Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default It's that TIME of year.....

Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
Christmas Story. Love that movie.

Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!

Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!

Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.

Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:

> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
>
> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
>
> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
>
> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
>
> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
which made matters even worse.

He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.

Nevertheless, he can't so much as ride his bike up the block with the
thing without being confronted by local law enforcement. It's a cop
magnet. "Normal" police presence would be seeing a patrol car cruise by
once a week, maybe. The boys get their BB guns out and cops come from
miles around, like sharks to chum. Their guns are 100% legal but it's
just not worth the hassle.

When they decide they want to get together for a battle I go and pick
them all up in my van and drive them back to my house so they can play
war in my back yard. It's a big yard and the climbing wall, trampoline,
trees and shed provide cover. I'm also used to finding the dogs'
cooling tank, the wheelbarrows, the wagon and the trash can lids in
weird places (mobile shields). I've got a box full of cheap safety
glasses, the use of which is absolutely mandatory. And when they're
done, I drive them home. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up to and
knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential dumbassery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 26 Nov 2008 05:23:25p, Kathleen told us...

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>
>> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
>> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
>>
>> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
>>
>> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
>>
>> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
>>
>> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

> My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
> with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
> mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
> which made matters even worse.
>
> He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
> painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
> fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.
>
> Nevertheless, he can't so much as ride his bike up the block with the
> thing without being confronted by local law enforcement. It's a cop
> magnet. "Normal" police presence would be seeing a patrol car cruise by
> once a week, maybe. The boys get their BB guns out and cops come from
> miles around, like sharks to chum. Their guns are 100% legal but it's
> just not worth the hassle.
>
> When they decide they want to get together for a battle I go and pick
> them all up in my van and drive them back to my house so they can play
> war in my back yard. It's a big yard and the climbing wall, trampoline,
> trees and shed provide cover. I'm also used to finding the dogs'
> cooling tank, the wheelbarrows, the wagon and the trash can lids in
> weird places (mobile shields). I've got a box full of cheap safety
> glasses, the use of which is absolutely mandatory. And when they're
> done, I drive them home. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
> other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up to and
> knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential dumbassery.

I’m sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of weapon in
the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the “apparent” safety.
There are certainly better things to do than “go to battle”, and it
potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.

Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of his
father’s here in the Phoenix area.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 11(XI)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till U.S. Thanksgiving Day
5hrs 11mins
Phobia: what's left after drinking 2 out of a 6 pack

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
, Kathleen told us...
.. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
>> other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up to and
>> knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential dumbassery.

> I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of weapon
> in
> the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the "apparent" safety.
> There are certainly better things to do than "go to battle", and it
> potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>
> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of his
> father's here in the Phoenix area.

I can only agree. As I read it I kept thinking, "They're training them up
for Iraq." It's bad enough that they can have a war on their Playstation,
IME. I suppose some would have thought the same when my DD had chaps and a
capgun. Times change.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:58:18a, Giusi told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
> , Kathleen told us...
> . It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
>>> other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up to and
>>> knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential
>>> dumbassery.

>> I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of
>> weapon in
>> the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the "apparent"
>> safety. There are certainly better things to do than "go to battle",
>> and it potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>>
>> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of
>> his father's here in the Phoenix area.

> I can only agree. As I read it I kept thinking, "They're training them
> up for Iraq." It's bad enough that they can have a war on their
> Playstation, IME. I suppose some would have thought the same when my DD
> had chaps and a capgun. Times change.

Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent and
much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period was
also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:58:18a, Giusi told us...
>

>>"Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>, Kathleen told us...
>>. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the

>>>I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of
>>>weapon in
>>>the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the "apparent"
>>>safety. There are certainly better things to do than "go to battle",
>>>and it potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>>>
>>>Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of
>>>his father's here in the Phoenix area.

>>I can only agree. As I read it I kept thinking, "They're training them
>>up for Iraq." It's bad enough that they can have a war on their
>>Playstation, IME. I suppose some would have thought the same when my DD
>>had chaps and a capgun. Times change.

> Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
> and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent and
> much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period was
> also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

Whether my son and his friends get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan or
India, is, in large part, out of my hands. If they get swept up in the
draft and our borders are closed, spiriting them off to Canada may not
be a viable option. However, my kids, and my sister's sons, all have
passports, not because we've got any international travel planned at
this point, but out of a nagging sense that it would be a good idea to
be able to get them out of the country quickly.

My friend's 18 year-old son has, in large part, outgrown his ADD, but
she still insists that he see his neurologist twice a year, and she
fills his prescriptions faithfully. That may not be enough to keep him
safe. IIRC, the army was considering revising their rules on whether
that particular medical history gets you an automatic disqualification.

My daughter has never played a war game in her life and the military has
been stalking her by postal service, e-mail and phone for the past year.

Am I paranoid about our government in general, and the military in
particular? You betcha.

I will do my best to keep them out of harm's way, physically and
politically, but if the worst happens, what they've learned in my back
yard may help keep them alive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:09:12a, Kathleen told us...

> Whether my son and his friends get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan or
> India, is, in large part, out of my hands. If they get swept up in the
> draft and our borders are closed, spiriting them off to Canada may not
> be a viable option. However, my kids, and my sister's sons, all have
> passports, not because we've got any international travel planned at
> this point, but out of a nagging sense that it would be a good idea to
> be able to get them out of the country quickly.
>
> My friend's 18 year-old son has, in large part, outgrown his ADD, but
> she still insists that he see his neurologist twice a year, and she
> fills his prescriptions faithfully. That may not be enough to keep him
> safe. IIRC, the army was considering revising their rules on whether
> that particular medical history gets you an automatic disqualification.
>
> My daughter has never played a war game in her life and the military has
> been stalking her by postal service, e-mail and phone for the past year.
>
> Am I paranoid about our government in general, and the military in
> particular? You betcha.

As am I.

> I will do my best to keep them out of harm's way, physically and
> politically, but if the worst happens, what they've learned in my back
> yard may help keep them alive.

You’re a good mother, Kathleen, and I wasn’t really criticizing, only
making an observation of our times, which, BTW, scare the hell out of me.
I don’t know where we’re headed.

In a way, given the changes in the world, I’m not unhappy that I have no
children to leave for the future.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
How many tentacles has Great Cthulhu got? Too many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:23:25 -0600, Kathleen wrote:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>
>> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
>> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
>>
>> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
>>
>> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
>>
>> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
>>
>> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

> My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
> with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
> mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
> which made matters even worse.
>
> He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
> painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
> fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.

you could try this:

<http://www.glamguns.com/hk47.html>

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 09:17:29a, blake murphy told us...

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:23:25 -0600, Kathleen wrote:
>
>> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
>>> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
>>>
>>> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
>>>
>>> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
>>>
>>> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

>> My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
>> with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
>> mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
>> which made matters even worse.
>>
>> He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
>> painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
>> fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.
>>

> you could try this:
>
> <http://www.glamguns.com/hk47.html>
>
> your pal,
> blake

A true bargain!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Gun Control: Keep muzzle pointed at target.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:58:18a, Giusi told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
>> , Kathleen told us...
>> . It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
>>>
>>> I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of
>>> weapon in
>>> the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the "apparent"
>>> safety. There are certainly better things to do than "go to battle",
>>> and it potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>>>
>>> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of
>>> his father's here in the Phoenix area.

>> I can only agree. As I read it I kept thinking, "They're training them
>> up for Iraq." It's bad enough that they can have a war on their
>> Playstation, IME. I suppose some would have thought the same when my DD
>> had chaps and a capgun. Times change.

> Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
> and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent and
> much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period was
> also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

you mean reagan's strategic defense initiative, a.k.a. 'star wars'?

your pal,
darth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 09:22:11a, blake murphy told us...

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:58:18a, Giusi told us...
>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> , Kathleen told us...
>>> . It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the

>>> I can only agree. As I read it I kept thinking, "They're training
>>> them up for Iraq." It's bad enough that they can have a war on their
>>> Playstation, IME. I suppose some would have thought the same when my
>>> DD had chaps and a capgun. Times change.

>> Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl
>> outfits, and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more
>> innocent and much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the
>> same period was also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

> you mean reagan's strategic defense initiative, a.k.a. 'star wars'?
>
> your pal,
> darth

Of course. But I don’t know if that was his Alzheimer’s kicking in or just
a fantasy.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
When the goin' get's tough--I usually quit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:09:12a, Kathleen told us...
>

>>Whether my son and his friends get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan or
>>India, is, in large part, out of my hands. If they get swept up in the
>>draft and our borders are closed, spiriting them off to Canada may not
>>be a viable option. However, my kids, and my sister's sons, all have
>>passports, not because we've got any international travel planned at
>>this point, but out of a nagging sense that it would be a good idea to
>>be able to get them out of the country quickly.
>>
>>My friend's 18 year-old son has, in large part, outgrown his ADD, but
>>she still insists that he see his neurologist twice a year, and she
>>fills his prescriptions faithfully. That may not be enough to keep him
>>safe. IIRC, the army was considering revising their rules on whether
>>that particular medical history gets you an automatic disqualification.
>>
>>My daughter has never played a war game in her life and the military has
>>been stalking her by postal service, e-mail and phone for the past year.
>>
>>Am I paranoid about our government in general, and the military in
>>particular? You betcha.

> As am I.
>

>>I will do my best to keep them out of harm's way, physically and
>>politically, but if the worst happens, what they've learned in my back
>>yard may help keep them alive.

> You’re a good mother, Kathleen, and I wasn’t really criticizing, only
> making an observation of our times, which, BTW, scare the hell out of me.
> I don’t know where we’re headed.
>
> In a way, given the changes in the world, I’m not unhappy that I have no
> children to leave for the future.

I would never second guess anybody else's reproductive decisions (that's
a lie, actually, I do it all the time, I just keep my mouth shut). But
not having children doesn't make you exempt from fear of the future, not
really. Any time you love or care about anyone or anything you give a
hostage to fate. And caring how things turn out is great incentive to
try to make things better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 10:38:53a, Kathleen told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:09:12a, Kathleen told us...
>>

>>>Whether my son and his friends get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan or
>>>India, is, in large part, out of my hands. If they get swept up in the
>>>draft and our borders are closed, spiriting them off to Canada may not
>>>be a viable option. However, my kids, and my sister's sons, all have
>>>passports, not because we've got any international travel planned at
>>>this point, but out of a nagging sense that it would be a good idea to
>>>be able to get them out of the country quickly.
>>>
>>>My friend's 18 year-old son has, in large part, outgrown his ADD, but
>>>she still insists that he see his neurologist twice a year, and she
>>>fills his prescriptions faithfully. That may not be enough to keep him
>>>safe. IIRC, the army was considering revising their rules on whether
>>>that particular medical history gets you an automatic disqualification.
>>>
>>>My daughter has never played a war game in her life and the military
>>>has been stalking her by postal service, e-mail and phone for the past
>>>year.
>>>
>>>Am I paranoid about our government in general, and the military in
>>>particular? You betcha.

>> As am I.
>>

>>>I will do my best to keep them out of harm's way, physically and
>>>politically, but if the worst happens, what they've learned in my back
>>>yard may help keep them alive.

>> You’re a good mother, Kathleen, and I wasn’t really criticizing, only
>> making an observation of our times, which, BTW, scare the hell out of
>> me. I don’t know where we’re headed.
>>
>> In a way, given the changes in the world, I’m not unhappy that I have
>> no children to leave for the future.

> I would never second guess anybody else's reproductive decisions (that's
> a lie, actually, I do it all the time, I just keep my mouth shut). But
> not having children doesn't make you exempt from fear of the future, not
> really. Any time you love or care about anyone or anything you give a
> hostage to fate. And caring how things turn out is great incentive to
> try to make things better.

