loraine

Default Coconut Juice

Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut juice in
shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
pleeeeeaaaassseee.

Thx
Loraine

KR3

Go to your local Asian grocery store. They sell them there. They are
usually .99 cents a can. Some with pulp and some w/o. Good luck!

jmcquown

KR3 wrote:
> Go to your local Asian grocery store. They sell them there. They are
> usually .99 cents a can. Some with pulp and some w/o. Good luck!

When I made Pina Colada's at home (back in the 70's) I used pineapple juice,
canned cream de coconut (the thick stuff), rum and crushed ice. No banana
but I can't see where that would hurt Whipped it together in the
blender. I was able to purchase cans of the the cream de coconut in the
drink mixer aisle at the grocery store.

Jill

Sheldon

loraine wrote:
> had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
> frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut

juice in
> shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it

Probably cream of coconut... sold in cans at most any stupidmarket..
look in the Hispanic foods section, for Goya Coco Lopez... there are
other brands too. There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you
mean 'coconut water', the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that
is not used for mixed drinks.

Sheldon

Peter Aitken

"loraine" > wrote in message
> Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
> frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut juice
> in
> shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
> pleeeeeaaaassseee.
>
> Thx
> Loraine

For drinks people usually use coconut cream, a sweetened coconut flavored
liquid. Most supermarkets have it in the "drink mixer" section. You can also
buy coconut milk in many groceries. It is not sweetened and is made from
steeping grated coconut in water and straining. Coconut juice, the liquid
inside the hollow part of the coconut, is not used in drinks as far as I
know. Be sure you know which you need. For a pina colada I bet it's the
coconut cream.

--
Peter Aitken

Arri London

loraine wrote:

> Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
> frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut juice in
> shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
> pleeeeeaaaassseee.
>
> Thx
> Loraine

The Asian shops will have coconut juice in tins/tetrapaks in the
refrigerated section. Coconut milk (which is not the same thing) will be
in the section with the tinned goods and can also come as a powder or
frozen.
Shaun aRe

"loraine" > wrote in message

> Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
> frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut juice

in
> shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
> pleeeeeaaaassseee.

Was it 'juice' as in the semi-clear liquid from the centre of a coconut
(best place to get that stuff is from the middle of a coconut, BTW!), or
true white coconut 'milk', which is pressed from the moist coconut flesh
itself (again, best if not only place to obtain such is from coconut flesh
<G>) ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "loraine" > wrote in message
> > Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana pieces,
> > frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut

juice
> > in
> > shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
> > pleeeeeaaaassseee.
> >
> > Thx
> > Loraine
> >

> For drinks people usually use coconut cream, a sweetened coconut flavored
> liquid. Most supermarkets have it in the "drink mixer" section. You can

also
> buy coconut milk in many groceries. It is not sweetened and is made from
> steeping grated coconut in water and straining. Coconut juice, the liquid
> inside the hollow part of the coconut, is not used in drinks as far as I
> know. Be sure you know which you need. For a pina colada I bet it's the
> coconut cream.

One *excellent* use I have found for coconut water, is to cool the mouth
after overdoing it with the chiles - I have tried all sorts of other
things/the usual suspects (milk, cheese, fruit juice etc.) and nothing
touches the c/water!

We happened to have some sat there on the counter at home when I taste
tested one of the first of my home grown Jamaica Red Hot (like a Caribbean
Red Habanero) by chewing half a fresh one - it was hotter than I'd hoped by
far - I screamed, I sweat, I cried, I sipped the c/water and swished it
around my mouth, and found instant, dreamy relief. I have since tried fresh
coconut flesh and coconut milk and while it does work some, it's no where
near as effective.

Funny huh?

Shaun aRe

Chris Neidecker

"loraine" > wrote in message
> Hi there, had a pina colada today, it consisted of frozen banana
> pieces,
> frozen pineapple pieces, ice and coconut juice. Never seen coconut
> juice in
> shops before so can anyone tell me where i can buy it from,
> pleeeeeaaaassseee.

