. She is cheerful today and being her normal friendly self. They
> took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur followed
> in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
> food for Rich and her soft doll. The did some tests, checked her throat
> and gave her some apple juice, both to hydrate her and for the pectin
> for her throat.
>
> She is understandably exhausted today. The doctors said that a
> seizure like that is like running a mile sprint, only in the 45 seconds
> or whatever it takes. We had her sleep in our room last night, for our
> sake more than hers, and she woke up early this morning, at 5:00 am, and
> never was I so thrilled to be kept awake by her. She was very thirsty
> and hungry, as she only had about two bites of food before she choked,
> and the apple juice at the hospital, so I gave her some water, and she
> fell asleep again. When she woke up, I had fallen asleep again, and I
> woke to her pulling on my toes, her little crib was at the foot of our
> bed, and my feet were out of the covers. Rich made hard boiled
> eggs, which are her favorite things, and she had a good appetite.
>
> When I saw her blue and non-responsive, I was terrified. In fact, we
> never saw her recover, and we didn't think Rich's CPR had done anything
> to her, because she still wasn't breathing and she was limp and blue
> when he left with her, but evidently he did dislodge the food, and
> keeping her upside down kept it from going down the wrong pipe again, so
> that was why she came out of it. I am so thankful. We are taking it
> very slow and easy today. I haven't been so afraid in a long time, and
> I don't think so gut wrenchingly so - even when we were terrified for
> Elijah it was fear of the risk of what might or could happen, I saw her
> and thought she was going to die, that we were going to lose her right
> there, in front of our other children. Rich had to tell me to back off
> and get out of the way, because I saw her and screamed.
>
> All of the boys got to see her before bed and kiss her goodnight,
> except for Elijah, and he was upstairs with Alexander sad and saying
> that Amira had died. Alexander got us and we went and reassured him
> that she was alive and sleeping in our room with us, and he wanted to
> go sleep with her to comfort her. Even I who knew she was alright had
> nightmares about it, that she was home and fine, and had her first meal
> and choked again and we couldn't do anything about it. So, I'm still
> pulling it together today and giving glory to God for his work in her.
> It was such a blessing to have her to cuddle with this morning, and to
> hear her laugh and see her smile.
>
> The boys and I prayed together immediately after Rich and Arthur
> left, which calmed us all down a bit. Rich was wonderful in how he took
> care of Amira and comforting me when he checked in from the hospital.
> The first passage of scripture I turned to in my Bible just flipping it
> over was Psalm 121:
>
> I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My
> help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not
> let your foot be moved, and he who watches over you will not fall
> asleep. Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel shall neither slumber
> nor sleep; the LORD himself watches over you; the LORD is your shade at
> your right hand, so that the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the
> moon by night. The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; it is he who
> shall keep you safe. The LORD shall watch over your going out and your
> coming in, from this time forth for evermore.
>
> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/


What a terrible thing to happen. I'm so glad it was a happy ending. It's
lucky that you had someone who kept a cool head and knew CPR. One without
the other is not a lot of use. Sending a prayer of thanks for your good
fortune.
Sarah


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
itsjoannotjoann
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.


> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>




Oh my goodness, prayers go out for all of you as I'm sure you were all
terrified when you saw this. Glad to hear she seems to have recovered
and was smiling this morning. You'll be shaken up for days to come but
do keep us posted on how she's doing.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Goomba38
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.
>


I'm sorry you had to experience this. Amazingly kids are so resilient
that she'll be over it LONG before you two. LOL

Perhaps a community CPR class would help reassure everyone (older kids
even?) particularly the Heimlich maneuver.

Take care and kiss little Amira for me
Goomba
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Margaret Suran
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.


<<<Most of really frightening text was snipped.>>>

> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>


Prayers of thanks are going out. What an experience! I hope that all
will be well from now on.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Nexis
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
...
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.
> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>


Ranee,

My prayers are with Amira and all of you. Thank God there was someone
available who knew CPR and could keep a cool head. It is so easy to panic in
a situation like that. I know it will probably be a while before you feel
you can relax again, so I will say an extra prayer for your peace of mind.

kimberly


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Puester
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.



>
> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee



Regardless of what inspired him, Rich is a hero who
saved his daughter's life. I am happy for you that
all seems to have turned out well. I hope Amira
continues to show no symptoms of further problems.

