Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default Food processor meat grinding? pasta mixing? dough kneading?

Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model (came
with a second mini food processor as well).

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7

I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)

Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same for
for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for too
much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 3:24 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model (came
> with a second mini food processor as well).
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...
>
> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.
>
> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same for
> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for too
> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

What does the book that came with it say about pasta? I've never done
dough or pasta in a FP, only by hand or in my KitchenAid.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 3:24 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
>> (came
>> with a second mini food processor as well).
>>
>> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...
>>
>> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
>> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>>
>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>> thinking
>> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
>> or
>> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
>> soon.
>>
>> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same
>> for
>> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
>> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
>> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for
>> too
>> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

> What does the book that came with it say about pasta? I've never done
> dough or pasta in a FP, only by hand or in my KitchenAid.
>
> N.

It does not say anything about pasta at all, that was a prayer :-) It has
a bread dough attachment but the things I've read online are sort of hit and
miss. Some like, some don't but don't say why. I've never made bread.
Have you ever ground meat in yours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Peter > wrote:

>Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
>a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
>offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

This is secondhand, but according to Julia Child, a meat grinder works
better because you do not end up with chopped gristle in the meat.
Instead, the gristle stays in the screen of the grinder, where
you can manually remove it from time to time.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
> (came with a second mini food processor as well).
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7
>
> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
> thinking a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought
> ground meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can
> comment or offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder
> anytime soon.
>
> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same for
> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for too
> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

They say that grinding meat, the meat will be mushy. I've tried it, too; it
is mushy.

Bread kneading -- very good - Quite good.
There are many cookbooks written which include in the bread recipes: By
Hand, By Mixer, By Food Processor.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Lin Lin is offline

Nancy2 wrote:

> What does the book that came with it say about pasta? I've never done
> dough or pasta in a FP, only by hand or in my KitchenAid.

Bob has a Cuisinart food processor as well. Just this last week we
wanted to attempt a small batch of pasta dough to run through a
little, manual Atlas Mercato pasta maker that I brought into the
marriage, but have never used. It was an unsual experiment, to say the
least. We have the big KitchenAid mixer (two, actually) that we have
always done dough in, but thought for this smaller quantity we would
try the Cuisinart.

Not sure if it was the flour or the processor or technique, but we
could never get the dough right. We even tried different blades. The
thickness of the pasta strips were inconsistent, and had small holes
and tears as we worked it. Just need to stick with our fail-safe
KitchenAid next time.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Peter > wrote:
>
>>Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>>thinking
>>a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>>meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
>>or
>>offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

> This is secondhand, but according to Julia Child, a meat grinder works
> better because you do not end up with chopped gristle in the meat.
> Instead, the gristle stays in the screen of the grinder, where
> you can manually remove it from time to time.
>
> Steve

That makes sense. I would probably take care to properly cut out any
gristle and such first though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Peter" > wrote in message
>> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
>> (came with a second mini food processor as well).
>>
>> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7
>>
>> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
>> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>>
>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>> thinking a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store
>> bought ground meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly
>> and can comment or offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat
>> grinder anytime soon.
>>
>> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same
>> for for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker.
>> I usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
>> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for
>> too much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)
>>

> They say that grinding meat, the meat will be mushy. I've tried it, too;
> it is mushy.

Is it mushy even for a coarse grind? I wouldn't try and replicate a proper
sausage meat grind style, but something a little chunkier. I like chunkier
for chili and stroganoff.

> Bread kneading -- very good - Quite good.
> There are many cookbooks written which include in the bread recipes: By
> Hand, By Mixer, By Food Processor.

Thanks. I may give bread making a try for special occasions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 4:24?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model (came
> with a second mini food processor as well).
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...
>
> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
ought to buy a meat grinder.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 4:24?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
>> (came
>> with a second mini food processor as well).
>>
>> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...
>>
>> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
>> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>>
>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>> thinking
>> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
>> or
>> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
>> soon.

> A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
> ought to buy a meat grinder.
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my needs I
may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't want
to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts for
life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Peter wrote:

>>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>>> thinking
>>> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought
>>> ground meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly
>>> and can comment or
>>> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
>>> soon.

