Bob

Default Firing up the grill for the first time this year

Now that I'm back from Virginia and summer is coming on strong, it's time to
get to grilling! I went grocery shopping last night and came home with
chicken thighs, chicken breasts, lamb chops, a selection of sausages
(bratwurst, Polish sausage, knockwurst, Hebrew National Dinner Franks, and
Nathan's franks), and pork chops. The chicken thighs were on the top of the
heap, so they're the first chosen for dinner.

Here's what I'm making tonight:

Grilled Jerk Chicken
Pineapple-Jicama Relish
Black Beans with Sofrito
Yellow Rice
Tossed Salad with Ginger-Lemon Vinaigrette
Mango-Lime-Rum Cooler

(The beans and rice were cooked on my patio. Why heat up the house
unnecessarily?)

What are the rest of us having for dinner tonight?

Bob

Maverick

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Now that I'm back from Virginia and summer is coming on strong, it's time

> get to grilling! I went grocery shopping last night and came home with
> chicken thighs, chicken breasts, lamb chops, a selection of sausages
> (bratwurst, Polish sausage, knockwurst, Hebrew National Dinner Franks, and
> Nathan's franks), and pork chops. The chicken thighs were on the top of

the
> heap, so they're the first chosen for dinner.
>
> Here's what I'm making tonight:
>
> Grilled Jerk Chicken
> Pineapple-Jicama Relish
> Black Beans with Sofrito
> Yellow Rice
> Tossed Salad with Ginger-Lemon Vinaigrette
> Mango-Lime-Rum Cooler
>
> (The beans and rice were cooked on my patio. Why heat up the house
> unnecessarily?)
>
> What are the rest of us having for dinner tonight?
>
> Bob

That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually stop
grilling during the winter? I've been known to be seen standing at the
grill when there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground. About the only
things that will make me not grill is if the temperature drops below 20
degrees or high winds, which tend to get quite a bit of around the panhandle
of Nebraska.

Still, I managed to go through 80lbs of propane in about a year so I bought
another 20lb'er. I've got my 3-burner propane stove setup in the garage on
my camp kitchen so I don't just grill. My neighbors think I'm nuts though.
Last August when the temps here were hitting 100 degrees, I made homemade
spaghetti in the garage. At least my house didn't get all heated up from
it, which is what I was after. All it takes is proper prep work in the
house and a somewhat willing son to help out.

Bret

sethra

"Maverick" > wrote in
:

> That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually
> stop grilling during the winter? I've been known to be seen standing
> at the grill when there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.

We grill year-round in Arizona.

Yes, it gets bloody hot in the summer, but nothing beats hanging out at the
grill in February, clad in shorts and a tee shirt, enjoying a beer whilst
grilling some steaks or bratwurst and having some less fortunate friends or
relatives call, complaining about the six inches of snow and below-zero
wind chill, and ask you, "So, what're you doing?"

--
~sethra
Bob

Maverick wrote:

> That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually
> stop grilling during the winter?

I *like* using my oven and stovetop, but not in the summer. The fact is, I
like a tremendous variety of foods. Most of those foods require the oven or
stovetop to be used. It makes more sense to use the oven in the winter and
the grill in the summer rather than vice versa.

There's enough summer that I can grill as much as I *want* to grill, and
there's enough non-summer that I can cook via other means to the degree that
I want.

Bob

Puester

Bob wrote:

> Now that I'm back from Virginia and summer is coming on strong, it's time to
> get to grilling! I went grocery shopping last night and came home with
> chicken thighs, chicken breasts, lamb chops, a selection of sausages
> (bratwurst, Polish sausage, knockwurst, Hebrew National Dinner Franks, and
> Nathan's franks), and pork chops. The chicken thighs were on the top of the
> heap, so they're the first chosen for dinner.
>
> Here's what I'm making tonight:
>
> Grilled Jerk Chicken
> Pineapple-Jicama Relish
> Black Beans with Sofrito
> Yellow Rice
> Tossed Salad with Ginger-Lemon Vinaigrette
> Mango-Lime-Rum Cooler
>
> (The beans and rice were cooked on my patio. Why heat up the house
> unnecessarily?)
>
> What are the rest of us having for dinner tonight?
>
> Bob

Our grill gets 12 month usage, even when we have
to shovel a path to it. Dear son came down to Denver
from the mts. and we used it today to grill filets.
We also had mashed cauliflower (faux potatoes),
fresh asparagus, stuffed mushrooms, and a salad.
No dessert as we are on the South Beach diet, but
I sent him home with a still-warm rhubarb pie for
his enjoyment.

gloria p
who wished she could have rationalized
having a slice of that pie!