Best wishes,
gloria p
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dimitri
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
...

<snip>

> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee


Wow what a scare.

Please encourage the other children to deal with their "terror" (fear). They
need to deal with it quickly and if necessary professionally.

Hang in there.

Dimitri




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dan Goodman
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken
> up about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to
> die.


I'm an agnostic, but if you think a prayer from me would reach God....

Glad it turned out okay.


--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
Clutterers Anonymous unofficial community
http://www.livejournal.com/community/clutterers_anon/
Decluttering http://decluttering.blogspot.com
Predictions and Politics http://dsgood.blogspot.com
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
John Arbuthnot (1667-1735), Scottish writer, physician.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ranee Mueller" > wrote

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure.


Ranee, that is the scariest story I've heard in a long time. I won't pray,
but you and your family are in my thoughts.

nancy


  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
kilikini
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
...
> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.



Ranee, my thoughts are with you. Although I have no children of my own
(can't have any, but I'm not unhappy about that), I can still sympathize
with you in your fears. Thank God your husband is a quick thinker in a
crisis and thought ahead to perform CPR! Hold that little one tightly;
we're all thinking of you.

kili


  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Debbie
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller wrote:
>> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken
>> up about it.


Oh my no wonder! What a scary experience for all of you. The poor children
having to see this.

Debbie


  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Rick & Cyndi
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Andy" <Q> wrote in message
.. .
> Ranee,
>
> How can anyone read your post without shedding a tear!
>
> What else can I say except my prayers!
>
> Amira and family, get well soon!
>
> --
> Andy
> http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

==========

No doubt!!

Ranee, please note that I always try to keep everyone within the RFC and ACC
in my daily prayers! I am so happy to hear all is well.

Cyndi




  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller > said:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it.


What a horrible ordeal for all of you. You're all in our thoughts and
prayers.

Carol and Crash
  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Curly Sue
 
Posts: n/a
Default

What a terrifying experience. It's a relief to know that she's OK.

Sue(tm)
Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Cindy Fuller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Ranee Mueller > wrote:

long scary story snipped
>
> The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
> and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.
>

I am so relieved to hear that Amira is fine. I hope Elijah, Alexander,
and Dominic have recovered from the scare they got. Julian and I are
holding you, Rich, and the frisky brood in our thoughts.

Unfortunately, there will be no apricots from our tree. As the Chicago
Cubs have been saying for 100 years, wait until next year.

Take care of each other,
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
sf
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:31:24 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> Fortunately, it was the latter.


How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?
>
> I was hysterical at first


No kidding - I would be hysterical too! I'm glad everything is ok
now, but I can tell you that I was a wreck for days after coming home
to something nowhere near as serious as what you went through, so I
think you're entitled.
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
The Joneses
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.


Glad to hear the little gal is okay. Told my loved ones that I loved them
today.
Edrena





  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default



sf wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
> > We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> > about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> > She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> > the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> > looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> > was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> > hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> > Fortunately, it was the latter.

>
> How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?


I wonder why she didn't call a vet, there is generally a veterinarian
who is on call in every community. Having six cats I try to be
prepared if one of mine suddenly becomes incapacited... I keep a list
of all veterinarians in my area with contact info and directions posted
on my fridge and a copy in my car. I also have a comprehensive first
aid manual specifically for cats (they're often free from the major pet
food manufacturers). Also, for anyone living in the north east US
there is a superb clinic on Lung Guyland, opened 24/7. When the local
vets gave up on my Jilly and Jack they saved them.

http://www.livs.org

Sheldon

  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dimitri
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

<snip>

>> How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?

>
> I wonder why she didn't call a vet, there is generally a veterinarian
> who is on call in every community. Having six cats I try to be
> prepared if one of mine suddenly becomes incapacited... I keep a list
> of all veterinarians in my area with contact info and directions posted
> on my fridge and a copy in my car. I also have a comprehensive first
> aid manual specifically for cats (they're often free from the major pet
> food manufacturers). Also, for anyone living in the north east US
> there is a superb clinic on Lung Guyland, opened 24/7. When the local
> vets gave up on my Jilly and Jack they saved them.
>
> http://www.livs.org
>
> Sheldon


I'm very confused - what is AMIRA? A cat?