I have ground meat once with my Cuisinart Custom 11. The attachment
comes with two grinding plates - coarse and finer. I used boneless
chuck, cut into strips, and had no problems using the coarser plate. A
second grind would have been beneficial, though.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

> I have ground meat once with my Cuisinart Custom 11. The attachment
> comes with two grinding plates - coarse and finer. I used boneless
> chuck, cut into strips, and had no problems using the coarser plate. A
> second grind would have been beneficial, though.
>
> Dora

Scratch what I said, Peter. I got mixed up - I haven't ground meat
using the Cuisinart but have ground it using my Kitchenaid mixer with a
grinder attachment. My apologies. I'm tired.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 6:45?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Oct 25, 4:24?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> >> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
> >> (came
> >> with a second mini food processor as well).

> >>http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...

> >> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> >> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)

> >> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
> >> thinking
> >> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> >> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
> >> or
> >> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
> >> soon.

> > A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
> > ought to buy a meat grinder.

> > Sheldon

> Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my needs I
> may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't want
> to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts for
> life.

You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
slightly smaller Moulinex and it works great:
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...t-grinder.aspx

I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
years ago... he
http://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...115252&cid=CC5

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
> (came with a second mini food processor as well).
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7
>
> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
> thinking a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought
> ground meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can
> comment or offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder
> anytime soon.

Try this
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._10214,00.html

Here is the episode number, but I just don't remember how to use it.
Episode EA1B11 The benefit of being able to read the episode is that I
believe he elaborates further on using the food processor for chopping meat.
Maybe someone else can help with finding the episode?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 8:14?pm, "limey" > wrote:
> > I have ground meat once with my Cuisinart Custom 11. The attachment
> > comes with two grinding plates - coarse and finer. I used boneless
> > chuck, cut into strips, and had no problems using the coarser plate. A
> > second grind would have been beneficial, though.

> > Dora

> Scratch what I said, Peter. I got mixed up - I haven't ground meat
> using the Cuisinart but have ground it using my Kitchenaid mixer with a
> grinder attachment. My apologies. I'm tired.

Good thing you don't do circumcisions. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 4:42?pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Peter > wrote:
> >Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
> >a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> >meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
> >offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

> This is secondhand, but according to Julia Child, a meat grinder works
> better because you do not end up with chopped gristle in the meat.
> Instead, the gristle stays in the screen of the grinder, where
> you can manually remove it from time to time.

Not true. I never saw a meat grinder with a screen. If you put
gristle in it will grind it... will even grind small bones, will grind
poultry bones easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Sheldon wrote:

> Not true. I never saw a meat grinder with a screen. If you put
> gristle in it will grind it... will even grind small bones, will grind
> poultry bones easily.

I have only seen a few small hand powered meat grinders and they all had a
screen in them There is a disk that screws into the end with holes in it
through which the ground meat is extruded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 3:24 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model (came
> with a second mini food processor as well).
>
> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...

I don't think that one has a citrus juicer.

> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.

The only time I grind meat is to use for stuffing pasta like ravioli
and manicotti. It pulverizes the beef and spinach nicely.

> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same for
> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for too
> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

I looked at the website, and you can order a dough blade for that
model. I'd say that if Cuisinart says it works, it probably does. I
love my Little Pro Plus.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 9:23?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Not true. I never saw a meat grinder with a screen. If you put
> > gristle in it will grind it... will even grind small bones, will grind
> > poultry bones easily.

> I have only seen a few small hand powered meat grinders and they all had a
> screen in them There is a disk that screws into the end with holes in it
> through which the ground meat is extruded.

That's the grinding plate, won't hold anything back

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 18:45:38 -0400, "Peter" > wrote:

>> A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
>> ought to buy a meat grinder.

>Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my needs I
>may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't want
>to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts for
>life.

Jeez, I've never agreed with Sheldon before, but he's right about this. 8;(

Food processors shred the meed rather than extruding it. Two important points:
you need to first chill the meat and cut the meet into 3/4 or 1 inch cubes, then
pulse it in the processor, and you will get something usable for burgers, meat
loaf, and such.

However, a meat grinder is far, far better. The meat grinder attachment for
Kitchen Aid mixers does fine, but something much beefier (NPI) with standard
grinder plates is better yet. Avoid the common WalMart / Target names like Rival
-- their toys are not nearly as capable as others available for the same price.

Two excellent sources a

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/mea...ders_food.aspx (scroll past the
commercial grinders to the bottom of the page for the Maverick ($99.95) and
Back-to-Basics ($89.95) grinders).

and http://www.sausagemaker.com/ (the TSM-8 at $99.95, as well as a great
selection of grinder plates and parts).

These or similar grinders are often available on eBay, but -- shipping
considered -- no better buys, in my experience.

