Pandora

Default BBQ SAUCE-foto and recipe.

I made this BBQ sauce last september. I put it in a little glass pot and
kept out of frigo. I often use to season my BBQ meat.
Recipe:
100 gr. (3,5 oz) of anchovies;
100 gr.(3,5oz) of sugar;
370 gr. (about 13-14oz) of black balsamic vinegar ;
1/2 glass of good dry white wine;
5 scallions;
3 garlic cloves;
1 lemon (only sauce);
4-5 dry hot chili peppers (the very small one; or, if big only one);
4-5 sage's leaves;
5-6 estragon's leaves;
2 laurel's leaves;
1 little branche of thyme;
2 spoons of dried mushrooms (boletus);
1/2 teaspoon of salt;
1 spoon not full of black pepper's grains;
5-6 peppermint's leaves;
3-4 juniper's berry;
(for this recipe you can use also dried herbs, but fresh are better)

Melt sugar in inox pot with fire at minimum. When the sugar begin to change
the color, take away from fire and mix it with the wine.
(If the melted sugar must wait, put it near a hot place to avoid that it
become hard).
Mince the scallions and add crushed pepper's grains , crushed garlic cloves
and the herbs. Mix all this things with the vinigar and put on fire in a pot
boiling till the liquid is just 3/4 of the original.
At this point, add the melt sugar and the other ingrdients of recipe (lemon
and minced anchovies). Boil for others 5 minutes mixing with a spoon.
Add the salt only if is necessary. Take away this sauce from the fire and
filtre it in a colander. The sauce is ready. taste and add other salt if you
want.
Put it in an ermetic glass pot.
It is VERY VERY GOOD for your barbeque meat!
Here the photos
http://tinypic.com/6yyxhw.jpg
http://tinypic.com/6yyxra.jpg
Cheers
Pandora

Phred

G'day Pandora,

In article >, "Pandora"
> wrote:
>I made this BBQ sauce last september. I put it in a little glass pot and
>kept out of frigo. I often use to season my BBQ meat.
>Recipe:
>100 gr. (3,5 oz) of anchovies;
>100 gr.(3,5oz) of sugar;
>370 gr. (about 13-14oz) of black balsamic vinegar ;
>1/2 glass of good dry white wine;
>5 scallions;
>3 garlic cloves;
>1 lemon (only sauce);
>4-5 dry hot chili peppers (the very small one; or, if big only one);
>4-5 sage's leaves;

[You don't need the possessive form for things like this, you can just
say "sage leaves" -- well, here in Oz you can anyway. :-) ]

>5-6 estragon's leaves;
>2 laurel's leaves;
>1 little branche of thyme;
>2 spoons of dried mushrooms (boletus);
>1/2 teaspoon of salt;
>1 spoon not full of black pepper's grains;
>5-6 peppermint's leaves;
>3-4 juniper's berry;

[In this case I think "juniper berries" would be more idiomatic.]

>(for this recipe you can use also dried herbs, but fresh are better)

Somehow I don't think this will make it into the next edition of "The
Four Ingredient Cookbook". ;-)

>Melt sugar in inox pot with fire at minimum. When the sugar begin to change
>the color, take away from fire and mix it with the wine.
>(If the melted sugar must wait, put it near a hot place to avoid that it
>become hard).
>Mince the scallions and add crushed pepper's grains , crushed garlic cloves
>and the herbs. Mix all this things with the vinigar and put on fire in a pot
>boiling till the liquid is just 3/4 of the original.
>At this point, add the melt sugar and the other ingrdients of recipe (lemon
>and minced anchovies). Boil for others 5 minutes mixing with a spoon.
>Add the salt only if is necessary. Take away this sauce from the fire and
>filtre it in a colander. The sauce is ready. taste and add other salt if you
>want. Put it in an ermetic glass pot.
>It is VERY VERY GOOD for your barbeque meat! Here the photos
>http://tinypic.com/6yyxhw.jpg [and] http://tinypic.com/6yyxra.jpg

It looks like the cat has already been fed! :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Pandora

"Phred" <
> It looks like the cat has already been fed! :-)

It's a fortune ))) Otherwise the cat would have jumped into the Barbeque.
ROTFLASTC!!!
Cheers Pandora.

