Dawn

Default cleaning a burned stovetop

Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.

Dawn

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 25 Jun 2005 09:02:30p, Dawn wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
> glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
> suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
> still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
> scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.

Use a single-edged razor blade to scrape as much as possible off the glass.
Then make a slurry of hot water and dishwasher detergent. Spread it on and
let set for at least 30 minutes. Wash off and rinse well.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/25/2005 9:09:19 PM

Larry G

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
> Use a single-edged razor blade to scrape as much as possible off the
> glass.
> Then make a slurry of hot water and dishwasher detergent. Spread it on
> and
> let set for at least 30 minutes. Wash off and rinse well.

I've got some stubborn grease stains around my burners that are the same. Do
you know if you're idea would work with that. So far, something like glass
cleaner isn't doing the trick. I'm thinking of getting "Easy-Off" or
something.

Larry

sf

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 21:17:52 -0700, Larry G wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ...
> > Use a single-edged razor blade to scrape as much as possible off the
> > glass.
> > Then make a slurry of hot water and dishwasher detergent. Spread it on
> > and
> > let set for at least 30 minutes. Wash off and rinse well.

> I've got some stubborn grease stains around my burners that are the same. Do
> you know if you're idea would work with that. So far, something like glass
> cleaner isn't doing the trick. I'm thinking of getting "Easy-Off" or
> something.

No problem. I just pour/squirt on a potent mix of amoniawater and let
it sit for a while to loosen. After that, I use a spatula to
scrape/push it off and voila... it's clean.

Allan Matthews

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 04:02:30 GMT, Dawn >
wrote:

>Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
>glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
>suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
>still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
>scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.
>

>Dawn

I use a single edge razor blade in a holder and a paste of Ajax.
Allan W2IJL

Curly Sue

wrote:

>Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
>glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
>suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
>still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
>scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.
>
>Dawn

What about your Power Dissolver, Dawn? Sorry, I couldn't resist. :>
Dawn Power Dissolver is more for grease, I believe, so probably
wouldn't work so well for your problem and my guess is wouldn't be
"recommended" for the cooktop anyway.

But I have a question. Darth has gas-through-glass, which means the
surface around his burners is the same as your cooktop. The stuff
they sell to clean and condition the surface is supposed to prevent
sticking in addition to cleaning. It is waxy and applies like car
polish. Do you have the same stuff? And it didn't work?

Sue(tm)
Dawn

Curly Sue wrote:

> But I have a question. Darth has gas-through-glass, which means the
> surface around his burners is the same as your cooktop. The stuff
> they sell to clean and condition the surface is supposed to prevent
> sticking in addition to cleaning. It is waxy and applies like car
> polish. Do you have the same stuff? And it didn't work?

Don't have that stuff. What I got with the stove is simply a bottle of
Soft Scrub. That and a plastic scrubbie has worked on everything else I
have ever spilt on a glass stove in the past ten years.

I'll have to dig out a razorblade. I think my husband has some he keeps
for the fishtank.

Dawn

hob

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
> glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
> suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
> still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
> scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.

1) You likely have rice starch/sugar (i.e., now "caramelized" sugar) stuck
to the top, and maybe even a little protein mixed in.
To remove stuff stuck to your non-porous surface, you need to either
-penetrate the stuff with something that will get deep and break the
bond to the stove top, so that it will wipe off (chemicals aka cleaners - ok
for glass),
-or mechanically break its bond by using force (like with cleaners with
abrasives in them or scrapers - both bad for glass).

2) Downside of your heat resistant glass top - The glass is tempered to take
the heat, making it soft. And that means it scratches much more easily than
regular glass.
Upside - Being glass, it can take some powerful chemicals.

So basically, you want to try to dissolve the bond to the surface rather
than try to mechanically break the bond.

Emphasis here - Soft glass means no abrasives like comet, no razor blades,
no metal scrapers, no metal spatulas, etc.
(You go at it with a razor blade or scraper that has a tiny nick in it, or
a new one that jams a bit of hard gunk along the edge, or press and edge too
much, and it WILL scratch the top.
Can you get lucky and get away with it? Sometimes, with a brand new
blade. And sometimes not - I cut a scratch in a pane of regular "hard" glass
with a razor blade that I had inspected before use, while being careful,
from a blade that picked up a nick/contaminant during the cleaning).