I couldn’t agree more. However, one thing I won’t have to worry about is
the progeny I didn’t have. I care about many people, and the children and
grandchildren of friends, and how things turn out overall. Still, most
people love their own children the most and would probably be the most
concerned for them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
They aren't broken, they're . . . uh . . . modular.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:23:25 -0600, Kathleen wrote:
>
>> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>
>>> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
>>> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
>>>
>>> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
>>>
>>> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
>>>
>>> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
>>>
>>> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

>> My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
>> with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
>> mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
>> which made matters even worse.
>>
>> He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
>> painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
>> fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.
>>

> you could try this:
>
> <http://www.glamguns.com/hk47.html>

ahahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
>and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent and
>much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period was
>also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

Don't forget Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I’m sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of weapon in
> the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the “apparent” safety.
> There are certainly better things to do than “go to battle”, and it
> potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>
> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of his
> father’s here in the Phoenix area.

What they're doing is a lot better than playing the generation of
video games.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:08:45p, sf told us...

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
>>and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent

and
>>much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period

was
>>also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

> Don't forget Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

Exactly! And so many others...

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Life is only as long as you live it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 10:38:53a, Kathleen told us...
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:09:12a, Kathleen told us...

>>>As am I.

>>>You’re a good mother, Kathleen, and I wasn’t really criticizing, only
>>>making an observation of our times, which, BTW, scare the hell out of
>>>me. I don’t know where we’re headed.
>>>
>>>In a way, given the changes in the world, I’m not unhappy that I have
>>>no children to leave for the future.

>>I would never second guess anybody else's reproductive decisions (that's
>>a lie, actually, I do it all the time, I just keep my mouth shut). But
>>not having children doesn't make you exempt from fear of the future, not
>>really. Any time you love or care about anyone or anything you give a
>>hostage to fate. And caring how things turn out is great incentive to
>>try to make things better.

> I couldn’t agree more. However, one thing I won’t have to worry about is
> the progeny I didn’t have. I care about many people, and the children and
> grandchildren of friends, and how things turn out overall. Still, most
> people love their own children the most and would probably be the most
> concerned for them.

Well, sure. I not only love my kids the most, I also like them. Not
always, and not in every way, but overall and in general they are
shaping up into truly admirable humans.

But having them, caring for my own, has made me protective of children
in general, in a way I would have found incomprehensible before I had
them. Same thing with my dogs, although that bond goes much further
back but not necessarily deeper.

I protect what's mine. And "mine" has a much broader definition these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:08:45p, sf told us...
>
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl outfits,
> >>and play acting the days of the “wild west” existed in a more innocent

> and
> >>much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the same period

> was
> >>also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

> > Don't forget Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

> Exactly! And so many others...

Kids today play Cowboys and Native Americans.
The Cowboys chase the dog around, pretending
it is a cow, and they give money to the Native
Americans so they can go buy soda and chips.
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 03:32:07p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:08:45p, sf told us...
>>
>> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>> and

>> was
>> >
>> > Don't forget Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

>> Exactly! And so many others...

> Kids today play Cowboys and Native Americans.
> The Cowboys chase the dog around, pretending
> it is a cow, and they give money to the Native
> Americans so they can go buy soda and chips.
>:-)

<g>

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
Did you expect mere proof to sway my opinion?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:32:07 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Kids today play Cowboys and Native Americans.

Kids today play video games and are not permitted to get out for fresh
air and exercise. Wonder why they are fat? I know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
says...
> On Wed 26 Nov 2008 05:23:25p, Kathleen told us...
>
> > Mr. Bill wrote:
> >
> >> Once again, I have got to dig out my favorite Holiday movie, A
> >> Christmas Story. Love that movie.
> >>
> >> Ralphie...you will put your eye out with that B-B gun!!
> >>
> >> Oh. look!! It's from Italy...is says fra...........geeee..........lay!
> >>
> >> Guess I will go make a pumpkin pie and watch the movie.
> >>
> >> Stay tuned....TinyPics at five!