I have the Maverick, with an extra coarse plate for making chili, and I'm very
happy with it. I do at least ten pounds at a time, and it doesn't break a sweat.
Much better than the KA attachment I used before.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
says...
> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model (came
> with a second mini food processor as well).

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7

> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>
> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was thinking
> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment or
> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime soon.
>
> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same for
> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for too
> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

I use my food processor to make pasta dough. I use approximately 2/3 cup
of flour to each egg. In the machine, turn it on and let 'er rip.

If you want to use it for bread kneading, there are many bread cookbooks
that include food processor versions of the recipes.

Not so great for grinding meat. I use the attachment for my Kenwood
mixer. Fast and good.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Oct 25, 8:14?pm, "limey" > wrote:

>> Scratch what I said, Peter. I got mixed up - I haven't ground meat
>> using the Cuisinart but have ground it using my Kitchenaid mixer with a
>> grinder attachment. My apologies. I'm tired.

> Good thing you don't do circumcisions. hehe

<ROFL>

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:42:49 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

>You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
>slightly smaller Moulinex and it works great:
>http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...t-grinder.aspx

Ooh..it can stuff sausages too. I see this in my future. (Shaddup,
Boli!!)
Seriously, I have been wanting a meat grinder too, with a sausage
stuffer. The book Charcuterie has some great sausages in it..that I
am dying to try. Andouille, anyone?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:42:49 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:
>

>> You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from
>> my slightly smaller Moulinex and it works great:
>> http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...t-grinder.aspx
>>

> Ooh..it can stuff sausages too. I see this in my future. (Shaddup,
> Boli!!)
> Seriously, I have been wanting a meat grinder too, with a sausage
> stuffer. The book Charcuterie has some great sausages in it..that I
> am dying to try. Andouille, anyone?

You recipe please young lady)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Sheldon wrote:

> On Oct 25, 9:23?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > Not true. I never saw a meat grinder with a screen. If you put
> > > gristle in it will grind it... will even grind small bones, will grind
> > > poultry bones easily.

> > I have only seen a few small hand powered meat grinders and they all had a
> > screen in them There is a disk that screws into the end with holes in it
> > through which the ground meat is extruded.

> That's the grinding plate, won't hold anything back

Call is a grinding plate if you want. It has holes in it so it qualifies as
a screen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:53:52 +0100, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> Ooh..it can stuff sausages too. I see this in my future. (Shaddup,
>> Boli!!)
>> Seriously, I have been wanting a meat grinder too, with a sausage
>> stuffer. The book Charcuterie has some great sausages in it..that I
>> am dying to try. Andouille, anyone?

>You recipe please young lady)

Oh, I just have the book Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman. I haven't
looked lately....

You really, really expect me to be that diligent and copy out that
recipe? Surely you jest...LOL. I am so lazy..I can't even get
myself to copy a simple recipe for anyone, much less a complicated one
like that!!! I have recipes on backlog...that I should copy out..and
post..but I haven't.....

I am so very bad...

Christine, hanging head in a little bit of shame...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 3:38 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > On Oct 25, 3:24 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> >> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
> >> (came
> >> with a second mini food processor as well).

> >>http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...

> >> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
> >> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)

> >> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
> >> thinking
> >> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
> >> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
> >> or
> >> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
> >> soon.

> >> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same
> >> for
> >> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
> >> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
> >> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for
> >> too
> >> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

> > What does the book that came with it say about pasta? I've never done
> > dough or pasta in a FP, only by hand or in my KitchenAid.

> > N.

> It does not say anything about pasta at all, that was a prayer :-) It has
> a bread dough attachment but the things I've read online are sort of hit and
> miss. Some like, some don't but don't say why. I've never made bread.
> Have you ever ground meat in yours?- Hide quoted text -

Only cooked meat, like leftover ham or turkey for ham salad or turkey
croquettes, but I've done those with my KitchenAid mixer's grinding
attachment.

I'd think using the FP might make something more like a meat paste,
but maybe your FP has slower speeds. I've got kind of an old Hamilton
Beach one that has one speed.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Oct 25, 7:42 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Oct 25, 6:45?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> > > A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
> > > ought to buy a meat grinder.

> > > Sheldon

> > Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my needs I
> > may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't want
> > to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts for
> > life.