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:
> "Phred" <
>
>>It looks like the cat has already been fed! :-)

> It's a fortune ))) Otherwise the cat would have jumped into the Barbeque.
> ROTFLASTC!!!
> Cheers Pandora.

ROTFLASTC??? Don't think I've heard that one before....
Translation, please
Cheers
Cathy
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> "Phred" <
>>
>>>It looks like the cat has already been fed! :-)

>> It's a fortune ))) Otherwise the cat would have jumped into the
>> Barbeque. ROTFLASTC!!!
>> Cheers Pandora.

> ROTFLASTC??? Don't think I've heard that one before....
> Translation, please
> Cheers
> Cathy

ROTFLASTC = Rolling On the Floor Laughing And Scaring The Cat !!!!!!!!!!!
)))))))))))
See this web page
http://www.geocities.com/dronak/abbrev.html?200513

Miaoooo!
Pandora

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Pandora wrote:
>>
>>>"Phred" <

>>>It's a fortune ))) Otherwise the cat would have jumped into the
>>>Barbeque. ROTFLASTC!!!
>>>Cheers Pandora.

>>ROTFLASTC??? Don't think I've heard that one before....
>>Translation, please
>>Cheers
>>Cathy

> ROTFLASTC = Rolling On the Floor Laughing And Scaring The Cat !!!!!!!!!!!
> )))))))))))
> See this web page
> http://www.geocities.com/dronak/abbrev.html?200513
>
> Miaoooo!
> Pandora

Good one...
The cat didn't look all that scared to me, though - looked rather
comfortable.... lucky thing. Food looked good too!

Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:

>>>ROTFLASTC??? Don't think I've heard that one before....
>>>Translation, please
>>>Cheers
>>>Cathy

>> ROTFLASTC = Rolling On the Floor Laughing And Scaring The Cat !!!!!!!!!!!
>> )))))))))))
>> See this web page
>> http://www.geocities.com/dronak/abbrev.html?200513
>>
>> Miaoooo!
>> Pandora

> Good one...
> The cat didn't look all that scared to me, though - looked rather
> comfortable.... lucky thing. Food looked good too!

Yes. I haven't scared the cat, ofcourse
He ate before two or three sausages ))) and after went to sleep!
))))))))
So! Do you appreciated the web page? Do you think is interesting?
Cheers
Pandora

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

>>>ROTFLASTC = Rolling On the Floor Laughing And Scaring The Cat !!!!!!!!!!!
>>>)))))))))))
>>>See this web page
>>>http://www.geocities.com/dronak/abbrev.html?200513
>>>
>>>Miaoooo!
>>>Pandora

>>Good one...
>>The cat didn't look all that scared to me, though - looked rather
>>comfortable.... lucky thing. Food looked good too!

> Yes. I haven't scared the cat, ofcourse
> He ate before two or three sausages ))) and after went to sleep!
> ))))))))
> So! Do you appreciated the web page? Do you think is interesting?
> Cheers
> Pandora

Yes, I found the link to the acronyms very amusing and interesting.
Thanks. I have seen several other sites, but not this particular one.
Thought your pictures were nice too. Always nice to be able to see what
other people are cooking/making. We do a similar thing here (in our
summer-time) but we call it a "braai". To you its a BBQ or grill... but
this has already been discussed to death on RFC, so I won't say too
much about it

I see you had rather nice looking sausages on your "grill". Do you make
your own sausages? We have something in South Africa called "boerewors"
- roughly translated, it means "farmer's sausage". It is very popular
here when we "braai".

Here's a local recipe for it:

Boerewors (spicy sausage)

1.5kg beef
1.5kg pork
500g bacon, diced
25ml salt
5ml ground pepper
50ml ground coriander
2ml freshly grated nutmeg
1ml ground cloves
2ml ground dried thyme
2ml ground allspice
125ml red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
50ml Worcestershire sauce
85g sausage casings

Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 inch cubes and mix it with all the
other ingredients except the sausage casings.

