Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not food processor?

Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food processor?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:

> Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food processor?

Most meat is shredded _after_ it is cooked.

Two forks pulling across the grain of the meat.

donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:
> Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food processor?

What do you think of this? A reviewer said that she used it to shred
meat. See at

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...R1HHWRDZPNL2A7

Tiny url doesn't work. Sorry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Donald wrote:
> amanda wrote:
>
> > Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food processor?
> >

> Most meat is shredded _after_ it is cooked.

I see. Is there any thing that would shred raw meat. Shred might not
be the right word. Basically, what I want it is to cut chicken breast
and beef for stiry fry dishes. I don't mind choping the meat into big
chunks first but I want them in thinner slices like in Chinese in Thai
dishes. Is there anything I can use to do that?

> Two forks pulling across the grain of the meat.
>
> donald

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"amanda" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Donald wrote:
>> amanda wrote:
>>
>> > Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food
>> > processor?
>> >

>> Most meat is shredded _after_ it is cooked.

> I see. Is there any thing that would shred raw meat. Shred might not
> be the right word. Basically, what I want it is to cut chicken breast
> and beef for stiry fry dishes. I don't mind choping the meat into big
> chunks first but I want them in thinner slices like in Chinese in Thai
> dishes. Is there anything I can use to do that?

A sharp chef's knife and some elbow grease. Thin slices are easier if you
partially freeze the meat first.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"amanda" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> amanda wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as meat shredder, not as a part of food processor?

> What do you think of this? A reviewer said that she used it to shred
> meat. See at
>
> http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...R1HHWRDZPNL2A7
>
> Tiny url doesn't work. Sorry

If you go to the Hamilton Beach website (www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read
the manual for this unit and see recipes. All of the chicken recipes begin
with already cooked chicken. I doubt the reviewer shredded raw chicken. A
food processor turns raw chicken into puree, not shreds.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "amanda" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Donald wrote:

> >> Most meat is shredded _after_ it is cooked.

> > I see. Is there any thing that would shred raw meat. Shred might not
> > be the right word. Basically, what I want it is to cut chicken breast
> > and beef for stiry fry dishes. I don't mind choping the meat into big
> > chunks first but I want them in thinner slices like in Chinese in Thai
> > dishes. Is there anything I can use to do that?
> >

> A sharp chef's knife and some elbow grease. Thin slices are easier if you
> partially freeze the meat first.

I have hard enough time touching cold stuff out of the refrigerator.
Pure misery for my hands.

I'll just use ground meat, i.e stick to my original plan of getting a
meat grinder. I'd better decide today which one to buy and get it.

> --
> Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

johnschiap wrote:
[..]

> If you go to the Hamilton Beach website (www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read
> the manual for this unit and see recipes. All of the chicken recipes begin
> with already cooked chicken. I doubt the reviewer shredded raw chicken. A
> food processor turns raw chicken into puree, not shreds.

Thanks. I just placed the order for a meat grinder. I wonder how
those meat cuts in chinese stir fry dishes are done. I guess the chefs
or cooks know how to do it fast.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:
> johnschiap wrote:
> [..]
> > >

> > If you go to the Hamilton Beach website (www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read
> > the manual for this unit and see recipes. All of the chicken recipes begin
> > with already cooked chicken. I doubt the reviewer shredded raw chicken. A
> > food processor turns raw chicken into puree, not shreds.

> Thanks. I just placed the order for a meat grinder. I wonder how
> those meat cuts in chinese stir fry dishes are done. I guess the chefs
> or cooks know how to do it fast.

Typically, they pound the meat and then when it is then enough cut it
with a knife. I do not believe they use anything special. The main
thing is the make the meat thin enough so that it cooks quickly.

--
http://www.pansandmore.com
Cookware and Bakeware Reviews

Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline

Use hot pads. They'll insulate from cold as well as heat.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline

Use hot pads. They'll insulate from cold as well as heat.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jes wrote:
> Use hot pads. They'll insulate from cold as well as heat.