PENMART01

> "Bob" virtualgoth writes:
>
>Maverick wrote:
>
>> That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually
>> stop grilling during the winter?

>I *like* using my oven and stovetop, but not in the summer. The fact is, I
>like a tremendous variety of foods. Most of those foods require the oven or
>stovetop to be used. It makes more sense to use the oven in the winter and
>the grill in the summer rather than vice versa.
>
>There's enough summer that I can grill as much as I *want* to grill, and
>there's enough non-summer that I can cook via other means to the degree that
>I want.

I live upstate NY, all four seasons here, and I grill all year... cold doesn't
deter me, not even snow, but I don't grill when it's raining, and I'd much
rather grill on a crisp cold clear winter night than during mid summer when
it's HOT, hummid, and buggy... like how long does it take to grill something
anyway, even a two inch thick london broil is done before my second glass of
wine. And with a great Weber there's no need to tend the grill -- light it and
step indoors while it heats. Then outside to slap on yer big meat, shut the
lid, and lower the heat. Step indoors and hit the timer for 6 minutes -- back
out after six and flip yer big meat to cook another 6. That's it... don't spend
more than 3 minutes outdoors... the goblet of dago red in my right hand doesn't
even catch a chill, 'cause I only need one hand to do my big meat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
BOB

Bob wrote:
> Now that I'm back from Virginia and summer is coming on strong, it's time to
> get to grilling! I went grocery shopping last night and came home with
> chicken thighs, chicken breasts, lamb chops, a selection of sausages
> (bratwurst, Polish sausage, knockwurst, Hebrew National Dinner Franks, and
> Nathan's franks), and pork chops. The chicken thighs were on the top of the
> heap, so they're the first chosen for dinner.
>
> Here's what I'm making tonight:
>
> Grilled Jerk Chicken
> Pineapple-Jicama Relish
> Black Beans with Sofrito
> Yellow Rice
> Tossed Salad with Ginger-Lemon Vinaigrette
> Mango-Lime-Rum Cooler
>
> (The beans and rice were cooked on my patio. Why heat up the house
> unnecessarily?)
>
> What are the rest of us having for dinner tonight?
>
> Bob

Earlier today, I grilled a "Ragin' River" crusted Salmon with a maple-butter
sauce on the small Kamado, and also baked a Vidalia Onion pie on my larger "K".

This was at least the 2-dozenth time I've built a fire to cook in one or the
other of them this year. It really does keep the heat out of the house, but
leaving the air conditioning to check on them becomes more of a chore <vbg> as
the season gets hotter.

BOB

Wayne

"Bob" > wrote in
:

> Here's what I'm making tonight:
>
> Grilled Jerk Chicken
> Pineapple-Jicama Relish
> Black Beans with Sofrito
> Yellow Rice
> Tossed Salad with Ginger-Lemon Vinaigrette
> Mango-Lime-Rum Cooler
>
> (The beans and rice were cooked on my patio. Why heat up the house
> unnecessarily?)
>
> What are the rest of us having for dinner tonight?
>
> Bob

That sounds like a great meal, Bob! We grill year 'round here in AZ, but
we also try to have a big variety. Tonight we had:

Grilled Tandoori Chicken
Cucumber-Tomato Raita
Spiced Indian Rice Salad
Banana-Green Mango Chutny
Fiery Onion Relish
Chapati

Later we had homemade goat's milk ice cream with pistachios and flavored
with rosewater.

--
Wayne

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Bob

Wayne wrote:

> That sounds like a great meal, Bob! We grill year 'round here in AZ, but
> we also try to have a big variety. Tonight we had:
>
> Grilled Tandoori Chicken
> Cucumber-Tomato Raita
> Spiced Indian Rice Salad
> Banana-Green Mango Chutny
> Fiery Onion Relish
> Chapati
>
> Later we had homemade goat's milk ice cream with pistachios and flavored
> with rosewater.

