Old 11-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Ranee Mueller

Default OT Prayer Request

We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.

I was hysterical at first, but pulled it together enough to talk to
911, who our kids' godfather called for us, the boys were all at the
table and saw it happen, Elijah ran from the table in fear after his
dad took her up to the airport office to meet the paramedics.
Alexander is still really shaken up. I am extremely thankful to our
godson who saw it and told us right away, we would have lost much more
time, because we were trying to get the last of a late dinner put
together and on the table for the kids, and the adults were all in the
kitchen. We sent Matt out, because he is about 13, and we knew he
could keep an eye on the kids, and we are grateful for him.

She resuscitated in the van on the way to the office, on her own, and
they say that there doesn't appear to be any damage to her heart or
brain. She is cheerful today and being her normal friendly self. They
took her and Rich to the hospital in the ambulance, and Arthur followed
in our van with the carseat, with an extra set of clothes for her, some
food for Rich and her soft doll. The did some tests, checked her throat
and gave her some apple juice, both to hydrate her and for the pectin
for her throat.

She is understandably exhausted today. The doctors said that a
seizure like that is like running a mile sprint, only in the 45 seconds
or whatever it takes. We had her sleep in our room last night, for our
sake more than hers, and she woke up early this morning, at 5:00 am, and
never was I so thrilled to be kept awake by her. She was very thirsty
and hungry, as she only had about two bites of food before she choked,
and the apple juice at the hospital, so I gave her some water, and she
fell asleep again. When she woke up, I had fallen asleep again, and I
woke to her pulling on my toes, her little crib was at the foot of our
bed, and my feet were out of the covers. Rich made hard boiled
eggs, which are her favorite things, and she had a good appetite.

When I saw her blue and non-responsive, I was terrified. In fact, we
never saw her recover, and we didn't think Rich's CPR had done anything
to her, because she still wasn't breathing and she was limp and blue
when he left with her, but evidently he did dislodge the food, and
keeping her upside down kept it from going down the wrong pipe again, so
that was why she came out of it. I am so thankful. We are taking it
very slow and easy today. I haven't been so afraid in a long time, and
I don't think so gut wrenchingly so - even when we were terrified for
Elijah it was fear of the risk of what might or could happen, I saw her
and thought she was going to die, that we were going to lose her right
there, in front of our other children. Rich had to tell me to back off
and get out of the way, because I saw her and screamed.

All of the boys got to see her before bed and kiss her goodnight,
except for Elijah, and he was upstairs with Alexander sad and saying
that Amira had died. Alexander got us and we went and reassured him
that she was alive and sleeping in our room with us, and he wanted to
go sleep with her to comfort her. Even I who knew she was alright had
nightmares about it, that she was home and fine, and had her first meal
and choked again and we couldn't do anything about it. So, I'm still
pulling it together today and giving glory to God for his work in her.
It was such a blessing to have her to cuddle with this morning, and to
hear her laugh and see her smile.

The boys and I prayed together immediately after Rich and Arthur
left, which calmed us all down a bit. Rich was wonderful in how he took
care of Amira and comforting me when he checked in from the hospital.
The first passage of scripture I turned to in my Bible just flipping it
over was Psalm 121:

I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My
help comes from the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth. He will not
let your foot be moved, and he who watches over you will not fall
asleep. Behold, he who keeps watch over Israel shall neither slumber
nor sleep; the LORD himself watches over you; the LORD is your shade at
your right hand, so that the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the
moon by night. The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; it is he who
shall keep you safe. The LORD shall watch over your going out and your
coming in, from this time forth for evermore.

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Andy

Ranee,

How can anyone read your post without shedding a tear!

What else can I say except my prayers!

Amira and family, get well soon!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 PM
cathyxyz

Hope Amira (and all of you) will be ok. Our thoughts are with you. Know
what its like to almost lose a child shudder.
Cathy
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Sarah

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
[...]

