Daisy

Default Perfectly cooked sirloin steak

I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin steak,
but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
fillet.

the recipe I was given specified a cut that was no less than 2cm thick
- a tad under 1 inch. The method was as follows:

Put about 3 tablespoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a shallow
pan and heat to moderate. Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
with salt or garlic salt. Reduce the heat a bit and let the steaks
cook a further 3-4 minutes, turning if you think they are cooking too
fast.

Remove the steaks - and now comes the strange part. Put them in a
shallow dish or on a plate, and keep warm. I have a small extra cook
and grill oven and I put them in that at about 75 deg C.

Now you can make a sauce, using mushrooms and shallots or whatever in
the pan from which the steaks have been removed. I poured off some
of the olive oil. I cooked finely chopped shallots and when soft, I
added finely chopped mushrooms and let these cook for a while. Then I
added about half a cup of good red wine and let this reduce by half.
I then added about a cup of good rich beef stock, and let that reduce
until the mixture was syrupy. I added the steaks to this sauce and
served immediately.

I don't think I have ever eaten such tender melty steaks in my life.
Beef here in New Zealand is grass-fed and the texture therefore tends
to be different to grain-fed.

I've cooked sirloin in this way a couple of times since, with and
without any sauces. It's been tender, moist and good each time - and
I wonder if we cooks don't get all frantic if we don't get to eat the
meat when it is just cooked. Perhaps cooking steak in so much oil
and then leaving it in a warm place is the answer. Who knows? I
only know it worked for me.

Daisy

Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
Edwin Pawlowski

"Daisy" > wrote in message

> Remove the steaks - and now comes the strange part. Put them in a
> shallow dish or on a plate, and keep warm. I have a small extra cook
> and grill oven and I put them in that at about 75 deg C.

Not strange at all. Any cooked meat should be allowed to rest for a time.
That time can be 5 or 10 minutes for smaller cuts, up the 30 minutes for a
turkey. It redistributes the juices and allows the cooking process to
finish. That helps make it juicy al the way through.

Andy

Daisy > wrote in
:

> Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
> place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
> oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
> some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
> with salt or garlic salt.

You're sprinkling the same side twice?

I'd try using a covered saute pan instead of letting grease fly
everywhere.

Congratulations on your success!

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Bob (this one)

Andy wrote:
> Daisy > wrote in
> :
>

>>Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
>>place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
>>oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
>>some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
>>with salt or garlic salt.

> You're sprinkling the same side twice?
>
> I'd try using a covered saute pan instead of letting grease fly
> everywhere.

Or just use less oil. Covering it will steam the meat.

Pastorio
Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
> failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin steak,
> but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
> fillet.
>
> the recipe I was given specified a cut that was no less than 2cm thick
> - a tad under 1 inch. The method was as follows:
>
> Put about 3 tablespoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a shallow
> pan and heat to moderate. Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
> place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
> oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
> some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
> with salt or garlic salt. Reduce the heat a bit and let the steaks
> cook a further 3-4 minutes, turning if you think they are cooking too
> fast.
>
> Remove the steaks - and now comes the strange part. Put them in a
> shallow dish or on a plate, and keep warm. I have a small extra cook
> and grill oven and I put them in that at about 75 deg C.
>
> Now you can make a sauce, using mushrooms and shallots or whatever in
> the pan from which the steaks have been removed. I poured off some
> of the olive oil. I cooked finely chopped shallots and when soft, I
> added finely chopped mushrooms and let these cook for a while. Then I
> added about half a cup of good red wine and let this reduce by half.
> I then added about a cup of good rich beef stock, and let that reduce
> until the mixture was syrupy. I added the steaks to this sauce and
> served immediately.
>
> I don't think I have ever eaten such tender melty steaks in my life.
> Beef here in New Zealand is grass-fed and the texture therefore tends
> to be different to grain-fed.
>
> I've cooked sirloin in this way a couple of times since, with and
> without any sauces. It's been tender, moist and good each time - and
> I wonder if we cooks don't get all frantic if we don't get to eat the
> meat when it is just cooked. Perhaps cooking steak in so much oil
> and then leaving it in a warm place is the answer. Who knows? I
> only know it worked for me.
>
> Daisy
>
> Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

The BIG thing is that there are sirloin steak and then there are sirloin
steak. THE SINGULARLY BIG DIFFERENCE is the amount of "marbling" in the
meat. The more marbling (within reason of course ) the more tender and
flavorful the steak will be.

