Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default 2008's first Firing of the Grill

I grilled sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms,
and a pablano pepper directly on the grates- no foil, pans, etc, as is
the usual method. I tossed them w/ olive oil, S&P, garlic and onion
powder. They then went directly on the grates, over high heat- I
turned them frequently, until moving them to indirect heat, at which
time I grilled the chuck eye steaks- something I've recently
discovered. They are only $4.09 per pound at the local grocery store.
Wow- if tonight is any indication, 2008 is looking good, grilling
wise, anyways! For some reason, my wife thought that the veggies would
be gross (Who said that females are the smarter sex?!- Hey- it's
really because they have what us men want; a good back rub, right?) If
you haven't tried the chuck eye steaks, I'd highly recommend them.
Make sure the label says chuck EYE steaks- not mock tender, not
spencer chuck, etc, but eye!

Enjoy- and here's to a great 2008 of grilling great!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 4, 1:48 am, JimnGin > wrote:
> I grilled sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms,
> and a pablano pepper directly on the grates- no foil, pans, etc, as is
> the usual method. I tossed them w/ olive oil, S&P, garlic and onion
> powder. They then went directly on the grates, over high heat- I
> turned them frequently, until moving them to indirect heat, at which
> time I grilled the chuck eye steaks- something I've recently
> discovered. They are only $4.09 per pound at the local grocery store.
> Wow- if tonight is any indication, 2008 is looking good, grilling
> wise, anyways! For some reason, my wife thought that the veggies would
> be gross (Who said that females are the smarter sex?!- Hey- it's
> really because they have what us men want; a good back rub, right?) If
> you haven't tried the chuck eye steaks, I'd highly recommend them.
> Make sure the label says chuck EYE steaks- not mock tender, not
> spencer chuck, etc, but eye!
>
> Enjoy- and here's to a great 2008 of grilling great!

We too love Chuck eyes, but they are harder and more expensive to find
these days.
Another cut we love is skirt steak. We marinate it in garlic powder,
onion powder, salt, pepper, some chili powder and Gravy Master(not
Kitchen Bouquet, too salty) for about 6 - 7 hours then grill like any
steak.just put it in a ziplok mix the ingredients then add the steaks
coating all sides.Grill like any good steak.
WE had this in a place in Cape May NJ and they called it Black Diamond
Steak. It took me a long time to discover what the 'black' was, that
left the inside still pink when cooked.
Enjoy, this is one of our all time favorites. Need to go to butcher
and get some, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 5, 11:03 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 1:48 am, JimnGin > wrote:
>

> > I grilled sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms,
> > and a pablano pepper directly on the grates- no foil, pans, etc, as is
> > the usual method. I tossed them w/ olive oil, S&P, garlic and onion
> > powder. They then went directly on the grates, over high heat- I
> > turned them frequently, until moving them to indirect heat, at which
> > time I grilled the chuck eye steaks- something I've recently
> > discovered. They are only $4.09 per pound at the local grocery store.
> > Wow- if tonight is any indication, 2008 is looking good, grilling
> > wise, anyways! For some reason, my wife thought that the veggies would
> > be gross (Who said that females are the smarter sex?!- Hey- it's
> > really because they have what us men want; a good back rub, right?) If
> > you haven't tried the chuck eye steaks, I'd highly recommend them.
> > Make sure the label says chuck EYE steaks- not mock tender, not
> > spencer chuck, etc, but eye!

> > Enjoy- and here's to a great 2008 of grilling great!

> We too love Chuck eyes, but they are harder and more expensive to find
> these days.
> Another cut we love is skirt steak. We marinate it in garlic powder,
> onion powder, salt, pepper, some chili powder and Gravy Master(not
> Kitchen Bouquet, too salty) for about 6 - 7 hours then grill like any
> steak.just put it in a ziplok mix the ingredients then add the steaks
> coating all sides.Grill like any good steak.
> WE had this in a place in Cape May NJ and they called it Black Diamond
> Steak. It took me a long time to discover what the 'black' was, that
> left the inside still pink when cooked.
> Enjoy, this is one of our all time favorites. Need to go to butcher
> and get some, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
> Nan in DE