That sounds terrific also! I only used half the chicken thighs for dinner
last night; maybe I'll try something similar to your dinner tonight. What
goes into your Spiced Indian Rice Salad?

Bob

Peter Aitken

"sethra" > wrote in message
> "Maverick" > wrote in
> :
>
> > That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually
> > stop grilling during the winter? I've been known to be seen standing
> > at the grill when there was 3-4 inches of snow on the ground.

> We grill year-round in Arizona.
>
> Yes, it gets bloody hot in the summer, but nothing beats hanging out at

the
> grill in February, clad in shorts and a tee shirt, enjoying a beer whilst
> grilling some steaks or bratwurst and having some less fortunate friends

or
> relatives call, complaining about the six inches of snow and below-zero
> wind chill, and ask you, "So, what're you doing?"
>
> --
> ~sethra

Same here in North Carolina - grilling weather is most of the year. Actually
the worst time is the height of the summer when the skeeters will suck you
dry before the steaks are done!

Last night I rubbed 2 whole pork tenderloins with a Carribean BBQ spice mix
from Whole Foods and let them sit all day. Then into a very hot gas grill,
covered, and cooked until 165 degrees in the middle. They were terrific -
really juicy and tender.

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne

"Bob" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> That sounds like a great meal, Bob! We grill year 'round here in AZ,
>> but we also try to have a big variety. Tonight we had:
>>
>> Grilled Tandoori Chicken
>> Cucumber-Tomato Raita
>> Spiced Indian Rice Salad
>> Banana-Green Mango Chutny
>> Fiery Onion Relish
>> Chapati
>>
>> Later we had homemade goat's milk ice cream with pistachios and
>> flavored with rosewater.

> That sounds terrific also! I only used half the chicken thighs for
> dinner last night; maybe I'll try something similar to your dinner
> tonight. What goes into your Spiced Indian Rice Salad?
>
> Bob

I used chicken thighs and legs for the tandoori chicken.

The rice salad is hardly authentic Indian fare, but definitely flavored
with Indian style spices. I copied the recipe from a website a while
back. There was no attribution, but this is the recipe...BTW, I break
the pecan halves into quarters.

Golden Spiced Indian Rice Salad with Pecans

3 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided use
1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice, rinsed
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Yield: 8 servings

In a medium pot, heat water to boiling. Add rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes. Let rice stand, still
covered, for 10 minutes off heat, then spread on a sheet pan to cool and
prevent sticking.

In a large skillet over medium heat, toast pecan halves until lightly
browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add oil to skillet and heat. Add onion and ginger; cook 5 minutes. Stir
in coriander, cumin, turmeric and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook 5
minutes longer.

In a large serving bowl, combine cooled rice, onion mixture and pecans.
Toss gently until well mixed and all rice is tinted yellow from the
spices. Add cilantro and sugar, mixing briefly. Set aside at least 20
minutes before serving at room temperature as the centerpiece of a
vegetarian meal or side
dish for a potluck. For best quality, serve the day it's made.

--
Wayne

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Maverick

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Maverick wrote:
>
> > That sounds tasty! But one thing kind of bothers me. You actually
> > stop grilling during the winter?

> I *like* using my oven and stovetop, but not in the summer. The fact is,

> like a tremendous variety of foods. Most of those foods require the oven

or
> stovetop to be used. It makes more sense to use the oven in the winter and
> the grill in the summer rather than vice versa.
>
> There's enough summer that I can grill as much as I *want* to grill, and
> there's enough non-summer that I can cook via other means to the degree

that
> I want.
>
> Bob

Being a busy family, most of the time its more convenient to grill than to
whip something up in the oven. That is not to say that we don't use the
oven but when its 100 degrees outside and (finally) all we have is an
evaporative cooler, you don't want a lot of heat in the house. You are
right though, winters see the stove and oven get a lot more use than in the
summer time.

I do more than just grill though. Drunken or beer-can chicken, depending on
where you live, Deep fried turkey, DO in the drive way... I could do all of
that in the house though, well, except for the deep fried turkey, ;-> but
its more fun to be outside and enjoying the weather. I was born and raised
in Las Vegas so there wasn't much in the way of weather. The joke is, in
Vegas its either hot or Damn Hot! so being able to go outside after work is
a nice treat.

Bret