Unfortunately, the majority of meat (of any kind ) available in this
country, is of a poorer quality than what is found elsewhere in the
world. The primary reason.....the beef is not pasture fed, it is grain
fed. The grain (which is grown with artificial fertilizer ) does not
provide the proper nutrients to the animal. A prime example is the
substance CoQ10. This substance is REQUIRED for proper health of the
heart. Pasture fed beef have almost 400 times the amount of this
substance than grain fed beef. There are many additional substances
which are also lacking in grain fed beef.

If you have the opportunity to compare the same cuts of grain fed beef
and pasture fed beef (frequently imported from Australia and New Zealand
) look at the amount of marbling in each AND the color of the marbling.
The pasture fed beef will have more marbling and it will be much more
white in color than the grain fed beef.

I will now get off the soap box and let the next person have their turn
on it. {:-)

Peter Aitken

"Daisy" > wrote in message
>I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
> failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin steak,
> but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
> fillet.

Sirloin is not from the fillet - it is a separate cut entirely. Steaks cut
from the fillet are called filet mignon in the US.

--
Peter Aitken

Shaun aRe

"Daisy" > wrote in message
> I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
> failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin steak,
> but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
> fillet.
>
> the recipe I was given specified a cut that was no less than 2cm thick
> - a tad under 1 inch. The method was as follows:
>
> Put about 3 tablespoons of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a shallow
> pan and heat to moderate. Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
> place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
> oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
> some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
> with salt or garlic salt. Reduce the heat a bit and let the steaks
> cook a further 3-4 minutes, turning if you think they are cooking too
> fast.
>
> Remove the steaks - and now comes the strange part. Put them in a
> shallow dish or on a plate, and keep warm. I have a small extra cook
> and grill oven and I put them in that at about 75 deg C.
>
> Now you can make a sauce, using mushrooms and shallots or whatever in
> the pan from which the steaks have been removed. I poured off some
> of the olive oil. I cooked finely chopped shallots and when soft, I
> added finely chopped mushrooms and let these cook for a while. Then I
> added about half a cup of good red wine and let this reduce by half.
> I then added about a cup of good rich beef stock, and let that reduce
> until the mixture was syrupy. I added the steaks to this sauce and
> served immediately.
>
> I don't think I have ever eaten such tender melty steaks in my life.
> Beef here in New Zealand is grass-fed and the texture therefore tends
> to be different to grain-fed.
>
> I've cooked sirloin in this way a couple of times since, with and
> without any sauces. It's been tender, moist and good each time - and
> I wonder if we cooks don't get all frantic if we don't get to eat the
> meat when it is just cooked. Perhaps cooking steak in so much oil
> and then leaving it in a warm place is the answer. Who knows? I
> only know it worked for me.
>
> Daisy
>
> Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

Strange - I'd always been told it was "A Bad Thing®T" to salt steak before
cooking it?!?

Anyway - glad it was good! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Sheldon

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Daisy" wrote:
> >I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
> > failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin

steak,
> > but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
> > fillet.
> >

> Sirloin is not from the fillet - it is a separate cut entirely.

Steaks cut
> from the fillet are called filet mignon in the US.

Um, in the US there is no such beef cut as "fillet" ... filet mignon is
cut from the *tenderloin*. Sirloin may well contain a portion of the
tenderloin. The OP is not from the US, in other countries meat is
butchered differently and goes by different nomenclature. The OP may
like to know that top sirloin makes excellent ground steak, ie. 12
ounce portions formed into one inch thick ovals, grilled/fried.

The uninformed often refer to "fillet" steak when they mean Delmonico
steak, Kansas City (strip) steak, shell steak, sirloin club steak and
strip steak... if ever you see "fillet steak" listed on a US restaurant
menu consider it an omen and walk out.

sirloin
This cut of beef lies between the very tender SHORT LOIN and the much
tougher ROUND. As would be expected, the meat cuts from the portion
near the short loin are more tender than those closer to the round.
Sirloin is usually cut into steaks or roasts. Bone removed, the cuts
are referred to by the names of the three main muscles. Top sirloin is
a continuation of the tender top loin muscle of the short loin. *The
tenderloin is part of the tenderest muscle (which also continues from
the short loin)* and the bottom sirloin, which is part of the same
(less tender) sirloin tip muscle found in the ROUND. The best-known
bone-in sirloin steaks (in order of tenderness) are pinbone, flat bone,
round bone and wedge bone.