What a terrible thing to happen. I'm so glad it was a happy ending. It's
lucky that you had someone who kept a cool head and knew CPR. One without
the other is not a lot of use. Sending a prayer of thanks for your good
fortune.
Sarah

Old 11-07-2005, 08:04 PM
itsjoannotjoann

Ranee Mueller wrote:
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Oh my goodness, prayers go out for all of you as I'm sure you were all
terrified when you saw this. Glad to hear she seems to have recovered
and was smiling this morning. You'll be shaken up for days to come but
do keep us posted on how she's doing.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Goomba38

Ranee Mueller wrote:

We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.

I'm sorry you had to experience this. Amazingly kids are so resilient
that she'll be over it LONG before you two. LOL

Perhaps a community CPR class would help reassure everyone (older kids
even?) particularly the Heimlich maneuver.

Take care and kiss little Amira for me
Goomba
Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Margaret Suran

Ranee Mueller wrote:
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.

Most of really frightening text was snipped.

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Prayers of thanks are going out. What an experience! I hope that all
will be well from now on.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Nexis

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.
The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Ranee,

My prayers are with Amira and all of you. Thank God there was someone
available who knew CPR and could keep a cool head. It is so easy to panic in
a situation like that. I know it will probably be a while before you feel
you can relax again, so I will say an extra prayer for your peace of mind.

kimberly

Old 11-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Puester

Ranee Mueller wrote:
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Regardless of what inspired him, Rich is a hero who
saved his daughter's life. I am happy for you that
all seems to have turned out well. I hope Amira
continues to show no symptoms of further problems.

Best wishes,
gloria p
Old 11-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Dimitri

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message

snip

The ambulance driver told Rich he had probably saved Amira's life,
and Rich said he knew that it was Someone else who did it.

Regards,
Ranee

Wow what a scare.

Please encourage the other children to deal with their "terror" (fear). They
need to deal with it quickly and if necessary professionally.

Hang in there.

Dimitri

Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Dan Goodman

Ranee Mueller wrote:

We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken
up about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to
die.

I'm an agnostic, but if you think a prayer from me would reach God....

Glad it turned out okay.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Nancy Young

"Ranee Mueller" wrote

We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure.

Ranee, that is the scariest story I've heard in a long time. I won't pray,
but you and your family are in my thoughts.

nancy

Old 11-07-2005, 11:06 PM
kilikini

"Ranee Mueller" wrote in message
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken up
about it. She is fine now, but we really thought she was going to die.
She choked, entered into hypoxia and then a seizure. Rich knows what
the stages of hypoxia are, though, and he said when he started CPR it
looked like she was about 45 seconds into it. The only question we had
was whether she had a seizure which sent her into the choking and
hypoxia or if it was the choking which caused the hypoxia and seizure.
Fortunately, it was the latter.

Ranee, my thoughts are with you. Although I have no children of my own
(can't have any, but I'm not unhappy about that), I can still sympathize
with you in your fears. Thank God your husband is a quick thinker in a
crisis and thought ahead to perform CPR! Hold that little one tightly;
we're all thinking of you.

kili

Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Debbie

Ranee Mueller wrote:
We nearly lost Amira to choking last night, and we're still shaken
up about it.

Oh my no wonder! What a scary experience for all of you. The poor children
having to see this.

Debbie

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Rick & Cyndi

"Andy" Q wrote in message
.. .
Ranee,

How can anyone read your post without shedding a tear!

What else can I say except my prayers!

Amira and family, get well soon!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

No doubt!!

Ranee, please note that I always try to keep everyone within the RFC and ACC
in my daily prayers! I am so happy to hear all is well.

Cyndi

The GOLD Prayer WTF[_2_] General Cooking 1 27-02-2010 12:01 AM
my prayer sf General Cooking 3 14-03-2006 08:40 PM
*A prayer!!!!!!* Pandora General Cooking 201 12-10-2005 01:51 PM
beer prayer Jeff Beer 6 01-03-2005 03:39 AM
A Prayer for Tofu Boy (1st Draft) Graeme Walker Barbecue 7 08-11-2003 06:58 PM