> > My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them fitted
> > with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even with the
> > mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case for his,
> > which made matters even worse.
> >
> > He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing. I
> > painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
> > fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.
> >
> > Nevertheless, he can't so much as ride his bike up the block with the
> > thing without being confronted by local law enforcement. It's a cop
> > magnet. "Normal" police presence would be seeing a patrol car cruise by
> > once a week, maybe. The boys get their BB guns out and cops come from
> > miles around, like sharks to chum. Their guns are 100% legal but it's
> > just not worth the hassle.
> >
> > When they decide they want to get together for a battle I go and pick
> > them all up in my van and drive them back to my house so they can play
> > war in my back yard. It's a big yard and the climbing wall, trampoline,
> > trees and shed provide cover. I'm also used to finding the dogs'
> > cooling tank, the wheelbarrows, the wagon and the trash can lids in
> > weird places (mobile shields). I've got a box full of cheap safety
> > glasses, the use of which is absolutely mandatory. And when they're
> > done, I drive them home. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but on the
> > other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up to and
> > knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential dumbassery.

> I=3Fm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of weapon in
> the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the =3Fapparent=3F safety.
> There are certainly better things to do than =3Fgo to battle=3F, and it
> potentially engenders or reinforces a war mentality.
>
> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of his
> father=3Fs here in the Phoenix area.

When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead accurate
with a slingshot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...

> In article 0>,
> says...

>> > My son and his friends have AirSoft BB gun rifles, some of them
>> > fitted with scopes, that look far too much like the real thing even
>> > with the mandatory orange tip on the barrel. I bought my son a case
>> > for his, which made matters even worse.
>> >
>> > He asked me to customize it for him, to make it look less menacing.
>> > I painted the outsides of the case with "AirSoft BB Gun", in big
>> > fluorescent letters, with "You'll shoot your eye out!" written below.
>> >
>> > Nevertheless, he can't so much as ride his bike up the block with the
>> > thing without being confronted by local law enforcement. It's a cop
>> > magnet. "Normal" police presence would be seeing a patrol car cruise
>> > by once a week, maybe. The boys get their BB guns out and cops come
>> > from miles around, like sharks to chum. Their guns are 100% legal
>> > but it's just not worth the hassle.
>> >
>> > When they decide they want to get together for a battle I go and pick
>> > them all up in my van and drive them back to my house so they can
>> > play war in my back yard. It's a big yard and the climbing wall,
>> > trampoline, trees and shed provide cover. I'm also used to finding
>> > the dogs' cooling tank, the wheelbarrows, the wagon and the trash can
>> > lids in weird places (mobile shields). I've got a box full of cheap
>> > safety glasses, the use of which is absolutely mandatory. And when
>> > they're done, I drive them home. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but
>> > on the other hand, I know exactly where they are and what they're up
>> > to and knowing I'm there puts the brakes on all sorts of potential
>> > dumbassery.

>> I=3Fm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of
>> weapon in the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the
>> =3Fapparent=3F safety. There are certainly better things to do than
>> =3Fgo to battle=3F, and it potentially engenders or reinforces a war
>> mentality.
>>
>> Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of
>> his father=3Fs here in the Phoenix area.
>>

> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead accurate
> with a slingshot.

We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think anybody
took slingshots to war.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
I know my own mind ... and it's around here somewhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...
>

>>In article 0>,
says...

>>>On Wed 26 Nov 2008 05:23:25p, Kathleen told us...

>>>I=3Fm sure you have the best of intentions, but I think any kind of
>>>weapon in the hands of a child is ill advised, regardless of the
>>>=3Fapparent=3F safety. There are certainly better things to do than
>>>=3Fgo to battle=3F, and it potentially engenders or reinforces a war
>>>mentality.
>>>
>>>Last week an 8 year old boy shot to death his father and a friend of
>>>his father=3Fs here in the Phoenix area.
>>>

>>When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead accurate
>>with a slingshot.

> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think anybody
> took slingshots to war.

No. But at the age of 7 years I used my Wrist Rocket to shoot my
babysitter in the thigh with an unripe olive from the tree out in the
front yard. Thwap. Nailed him dead on from about 40 feet away, hard
enough to leave a rather spectacular softball-sized mark.

His mother complained to mine. My father's reaction took most of the
sting out of the lecture I received. It's not often that you see soda
come out a grownup's nose. He excused himself to the garage but the
damage was done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:15:43p, Kathleen told us...