=A9 Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
=20
=20
Sheldon

notbob

On 2005-05-16, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

> It redistributes the juices....

Think about that one for a minute. Does it sound as ridiculous to you
as it does to me?

nb
Sheldon

notbob wrote:
> On 2005-05-16, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > It redistributes the juices....

> Think about that one for a minute. Does it sound as ridiculous to

you
> as it does to me?

Nothing ridiculous about it, allowing meat to rest after cooking does
exactly that... it's actually the cooling (the meat isn't really tired)
that causes the natural meat juices to redistribute more evenly
throuhgout. Cooking causes the natural meat juices to migrate towards
the exterior portion, cooling draws the juices back torwards the
central portion. Heating causes the muscle fibers to relax and release
their fluids, cooling causes those same muscle fibers to stiffen and
retain fluids... think about what happens to nipples in a cool
breeze.... really, it's erectile muscle fibers that cause nipples to
stiffen and retain milk by shutting of the milk ducts (babies would
starve if nipples became aroused during breast feeding), the same type
of muscle fibers in the skin that cause hair to become erect when
chilled and close off sweat glands. Kinda like how cold sucks your
tube steak back into your body until it's a mere nubbin, and no juice
seepage. LOL

I kid yoose not: http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/homework/s95609.htm

Sheldon

pavane

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Daisy" > wrote in message
> >I have tried for years and years to make sirloin steak work. And
> > failed. I don't know what cooks in the US regard as sirloin steak,
> > but let's just assume it is the meat cut one removed from the whole
> > fillet.
> >

> Sirloin is not from the fillet - it is a separate cut entirely. Steaks

cut
> from the fillet are called filet mignon in the US.

That is what he means...in English English the term "once removed
from" means directly adjoining in this case, as in the strip sirloin
being once removed from, or directly adjoining, the tenderloin.

pavane

Edwin Pawlowski

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-05-16, Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> It redistributes the juices....

> Think about that one for a minute. Does it sound as ridiculous to you
> as it does to me?
>
> nb

No, not at all. As the meat is heated, the moisture moves. Ever sweat a
copper joint? You can use the heat to move the molten solder to where you
want it. Meat resting allows the moisture to move back where it should be.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> Strange - I'd always been told it was "A Bad Thing®T" to salt steak before
> cooking it?!?
>
> Anyway - glad it was good! ',;~}~

There is some basis for the statement, but it really is not a problem.

When preserving meat, salt is used as it helps draw out the moisture. Hams
can be cured using a mix of salt, usually with pepper, sugar, etc. This is
a process that takes days or weeks. Salting a steak for the 6 minute
cooking time is not going to have that affect.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Shaun aRe

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> > Strange - I'd always been told it was "A Bad Thing®T" to salt steak

before
> > cooking it?!?
> >
> > Anyway - glad it was good! ',;~}~

> There is some basis for the statement, but it really is not a problem.
>
> When preserving meat, salt is used as it helps draw out the moisture.

Hams
> can be cured using a mix of salt, usually with pepper, sugar, etc.

Yup - got books on curing (gonna try and do some this year actually, aside
from the smoking I've already had a crack at...).

> This is
> a process that takes days or weeks. Salting a steak for the 6 minute
> cooking time is not going to have that affect.

but, does it not have any noticeable negative effect on the outcome? Just
curious as to why there's so much out there against salting it before
cooking (more for beef steaks than anything IME).

Shaun aRe

zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
>> Daisy > wrote in
>> :
>>

>>> Sprinkle the steaks with garlic salt and
>>> place salt-side down in the pan when the steaks make a sizzle. The
>>> oil will spatter all over the place, so wear an all-cover apron of
>>> some sort. After about 3 minutes, turn the steaks over and sprinkle
>>> with salt or garlic salt.

>> You're sprinkling the same side twice?
>>
>> I'd try using a covered saute pan instead of letting grease fly
>> everywhere.

> Or just use less oil. Covering it will steam the meat.
>
> Pastorio

I cover it with a screen if it starts to pop; that lets most of the
steam out but traps most of the flying grease.

I don't use olive oil. I trim off a little fat and cook that first. If
the meat is too lean to trim anything, I've been known to use a
tablespoon of lard to cook the steaks in.

