Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Clabbered carton of half-and-half

Would it still be OK for mixing with skim milk and making yogurt? I
wouldn't use the bacteria in the H&H, I'd heat it to 180° and inoculate
with fresh commercial yogurt when it cooled to 105°.

That's what I was gonna use most of it for anyway, but I didn't get a
round tuit in time.

My family likes skim milk; I like lowfat milk but not skim, so I buy
skim milk and add a little cream of H&H to mine.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:51:14 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Would it still be OK for mixing with skim milk and making yogurt? I
>wouldn't use the bacteria in the H&H, I'd heat it to 180° and inoculate
>with fresh commercial yogurt when it cooled to 105°.
>
>That's what I was gonna use most of it for anyway, but I didn't get a
>round tuit in time.
>
>My family likes skim milk; I like lowfat milk but not skim, so I buy
>skim milk and add a little cream of H&H to mine.

It won't be a problem. I begin with low fat and add dried milk to my
yogurt to give it more body.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Would it still be OK for mixing with skim milk and making yogurt? I
> wouldn't use the bacteria in the H&H, I'd heat it to 180° and inoculate
> with fresh commercial yogurt when it cooled to 105°.
>
> That's what I was gonna use most of it for anyway, but I didn't get a
> round tuit in time.
>
> My family likes skim milk; I like lowfat milk but not skim, so I buy
> skim milk and add a little cream of H&H to mine.

I don't know... I probably wouldn't. A carton of half-and-half is
cheap enough that I wouldn't use it if it looked/tasted/smelled like I
wouldn't want to drink it. I made alfredo sauce last night with some
heavy cream (Brookstone) that I'd got on sale from Schnucks. Exp date
4/7/07. I didn't even think to taste it first because it was well
within the sell-by date.

I started the sauce then tasted it and it was just horrible. Bitter,
almost metallic. Then I made my 12 year-old son try it, without making
any comments about the taste (maybe my tastebuds are fried from last
night's stuffed jalapenos?). He gagged and literally wiped his tongue
off with a scott towel.

I can't imagine what could have made it taste so vile. I'm sorry now
that I dumped the rest of the carton down the drain. It should have
been evaluated as a potential chemical weapon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen > wrote in
:

> I don't know... I probably wouldn't. A carton of
> half-and-half is cheap enough that I wouldn't use it if it
> looked/tasted/smelled like I wouldn't want to drink it. I
> made alfredo sauce last night with some heavy cream
> (Brookstone) that I'd got on sale from Schnucks. Exp date
> 4/7/07. I didn't even think to taste it first because it
> was well within the sell-by date.

i never trust sell by dates on dairy products. i always smell
& taste first. just because it left the processor in good
shape doesn't mean the truck didn't have failing refrigeration
or the store didn't leave it on the shipping dock floor in 90F
heat for 8 hours.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 00:49:36 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
wrote:

> i never trust sell by dates on dairy products. i always smell
>& taste first. just because it left the processor in good
>shape doesn't mean the truck didn't have failing refrigeration
>or the store didn't leave it on the shipping dock floor in 90F
>heat for 8 hours.

Or someone decided not to buy it after all and chucked it on a shelf
somewhere. <those people should have their own special ring in
Dante's Hell>

--
See return address to reply by email