Dimitri


  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. We are doing
well here. Amira acts like nothing happened, and we are still freaked
out.

We figure that one day she will balk at our pureeing all of her food,
but for now it makes us feel better.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Hope Amira (and all of you) will be ok. Our thoughts are with you. Know
> what its like to almost lose a child <shudder>.


*hugs* I'm glad to hear that yours was an almost rather than a did
happen.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Perhaps a community CPR class would help reassure everyone (older kids
> even?) particularly the Heimlich maneuver.


Fortunately, all the adults in the house had had some form of First
Aid and CPR training, though mine is out of date (we get updates from
Rich's mom who works at a child care center at a health club), and
Rich's infant stuff was limited. Arthur, the kids' godfather, is a
school bus driver and he is well trained, and Matt, his son, had
recently had adult CPR training, though he said he was disappointed in
it, as they never told them that a person could turn blue like that. I
miswrote, though, as Rich never had to do CPR, he began backblows, and
when nothing seemed to change, he started for the van as Arthur called
911. We live on the airport property, in an out of the way and
difficult to find for the first time, spot, so we didn't want to waste
any time trying to talk emergency vehicles down to our house, and they
know where to go to get to the airport office. Our eldest son is only
6 1/2, and although we do want them all to learn first aid and cpr, he
is probably the only one who could pick up any of it at this point, and
fortunately, he is never in a position to be alone watching the other
kids at his age.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/


  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:31:24 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:
>
> > We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
> > about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
> > She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
> > the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
> > looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
> > was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
> > hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
> > Fortunately, it was the latter.

>
> How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?


She is 16 months, and no. That was why we wanted to make sure that
it was the hypoxia which caused the seizure and not the other way
around. She had had a round of four immunizations a week earlier, and
we wanted to make sure it wasn't a reaction to them.

> > I was hysterical at first

>
> No kidding - I would be hysterical too! I'm glad everything is ok
> now, but I can tell you that I was a wreck for days after coming home
> to something nowhere near as serious as what you went through, so I
> think you're entitled.


Something Rich said was that I also knew I had the luxury to be so,
since he and Arthur were there. If I were on my own, I would have had
to hold it together for the kids. After that first scream, at least, I
was functional and able to deal with the 911 folks, the calling of our
priest and prayer chain, and Arthur's wife (Matt wanted to call his mom
because he was so frightened by what had happened). Then, with Rich and
Arthur gone, it was my job to hold the kids together and comfort them.

Arthur thought it was good for Matt to see mortality up close, since
he is a 13 year old boy, and as scary as it was for our boys, it
illustrated how important it is not to have the legos downstairs where
Amira plays (which is something we have to bugg them about, sometimes)
and why we talk about choking as such a scary thing.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> I'm very confused - what is AMIRA? A cat?


No, she is my daughter. She is 16 months old.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ranee Mueller
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article
>,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> Unfortunately, there will be no apricots from our tree. As the Chicago
> Cubs have been saying for 100 years, wait until next year.


That's alright. We can still be friends.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/
  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Dimitri wrote:
> "penmart01 wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?

> >
> > I wonder why she didn't call a vet, there is generally a veterinarian
> > who is on call in every community. Having six cats I try to be
> > prepared if one of mine suddenly becomes incapacited... I keep a list
> > of all veterinarians in my area with contact info and directions posted
> > on my fridge and a copy in my car. I also have a comprehensive first
> > aid manual specifically for cats (they're often free from the major pet
> > food manufacturers). Also, for anyone living in the north east US> > there is a superb clinic on Lung Guyland, opened 24/7. When the local
> > vets gave up on my Jilly and Jack they saved them.
> >
> > http://www.livs.org

>
>
> I'm very confused - what is AMIRA? A cat?


I'm confused too, I've not a clue, could be a hampster, a nubian goat,
even a pot bellied pig... the OP never gives the slightest hint... I
just assumed a pet, because I have pets... and wouldn't a normal parent
have refered to Amira as their child if that were the case... for all I
know Amira is an appropriate name for a pet tarantula. Many folks here
refer to their pets by name all the time without ever mentioning what
type (ie. Dog3 does that all the time, as does Jill, Sheryl, and Damsel
[hey, was years before I learned Crash wasn't a poodle - hehe], so do
I), but I don't remember anyone refering to their child without writing
"My son/daughter so n' so..." fill in the name, (I mean like it can
only be one or the other - son/daughter but 'child' will suffice), as
if we live with these pinheads in the same household. I don't know why
some are so audacious as to presume we're so intimately involved with
their personal lives (or want to be)in a food/cooking group... not like
this is
<family-schizophrenia.discuss.alt>. And if anyone chooses to post
personal business in public don't whine if it comes back to haunt.