Sounds good- really good, actually! However, skirt steak is
considerably more per pound than chuck eye steaks in this neck o' the
woods. Unfortunately, the $4.09 per pound was a sale price- the
regular price is $4.99 per pound- still cheaper than skirt steak, but
not by much. Now that chuck eye isn't on sale, and I refuse to pay $5
per pound, I am going to try your skirt steak recipe. I have some
Angus skirt steak in the freezer, and have been wondering what to do
with it. Thanks for the recipe- I'm anxious to try it! Of course, I'll
wait until this damn weather breaks. We had a record-setting February-
22"-23" of snow- more than any February on record. Enter March- hey-
it's gotta get better, right?! WRONG- Tuesday night we had an ice
storm that knocked out power for 2 days with app. 1/2" of ice, and
sent us to a hotel for one night. Now, just a couple days later, we're
getting yet another storm- this time up to 1/4" of ice, and 10"-15" of
snow! Will it ever end?!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 8, 12:51 am, JimnGin > wrote:
> On Mar 5, 11:03 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 4, 1:48 am, JimnGin > wrote:

> > > I grilled sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms,
> > > and a pablano pepper directly on the grates- no foil, pans, etc, as is
> > > the usual method. I tossed them w/ olive oil, S&P, garlic and onion
> > > powder. They then went directly on the grates, over high heat- I
> > > turned them frequently, until moving them to indirect heat, at which
> > > time I grilled the chuck eye steaks- something I've recently
> > > discovered. They are only $4.09 per pound at the local grocery store.
> > > Wow- if tonight is any indication, 2008 is looking good, grilling
> > > wise, anyways! For some reason, my wife thought that the veggies would
> > > be gross (Who said that females are the smarter sex?!- Hey- it's
> > > really because they have what us men want; a good back rub, right?) If
> > > you haven't tried the chuck eye steaks, I'd highly recommend them.
> > > Make sure the label says chuck EYE steaks- not mock tender, not
> > > spencer chuck, etc, but eye!

> > > Enjoy- and here's to a great 2008 of grilling great!

> > We too love Chuck eyes, but they are harder and more expensive to find
> > these days.
> > Another cut we love is skirt steak. We marinate it in garlic powder,
> > onion powder, salt, pepper, some chili powder and Gravy Master(not
> > Kitchen Bouquet, too salty) for about 6 - 7 hours then grill like any
> > steak.just put it in a ziplok mix the ingredients then add the steaks
> > coating all sides.Grill like any good steak.
> > WE had this in a place in Cape May NJ and they called it Black Diamond
> > Steak. It took me a long time to discover what the 'black' was, that
> > left the inside still pink when cooked.
> > Enjoy, this is one of our all time favorites. Need to go to butcher
> > and get some, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
> > Nan in DE

> Sounds good- really good, actually! However, skirt steak is
> considerably more per pound than chuck eye steaks in this neck o' the
> woods. Unfortunately, the $4.09 per pound was a sale price- the
> regular price is $4.99 per pound- still cheaper than skirt steak, but
> not by much. Now that chuck eye isn't on sale, and I refuse to pay $5
> per pound, I am going to try your skirt steak recipe. I have some
> Angus skirt steak in the freezer, and have been wondering what to do
> with it. Thanks for the recipe- I'm anxious to try it! Of course, I'll
> wait until this damn weather breaks. We had a record-setting February-
> 22"-23" of snow- more than any February on record. Enter March- hey-
> it's gotta get better, right?! WRONG- Tuesday night we had an ice
> storm that knocked out power for 2 days with app. 1/2" of ice, and
> sent us to a hotel for one night. Now, just a couple days later, we're
> getting yet another storm- this time up to 1/4" of ice, and 10"-15" of
> snow! Will it ever end?!

As if the weather hasn't been bizarre enough- now we're getting
thunder and lightning, as the snow comes down at the rate of at least
an inch per hour, causing a white out!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 8, 3:32 am, JimnGin > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 12:51 am, JimnGin > wrote:

> > > We too love Chuck eyes, but they are harder and more expensive to find
> > > these days.
> > > Another cut we love is skirt steak. We marinate it in garlic powder,
> > > onion powder, salt, pepper, some chili powder and Gravy Master(not
> > > Kitchen Bouquet, too salty) for about 6 - 7 hours then grill like any
> > > steak.just put it in a ziplok mix the ingredients then add the steaks
> > > coating all sides.Grill like any good steak.
> > > WE had this in a place in Cape May NJ and they called it Black Diamond
> > > Steak. It took me a long time to discover what the 'black' was, that
> > > left the inside still pink when cooked.
> > > Enjoy, this is one of our all time favorites. Need to go to butcher
> > > and get some, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!
> > > Nan in DE