Bob

Bob (this one)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Daisy > wrote in
>>> :

>>> You're sprinkling the same side twice?
>>>
>>> I'd try using a covered saute pan instead of letting grease fly
>>> everywhere.

>> Or just use less oil. Covering it will steam the meat.
>>
>> Pastorio

> I cover it with a screen if it starts to pop; that lets most of the
> steam out but traps most of the flying grease.
>
> I don't use olive oil. I trim off a little fat and cook that first. If
> the meat is too lean to trim anything, I've been known to use a
> tablespoon of lard to cook the steaks in.

This past week, I did my annual 4-H Creative Chefs extravaganza where we
cook together - me and a couple dozen kids. It's always a blast and the
kids get to cook and eat stuff.

This year we did a version of Navajo Fry Bread and piadine, an Italian
flat bread. Both call for lard. Most of the kids had never had any.
Several parents wanted to "discuss" it with me. I said, "The recipe
calls for lard. We'll use lard." The discussions died.

The kids got flour all over themselves and bits of dough stuck to their
clothes and hair. And all had a swell time and took home lots of cool
stuff. Lard everywhere...

Here's what we did:

NAVAJO FRY BREAD
Makes about a dozen and a half rounds.
This one is popular all over the Southwest. Sometimes it's served
sugared, other times as bread to accompany a meal.
2 cups oil for frying
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 cups warm milk
In a large heavy bottomed frying pan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil or
lard to 365ĚŠF. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt
and milk; mix well. When the dough has pulled together, form it into
small balls and press and pat them flat; about 1/4-inch thick. Put 3 or
4 at a time into the hot oil. When the rounds become golden on the
bottom, flip them over and cook the second side until golden. Drain on
paper towels and serve hot, either plain as part of dinner or as a
dessert with honey and butter.

PIADINE (PYAH-DEE-NEH)
Makes 8 to 10, depending on how big you want them
This Italian flat bread is usually made with flour, salt, water and
lard and dry-fried on a griddle or cast iron pan. It is wonderful as a
sandwich base for cured meats and cheeses. It can also be made into a
dessert item by filling before cooking as described below.
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons of lard or shortening
1/2 cup warm water
Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the flour and add
the lard and the water. Mix well and knead on a lightly floured surface
until smooth and elastic, between 5 and 10 minutes. Cover with a floured
towel for about 20 minutes. Knead again and divide into 8 to 10 equal
pieces. Sprinkle with flour and roll out into a 6- to 8-inch wide
circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Dock (pierce) with a fork and cook on a
dry griddle or cast iron frying pan for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Test the pan with a few drops of cold water. Its ready when the water
skips and skitters across its surface. If the water just sits and boils,
the pan is not hot enough to use. When its ready, drop a disk of dough
onto the griddle. When cooked, little charred bubbles form on the dough.
They need to be checked fairly regularly as the process goes quickly.
When cooked, stack the piadine under a towel or tuck them into a paper
bag so they stay warm.
Piadine can be used as a base on which other foods are piled. In that
case, serve warm with cured meats and fresh cheeses. A salad piled on it
goes well with the chewy, dense texture. Or, brush lightly with olive
oil, sprinkle with fresh chopped rosemary and salt like a foccacia.
Alternatively, spread filling on one half of the piadina, fold over the
other half and cut into two wedges, or sandwich the filling between two
piadine and cut into quarters. Fillings can be chopped or ground
cheeses, meats like mortadella, grilled and thinly sliced sausages or
anything else that lends itself to being spread
Or you can spread a thin layer of Nutella or something like it on half
the uncooked piadina. Fold the other half over and crimp the edges. Cook
as usual. Careful eating it, the filling will be hot.
To reheat, brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with fresh chopped
rosemary and salt and return to the oven for a few minutes. Serve warm.