Sheldon

  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
AlleyGator
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
>about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.


I am very happy that things turned out the way they did. God bless
you all. Although going through such a situation sometimes (or often)
causes subtle changes internally that are ususally, in the long run,
beneficial. Last Thursday nite our daughter was involved in a serious
car accident where the vehicle she was in ended up rolling at least 2
times. My son was first on the scene, we arrived shortly after the
rescue people. When I saw the car, and the two of them covered in
blood from head to toe, I just knew they were going to die. (As a
parent, you always assume the worst when you see stuff like that) As
it turns out, besides cuts and bruises, my daughter is the worst of
the lot and her injuries are miraculously small, given the nature of
the accident. She has some scooped-out sections of flesh on her right
foot the size of silver dollars that couldn't be stitched. These
require 3 times a day dressing changes which are quite painfull, and
causes her to occasionally sort of pass out, but we're all very
grateful, as this is but a mere inconvenience for her compared to what
SHOULD have happened. She's become adept with crutches and there's
been at least a hundred kids show up with flowers and stuff since
then. Friends she didn't even know she had turned up to say hi or
take her out for ice cream or whatever for a few minutes now and then,
and help keep her company while we're both gone. It brought a bunch
of her former and current friends together, opened up new channels of
communication and in the end, will be a good experience for all
involved. (Well, you know what I mean). Her first request the next
day was whether we'd let her go to church Sunday. At 16, she's not
only grasped the concept of her own mortality, but a lesson in the
laws of physics as well. Hopefully, this will affect her future
driving habits. Unfamiliar country roads at night, loose gravel and
inexperience don't add up to a good thing. OTOH, I must say that what
we went through is far less frightening than your experience. When
the "victim" is so incredibly helpless, the situation is magnified
greatly. In light of the last few days I can imagine, but only
partially, what you must have been going through.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.


  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sandi
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Sheldon wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > "penmart01 wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > >> How old ia Amira? Does she have a seizure disorder?
> > >
> > > I wonder why she didn't call a vet, there is generally a veterinarian
> > > who is on call in every community. Having six cats I try to be
> > > prepared if one of mine suddenly becomes incapacited... I keep a list
> > > of all veterinarians in my area with contact info and directions posted
> > > on my fridge and a copy in my car. I also have a comprehensive first
> > > aid manual specifically for cats (they're often free from the major pet
> > > food manufacturers). Also, for anyone living in the north east US> > there is a superb clinic on Lung Guyland, opened 24/7. When the local
> > > vets gave up on my Jilly and Jack they saved them.
> > >
> > > http://www.livs.org

> >
> >
> > I'm very confused - what is AMIRA? A cat?

>
> I'm confused too, I've not a clue, could be a hampster, a nubian goat,
> even a pot bellied pig... the OP never gives the slightest hint... I
> just assumed a pet, because I have pets... and wouldn't a normal parent
> have refered to Amira as their child if that were the case... for all I
> know Amira is an appropriate name for a pet tarantula.


She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
This is from the original post.
"They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
followed
in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some

food for Rich and her soft doll. "

Sandi

  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Sandi wrote:

for all I
> > know Amira is an appropriate name for a pet tarantula.

>
> She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
> This is from the original post.
> "They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
> followed
> in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
>
> food for Rich and her soft doll. "


Had to go back to check, that was like 3-4 paragraphs into an
excessively verbose post... I didn't read past the first two paragraphs
before giving up because to that point the post made not a whit of
sense nor was it at all interesting enough to read on. And why should
anyone need to hunt for clues, can't folks have the common decency to
be up front, especially in an emergency ... one can only imagine the
frustration of a 911 operator having to listen to all that pointless
hysterical hollywood dramatics before finding out it was about a child,
poor kid coulda died before Sarah Bernhardt got to the point.