> > Sounds good- really good, actually! However, skirt steak is
> > considerably more per pound than chuck eye steaks in this neck o' the
> > woods. Unfortunately, the $4.09 per pound was a sale price- the
> > regular price is $4.99 per pound- still cheaper than skirt steak, but
> > not by much. Now that chuck eye isn't on sale, and I refuse to pay $5
> > per pound, I am going to try your skirt steak recipe. I have some
> > Angus skirt steak in the freezer, and have been wondering what to do
> > with it. Thanks for the recipe- I'm anxious to try it! Of course, I'll
> > wait until this damn weather breaks. We had a record-setting February-
> > 22"-23" of snow- more than any February on record. Enter March- hey-
> > it's gotta get better, right?! WRONG- Tuesday night we had an ice
> > storm that knocked out power for 2 days with app. 1/2" of ice, and
> > sent us to a hotel for one night. Now, just a couple days later, we're
> > getting yet another storm- this time up to 1/4" of ice, and 10"-15" of
> > snow! Will it ever end?!

> As if the weather hasn't been bizarre enough- now we're getting
> thunder and lightning, as the snow comes down at the rate of at least
> an inch per hour, causing a white out!

Wow, that is nasty weather. Where are you?

We've had thunder and lightening a few times with snow but we usually
don't get that either. Our dau is in NH and she says the mailboxes at
the end of the driveways are all covered, and the drifts from the
snowplows are 5-6' high, the snow is up to her deck, over 3'. Even the
black lab is having a hard time with it. We never had our good
snowstorm this year, just piddly snows, and that is ok with us. Dau
says she wants to be a bear and hibernate til it is all over.
Skirt steaks are usually $3.99/pound here at the butchers. We're
overdue to fix some, that and pulled pork.
Happy Grillin n BBQn,
Nan in DE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> KC = 9 degrees last night. 18 now. 50s by Monday.
>
> That is no guarantee of spring in the air, we had sixties about a week ago.
> Next up could be anything from blizzard to flood to hard freeze to tropics.
> Forecasted severe weather has a tendency not to happen. Moderate storm
> forecasts tend to yield severe weather without warning.
>
> A local meteorologist famously went on the air one day saying that morning
> he had shoveled about 6 inches of partly cloudy off his sidewalk.
>
> We have a saying... if you don't like the kind of weather we have here, just
> wait, it will change. Keeps us outdoor cooker types on our toes.
>
> MartyB in KC

Hey, Marty- I have a group of old classmates coming out here to Las
Vegas next week to escape the KC weather and get a little food. It's
been so long since I've fed KC folk that I forgot what they eat. Can
you give me some suggestions about what to feed these good people to
keep them healthy and comfortable? <grin>

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>
>>> KC = 9 degrees last night. 18 now. 50s by Monday.
>>>
>>> That is no guarantee of spring in the air, we had sixties about a week

> ago.
>>> Next up could be anything from blizzard to flood to hard freeze to

> tropics.
>>> Forecasted severe weather has a tendency not to happen. Moderate storm
>>> forecasts tend to yield severe weather without warning.
>>>
>>> A local meteorologist famously went on the air one day saying that

> morning
>>> he had shoveled about 6 inches of partly cloudy off his sidewalk.
>>>
>>> We have a saying... if you don't like the kind of weather we have here,

> just
>>> wait, it will change. Keeps us outdoor cooker types on our toes.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC

>> Hey, Marty- I have a group of old classmates coming out here to Las
>> Vegas next week to escape the KC weather and get a little food. It's
>> been so long since I've fed KC folk that I forgot what they eat. Can
>> you give me some suggestions about what to feed these good people to
>> keep them healthy and comfortable? <grin>
>>

> Gee, that's a tough question...
>
> Letsee.... here's a list.
>
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Steak
> Barbecue
> Fried Chicken
> Barbecue
> Pizza
> oh, and Barbecue.
>
> MartyB

Yeah, but what about the second night? <grin>

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Olde Hippee wrote:
> On Mar 8, 3:32 am, JimnGin > wrote:Now, just a couple days later, we're
>>> getting yet another storm- this time up to 1/4" of ice, and 10"-15" of
>>> snow! Will it ever end?!