The other day, as my toddler was running away from me in the
supermarket, I saw some bottled juice drinks on display. One flavor was
pineapple coconut. I didn't get over there to see what exactly was in
it, but my curiosity was piqued...it was in our new, really big Safeway
that carries a lot of gourmet-ish and expensive "natural" products, so
I'm not sure it's something you'd see in a regular supermarket. I will
check it out next time I'm there.

Bob

Sheldon wrote:

> There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean 'coconut water',
> the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for mixed
> drinks.

I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but coconut water
certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored rum. Sounds
like once again you deny the existence of something simply because you have
never encountered it.

Bob

Sheldon

Bob wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean 'coconut

water',
> > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for

mixed
> > drinks.

> I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

coconut water
> certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored rum.

Sounds
> like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

you have
> never encountered it.
>
> Bob

I never said it CANNOT be used for mixed drinks, I said it is "not"
used for mixed drinks... I know of no mixed drink that traditionally
uses coconut water... naturally anyone can make up some fercocktah
mixed drink, like you just did, even the other ingredients ain't
traditional, ain't even close... how come you forgot to make up the
name of that drink so we can look it up... too late.

Coconut water barely tastes of coconut... but it makes for a great
laxative... you should try it, Bob. Maybe your drink contained coconut
MILK, which is not coconut cream and is definitely not coconut water.
And there is no coconut juice... didja ever try to squeeze a coconut...
not the one setting on your shoulders.

Sheldon

Dave Smith

Bob wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean 'coconut water',
> > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for mixed
> > drinks.

> I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but coconut water
> certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored rum. Sounds
> like once again you deny the existence of something simply because you have
> never encountered it.

Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not personally
experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does not exist.
While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know several people who
went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the coconut drinks
they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and they were
injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> Bob wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean

'coconut
> water',
> > > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for

> mixed
> > > drinks.

> > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

> coconut water
> > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored

rum.
> Sounds
> > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

> you have
> > never encountered it.
> >
> > Bob

> I never said it CANNOT be used for mixed drinks, I said it is "not"
> used for mixed drinks... I know of no mixed drink that traditionally
> uses coconut water... naturally anyone can make up some fercocktah
> mixed drink, like you just did, even the other ingredients ain't
> traditional, ain't even close... how come you forgot to make up the
> name of that drink so we can look it up... too late.
>
> Coconut water barely tastes of coconut... but it makes for a great
> laxative... you should try it, Bob. Maybe your drink contained

coconut
> MILK, which is not coconut cream and is definitely not coconut water.
> And there is no coconut juice... didja ever try to squeeze a

coconut...
> not the one setting on your shoulders.
>
> Sheldon

Sorry, forgot the link:
http://www.gotouring.com/razzledazzl...t/coconut.html

Sheldon

Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean

'coconut water',
> > > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for

mixed
> > > drinks.

> > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

coconut water
> > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored

rum. Sounds
> > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

you have
> > never encountered it.

> Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not

personally
> experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does

not exist.
> While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know several

people who
> went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the

coconut drinks
> they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and they

were
> injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut full
they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no one
there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
tasteless... the best is made from cashew fruit. You either made that
up too or if they're your friends they're smarmy liars also. And no
one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
make small holes with a machette. I've been going to the Caribbean
regularly for most of my life, I own three gorgeous waterfront homes
there, two in Belize City, one in Corozal. Make up some more
fercocktah stories why doncha, Pinnochio Dave.

Sheldon

Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
> imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut full
> they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
> top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no one
> there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> tasteless... the best is made from cashew fruit. You either made that
> up too or if they're your friends they're smarmy liars also. And no
> one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> make small holes with a machette. I've been going to the Caribbean
> regularly for most of my life, I own three gorgeous waterfront homes
> there, two in Belize City, one in Corozal. Make up some more
> fercocktah stories why doncha, Pinnochio Dave.

