occupant

Default mouldy cheese Q

Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
feedback.
MOM PEAGRAM

Vacuum seal it.

"occupant" > wrote in message
> Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
> I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
> I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
> after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
> I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
> prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
> the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
> feedback.

Julia Altshuler

You can try giving it a quick dunk in white vinegar, but two weeks for
the mold to start sounds about right to me.

--Lia

occupant wrote:
> Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
> I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
> I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
> after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
> I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
> prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
> the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
> feedback.

occupant

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> Vacuum seal it.

Is that a special technique or is it expensive equipment?
Arri London

occupant wrote:

> Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
> I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
> I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
> after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
> I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
> prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
> the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
> feedback.

Try the old trick of wrapping it in vinegar-soaked cheesecloth. Change
the wrapping every few days.

Or put chunks of it in brine and change the brine every few days. That
sort of mozzarella isn't really meant to be kept for very long.

MOM PEAGRAM

"occupant" > wrote in message
> MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> >
> > Vacuum seal it.

> Is that a special technique or is it expensive equipment?

I suppose expense is debateable, if you save on less spoiled food. But, yes
I'm speaking of a Tilia. I've tried other brands and they just don't work
as well.

Arri London

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> "occupant" > wrote in message
> > MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> > >
> > > Vacuum seal it.

> > Is that a special technique or is it expensive equipment?

> I suppose expense is debateable, if you save on less spoiled food. But, yes
> I'm speaking of a Tilia. I've tried other brands and they just don't work
> as well.

We have a 20+ year old Krups vacuum bag sealer that works perfectly
well. Haven't tried a Tilia cos I don't know anyone close by who has
one. Would be nice to compare.
maxine in ri

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2004 02:08:15 GMT, occupant
> > wrote:
>
> >Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
> >I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
> >I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
> >after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
> >I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
> >prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
> >the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
> >feedback.

> Cleaning your fridge (and drip pan - if any) with bleach would
> probably help, as well as cutting on a clean cutting board when
> it's out.

Not to mention washing one's hands prior to touching the cheese.

> I don't get noticeable mold on opened mozzarella for probably 5
> weeks or more. Freezing it, it often separates back into its curd
> formations and gets crumbly (not the balls usually, but the blocks
> do).
>
> -sw

maxine in ri
MOM PEAGRAM

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> > > Is that a special technique or is it expensive equipment?

> > I suppose expense is debateable, if you save on less spoiled food. But,

yes
> > I'm speaking of a Tilia. I've tried other brands and they just don't

work
> > as well.

> We have a 20+ year old Krups vacuum bag sealer that works perfectly
> well. Haven't tried a Tilia cos I don't know anyone close by who has
> one. Would be nice to compare.

We just upgraded from a Tilia Compact II to a 380 I believe with 3 sealing
functions. I "don't" like the new one. It works just as well and better in
some respects, but it wastes a lot of bag because of the design of the lid
and sealing bar.

Arri London

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > MOM PEAGRAM wrote:

> > > I suppose expense is debateable, if you save on less spoiled food. But,

> yes
> > > I'm speaking of a Tilia. I've tried other brands and they just don't

> work
> > > as well.

> > We have a 20+ year old Krups vacuum bag sealer that works perfectly
> > well. Haven't tried a Tilia cos I don't know anyone close by who has
> > one. Would be nice to compare.

> We just upgraded from a Tilia Compact II to a 380 I believe with 3 sealing
> functions. I "don't" like the new one. It works just as well and better in
> some respects, but it wastes a lot of bag because of the design of the lid
> and sealing bar.

Yes, that could get expensive. The Krups doesn't waste any bag at all,
which is nice, as they are getting more difficult to obtain.

Kajikit

occupant had something important to tell us on Sun, 09 May 2004
02:08:15 GMT:

>Most cheese I freeze so I have no problem.
>I buy Mozzarella in large blocks for pizzas but no matter how tightly
>I wrap it, it starts to go mouldy on the outside in a bout two weeks
>after I have opened it from the store packaging. I cut off the mould.
>I wrap it very well in plastic. Is there anything I should be doing to
>prevent the mould from forming? If I bought some paraffin and covered
>the cheese in that, would that make a difference? Thanks for any
>feedback.

You can freeze mozarella too... we buy it in the pregrated packs and
usually use most of the pack at a time - the rest goes into the
freezer because if it stays in the fridge it'll be mouldy inside a
week! It's just one of those things...

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 29 April 2004 - 61 cards, 41 SB pages (plus 3 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
occupant

> Do you grate the cheese before freezing?

I have grated and cut in blocks mozzarella cheese before freezing it but
I prefer for pizzas to keep it fresh whenever possible. All cheese are
kept separate.

Drunken Cheese in a Bowl (Beer Cheese Soup) - DinkingAround.org DinkingAround Recipes 4 19-11-2014 01:33 PM
Mouldy Cheese [email protected] General Cooking 13 29-04-2007 12:40 PM
mouldy xmas pudding Wendy Baking 0 28-10-2005 01:29 AM
mouldy xmas pudding Paul Baking 0 27-10-2005 05:28 PM
mouldy/dirty bread board Raelene Cooking Equipment 10 24-08-2005 03:43 AM