Sheldon

  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Debbie
 
Posts: n/a
Default

AlleyGator wrote:
>> Ranee Mueller > wrote:
>>
>>> We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still
>>> shaken up about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was
>>> going to die.

>>
>> I am very happy that things turned out the way they did. God bless
>> you all. Although going through such a situation sometimes (or
>> often) causes subtle changes internally that are ususally, in the
>> long run, beneficial. Last Thursday nite our daughter was involved
>> in a serious car accident where the vehicle she was in ended up
>> rolling at least 2 times.


Glad your daughter is going to be ok Alleygator.

Debbie


  #34 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dimitri
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Sandi" > wrote in message
oups.com...

<snip>

> She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
> This is from the original post.
> "They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
> followed
> in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
>
> food for Rich and her soft doll. "
>
> Sandi


OK am I the only dumb one here?

Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.

I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t child?

Dimitri

Time to stand up and be counted!


  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
S'mee [AKA Jani]
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" > said:
> "Sandi" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> > She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
> > This is from the original post.
> > "They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
> > followed
> > in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
> > food for Rich and her soft doll. "
> >
> > Sandi

>
> OK am I the only dumb one here?
>
> Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.
>
> I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t child?
>
> Dimitri
>
> Time to stand up and be counted!


I did, I did! But I admit that at first, I thought it could be child OR
pet...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~


  #36 (permalink)   Report Post  
Thelma Lubkin
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dimitri > wrote:

: OK am I the only dumb one here?

: Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.

: I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t child?

How many people do you know who would be able to do CPR on a
cat, dog, bird, snake...?
--thelma
: Dimitri


  #37 (permalink)   Report Post  
Nancy Young
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Dimitri" > wrote
>
> "Sandi" > wrote in message


>> She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
>> This is from the original post.
>> "They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
>> followed
>> in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
>>
>> food for Rich and her soft doll. "


> OK am I the only dumb one here?
>
> Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.
>
> I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t child?


I thought it was obvious. I mean, if I called my paramedics to rush over
and take her to the hospital, only 'her' was my cat who had, oddly, turned
blue, they'd tell me to call a vet. That and Ranee's hysteria tells me it
was
something more than a family pet.

nancy


  #38 (permalink)   Report Post  
Debbie
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dimitri wrote:
>> "Sandi" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a
>>> child. This is from the original post.
>>> "They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
>>> followed
>>> in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her,
>>> some
>>>
>>> food for Rich and her soft doll. "
>>>
>>> Sandi

>>
>> OK am I the only dumb one here?
>>
>> Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.
>>
>> I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t
>> child?
>>

I did.

Debbie


  #39 (permalink)   Report Post  
Margaret Suran
 
Posts: n/a
Default



Dimitri wrote:
> "Sandi" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
>>She sure did give plenty of clues as to the fact that Amira is a child.
>>This is from the original post.
>>"They took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur
>>followed
>>in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
>>
>>food for Rich and her soft doll. "
>>
>>Sandi

>
>
> OK am I the only dumb one here?
>
> Assume will make an ass out of U and Me.
>
> I just wonder how many other people here knew the post was about t child?
>
> Dimitri
>
> Time to stand up and be counted!
>
>

Of course I knew it was a child. What or who else could it be. It
was scary to read about someone's child almost choking to death. Why
would I say a prayer for the child's health, when I was almost sure
that not anybody or anything in this Universe would hear it?

"Please, make sure that Amira will have no ill effects from her
choking incident" is what I shouted into space, hoping that it would
have some effect. Is an Atheist turning into an Agnostic?
  #40 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Sheldon" > said:

> Many folks here
> refer to their pets by name all the time without ever mentioning what
> type (ie. Dog3 does that all the time, as does Jill, Sheryl, and Damsel
> [hey, was years before I learned Crash wasn't a poodle - hehe],


I don't think that most RFCers know I have pets, let alone what their names
are. And you're wrong about Crash. He's a great dane.

Carp;
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The GOLD Prayer WTF[_2_] General Cooking 1 27-02-2010 12:01 AM
my prayer sf General Cooking 3 14-03-2006 08:40 PM
*A prayer!!!!!!* Pandora General Cooking 201 12-10-2005 01:51 PM
beer prayer Jeff Beer 6 01-03-2005 03:39 AM
A Prayer for Tofu Boy (1st Draft) Graeme Walker Barbecue 7 08-11-2003 06:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"