Coco Loco
1 large fresh coconut*
1 1/2 ounces light tequila
1 ounce light rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1/2 ounce Kahlúa
3 1/2 ounces coconut water
3 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
6 ounces crushed ice
151-proof rum
1 pineapple slice, for garnish
1 maraschino cherry, for garnish
2 lime wedges, for garnish

With an ice pick, poke out two eyes of the coconut shell and drain out the
coconut water (yes, this is correct - it is not coconut milk). Cut off the
top of the coconut as you would cut off the top of a pumpkin for carving.

In a blender put tequila, light rum, dark rum, Kahlúa, fruit juices and
crushed ice. Blend until frothy and pour into the coconut shell. Pour a
small float of 151-proof rum over the top of the drink. Skewer the pieces
of fruit and stick the end of the skewer into the coconut. Serve with
straws. Serves 2 persons.

* If you prefer, you can serve this in a large compote-type glass which has
been chilled before serving.

tuppy

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Bob wrote:

> 'coconut water',

> mixed
> > >
> > > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

> coconut water
> > > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored

> rum. Sounds
> > > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

> you have
> > > never encountered it.

> > Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not

> personally
> > experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does

> not exist.
> > While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know several

> people who
> > went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the

> coconut drinks
> > they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and they

> were
> > injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

> No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
> imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut full
> they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
> top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no one
> there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> tasteless... the best is made from cashew fruit. You either made that
> up too or if they're your friends they're smarmy liars also. And no
> one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> make small holes with a machette. I've been going to the Caribbean
> regularly for most of my life, I own three gorgeous waterfront homes
> there, two in Belize City, one in Corozal. Make up some more
> fercocktah stories why doncha, Pinnochio Dave.
>
> Sheldon

Sheldon, you're almost 100% correct with regard to the use of coconut water
and the shells themselves. Where you err is that I personally have had
drinks served in a drilled coconut shells several times over the years,
mostly on cruises (Crystal and RC) but also in St. Thomas (the bars near the
tanzanite shops can be pretty enjoyable even if the shops themselves
aren't). I can't tell you that the shells are fresh or not. The drinks are
pre-made (no coconut water, just some rum, coconut milk and flavoring
something) and then pumped, literally into the shells through a tube and
served with straws.. I recall they were like a coconut rum slurpy. More
often, they usually just cut the top off with an electric saw and pour away.
Electricity for drills (and other utilities) got there more than an few
years ago as it did to your goygious, Caribbean front properties. Rand

Sheldon

tuppy wrote:
> [...]

years,
> mostly on cruises (Crystal and RC) but also in St. Thomas (the bars

near the
> tanzanite shops can be pretty enjoyable even if the shops themselves
> aren't). I can't tell you that the shells are fresh or not. The

drinks are
> pre-made (no coconut water, just some rum, coconut milk and flavoring
> something) and then pumped, literally into the shells through a tube

and
> served with straws.. I recall they were like a coconut rum slurpy.

More
> often, they usually just cut the top off with an electric saw and

pour away.
> Electricity for drills (and other utilities) got there more than an

few
> years ago as it did to your goygious, Caribbean front properties.

That's a totally different topic, you're talking serving vessels...
just about everywhere in the tropics craft folks use local produce to
to produce drink vessels, coconut shells and and hollowed pineapples
are common, same as banana leaves are used for place mats and plate
liners, often the leaf is the plate... but like you said, no coconut
water. Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it
weren't so sad. I'm 200% correct.

Sheldon

nina

Sheldon wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Bob wrote:

> 'coconut water',

for
> mixed
> > >
> > > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

> coconut water
> > > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink

which
> > > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored

> rum. Sounds
> > > like once again you deny the existence of something simply

because
> you have
> > > never encountered it.

> > Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not

> personally
> > experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does

> not exist.
> > While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know

several
> people who
> > went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the

> coconut drinks
> > they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and

they
> were
> > injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

> No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
> imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut

full
> they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
> top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no

one
> there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> tasteless..

WHAT??
Coconut water is a beloved beverage and can be found sold on most every
roadside. "coco frio" Chop off the top, insert straw and there ya go.
ITs popular enough here in PR that there is a soda, Coco Rico, that
tastes like coconut water.

http://www.elboricua.com/Cocos.html

Ken Davey

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
Sheldon wrote:
[...]

Once again the 'shel' gets it wrong.
In order to add rum (or anything else) to a fresh coconut one would first
have to remove some of the water as the nut is absolutely full!
Anybody native to the Carribean or the tropical world can *easily* pop as
small a hole as desired in a coconut with a machete.
I have seen eight-year-olds do it effortlessly.
Poor little 'shel' has obviously never seen a fresh coconut and I doubt
seriously he has ever been to the Caribbean.
Coconut water is NOT a laxative!
The immature flesh of a water coconut does (apparantly) have this property
if consumed in excess.
Coconut water is claimed to have numerous health benefits and is available
from street vendors and in the markets. People drink it frequently.
The ones 'shel' is basing his limited expertise on must be those sorry,
shrivelled and dried up things available in your average North American
market.
Get real Sheldon - or go sit under a coconut palm.

Ken.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 May 2005 04:15:47p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
> No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
> imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut full
> they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
> top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no one
> there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> tasteless... the best is made from cashew fruit. You either made that
> up too or if they're your friends they're smarmy liars also. And no
> one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> make small holes with a machette. I've been going to the Caribbean
> regularly for most of my life, I own three gorgeous waterfront homes
> there, two in Belize City, one in Corozal. Make up some more
> fercocktah stories why doncha, Pinnochio Dave.
>
> Once again the 'shel' gets it wrong.
> In order to add rum (or anything else) to a fresh coconut one would
> first have to remove some of the water as the nut is absolutely full!
> Anybody native to the Carribean or the tropical world can *easily* pop
> as small a hole as desired in a coconut with a machete.
> I have seen eight-year-olds do it effortlessly.
> Poor little 'shel' has obviously never seen a fresh coconut and I doubt
> seriously he has ever been to the Caribbean.
> Coconut water is NOT a laxative!
> The immature flesh of a water coconut does (apparantly) have this
> property if consumed in excess.
> Coconut water is claimed to have numerous health benefits and is
> available from street vendors and in the markets. People drink it
> frequently. The ones 'shel' is basing his limited expertise on must be
> those sorry, shrivelled and dried up things available in your average
> North American market.
> Get real Sheldon - or go sit under a coconut palm.
>
> Ken.

You have to remember that the problem has to do with Sheldon's head.
Similar to a coconut, it is filled with some kind of fluid. Unlike a
coconut, that fluid is not deliciously drinkable, but more than likely
****. If you shake his head, however, and it sounds more sludgy, then
it's more like SFB.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

tuppy

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> [...]

> More
> > often, they usually just cut the top off with an electric saw and

> pour away.
> > Electricity for drills (and other utilities) got there more than an

> few
> > years ago as it did to your goygious, Caribbean front properties.

> Rand
>
> That's a totally different topic, you're talking serving vessels...
> just about everywhere in the tropics craft folks use local produce to
> to produce drink vessels, coconut shells and and hollowed pineapples
> are common, same as banana leaves are used for place mats and plate
> liners, often the leaf is the plate... but like you said, no coconut
> water. Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
> water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it

To quote you exactly, "And no
> one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> make small holes with a machette.? I am sorry but I can only offer you

90% with the extra credit points. I do like the 200% concept though. Rand

Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bob wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean 'coconut

> water',
> > > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for

> mixed
> > > drinks.

> > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

> coconut water
> > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored rum.