YEAST BREAD VARIANT OF PIADINE
1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water (110?F)
3 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
olive oil to finish
In a bowl, combine yeast, water and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Let
proof about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of flour, the oil, and salt, and stir
with a heavy spoon to make a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and
knead until smooth, adding more flour if needed to make a soft but still
slightly moist dough. Shape into a ball, dust with flour and cover with
a floured towel to rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Punch it down,
knead, and cut into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a circle about
1/4-inch thick, 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Dock the dough and cook on
the griddle as above until golden with some dark spots. Remove, brush
lightly with the olive oil and repeat with the remaining dough. Roll the
bread around the toppings of choice and serve warm
In a processor, I put the yeast, water and a bit of flour in the bowl
and let them work for 10 minutes or so. Then dump everything in and run
it for about 45 seconds. It forms a ball. The dough should be soft and
slightly sticky. I put it into sprayed bowl to rise. Cover with plastic
wrap. Finish as above.
Andy

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:118lv9fndj298f7
@corp.supernews.com:

> NAVAJO FRY BREAD
> Makes about a dozen and a half rounds.
> This one is popular all over the Southwest. Sometimes it's served
> sugared, other times as bread to accompany a meal.
> 2 cups oil for frying
> 4 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
> 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
> 2 1/2 cups warm milk

Bob,

For the Navajo Fry Bread,

Can I use non-fat skim milk here, or is whole milk a must?

Thanks,

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Bob (this one)

Andy wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:118lv9fndj298f7
> @corp.supernews.com:
>

>> NAVAJO FRY BREAD
>> Makes about a dozen and a half rounds.
>>This one is popular all over the Southwest. Sometimes it's served
>>sugared, other times as bread to accompany a meal.
>> 2 cups oil for frying
>> 4 cups all-purpose flour
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
>> 2 1/2 cups warm milk

> Bob,
>
> For the Navajo Fry Bread,
>
> Can I use non-fat skim milk here, or is whole milk a must?

I used 2% fat milk last time I did it at home. Couldn't see any
difference. Skim should work, as well.

Pastorio
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._
> This year we did a version of Navajo Fry Bread and piadine, an Italian
> flat bread. Both call for lard. Most of the kids had never had any.
> Several parents wanted to "discuss" it with me. I said, "The recipe
> calls for lard. We'll use lard." The discussions died.

I cook with lard fairly frequently.
Nothing says good morning like potatoes fried in lard/bacon grease
with a dash or two of seasoning.

People freak when they hear this though. "You shouldn't do that, it
will make you fat", "Lard is bad for you", "how can you eat that
stuff?", "don't you worry about your health" and more comicly "I
thought your hair looked a little kinky"[0].

To any of them who make an issue of the health problems I point out
that I can't maintain my figure without it. Which coming from a 6+
foot person who is only 14.5 stone. Which promptly shuts them up.

I have found this to be more effective then explaining to them that
a) McDonald's fries aren't as tastier as they used to be (beef lard)
b) If they moved more and ate less they too could enjoy a touch of
lard
c) people who weigh twice as much as I do don't get the right to tell
me what I should or should not eat.
d) moderation is the key. Less hamburgers and more home made cooking
can do wonders for you.
e) if they ate less diet food and more real food they might find life
is fairly tastier. lard and all.

In short people (mostly the white ones) have developed this phobia
(unreasonable. illogical fear) of lard and it ****es me off.

Semi-On-Topic ASCII-Art: http://fauxascii.com/ascii/comic/mot_0042.html

[0] The person who said that one was black so it was "OK".

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
zxcvbob

Bob (this one) wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Bob (this one) wrote:

>>> Or just use less oil. Covering it will steam the meat.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> I cover it with a screen if it starts to pop; that lets most of the
>> steam out but traps most of the flying grease.
>>
>> I don't use olive oil. I trim off a little fat and cook that first.
>> If the meat is too lean to trim anything, I've been known to use a
>> tablespoon of lard to cook the steaks in.

> This past week, I did my annual 4-H Creative Chefs extravaganza where we
> cook together - me and a couple dozen kids. It's always a blast and the
> kids get to cook and eat stuff.
>
> This year we did a version of Navajo Fry Bread and piadine, an Italian
> flat bread. Both call for lard. Most of the kids had never had any.
> Several parents wanted to "discuss" it with me. I said, "The recipe
> calls for lard. We'll use lard." The discussions died.
>
> The kids got flour all over themselves and bits of dough stuck to their
> clothes and hair. And all had a swell time and took home lots of cool
> stuff. Lard everywhere...

Doncha love it when the same people that eat Oreos and Twinkies and
cheap-cakes-from-the-supermarket-bakery that are frosted with Crisco
want to preach at you about the evils of lard?

I have several pounds of rendered beef fat from the whole brisket I
roasted last weekend. I may use some of if for making pie crust; I've
never tried using tallow in pastry instead of lard or solid vegetable
shortening. If I don't like the results, I'll use the rest of the
tallow for making soap -- mixing it about 50-50 with moderately cheap
olive oil. If the pie crust turns out OK, I'll start using tallow
instead of Armour lard when I bake.