Grind the meat using a medium-course grinding plate

Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.

Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals.

Makes 3.5 kg

Enjoy
Cathy
Pandora

"cathyxyz" < wrote:
> Yes, I found the link to the acronyms very amusing and interesting.
> Thanks. I have seen several other sites, but not this particular one.
> Thought your pictures were nice too.

Thank you very much. I hope you send me some photos !

Always nice to be able to see what
> other people are cooking/making.

Yes. I agree with you!

We do a similar thing here (in our
> summer-time) but we call it a "braai". To you its a BBQ or grill... but
> this has already been discussed to death on RFC, so I won't say too much
> about it

I don't understand. Sorry. For Italian people BBQ is the one you saw in my
photos, while the grill is generally an electric thing.
Could you send me a photo of your "braai"?

> I see you had rather nice looking sausages on your "grill".

Yes! Here in Nothern Italy use very long sausages that sell in meters. Than
you cut with scissors and put on BBQ. In the Italian region Lombardia they
are called "Luganega" (Sausage very long). Instead, in the centre of Italy
use shorter and larger sausages ( I prefer the shorter and larger one).

Do you make
> your own sausages?

No, because it is very difficult to make a good product by ourselves.

We have something in South Africa called "boerewors"
> - roughly translated, it means "farmer's sausage". It is very popular here
> when we "braai".

Ohhhh!!! Send a photo please!

> Here's a local recipe for it:
>
> Boerewors (spicy sausage)
>
> 1.5kg beef
> 1.5kg pork
> 500g bacon, diced
> 25ml salt
> 5ml ground pepper
> 50ml ground coriander
> 2ml freshly grated nutmeg
> 1ml ground cloves
> 2ml ground dried thyme
> 2ml ground allspice
> 125ml red wine vinegar
> 1 clove garlic, crushed
> 50ml Worcestershire sauce
> 85g sausage casings
>
> Cut the beef and pork meat into 1.5 inch cubes and mix it with all the
> other ingredients except the sausage casings.
>
> Grind the meat using a medium-course grinding plate
>
> Fill the sausage casings firmly but not too tightly with the meat mixture.
>
> Can be fried, grilled or barbecued over coals.

Ohhh! But you must rolling this minced meat with a natural skin! How do you
do?
I want to try but I don't know how to roll! I don't want to make a long
hamburger!
Thank you for your clarifications.
Cheers
Pandora

Damsel

"Pandora" > said:

> Ohhh! But you must rolling this minced meat with a natural skin! How do you
> do?

There are machines tubes that you attach to meat grinder machines, and you
put the sausage casings (the intestines) on the tube. It's filled
automatically.

> I want to try but I don't know how to roll! I don't want to make a long
> hamburger!

A friend of mine who makes her own sausages says that the casings smell
like, "ass." Somehow, I can't bring myself to use them since hearing her
say that. LOL! When I make sausage, it's loose. I either form patties or
meatballs. Or just fry it the way it is, into crumbles.

Carol

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:

<some snipping>

> We do a similar thing here (in our
>
>>summer-time) but we call it a "braai". To you its a BBQ or grill... but
>>this has already been discussed to death on RFC, so I won't say too much
>>about it

> I don't understand. Sorry. For Italian people BBQ is the one you saw in my
> photos, while the grill is generally an electric thing.
> Could you send me a photo of your "braai"?

Our "braai" looks very similar to yours.... so I guess you would call it
a BBQ then. Sorry no photos at the moment - its winter over here and we
only do our "braaing" outside in nice weather...

<snipped>

> Ohhh! But you must rolling this minced meat with a natural skin! How do you
> do?
> I want to try but I don't know how to roll! I don't want to make a long
> hamburger!
> Thank you for your clarifications.
> Cheers
> Pandora

Damsel already answered that quite nicely... I don't have one of these
grinders and attachments, but my folks have a rather old one. My Dad
used to be the home-made boerewors maker!

Luckily boerewors is also available in all the butcheries and
supermarkets here, so we still buy it a lot. They have all sorts of
variations on the spices they use... I like a lot of garlic in mine.

