Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe calls for whole milk or half-n-half

I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. The butter is added to
the custard before the eggs. Does the fat in the milk really make any
difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?

I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
tablespoon of butter to compensate.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
> whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. The butter is added to
> the custard before the eggs. Does the fat in the milk really make any
> difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?
>
> I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
> tablespoon of butter to compensate.

It's all just a matter of taste. You can try it with lowfat milk (with
or without the extra butter) and decide whether it's rich enough for
your tastes. Lowfat milk usually makes custards plenty rich enough for
me, so I'd probably just use whatever milk I had onhand, but some people
like the whole lipid shebang. I think half and half would be overkill,
but whole milk custards are quite decadent and good.

Serene

--
"I tend to come down on the side of autonomy. Once people are grown up,
I believe they have the right to go to hell in the handbasket of their
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
> whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. The butter is added to
> the custard before the eggs. Does the fat in the milk really make any
> difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?
>
> I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
> tablespoon of butter to compensate.
>
> Bob

Fat is a carrier of flavor. If you don't want to use half-n-half, I'd
try it with canned evaporated (NOT condensed) milk.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 6, 6:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
> > whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. *The butter is added to
> > the custard before the eggs. *Does the fat in the milk really make any
> > difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?

> > I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
> > tablespoon of butter to compensate.

I would add the extra butter rather than going out and buying whole
milk specifically for that one use.

> > Bob

> Fat is a carrier of flavor. *If you don't want to use half-n-half, I'd
> try it with canned evaporated (NOT condensed) milk.

Yeah, if you want it to be disgusting you could use canned milk.

> gloria p

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 13:45:04 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
>whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. The butter is added to
>the custard before the eggs. Does the fat in the milk really make any
>difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?
>
>I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
>tablespoon of butter to compensate.
>
>Bob

The fat in the milk does make a difference IMHO but it's a difference
in flavor. Butterfat in butter does not taste the same as butterfat
in butter. (If it did I'd just drop a spoonful of butter and one of
milk in my coffee, instead of half n half...)

Insofar as the fat content goes, the difference in fat between two
cups of whole milk and two cups of 1% milk is about half an ounce of
fat, equivalent to a tablespoon of butter (so you got the amount of
add'l butter spot-on!)

Best -- Terry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
>whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. The butter is added to
>the custard before the eggs. Does the fat in the milk really make any
>difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?
>
>I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
>tablespoon of butter to compensate.
>
>Bob

Of course it makes a difference. The question really is, will you like
it made with 1% milk instead. Sort of like the difference between
average ice cream and the premium brands. What counts is if you like
the end result.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 17:02:47 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® wrote:

> On Feb 6, 6:35*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I want to make some bread pudding, and the recipe calls for 2 cups of
>>> whole milk or half-n-half and 1/4 cup of butter. *The butter is added to
>>> the custard before the eggs. *Does the fat in the milk really make any
>>> difference here, or is it overwhelmed by the fat in the butter?

>>> I'm planning to make it with lowfat (1%) milk and maybe add an extra
>>> tablespoon of butter to compensate.

> I would add the extra butter rather than going out and buying whole
> milk specifically for that one use.
>>
>>> Bob

>> Fat is a carrier of flavor. *If you don't want to use half-n-half, I'd
>> try it with canned evaporated (NOT condensed) milk.

> Yeah, if you want it to be disgusting you could use canned milk.

i don't think people have to go to a whole lot of extra effort to disgust
you.

blake