> You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
> slightly smaller Moulinex and it works great:http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...sional-meat-gr...
>
> I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
> years ago... hehttp://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...x?pid=115252&c...
>
> Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

You can buy a hand grinder - the kind like grandma used to clamp onto
the edge of the kitchen table. They work great; they're easy to
clean, and there's nothing that ever breaks, really.

http://tinyurl.com/ypyfxv

Lehmans is a great source for old-fashioned, reliable stuff - and
grinding meat isn't so hard, even for me. The one I have is probably
at least 75 years old - and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:53:52 +0100, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> Ooh..it can stuff sausages too. I see this in my future. (Shaddup,
>>> Boli!!)
>>> Seriously, I have been wanting a meat grinder too, with a sausage
>>> stuffer. The book Charcuterie has some great sausages in it..that I
>>> am dying to try. Andouille, anyone?

>> You recipe please young lady)
>>

> Oh, I just have the book Charcuterie, by Michael Ruhlman. I haven't
> looked lately....
>
> You really, really expect me to be that diligent and copy out that
> recipe? Surely you jest...LOL. I am so lazy..I can't even get
> myself to copy a simple recipe for anyone, much less a complicated one
> like that!!! I have recipes on backlog...that I should copy out..and
> post..but I haven't.....
>
> I am so very bad...
>
> Christine, hanging head in a little bit of shame...

Nahh don't do that) I forgive you) xxx

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Nancy2 wrote:
> [...]

Whatever kind of grinder you have, it can only be better than buying ready
ground meat.

How do you know 'what' they put in with that ewwwwwwwwww!! Much better to
buy a piece of meat and grind it yourself!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 7:42 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On Oct 25, 6:45?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>>

>> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

>> oups.com...

>> > Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my
>> > needs I
>> > may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't
>> > want
>> > to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts
>> > for
>> > life.

>> You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
>> slightly smaller Moulinex and it works
>> great:http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...sional-meat-gr...
>>
>> I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
>> years ago...
>> hehttp://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...x?pid=115252&c...
>>
>> Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

> You can buy a hand grinder - the kind like grandma used to clamp onto
> the edge of the kitchen table. They work great; they're easy to
> clean, and there's nothing that ever breaks, really.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ypyfxv
>
> Lehmans is a great source for old-fashioned, reliable stuff - and
> grinding meat isn't so hard, even for me. The one I have is probably
> at least 75 years old - and there's nothing wrong with it at all.
>
> N.

That looks interesting, good price too. I don't use ground meat often
enough to worry about getting an electric model. Looks like not much could
go wrong with that one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 3:24 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
>> (came
>> with a second mini food processor as well).
>>
>> http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...=30&item_id=59...
>>

> I don't think that one has a citrus juicer.

Not that I'm aware of

>> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
>> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>>
>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>> thinking
>> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
>> or
>> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
>> soon.

> The only time I grind meat is to use for stuffing pasta like ravioli
> and manicotti. It pulverizes the beef and spinach nicely.
>>
>> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same
>> for
>> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
>> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
>> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for
>> too
>> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)

> I looked at the website, and you can order a dough blade for that
> model. I'd say that if Cuisinart says it works, it probably does. I
> love my Little Pro Plus.
>
> --Bryan

It came with the dough blade. I'll give it a go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jerry Bank" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> says...
>> Received a cuisinart food processor for a wedding gift, a 7 cup model
>> (came
>> with a second mini food processor as well).

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/pro...id=59&cat_id=7

>> I've only had it 3 days but so far made a nice cheese dip and used to it
>> fine chop cabbage for chinese dumplings :-)
>>
>> Is it worth my time in effort to grind my own meat with it? I was
>> thinking
>> a coarser grind would be nicer compared to the usual store bought ground
>> meats for many dishes. Does anyone here do this regularly and can comment
>> or
>> offer advice? I don't envision buying a proper meat grinder anytime
>> soon.
>>
>> How well does it work for bread kneading? Better to do by hand? Same
>> for
>> for pasta. I *love* home made pasta and I do not have a pasta maker. I
>> usualy do it by hand every couple weeks and roll it out myself. Is it
>> possible to use this machine to mix my pasta for me or am I hoping for
>> too
>> much? Rolling is the easy part IMHO, mixing is the annoying part :-)
>>

> I use my food processor to make pasta dough. I use approximately 2/3 cup
> of flour to each egg. In the machine, turn it on and let 'er rip.
>
> If you want to use it for bread kneading, there are many bread cookbooks
> that include food processor versions of the recipes.
>
> Not so great for grinding meat. I use the attachment for my Kenwood
> mixer. Fast and good.
> --

So it does OK for pasta? Going to have to give that a go tonight I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 25, 7:42 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>> On Oct 25, 6:45?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
>>

>> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

>> oups.com...

>> > Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my
>> > needs I
>> > may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't
>> > want
>> > to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts
>> > for
>> > life.

>> You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
>> slightly smaller Moulinex and it works
>> great:http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...sional-meat-gr...
>>
>> I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
>> years ago...
>> hehttp://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...x?pid=115252&c...
>>
>> Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

> You can buy a hand grinder - the kind like grandma used to clamp onto
> the edge of the kitchen table. They work great; they're easy to
> clean, and there's nothing that ever breaks, really.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ypyfxv
>
> Lehmans is a great source for old-fashioned, reliable stuff - and
> grinding meat isn't so hard, even for me. The one I have is probably
> at least 75 years old - and there's nothing wrong with it at all.
>
> N.

Be careful (nowadays?) buying a hand-grinder for grinding meat. I bought
one maybe 7 years ago, and it didn't last but one or two grindings before
the finish (was it tinned?) came off in tiny pieces. I wasn't even grinding
meat with it. It wasn't exactly cheap, either, maybe $80 at that time. I
learned my lesson buying something while traveling; I never returned it, so
I'm still a little ticked.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Be careful (nowadays?) buying a hand-grinder for grinding meat. I bought
> one maybe 7 years ago, and it didn't last but one or two grindings before
> the finish (was it tinned?) came off in tiny pieces. I wasn't even
> grinding meat with it. It wasn't exactly cheap, either, maybe $80 at that
> time. I learned my lesson buying something while traveling; I never
> returned it, so I'm still a little ticked.
>
> Dee Dee

Thrify/charity shops are great resources for old fashioned tools like these.
I have a bunch of things that the modern equivalents were crappy, but the
old ones work on... and on...

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Dee Dee" wrote:
> "Nancy2"
> > Sheldon wrote:

> >> You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
> >> slightly smaller Moulinex and it works
> >> great:http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...sional-meat-gr...

> >> I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
> >> years ago...
> >> hehttp://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...x?pid=115252&c...

> > You can buy a hand grinder - the kind like grandma used to clamp onto
> > the edge of the kitchen table. They work great; they're easy to
> > clean, and there's nothing that ever breaks, really.

> >http://tinyurl.com/ypyfxv

> > Lehmans is a great source for old-fashioned, reliable stuff - and
> > grinding meat isn't so hard, even for me. The one I have is probably
> > at least 75 years old - and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

> > N.

> Be careful (nowadays?) buying a hand-grinder for grinding meat. I bought
> one maybe 7 years ago, and it didn't last but one or two grindings before
> the finish (was it tinned?) came off in tiny pieces. I wasn't even grinding
> meat with it. It wasn't exactly cheap, either, maybe $80 at that time. I
> learned my lesson buying something while traveling; I never returned it, so
> I'm still a little ticked.
>
> Dee Dee

Like anything else hand grinders are made in many quality levels, you
get what you pay for. A quality hand grinder costs just as much as a
quality electric grinder... in fact there are kits available for
converting a quality hand grinder to motorized.

I don't recommend a hand grinder, they don't work nearly as well as a
motorized grinder, the results are not very good because it's near
impossible to maintain constant speed for more than about a minute,
they are slow, and probably won't get used very much if at all because
they require a lot of muscle... most people employ a helper, one
grinds one feeds... there are lots of accidents... never have a helper
when using any grinder, in fact no one else should be in the kitchen,
meat grinders require ones full attention. Hand meat grinders were
once very popular with hunters because they had no electricity at
their lodge, it was plenty cold so they needed no electricity for
refrigeration but they had no choice about the grinder, now they have
lightweight portable generators. Serious hunters don't bring back
the entire animal, they dress, butcher out the prime sections and
grind the remainder... they come home with a manageable sized
package. I have two long time friends I worked with for over 25 years
who at least once a year go elk hunting in Alaska, they're flown in
and picked up ten days later. They need to butcher the meat and leave
all the scrap because of weight limitations with those small planes.
There's more involved with rules about sharing with the natives but
that's the gist of it.

It wasn't all that many years ago that people had no electricity in
their homes either, so hand meat grinders were used. My grand
parents used hand grinders, they cooked with wood and coal, they had
no electric, they used gas lights, and an ice box because a gas fridge
was too costly... and this was in NYC... my parents had a gas stove
but still we had an icebox until I was ten years old, we heated with
coal too. But these days most everyone takes electric for granted,
anyone who is desirous of a hand grinder instead of electric is merely
on a nostalgia trip... you'll use it once and relagate it to the
basement. I can just see yoose finding a place to clamp it where it
won't damage your fancy schmancy furniture... oh, it'll fit nicely on
the end of your granite counter (crack). People can afford mega bucks
designer kitchens and all sorts of expensive appliances but can't
scrape up the few bucks for a decent meat grinder.