> No. But at the age of 7 years I used my Wrist Rocket to shoot my
> babysitter in the thigh with an unripe olive from the tree out in the
> front yard. Thwap. Nailed him dead on from about 40 feet away, hard
> enough to leave a rather spectacular softball-sized mark.
>
> His mother complained to mine. My father's reaction took most of the
> sting out of the lecture I received. It's not often that you see soda
> come out a grownup's nose. He excused himself to the garage but the
> damage was done.

Kathleen, you wicked girl! Good aim, too!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 11(XI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.)
The ideal government would just tax everyone a dollar a year and
then spend it all on fireworks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:32:07 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:08:45p, sf told us...
>>
>>> On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>> and

>> was
>>>
>>> Don't forget Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

>> Exactly! And so many others...

> Kids today play Cowboys and Native Americans.
> The Cowboys chase the dog around, pretending
> it is a cow, and they give money to the Native
> Americans so they can go buy soda and chips.
> :-)

what, no whisky?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:42:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...
>

>> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead accurate
>> with a slingshot.

> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think anybody
> took slingshots to war.

well, there was that punk david...

your pal,
goliath
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 08:15:43p, Kathleen told us...
>

>>No. But at the age of 7 years I used my Wrist Rocket to shoot my
>>babysitter in the thigh with an unripe olive from the tree out in the
>>front yard. Thwap. Nailed him dead on from about 40 feet away, hard
>>enough to leave a rather spectacular softball-sized mark.
>>
>>His mother complained to mine. My father's reaction took most of the
>>sting out of the lecture I received. It's not often that you see soda
>>come out a grownup's nose. He excused himself to the garage but the
>>damage was done.

> Kathleen, you wicked girl! Good aim, too!

And lucky for him, too. I was thinking like a girl... "Don't aim for
the forehead, if you miss you could hit him in the eye". Didn't give
one second's thought to the fact that if I was off by 6 inches north and
three inches west, he'd have been singing soprano.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:42:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...
>>

>>> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead
>>> accurate with a slingshot.

>> We didnÂ’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I donÂ’t think
>> anybody took slingshots to war.

> well, there was that punk david...
>
> your pal,
> goliath

Heh. Wonder what would have happened if he'd missed? My guess is that
there'd be a lot more philistines around...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 09:22:11a, blake murphy told us...
>
> > On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:03:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 12:58:18a, Giusi told us...

> >> Some might have thought that, Giusi, but capguns, cowboy/cowgirl
> >> outfits, and play acting the days of the "wild west" existed in a more
> >> innocent and much gentler time. As you said, times change. During the
> >> same period was also the fantasy of space ships, ray guns, aliens, etc.

> > you mean reagan's strategic defense initiative, a.k.a. 'star wars'?
> >
> > your pal,
> > darth

> Of course. But I don't know if that was his Alzheimer's kicking in or

just
> a fantasy.

Reagan's SDI initiative actually scared the shite outta the Russians, Wayne,
by that time they had been lulled into relative complacency by the (mistaken
on our part) policy of "Detente" that had been pursued by every prez from
Nixon, Ford, and Carter...

SDI shocked the Russians because they realized that the technology was the
*one* thing they could not steal and buy from the West. They went into a
military spending frenzy from which they never recovered, their economy was
already on the ropes and Reagans' SDI initiative helped give the USSR one
more final push into the dustbin of history...

Electronics had been a sore spot with the Soviets, they lagged far, FAR
behind in the electronics field. In fact in the early 80's they were
reduced to buying Speak 'n Spell childrens' toys (which contained
microchips) in the West and shipping them back home in order to reverse -
engineer them, I kid you not; in fact the US government actually banned
exports of this toy to any Soviet Bloc country. "State of the art" Soviet
computing c. 1980 consisted of copies of old IBM 360's...vacuum tubes were
still widely used (in fact the Russians are still making vacuum tubes, these
are exported to the West for use in very high - end audiophile components).
Soviet - made television sets were notorious for blowing up and starting
fires, a number of people each year were killed or injured each year by
these "killer TV sets"...

Weapons - wise the Soviets could only build *bigger*, not *better* like the
US could with it's advanced electronic miniaturisation technologies. By
1980 they could boast the highest production in the world of things like pig
iron, concrete - and antique electronic components. And they could not even
feed themselves, they depended on massive Western credits in order to import
grain...

