Scott

Default Fudge recipe: cream vs. half-and-half

I intended to make fudge this evening for a get-together tomorrow, and I
picked up some heavy cream, having forgotten that my preferred recipe
calls for half-and-half.

I don't have any milk to "cut" the cream with; would using the cream do
anything but make the recipe richer? It's already, well, fudgey. I can't
imagine it being any richer. Worth it to get the half and half?

It's Alton Brown's recipe, BTW:

RECIPE: Chocolate Fudge

SOURCE: Alton Brown
CATEGORIES: Candy, Desserts

INGREDIENTS:

2 3/4 cups sugar
4 oz chocolate, unsweetened
3 tbsp butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup half-and-half
1 tbsp corn syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup nuts, roasted, chopped (optional)

METHOD:

Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2
tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup.
Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and
chocolate is melted.
Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and
boil for 3 minutes.
Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook until
the thermometer reads 234 degrees F.
Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir.
Let the mixture cool until it drops to 110 degrees F.
Add vanilla (and nuts, if desired), and mix until well-blended and the
shiny texture becomes matte.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Let sit in cool dry area until firm.
Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a
week.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Boboed

It'll be fine with the heavy cream...probably better.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 13 May 2005 12:50:23p, Scott wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I intended to make fudge this evening for a get-together tomorrow, and I
> picked up some heavy cream, having forgotten that my preferred recipe
> calls for half-and-half.
>
> I don't have any milk to "cut" the cream with; would using the cream do
> anything but make the recipe richer? It's already, well, fudgey. I can't
> imagine it being any richer. Worth it to get the half and half?
>
> It's Alton Brown's recipe, BTW:
>
> RECIPE: Chocolate Fudge
>
> SOURCE: Alton Brown
> CATEGORIES: Candy, Desserts
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> 2 3/4 cups sugar
> 4 oz chocolate, unsweetened
> 3 tbsp butter, plus more for greasing pan
> 1 cup half-and-half
> 1 tbsp corn syrup
> 1 tbsp vanilla extract
> 1 cup nuts, roasted, chopped (optional)
>

> METHOD:
>
> Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter.
> In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2
> tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup.
> Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved and
> chocolate is melted.
> Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and
> boil for 3 minutes.
> Remove the cover and attach a candy thermometer to the pot. Cook until
> the thermometer reads 234 degrees F.
> Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir.
> Let the mixture cool until it drops to 110 degrees F.
> Add vanilla (and nuts, if desired), and mix until well-blended and the
> shiny texture becomes matte.
> Pour into the prepared pan.
> Let sit in cool dry area until firm.
> Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a
> week.

Use the heavy cream. It will just be richer and more deadly! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"Scott" > wrote in message
>I intended to make fudge this evening for a get-together tomorrow, and I
> picked up some heavy cream, having forgotten that my preferred recipe
> calls for half-and-half.

See below - you'll be increasing the fast content quite a bit. you might want to
cut it a little.

Dimitri

Light cream, also called coffee or table cream, can contain anywhere from 18 to
30 percent fat, but commonly contains 20 percent. Light whipping cream, the form
most commonly available, contains 30 to 36 percent milk fat and sometimes
stabilizers and emulsifiers. Heavy cream, also called heavy whipping cream, is
whipping cream with a milk fat content of between 36 and 40 percent. It's
usually only available in specialty or gourmet markets. Whipping cream will
double in volume when whipped. Half-and-half is a mixture of equal parts milk
and cream, and is 10 to 12 percent milk fat. Neither half-and-half nor light
cream can be whipped.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 13 May 2005 03:51:06p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Fri 13 May 2005 12:50:23p, Scott wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I intended to make fudge this evening for a get-together tomorrow,
>>> and I picked up some heavy cream, having forgotten that my preferred
>>> recipe calls for half-and-half.
>>>
>>> I don't have any milk to "cut" the cream with; would using the cream
>>> do anything but make the recipe richer? It's already, well, fudgey. I
>>> can't imagine it being any richer. Worth it to get the half and half?
>>>
>>> It's Alton Brown's recipe, BTW:
>>>
>>> RECIPE: Chocolate Fudge
>>>
>>> SOURCE: Alton Brown
>>> CATEGORIES: Candy, Desserts
>>>
>>> INGREDIENTS:
>>>
>>> 2 3/4 cups sugar
>>> 4 oz chocolate, unsweetened
>>> 3 tbsp butter, plus more for greasing pan
>>> 1 cup half-and-half
>>> 1 tbsp corn syrup
>>> 1 tbsp vanilla extract
>>> 1 cup nuts, roasted, chopped (optional)
>>>

>>> METHOD:
>>>
>>> Grease an 8 by 8-inch pan with butter.
>>> In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, chocolate, 1 1/2
>>> tablespoons of the butter, half-and-half, and corn syrup.
>>> Over medium heat, stir with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved
>>> and chocolate is melted.
>>> Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover,
>>> and boil for 3 minutes. Remove the cover and attach a candy
>>> thermometer to the pot. Cook until the thermometer reads 234 degrees
>>> F. Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter. Do not stir.
>>> Let the mixture cool until it drops to 110 degrees F.
>>> Add vanilla (and nuts, if desired), and mix until well-blended and
>>> the shiny texture becomes matte.
>>> Pour into the prepared pan.
>>> Let sit in cool dry area until firm.
>>> Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a
>>> week.
>>>

>> Use the heavy cream. It will just be richer and more deadly! :-)
>>

> You've *always* been an evil shit stirrer <huge grin>
>
> Michael

I try my best, Michael. After all, someone's got to do it, and I just
don't get enough help from you! <veg>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 13 May 2005 05:06:40p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Fri 13 May 2005 03:51:06p, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
>>> :

>>> You've *always* been an evil shit stirrer <huge grin>
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> I try my best, Michael. After all, someone's got to do it, and I just
>> don't get enough help from you! <veg>
>>

> Well hell, I get slapped around when I'm bad
>
> Michael

LOL! You just have to learn to dodge faster!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974