SPOONS

Default Any suggestion on what flavor????

Hi all,

I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make an
ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine & I
hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee

Take care,
SPOONS
My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

PENMART01

>"SPOONS"
>
>I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make an
>ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine & I
>hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee

Hubby gets a sweet pair, of desserts.

Spumoni.

TARTOFFU

Tartoffu is a dome-shaped Italian ice cream confection, generally served as a
dessert but can be eaten alone as a snack, usually served with demi-tasse.
Tartoffu can be prepared in various sized portions; for single serving, for
six, eight, as many as you'd like.

Here we go...

Choose an appropriate sized [round-bottomed] glass bowl, one large or several
small bowls. Line bowls with plastic wrap leaving extra lapping over the rim.
Place lined bowl(s) in fridge.

Next melt bittersweet chocolate, how much depending upon bowl size(s) - you can
never have too much chocolate - actually how much will become apparent shortly.

Coat inside of cold lined bowl(s) with melted chocolate. A fairly thick coat
is required, approximately 1/8" thick - you may need to apply 2-3 coats
chilling bowl(s) in freezer between coats.

Chocolate bowl(s) will be filled with ice cream, so begin preparing ice cream
filling ahead.

Here is the traditional ice cream recipe; prepare a quantity which will
suffice. Again, the method whereby this recipe is used for Tartoffu will
become apparent

Spumoni©

I think it would be very hard to find a spumoni mold nowadays, so instead, use
a large (3/4-quart) jello mold.

First Mixtu

2 cups milk
3/4 cups sugar
5 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla (or you can use any flavoring you wish)

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla in a saucepan and cook over very
low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick. Cool, then place in a
metal bowl and freeze until mixture is medium hard, about two hours. Mixture
should be soft enough to be spooned out easily.

Second Mixtu

1 cup heavy cream beaten stiff
1/4 cup sugar
9 maraschino cherries, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp. candied orange peel cut fine
2 tbsp blanched slivered almonds

Gently mix all of the ingredients together, and chill in refrigerator. Chill
your mold well. When first mixture is ready, line the inside of the mold with
it, leaving a hole big enough for the second mixture in the center. Fill hole
with second mixture, and cover with wax paper, or plastic wrap and freeze for
two hours. Dip in warm water quickly to unmold. Cut into portions of 6 to 8
------

Now fill your chocolate lined bowl(s) with ice cream, leaving 1/4" space at
top. Place filled bowl(s) into freezer to set up, about 1 hour. Meanwhile
re-heat or melt more chocolate. Then fill the 1/4" space with a thick coating
of chocolate - this will become the Tartoffu bottom. Cover Tartoffu(s) with
plastic wrap and place back into freezer until ready to serve.

To serve remove from freezer and peel back plastic wrap. Invert Tartoffu(s)
onto appropriate serving plate(s) and unmold gently and peel off remaining
plastic wrap.
Place one half a glacè cherry on top of each Tartoffu - Mangia!

---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

SportKite1

>From: "SPOONS"

>Hi all,
>
>I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make an
>ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine & I
>hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
2 (3 1/2 ounce) bars Tobler bittersweet
chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup milk
3 large egg yolks (at room temperature)
Pinch of salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine chopped chocolate, half-and-half and milk in a medium size saucepan.
Cook, stirring, over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth,
being careful not to scorch. Set aside.

Beat egg yolks with the salt and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add 1/2 cup of
the chocolate mixture to the yolks to warm them, mix thoroughly, then add yolk
mixture to the balance of the chocolate mixture. Return to heat and cook
slowly, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 2
minutes. Stir in vanilla extract off the heat and allow to cool.

Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's
directions.

Makes about 1 quart.

Arri London

SPOONS wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make an
> ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine & I
> hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS

Some sort of sorbet. Ice cream on a creamy cake isn't really very nice.
Margaret Suran

Arri London wrote:

> SPOONS wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make an
>>ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine & I
>>hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee
>>
>>Take care,
>>SPOONS

> Some sort of sorbet. Ice cream on a creamy cake isn't really very nice.

Ask Monika. She makes the best ice cream in the world, especially
hazelnut and peach. I had some of her ice cream once and no other has
tasted good in comparison, ever since.

--
Margaret Suran
Why is it that inside every older person is a younger person,

Nexis

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"SPOONS"
> >
> >I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make

an
> >ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine

& I
> >hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee

> Hubby gets a sweet pair, of desserts.
>
> Spumoni.
>

> TARTOFFU

<SNIP RECIPE>
> Place one half a glacè cherry on top of each Tartoffu - Mangia!
>
> ---
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Thanks so much for posting this Sheldon! I had a dessert similar to this
long ago at a local Italian place, but had forgotten the name...and when I
went back to find out, the place was gone due to the owner's passing. I've
tried describing it to a few people, but they didn't know what I was talking
about.
The version I had was made with black raspberry and chocolate gelatos in
place of the ice cream. It was a fantastic presentation on the plate...they
drizzled the plate with raspberry coulis and placed it in the center with a
sprig of mint. Yummy too!

kimberly

Nexis

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
rs.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'll be making a Tiramisu cake for my hubbys birthday & I'd like to make

an
> ice cream to compliment the dessert. I recently got an icecream machine &

> hope to get good use out of it this summer. heehee
>
> Take care,
> SPOONS
> My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

When you say a Tiramisu cake...what exactly does that mean to you? Is it a
true tiramisu? Or a cake prepared similarly? To me, ice cream with tiramisu
would be too much richness...but if it is a cake, with alot less filling
than traditional tiramisu, I would maybe make an espresso gelato to
accompany it.
Espresso Gelato
2 cups of milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 cup freshly brewed espresso

Add espresso to milk and heat to scalding point.
There will be small bubbles around the outside of the pan, and wisps of
steam from the center, but no bubbles in the center.
Remove from heat and add 1 cup of sugar, stirring to dissolve.
Whisk together 4 egg yolks.
Whisk one cup of the hot cream mixture into the yolks to temper then add
back to the pan slowly, stirring constantly. Switch from whisk to wooden
spoon, and heat
until thickened to custard stage. (You can test this by pulling the spoon
out and running your finger through the custard. If the line you make holds
it's shape, it's done.)
Stir continuously so as to keep the egg yolks from settling to the bottom
and cooking there. Do *not* boil. Strain to remove any tiny bits of egg and
chill before freezing.

NOTE: If you don't have an espresso maker you can heat the milk to scalding
and add 1/2 cup lightly crushed espresso roast coffee beans. Let steep 20
minutes, then strain and continue with recipe, reheating milk to scalding.
NOTE 2: For an added bit of decadence, melt some bittersweet chocolate,
about an ounce or so. When the gelato is nearly finished, drizzle in the
chocolate while the ice cream maker is churning. This will create flakes of
chocolate throughout the gelato.

kimberly