Cheers
Cathy
cathyxyz

Damsel wrote:

> A friend of mine who makes her own sausages says that the casings smell
> like, "ass." Somehow, I can't bring myself to use them since hearing her
> say that. LOL! When I make sausage, it's loose. I either form patties or
> meatballs. Or just fry it the way it is, into crumbles.
>
> Carol

LOL. When my Dad used to make home-made "boerewors", I certainly don't
remember the casings smelling like "ass". I don't think I would have
eaten it! I am not sure what they make these casings out of these days,
I'll have to ask our butcher!
Cheers
Cathy
Pandora

"Damsel" wrote:
> A friend of mine who makes her own sausages says that the casings smell
> like, "ass."

"Ass" like animal or something like holes... )))

Somehow, I can't bring myself to use them since hearing her
> say that. LOL! When I make sausage, it's loose. I either form patties
> or
> meatballs. Or just fry it the way it is, into crumbles.

Yes. It should be like that! But if you have a sausage's machine you could
make a sausage!
The fact is that a fresh sausage need, IMHO, a little seasoning. Don't you
think so?
Any way I tell you an annedoct: Bismarck said that: "Politic is like
sausages: better don't look closely at how they are made".
Nice and true annedoct! Isn't it?
Pandora

> Carol

Pandora

"cathyxyz" < wrote:
> Our "braai" looks very similar to yours.... so I guess you would call it a
> BBQ then. Sorry no photos at the moment - its winter over here and we only
> do our "braaing" outside in nice weather...

Ohhh! I wait for the south Africa summer ))
Thank you.

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:
> "cathyxyz" < wrote:
>
>>Our "braai" looks very similar to yours.... so I guess you would call it a
>>BBQ then. Sorry no photos at the moment - its winter over here and we only
>>do our "braaing" outside in nice weather...

> Ohhh! I wait for the south Africa summer ))
> Thank you.

I'll see what I can do! It usually warms up here around
September/October....
Cheers
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Pandora

"cathyxyz" wrote:

> I'll see what I can do! It usually warms up here around
> September/October....

OK! I'll wait ! Thank you very much!

Cheers
Pandora

Frenchy

snip:
: Ohhh! But you must rolling this minced meat with a natural skin! How do
you
: do?
: I want to try but I don't know how to roll! I don't want to make a long
: hamburger!
: Thank you for your clarifications.
: Cheers
: Pandora
:

Salve Pandora

You can stuff sausage casings by hand with a decent sized funnel that has a
wide spout (about 15-20mm would be good at the exit end).

Wet and pull the sausage casing up over the spout, pulling it up as far as
it can go and packing it all together. Leave about 100 mm free and dangling
and tie a knot in the end

Make your sausage mixture (and boerewors is good, as that is also sold like
your Lugenega and rolled into a pinwheel for cooking) and part fill the
funnel. Now you need a tamping stick, anything that is almost the same and
just smaller than the diameter of the spout of the funnel. Start pushing
the meat mixture down and out the spout and tease the sausage casing off the
end as you push the meat into the casing with the plunger stick. Keep
filling more meat into the funnel and the long sausage comes out the other
end.

It is good for your boyfriend to hold this slowly getting bigger sausage
while you make it <smile>

The procedure is quite simple and makes a good sausage. Don't pack the meat
too tight into the casing or it will burst when cooking.

Ciao
Frenchy
In New Zealand

Damsel

"Pandora" > said:

> "Damsel" wrote:
> > A friend of mine who makes her own sausages says that the casings smell
> > like, "ass."

> "Ass" like animal or something like holes... )))

Like a rectum. <EG> (For those who know her, this was Hag)

> Somehow, I can't bring myself to use them since hearing her
> > say that. LOL! When I make sausage, it's loose. I either form patties
> > or meatballs. Or just fry it the way it is, into crumbles.

> Yes. It should be like that! But if you have a sausage's machine you could
> make a sausage!

I usually remove my store-bought fresh sausages from their casings and make
patties. To me, they're easier to cook that way, and you get a nice,
crispy edge over the whole surface.