Now, what to do with that pound of rendered turkey fat in the fridge?
It's an interesting one because half of if settled out as off-white
solids at room temperature, and the rest was very slow to harden even in
the fridge. It should be good for frying potatoes, but since I'm not
eating much fried foods lately I might just throw it away.

Best regards,
Bob

Andy

zxcvbob > wrote in news:3f1a71F4t5skU1
@individual.net:

> Now, what to do with that pound of rendered turkey fat in the fridge?
> It's an interesting one because half of if settled out as off-white
> solids at room temperature, and the rest was very slow to harden even

in
> the fridge. It should be good for frying potatoes, but since I'm not
> eating much fried foods lately I might just throw it away.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Glad you brought that up. Last weekend I roasted two whole chickens and
poured the drippings into a measuring cup and put it in the fridge. It
cooled and the top half is the pasty white and the bottom half is dark.

Is the dark on the bottom the "schmaltz"? Or the other way around? Which
part has the flavor or what?! Which should I use?

I've got about half a bird of meat left and was thinking of putting the
chicken (broken up) back in a pan and heat it back up in the fat and add
some cream of chicken soup or something, and dish it into Italian rolls
with provolone!

Any thoughts?

Andy
Elaine Parrish

I have to agree about the lard. My paternal grandmother lived to be 95. My
maternal grandmother is 88 and her parents (died in the 1990s) lived to be
95 (her) and 102 (him). My parents are in their 70s and going strong.
Interestingly, as my paternal grandmother spent her last few years - in
good health, getting around under her own power, and sharp as a tack - in
an assisted living facilty, the place was full of elders just like her.

I think the "trick" for all of them was a lifetime of fresh, home-grown
foods and physical labor. It didn't much matter what they ate because the
constant physical activity kept the body functioning the way it is
supposed to. Today, it isn't so much the food as it is the growing and
processing chemicals and the polution in the air and water and the
decrease in physical activity.

Elaine, too

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Faux_Pseudo wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Bob (this one) wrote the following -._
> > This year we did a version of Navajo Fry Bread and piadine, an Italian
> > flat bread. Both call for lard. Most of the kids had never had any.
> > Several parents wanted to "discuss" it with me. I said, "The recipe
> > calls for lard. We'll use lard." The discussions died.

> I cook with lard fairly frequently.
> Nothing says good morning like potatoes fried in lard/bacon grease
> with a dash or two of seasoning.
>
> People freak when they hear this though. "You shouldn't do that, it
> will make you fat", "Lard is bad for you", "how can you eat that
> stuff?", "don't you worry about your health" and more comicly "I
> thought your hair looked a little kinky"[0].
>
> To any of them who make an issue of the health problems I point out
> that I can't maintain my figure without it. Which coming from a 6+
> foot person who is only 14.5 stone. Which promptly shuts them up.
>
> I have found this to be more effective then explaining to them that
> a) McDonald's fries aren't as tastier as they used to be (beef lard)
> b) If they moved more and ate less they too could enjoy a touch of
> lard
> c) people who weigh twice as much as I do don't get the right to tell
> me what I should or should not eat.
> d) moderation is the key. Less hamburgers and more home made cooking
> can do wonders for you.
> e) if they ate less diet food and more real food they might find life
> is fairly tastier. lard and all.
>
> In short people (mostly the white ones) have developed this phobia
> (unreasonable. illogical fear) of lard and it ****es me off.
>
> Semi-On-Topic ASCII-Art: http://fauxascii.com/ascii/comic/mot_0042.html
>
> [0] The person who said that one was black so it was "OK".
>
> --
> .-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
> ' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
> ((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
> ((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

Arri London

Andy wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in news:118lv9fndj298f7
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
> > NAVAJO FRY BREAD
> > Makes about a dozen and a half rounds.
> > This one is popular all over the Southwest. Sometimes it's served
> > sugared, other times as bread to accompany a meal.
> > 2 cups oil for frying
> > 4 cups all-purpose flour
> > 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
> > 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
> > 2 1/2 cups warm milk

> Bob,
>
> For the Navajo Fry Bread,
>
> Can I use non-fat skim milk here, or is whole milk a must?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Works perfectly fine with skim milk or reconstituted milk powder (which
some people on the Rez use).

