LaUna

Default Slicing Magic

This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here goes.

When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?

Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.

Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and your
clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.

What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms, olives?

What else???

elaine

"LaUna" > wrote in message
> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here

goes.

> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
> in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
> pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
>
> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
>
> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and your
> clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
> slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
>
> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms,

olives?

> What else???

Weird, I was in a store last week and saw this cleverly disguised
contraption and had to ask what it was - an egg slicer. I might have
thought more than twice about buying it if I'd known all the other stuff it
could have sliced.

Thanks for the tip.

Elaine

Jessica Vincent

"LaUna" > wrote in message
> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here

goes.

> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
> in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
> pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
>
> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
>
> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and your
> clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
> slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
>
> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms,

olives?

> What else???

That's funny. Just this past weekend I decided not to buy an egg slicer
while I was in a kitchen gadget store because I didn't think I'd use it.
Now I think I'll grab one next time that I am there.

Jessica

Louis Cohen

I use a mandoline when I have a lot of stuff to slice, typically cucumber
salad or maybe cole slaw for a party. But, if there isn't that much, I
really enjoy slicing with a nice, sharp knife.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"LaUna" > wrote in message
> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here

goes.

> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
> in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
> pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
>
> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
>
> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and your
> clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
> slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
>
> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms,

olives?

> What else???

JLove98905

I actually bought a mushroom slicer - same overall concept as an egg slicer,
only the cup where the egg would sit is mushroom shaped. In retrospect, I kind
of wish I'd gotten an egg slicer, because you can't really do eggs in the
mushroom slicer.

Live and learn, I guess. Then go buy an egg slicer
-jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:58:09 -0600, LaUna
> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here goes.
>
>When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
>in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
>pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?

<snippidy>

OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer forEVER and only
used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did
I never think of using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank
you for passing this on!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"
hahabogus

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer forEVER and only
> used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did
> I never think of using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank
> you for passing this on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
> had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
> been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
> good dinner." Anonymous.
>
> To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

You need a sturdy steel egg slicer...Mushrooms will eventually destroy a
plastic slicer.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
The Joneses

LaUna wrote:

> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here goes.
>
> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a mushroom
> in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty as you
> pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
>
> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
>
> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and your
> clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
> slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
>
> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms, olives?
>
> What else???

Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice cooked beets for pickled
beets.
Edrena.

Wayne Boatwright

The Joneses > wrote in
:

> LaUna wrote:
>
>> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here
>> goes.
>>
>> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a
>> mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty
>> as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
>>
>> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
>> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
>> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
>>
>> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
>> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and
>> your clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually,
>> the slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
>>
>> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms,
>> olives?
>>
>> What else???

> Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice cooked beets for
> pickled beets.
> Edrena.

That works great. I've done that several times. Grapes, however, will
squish and just make a mess.

I also have a "butter slicer" that takes a standard 1/4 lb. "stick" of
butter. I use that for slicing bananas.

Wayne
Katra

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> The Joneses > wrote in
> :
>
> > LaUna wrote:
> >
> >> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here
> >> goes.
> >>
> >> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he stuck a
> >> mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced it just as pretty
> >> as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
> >>
> >> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my idea), sliced
> >> strawberries!! I sliced two pints of strawberries in no time at all.
> >> Don't let the giant ones fool you, they too, will slice.
> >>
> >> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries, you will
> >> have strawberry spit all over the counter, backsplash, window and
> >> your clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually,
> >> the slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
> >>
> >> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly mushrooms,
> >> olives?
> >>
> >> What else???

> > Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice cooked beets for
> > pickled beets.
> > Edrena.

> That works great. I've done that several times. Grapes, however, will
> squish and just make a mess.
>
> I also have a "butter slicer" that takes a standard 1/4 lb. "stick" of
> butter. I use that for slicing bananas.
>
> Wayne

Why do you want to slice grapes? :-o
They are already bite sized...

K the curious?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

In rec.food.cooking, Katra > wrote:

> Why do you want to slice grapes? :-o
> They are already bite sized...

When I make a fruit salad, I always slice the grapes in half to release
the juice. Indeed, I find fruit salad with unsliced grapes to be
amateurish. YMMV.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
limey

"Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message > >This may be old to some of you but
I've never seen it posted, so here goes.

> OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer forEVER and only
> used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did
> I never think of using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank
> you for passing this on!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head", too. My egg slicer
is probably an antique. Now that I can branch out - I wonder how it would
work on small, firm tomatoes? (Reminder to me: go and find a small, firm
tomato.) Or maybe they'd squish.

Dora

kilikini

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message > >This may be old to some of you

but
> I've never seen it posted, so here goes.
> > >

> > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer forEVER and only
> > used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did
> > I never think of using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank
> > you for passing this on!
> >
> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

> That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head", too. My egg

slicer
> is probably an antique. Now that I can branch out - I wonder how it would
> work on small, firm tomatoes? (Reminder to me: go and find a small, firm
> tomato.) Or maybe they'd squish.
>
> Dora

My guess is that they'd squish. Anyone care to wager?

kili

limey

"kilikini" wrote in message >

"limey" wrote in message

> > "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message
> > >
> > > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer forEVER and only
> > > used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did
> > > I never think of using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank
> > > you for passing this on!
> > >
> > > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> > > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

> > That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head", too. My egg

> slicer
> > is probably an antique. Now that I can branch out - I wonder how it

would
> > work on small, firm tomatoes? (Reminder to me: go and find a small,

firm
> > tomato.) Or maybe they'd squish.
> >
> > Dora
> >

> My guess is that they'd squish. Anyone care to wager?
>
> kili

Not I - I know how to quit while I'm ahead. I don't want my nickel going
down the drain!

Dora

Dora