What kinds of hotpad? Any online picture you can show me?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:
> amanda wrote:
>
>>johnschiap wrote:
>>[..]
>>
>>>If you go to the Hamilton Beach website (
www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read
>>>the manual for this unit and see recipes. All of the chicken recipes begin
>>>with already cooked chicken. I doubt the reviewer shredded raw chicken. A
>>>food processor turns raw chicken into puree, not shreds.

>>Thanks. I just placed the order for a meat grinder. I wonder how
>>those meat cuts in chinese stir fry dishes are done. I guess the chefs
>>or cooks know how to do it fast.

> Typically, they pound the meat and then when it is then enough cut it
> with a knife. I do not believe they use anything special. The main
> thing is the make the meat thin enough so that it cooks quickly.
>
> --
> http://www.pansandmore.com
> Cookware and Bakeware Reviews

Well, I see that I'm too late but....

I have a Deni meat grinder and like it quite well.
Depending on the consistancy I'm looking for, I may use that
or just have at it with a chefs knife for larger uniform
sized pieces. For an "in-between" kind of thing, I'll cut
it into large pieces and then take two cleavers and with one
in each hand I'll just whack the hell out of the meat. Think
of a drum roll kind of motion. Works well and pretty quickly.

It all depends on the outcome that I have in my little pea
brain. ;-)

--
Steve

Old aunts used to poke me in the ribs at weddings cackling,
"you're next." They stopped after I started doing the same
to them at funerals.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"amanda" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Peter Aitken wrote:

>> A sharp chef's knife and some elbow grease. Thin slices are easier if you
>> partially freeze the meat first.

> I have hard enough time touching cold stuff out of the refrigerator.
> Pure misery for my hands.
>
> I'll just use ground meat, i.e stick to my original plan of getting a
> meat grinder. I'd better decide today which one to buy and get it.

How about wearing a wool glove with a rubber/latex medical glove over it?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin wrote:
> wrote:
> > amanda wrote:
> >
> >>johnschiap wrote:
> >>[..]

www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read

> >>Thanks. I just placed the order for a meat grinder. I wonder how
> >>those meat cuts in chinese stir fry dishes are done. I guess the chefs
> >>or cooks know how to do it fast.

> > Typically, they pound the meat and then when it is then enough cut it
> > with a knife. I do not believe they use anything special. The main
> > thing is the make the meat thin enough so that it cooks quickly.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.pansandmore.com
> > Cookware and Bakeware Reviews
> >

> Well, I see that I'm too late but....
>
> I have a Deni meat grinder and like it quite well.
> Depending on the consistancy I'm looking for, I may use that
> or just have at it with a chefs knife for larger uniform
> sized pieces. For an "in-between" kind of thing, I'll cut
> it into large pieces and then take two cleavers and with one
> in each hand I'll just whack the hell out of the meat. Think
> of a drum roll kind of motion. Works well and pretty quickly.
>
> It all depends on the outcome that I have in my little pea
> brain. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

OP, just make sure you put the meat to be pounded or flattened under
plastic wrap or it will go everywhere.

--
http://www.pansandmore.com
Cookware and Bakeware Reviews

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Peter Aitken wrote:
[ ]

> How about wearing a wool glove with a rubber/latex medical glove over it?

I do that. It's just difficult to acheieve the precision though.

But today, I accomplish something. I had cut boneless chicken breast
pieces into 1" x 1 1/2" and froze them by first putting in sandwich bag
before putting a bunch of these bags in a freezer bag. I got 2 packs of
them out and was letting them thaw out by the sink - I know some
people think it should be thawed only in the fridge or microwave. A
while ago, I noticed that they are not completely thawed yet but not
soft enough and are all stuck together (in each bag) forming a nice
rectangular shape and so I sliced them. I just wear the gloves used for
hair dying - I bought them on sale a while back - on my left hand and
then use serving fork to hold them till I had to use my hand to hold
them.