The same frybread mix can be used to make sopaipillas. Just roll out the
dough, cut into squares and deep fry.
aem

Andy wrote:

> Glad you brought that up. Last weekend I roasted two whole chickens
> and poured the drippings into a measuring cup and put it in the
> fridge. It cooled and the top half is the pasty white and the bottom
> half is dark.
>
> Is the dark on the bottom the "schmaltz"? Or the other way around?
> Which part has the flavor or what?! Which should I use?

The top, congealed, pale part is the fat/schmaltz. The dark, liquid
portion on the bottom is juices. I usually don't save the fat, but it
is good for frying potato latkes, and for mixing into matzoh ball
dough. The juices should be full of roasted chicken flavor and will
add a lot of taste to a gravy or sauce. -aem

Andy

"aem" > wrote in news:1116462923.948869.80490
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Glad you brought that up. Last weekend I roasted two whole chickens
>> and poured the drippings into a measuring cup and put it in the
>> fridge. It cooled and the top half is the pasty white and the bottom
>> half is dark.
>>
>> Is the dark on the bottom the "schmaltz"? Or the other way around?
>> Which part has the flavor or what?! Which should I use?

> The top, congealed, pale part is the fat/schmaltz. The dark, liquid
> portion on the bottom is juices. I usually don't save the fat, but it
> is good for frying potato latkes, and for mixing into matzoh ball
> dough. The juices should be full of roasted chicken flavor and will
> add a lot of taste to a gravy or sauce. -aem

aem,

Thank you.

I was debating making chopped chicken liver paté and a recipe called for
schmaltz. Now that I have some, I should try a batch. I've had it before
and it was delicious!

So I'll use the juices to revive the remaining dryed out chicken and do
the sandwiches.

Thanks again,

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

Shaun aRe

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Bob (this one) wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

sprinkle

> >> I cover it with a screen if it starts to pop; that lets most of the
> >> steam out but traps most of the flying grease.
> >>
> >> I don't use olive oil. I trim off a little fat and cook that first.
> >> If the meat is too lean to trim anything, I've been known to use a
> >> tablespoon of lard to cook the steaks in.

> > This past week, I did my annual 4-H Creative Chefs extravaganza where we
> > cook together - me and a couple dozen kids. It's always a blast and the
> > kids get to cook and eat stuff.
> >
> > This year we did a version of Navajo Fry Bread and piadine, an Italian
> > flat bread. Both call for lard. Most of the kids had never had any.
> > Several parents wanted to "discuss" it with me. I said, "The recipe
> > calls for lard. We'll use lard." The discussions died.
> >
> > The kids got flour all over themselves and bits of dough stuck to their
> > clothes and hair. And all had a swell time and took home lots of cool
> > stuff. Lard everywhere...
> >

> Doncha love it when the same people that eat Oreos and Twinkies and
> cheap-cakes-from-the-supermarket-bakery that are frosted with Crisco
> want to preach at you about the evils of lard?
>
> I have several pounds of rendered beef fat from the whole brisket I
> roasted last weekend. I may use some of if for making pie crust; I've
> never tried using tallow in pastry instead of lard or solid vegetable
> shortening. If I don't like the results, I'll use the rest of the
> tallow for making soap -- mixing it about 50-50 with moderately cheap
> olive oil. If the pie crust turns out OK, I'll start using tallow
> instead of Armour lard when I bake.
>
> Now, what to do with that pound of rendered turkey fat in the fridge?
> It's an interesting one because half of if settled out as off-white
> solids at room temperature, and the rest was very slow to harden even in
> the fridge. It should be good for frying potatoes, but since I'm not
> eating much fried foods lately I might just throw it away.

For roasting veggies generally, potatoes especially. Goose fat has been used
traditionally here (likely many places!) for oven roasted potatoes, and is
still preferred by many, and lauded by many chefs. Maybe the turkey fat
would prove a good substitute?

Shaun aRe

Sirloin Steak & Red Curry!! Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 0 16-07-2010 12:31 AM
The Perfect Steak: Top Sirloin levelwave General Cooking 17 07-03-2007 03:30 PM
Balsamic-Glazed Sirloin Steak T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 13-02-2006 12:35 AM
Sirloin Steak Olé Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-02-2006 02:21 PM
Fandango Sirloin Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 21-06-2005 12:05 AM