The old standby, ammonia, left on the stain under a paper towel for a ten
minutes or so if it it didn't release it outright, also works pretty well at
loosening things on glass.

If that doesn;t get rid of it, wash it off and try a damp paste of baking
soda or TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, an industrial cleaner), left on the cool
surface under a damp paper towel for a half hour often.

there are also some special cleaners for damaged glass tops at the
appliance-parts stores - specifically for removing stubborn stains.

hope it helps........

> Dawn

Dawn

hob wrote:

Thanks, really good tips for cleaning the stovetop.

I've got about half of it up so far, had left it soaking with soap under
a wet sponge overnight and when I hit it gently with a new razor blade
it came up easily.

Now to get the other two spots.

Dawn

> 1) You likely have rice starch/sugar (i.e., now "caramelized" sugar) stuck
> to the top, and maybe even a little protein mixed in.
> To remove stuff stuck to your non-porous surface, you need to either
> -penetrate the stuff with something that will get deep and break the
> bond to the stove top, so that it will wipe off (chemicals aka cleaners - ok
> for glass),
> -or mechanically break its bond by using force (like with cleaners with
> abrasives in them or scrapers - both bad for glass).
>
> 2) Downside of your heat resistant glass top - The glass is tempered to take
> the heat, making it soft. And that means it scratches much more easily than
> regular glass.
> Upside - Being glass, it can take some powerful chemicals.
>
> So basically, you want to try to dissolve the bond to the surface rather
> than try to mechanically break the bond.
>
> Emphasis here - Soft glass means no abrasives like comet, no razor blades,
> no metal scrapers, no metal spatulas, etc.
> (You go at it with a razor blade or scraper that has a tiny nick in it, or
> a new one that jams a bit of hard gunk along the edge, or press and edge too
> much, and it WILL scratch the top.
> Can you get lucky and get away with it? Sometimes, with a brand new
> blade. And sometimes not - I cut a scratch in a pane of regular "hard" glass
> with a razor blade that I had inspected before use, while being careful,
> from a blade that picked up a nick/contaminant during the cleaning).
>
> The old standby, ammonia, left on the stain under a paper towel for a ten
> minutes or so if it it didn't release it outright, also works pretty well at
> loosening things on glass.
>
> If that doesn;t get rid of it, wash it off and try a damp paste of baking
> soda or TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, an industrial cleaner), left on the cool
> surface under a damp paper towel for a half hour often.
>
> there are also some special cleaners for damaged glass tops at the
> appliance-parts stores - specifically for removing stubborn stains.
>
> hope it helps........

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 26 Jun 2005 12:30:15p, Dawn wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> hob wrote:
>
> Thanks, really good tips for cleaning the stovetop.
>
> I've got about half of it up so far, had left it soaking with soap under
> a wet sponge overnight and when I hit it gently with a new razor blade
> it came up easily.
>
> Now to get the other two spots.
>

> Dawn

That's good news!

Food for thought and extra cautiion in the future, though... I have owned
three ranges with smooth glass cooktops. In each owner's manual there is a
warning about sugary substances cooking onto the glass surface. They all
state that burned on sugar can cause pitting and etching of the glass.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/26/2005 12:47:22 PM

Karen AKA Kajikit

wrote:

>Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
>glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
>suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
>still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
>scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.

bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) is a mild abrasive that will NOT
hurt glass... I assume your stove has a solid glass top with the
elements embedded in it? If so, just sploosh the bicarb onto it and
rub at it with a damp cloth, then rinse off well... I've used it to
clean the inside of the glass oven door with great success.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
maxine in ri

connected the dots and wrote:

~Ack, I had rice pudding boil over yesterday and burn on my nice new
~glasstop stove. I've never seen anything so hard to get off. Any
~suggestions? I've soaked it, and that got most of it, but there are
~still two large spots that just won't budge. It just laughs at my
~scrubbie and the non-abrasive cleaner I'm supposed to use.
~
~
~
~Dawn

Boiling water and baking soda are my two fave cleaners for the burnt
top of the stove.

Something I have not tried, but have heard recommended, is to place a
dryer sheet (one of the antistatic ones, like bounce) on the burnt
stuff, wet it thoroughly, and leave it overnight. Usually, it's in a
burnt pan or pot that this is used, but It should work on the stove as
well.

maxine in ri