> The fact is that a fresh sausage need, IMHO, a little seasoning. Don't you
> think so?

Definitely. I make my own "Italian" sausage for pizzas. Recipe below.

> Any way I tell you an annedoct: Bismarck said that: "Politic is like
> sausages: better don't look closely at how they are made".
> Nice and true annedoct! Isn't it?

I think I'm allergic to politics. ;-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Sausage

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : sausage

1 pound ground pork
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Combine ingredients thoroughly.

Cuisine:
"Italian"
Yield:
"1 pound"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Pandora

"Damsel" wrote:

> I usually remove my store-bought fresh sausages from their casings and
> make
> patties. To me, they're easier to cook that way, and you get a nice,
> crispy edge over the whole surface.

I have never tried. I thing they are very good and tasty.
Pandora

Nexis

"Pandora" > wrote in message
>I made this BBQ sauce last september. I put it in a little glass pot and
>kept out of frigo. I often use to season my BBQ meat.
> Recipe:
> 100 gr. (3,5 oz) of anchovies;
> 100 gr.(3,5oz) of sugar;
> 370 gr. (about 13-14oz) of black balsamic vinegar ;
> 1/2 glass of good dry white wine;
> 5 scallions;
> 3 garlic cloves;
> 1 lemon (only sauce);
> 4-5 dry hot chili peppers (the very small one; or, if big only one);
> 4-5 sage's leaves;
> 5-6 estragon's leaves;
> 2 laurel's leaves;
> 1 little branche of thyme;
> 2 spoons of dried mushrooms (boletus);
> 1/2 teaspoon of salt;
> 1 spoon not full of black pepper's grains;
> 5-6 peppermint's leaves;
> 3-4 juniper's berry;
> (for this recipe you can use also dried herbs, but fresh are better)
>
> Melt sugar in inox pot with fire at minimum. When the sugar begin to
> change the color, take away from fire and mix it with the wine.
> (If the melted sugar must wait, put it near a hot place to avoid that it
> become hard).
> Mince the scallions and add crushed pepper's grains , crushed garlic
> cloves and the herbs. Mix all this things with the vinigar and put on fire
> in a pot boiling till the liquid is just 3/4 of the original.
> At this point, add the melt sugar and the other ingrdients of recipe
> (lemon and minced anchovies). Boil for others 5 minutes mixing with a
> spoon.
> Add the salt only if is necessary. Take away this sauce from the fire and
> filtre it in a colander. The sauce is ready. taste and add other salt if
> you want.
> Put it in an ermetic glass pot.
> It is VERY VERY GOOD for your barbeque meat!
> Here the photos
> http://tinypic.com/6yyxhw.jpg
> http://tinypic.com/6yyxra.jpg
> Cheers
> Pandora

One question:
Where do you live?

:-)

kimberly

Pandora

"Nexis" wrote:
> One question:
> Where do you live?
>
> :-)
> kimberly
>>

>In Italy! Sorry for my bad English, of course!

Cheers
Pandora

Nexis

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" wrote:
>> One question:
>> Where do you live?
>>
>> :-)
>> kimberly
>>>

>>In Italy! Sorry for my bad English, of course!

> Cheers
> Pandora

Actually, I was asking because in the picture it looked like your grill was
in a rainforest :-)

kimberly

Pandora

"Nexis" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nexis" wrote:
>>> One question:
>>> Where do you live?
>>>
>>> :-)
>>> kimberly
>>>>

>>>In Italy! Sorry for my bad English, of course!

>> Cheers
>> Pandora

> Actually, I was asking because in the picture it looked like your grill
> was in a rainforest :-)

There is a little forest. Here there are many trees ))
Pandora

Today (Foto) Pandora General Cooking 13 23-01-2006 08:22 AM
New year day lunch (foto) Pandora General Cooking 9 03-01-2006 02:04 PM
Zuppa inglese (Foto). Pandora General Cooking 18 24-10-2005 03:59 PM
Carasau Bread Foto Pandora General Cooking 14 13-07-2005 08:47 AM
Fresh Pasta with zucchini's cream (foto) Pandora General Cooking 5 05-07-2005 08:05 AM