You can buy a pretty good little electric meat grinder for home use
for $100, but for a few dollars more you can get one the next size up
that works far better. Not a week goes by I don't use my meat grinder
for something other than grinding meat so it's not money spent on
something that sits around collecting dust. A meat grinder does many
common kitchen chores with much better results than with a food
processor... the beauty of a meat grinder is that everything passes
through the business end just once, nothing can get over processed...
you have total control over the grind from beginning to end, every bit
comes out with the exact same consistancy.

You can't grind meat with a food processor, anyone says they can is
fooling themself... in fact you can't grind anything with a food
processor, not any meats, not nuts, not bread crumbs, nothing... a
meat grinder even does a better job of grating hard vegetables;
potatoes, carrots, onions, etc.

I like my new Waring Pro for many reasons, one being it's taller than
typical home grinders, with my old smaller grinder there was always a
problem with finding a large bowl that was also low enough to fit.
Most times I had to use a platter to catch whatever I was grinding and
then tranfer to a mixing bowl, just created something else to clean...
not a big thing but with the taller grinder I have many more choices
of what to use to catch food plus it's just generally a more
comfortable work height. Of course with the larger grinding head the
grind is a much nicer consistancy... with smaller grinding heads
there's more back pressure, which creates smearing. Even with larger
grinders if you want a finer grind it's usually more preferable to
grind twice than to use a plate with smaller holes.

I'm convinced it's psychological, people are truly embarassed for
anyone to know they need to grind their own meat because they can't
afford the so-called luxury of store ground... there is no other
logical explanation for why people are so adverse to owning a meat
grinder, other than that they are so obstinate that their stubborness
can't be other than construed as a psychological illness.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have only seen a few small hand powered meat grinders and they all had a
> screen in them There is a disk that screws into the end with holes in it
> through which the ground meat is extruded.

Both of my meat grinders have those types of screens also. I think the
other person thinks of a screen as a screen mesh or similar.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:

> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > I have only seen a few small hand powered meat grinders and they all had a
> > screen in them There is a disk that screws into the end with holes in it
> > through which the ground meat is extruded.

> Both of my meat grinders have those types of screens also. I think the
> other person thinks of a screen as a screen mesh or similar.

There is nothing that says a screen has to a fine wire mesh that you put
over your windows to keep our the bugs. The whiles in a screen can be
several inches in diameter and it is still screen. They use screens with
with openings a foot or more across in quarries to sort gravel by size.
They have huge openings, but they are still screens.

Methinks that someone was just being anal, and that is a bad thing to be
when you are wrong.
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
aem aem is offline

On Oct 26, 9:03 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Oct 25, 7:42 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 25, 6:45?pm, "Peter" > wrote:

> > > "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > oups.com...

> > > Sheldon, I'll probably give this a go and if it does not satisfy my needs I
> > > may end up doing so. Suggestions for brand names and models? I don't want
> > > to sacrifice an early retirement on one but I would want one that lasts for
> > > life.

> > You can spend a lot more but I bought this Waring as a step up from my
> > slightly smaller Moulinex and it works great:http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...sional-meat-gr...

> > I think if you shop around you can find it for less, I paid $160 two
> > years ago... hehttp://www.homeclick.com/web/catalog...x?pid=115252&c...

> > Sheldon- Hide quoted text -

> You can buy a hand grinder - the kind like grandma used to clamp onto
> the edge of the kitchen table. They work great; they're easy to
> clean, and there's nothing that ever breaks, really.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ypyfxv
>
> Lehmans is a great source for old-fashioned, reliable stuff - and
> grinding meat isn't so hard, even for me. The one I have is probably
> at least 75 years old - and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

You can, yes, but I switched from a hand grinder to an electric one
several years ago and the reduced work is considerable. I use it much
more often than I ever did the hand grinder. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> A food processor is far better than mystery meat... but you really
> ought to buy a meat grinder.

I would like to add to this that unless you are a heavy duty user, you
can likely find one that will suit you at a thrift shop, flea market,
garage sale or estate sale. I have two, both purchased used this way.
They don't appear every day, it takes a little patience and persistence,
but $2 for a meat grinder compared to $80 or more is a worthy price
difference to make the patience worthwhile.

jt