So don't laff at Reagan...he was a brilliant strategician. And thank
Silicon Valley while yer at, they made those microchips that helped drive
the Evil Empire into the grave. Thank Pope John Paul II, too, he inspired
hope behind the Iron Curtain and at Reagan's urgings he declined to back the
left - wing whacko European Nuclear Freeze Movement - which we've since
found out had been funded by the Soviet KGB in any case...

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 28 Nov 2008 10:07:18a, blake murphy told us...

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:42:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...
>>

>>> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead
>>> accurate with a slingshot.

>> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think
>> anybody took slingshots to war.

> well, there was that punk david...
>
> your pal,
> goliath

LOL!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 11(XI)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Day After Thanksgiving
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 5dys 10hrs 36mins
Cats are purrfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 28 Nov 2008 11:20:56a, Kathleen told us...

Date: Friday, 11(XI)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Day After Thanksgiving
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 5dys 10hrs 35mins
Don't thank me for insulting you. It was my pleasure...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 28 Nov 2008 01:41:04p, Dave Smith told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 28 Nov 2008 11:44:57a, Gregory Morrow told us...
>>
>>> So don't laff at Reagan...he was a brilliant strategician. And thank
>>> Silicon Valley while yer at, they made those microchips that helped
>>> drive the Evil Empire into the grave. Thank Pope John Paul II, too, he
>>> inspired hope behind the Iron Curtain and at Reagan's urgings he
>>> declined to back the left - wing whacko European Nuclear Freeze

Movement
>>> - which we've since found out had been funded by the Soviet KGB in any
>>> case...
>>>

>> I totally agree with all of that.

> While you are at it, don't forget to thank Reagan for funding and
> training Islamic fundamentalists like Osama bin Laden and providing them
> with stinger missiles. The Russians had gone in to fight the rising
> militant fundies and Reagan and his administration saw that as an
> opportunity to throw them a royal screwing by dragging them into a
> Vietnam type conflict that they could not win. If they had helped the
> Russians beat the Islamofascists back then instead of undermining them
> we would at least know who are enemies are now. Unfortunately, their
> plan worked. They screwed the Russians, and now the Islamist threat is
> worse than ever. Yep. Thank you Ronald Reagan.

Unfortunately, I think both sides of the coin are true.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Friday, 11(XI)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Day After Thanksgiving
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 5dys 9hrs 57mins
I'm not dead. I'm electroencephelographically challenged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:35:22 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:42:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...

>>> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think
>>> anybody took slingshots to war.

>> well, there was that punk david...
>>
>> your pal,
>> goliath

> Heh. Wonder what would have happened if he'd missed? My guess is that
> there'd be a lot more philistines around...

that hardly seems possible.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...

<snip>
>> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead accurate
>> with a slingshot.

> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think
> anybody
> took slingshots to war.

Hardly anybody besides Alexander, Hannibal, the Persians and Romans,
Egyptians, etc.
Why do you think the Balearian isles (Mallorca, Menorca) were named thusly ?
Because the best sling-shooters came from there ...
An egg-sized stone or copper-ingot will ruin your day.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Nov 2008 01:38:27p, Michael Kuettner told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" schrieb :
>> On Thu 27 Nov 2008 05:37:20p, T told us...

> <snip>
>>> When I was a kid we had machetes and slingshots. Kids are dead
>>> accurate with a slingshot.

>> We didn’t have machetes, but we did have slingshots. I don’t think
>> anybody
>> took slingshots to war.
>>

> Hardly anybody besides Alexander, Hannibal, the Persians and Romans,
> Egyptians, etc.

Well, I was thinking of modern times.

> Why do you think the Balearian isles (Mallorca, Menorca) were named
> thusly ? Because the best sling-shooters came from there ...
> An egg-sized stone or copper-ingot will ruin your day.

That would probably ruin anybody’s day.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 11(XI)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of St. Andrew, First Sunday of Advent
Countdown till Christmas Day
3wks 3dys 7hrs 26mins
I'd love to, but the Prime Directive forbids it.