>> As if the weather hasn't been bizarre enough- now we're getting
>> thunder and lightning, as the snow comes down at the rate of at least
>> an inch per hour, causing a white out!

> Wow, that is nasty weather. Where are you?
>
> We've had thunder and lightening a few times with snow but we usually
> don't get that either. Our dau is in NH and she says the mailboxes at
> the end of the driveways are all covered, and the drifts from the
> snowplows are 5-6' high, the snow is up to her deck, over 3'. Even the
> black lab is having a hard time with it. We never had our good
> snowstorm this year, just piddly snows, and that is ok with us. Dau
> says she wants to be a bear and hibernate til it is all over.
> Skirt steaks are usually $3.99/pound here at the butchers. We're
> overdue to fix some, that and pulled pork.
> Happy Grillin n BBQn,
> Nan in DE

Not sure where Jim is, but right now most of eastern Ontario is getting
the storm of the season. We've already had about 20 cm (roughly 8
inches), and they are forecasting another 20 tonight. We have also had
freezing ice pellets, gusting winds, and thunder.

There is about three feet of accumulated snow on the deck between the
door and the grill.

MargW
in Prince Edward County on the north shore of Lake Ontario
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 8, 10:45 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 3:32 am, JimnGin > wrote:

> Wow, that is nasty weather. Where are you?

I'm in N.E Ohio- Louisville, Ohio to be exact. We've gotten somewhere
from 14"-16" of snow, and another 2"-4" is expected overnight.
Meanwhile, we're getting winds of 20-30 mph. We just had a huge ice
storm Tuesday night/Wednesday, that shut off power for thousands for
up to 2 days. We had to spend a night in a hotel, due to lack of heat.
Can't wait til spring!! And to think that just Monday it was 60F, and
I fired up the grill!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FWIW, I sat out on the swing some this afternoon, but there was a little
breeze and it disturbed the newspaper. The sun was bright and warm. I
considered going in to put on shorts, but stayed with my jeans and polo
shirt.

How I suffer. Bwahahahahahah

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:48:25 -0800 (PST), JimnGin wrote:

> I grilled sweet potatoes, white potatoes, green peppers, mushrooms,
> and a pablano pepper directly on the grates- no foil, pans, etc, as is
> the usual method. I tossed them w/ olive oil, S&P, garlic and onion
> powder. They then went directly on the grates, over high heat- I
> turned them frequently, until moving them to indirect heat, at which
> time I grilled the chuck eye steaks- something I've recently
> discovered. They are only $4.09 per pound at the local grocery store.
> Wow- if tonight is any indication, 2008 is looking good, grilling
> wise, anyways! For some reason, my wife thought that the veggies would
> be gross (Who said that females are the smarter sex?!- Hey- it's
> really because they have what us men want; a good back rub, right?) If
> you haven't tried the chuck eye steaks, I'd highly recommend them.
> Make sure the label says chuck EYE steaks- not mock tender, not
> spencer chuck, etc, but eye!
>
> Enjoy- and here's to a great 2008 of grilling great!

sounds darn tasty but just a little heads up--the 20o8 grilling season
starts the same time the year does here in the middle of Wisconsin. Snow is
still at least as high as the deck floor(30+") but will roast a couple
chickens later today--temp 10°F
Buzz
--
Buzz
remove the rope to reply
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JimnGin > wrote:
> On Mar 8, 10:45 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:

>> Wow, that is nasty weather. Where are you?

> I'm in N.E Ohio- Louisville, Ohio to be exact. We've gotten somewhere
> from 14"-16" of snow, and another 2"-4" is expected overnight.
> Meanwhile, we're getting winds of 20-30 mph. We just had a huge ice
> storm Tuesday night/Wednesday, that shut off power for thousands for
> up to 2 days. We had to spend a night in a hotel, due to lack of heat.
> Can't wait til spring!! And to think that just Monday it was 60F, and
> I fired up the grill!

Dude, somewhere I have 2 photographs. Taken in 1993 or 4 of me in front of
a bank sign.
Displaying the date and temp; One day the temp was 92 degrees F; The other
was 14 degrees F.

They were taken 4 days apart.

Mid January.

Shawn (where, if you don't like the weather, you get another chance in a
few hours)