These vinyl golves fit really well, givign better functionality and I
have been using these when I need a good mixing of things by hand (Thai
salad) so that I don't have to scrub washing my hand so much as my
nail breaks easily and lately to even prepare my breakfast (so that I
won't have to wash my hand in cold water when I first get up.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

www.hamiltonbeach.com) you can read

> > > Typically, they pound the meat and then when it is then enough cut it
> > > with a knife. I do not believe they use anything special. The main
> > > thing is the make the meat thin enough so that it cooks quickly.
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.pansandmore.com
> > > Cookware and Bakeware Reviews
> > >

> > Well, I see that I'm too late but....
> >
> > I have a Deni meat grinder and like it quite well.
> > Depending on the consistancy I'm looking for, I may use that
> > or just have at it with a chefs knife for larger uniform
> > sized pieces. For an "in-between" kind of thing, I'll cut
> > it into large pieces and then take two cleavers and with one
> > in each hand I'll just whack the hell out of the meat. Think
> > of a drum roll kind of motion. Works well and pretty quickly.

Hey..that's a good idea. I'll try sometimes by keeping my left hand
out of the way.

> > It all depends on the outcome that I have in my little pea
> > brain. ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Steve

> OP, just make sure you put the meat to be pounded or flattened under
> plastic wrap or it will go everywhere.

Thanks.

> --
> http://www.pansandmore.com
> Cookware and Bakeware Reviews

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin wrote:
[..]
> Well, I see that I'm too late but....

No, not too late. I also need ground meat (quality ones) to make some
persian style kabab.

Talking about grinding, I wonder whether it would be a problem to use
very lean meat for beef (I'll use chicken breast for chicken meat) with
Back to Basics.

BTW, what kinds of cuts would give lean grounds beef.

> I have a Deni meat grinder and like it quite well.
> Depending on the consistancy I'm looking for, I may use that
> or just have at it with a chefs knife for larger uniform
> sized pieces. For an "in-between" kind of thing, I'll cut
> it into large pieces and then take two cleavers and with one
> in each hand I'll just whack the hell out of the meat.

>Think of a drum roll kind of motion. Works well and pretty quickly.
>
> It all depends on the outcome that I have in my little pea
> brain. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Old aunts used to poke me in the ribs at weddings cackling,
> "you're next." They stopped after I started doing the same
> to them at funerals.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:
[..]

> Hey..that's a good idea. I'll try sometimes by keeping my left hand
> out of the way.

I guess I should use my left hand (espeiclly since I have small hand)
too to whack them.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:
>>>Well, I see that I'm too late but....
>>>
>>>I have a Deni meat grinder and like it quite well.
>>>Depending on the consistancy I'm looking for, I may use that
>>>or just have at it with a chefs knife for larger uniform
>>>sized pieces. For an "in-between" kind of thing, I'll cut
>>>it into large pieces and then take two cleavers and with one
>>>in each hand I'll just whack the hell out of the meat. Think
>>>of a drum roll kind of motion. Works well and pretty quickly.

> Hey..that's a good idea. I'll try sometimes by keeping my left hand
> out of the way.

Nah, you've got to get 'em both going with cleavers to get
into a rhythm. Live dangerously. ;-) Honestly though, it
does work well if you are looking for a semi-course product.

--
Steve

Old aunts used to poke me in the ribs at weddings cackling,
"you're next." They stopped after I started doing the same
to them at funerals.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

amanda wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
> [..]
>
>>Well, I see that I'm too late but....

> No, not too late. I also need ground meat (quality ones) to make some
> persian style kabab.
>
> Talking about grinding, I wonder whether it would be a problem to use
> very lean meat for beef (I'll use chicken breast for chicken meat) with
> Back to Basics.
>
> BTW, what kinds of cuts would give lean grounds beef.

Heck, you can grind anything. Try it and see what you like.
I took an eye round roast out of the freezer recently. Very
low fat content. My "better half" happened to want burgers
that evening. <shrug> ok, I ground it up and didn't have any
extra fat to put into it so I'd *guess* it was around 7-10%
fat *tops*. I grilled the burgers med-rare (we like um that
way) and they were very good. Not as juicy as a 20% fat
burger but the flavor was excellent.

Go with what tastes good to you and throw the cookbooks out
('cept maybe for getting general ideas)