> Sounds
> > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

> you have
> > never encountered it.
> >
> > Bob

> I never said it CANNOT be used for mixed drinks, I said it is "not"
> used for mixed drinks... I know of no mixed drink that traditionally
> uses coconut water... naturally anyone can make up some fercocktah
> mixed drink, like you just did, even the other ingredients ain't
> traditional, ain't even close... how come you forgot to make up the
> name of that drink so we can look it up... too late.
>
> Coconut water barely tastes of coconut... but it makes for a great
> laxative... you should try it, Bob. Maybe your drink contained coconut
> MILK, which is not coconut cream and is definitely not coconut water.
> And there is no coconut juice... didja ever try to squeeze a coconut...
> not the one setting on your shoulders.

Traditionally, coconut milk *is* made by squeezing fresh coconut, albeit
coconut shavings, wrapped in woven palm sheets.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
>
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > There's no such thing as "coconut juice", unless you mean 'coconut

water',
> > > the liquid found inside fresh coconuts, but that is not used for mixed
> > > drinks.

> > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but coconut

water
> > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored rum.

Sounds
> > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because you

have
> > never encountered it.

> Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not

personally
> experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does not

exist.
> While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know several

people who
> went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the coconut

drinks
> they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and they were
> injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

You mean Rum 'Jellynuts'? Usually very young coconuts, the liquid inside
which is rather gelatinous, as is some of the flesh still.

Love jellynuts ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Bob wrote:

> 'coconut water',

> mixed
> > >
> > > I agree that coconut CREAM is probably what the OP wanted, but

> coconut water
> > > certainly *is* used for mixed drinks. I recently had a drink which
> > > consisted of coconut water, vanilla schnapps, and mango-flavored

> rum. Sounds
> > > like once again you deny the existence of something simply because

> you have
> > > never encountered it.

> > Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has not

> personally
> > experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search does

> not exist.
> > While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know several

> people who
> > went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the

> coconut drinks
> > they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and they

> were
> > injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

> No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is some
> imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut full
> they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum to
> top off each coconut),

See my earlier post - they sound like what some call 'jellynuts' to me (very
young coconuts), in which case, they are quite full indeed, and are often
served with rum inside like that. First time I had one, it was served at an
African drum camp (with real, genuine, temporarily imported Africans, no
less!), second time, a Carribean music, rhythm and dance camp (again, run by
genuine imports LOL!_).

> not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative...

It has NEVER had that effect on me, my family, nor any of my friends, and
we've been using the stuff since we were kids. It *has* however been
reported to have been used during wartime as an emergency plasma infusion.

> no one
> there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> tasteless... the best is made from cashew fruit. You either made that
> up too or if they're your friends they're smarmy liars also. And no
> one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> make small holes with a machette.

In young green coconuts? Use a pointy stick, and knock it through, or as I
had them served, with the top sliced deftly off with said machette, the rum
poured in, stirred then handed over.

HTH!

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
> water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it
> weren't so sad.

I've drunk it by the half pint in summer, chilled with ice - no shits. Same
goes for most of my family, and YES IT WAS THE WATER and not milk, or
cream - we'd get it out of the damned nuts ourselves. It's good for you!

Shaun aRe

MG

have to say, I absolutely love the coconut water...tastes quite coconutty.
Have also had it at a Thai restaurant (yes, clear, very cold, with shaved
softened bits of coconut flesh in it...very refreshing and cleansing)

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
enews.net...

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
>> water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it
>> weren't so sad.

> I've drunk it by the half pint in summer, chilled with ice - no shits.
> Same
> goes for most of my family, and YES IT WAS THE WATER and not milk, or
> cream - we'd get it out of the damned nuts ourselves. It's good for you!
>

> Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

',;~}~

I just made a new post with links about drinking coconut water, and with a
ref to its use as substitute blood plasma. It's all-round good stuff!

Shaun aRe - Too many hot chiles, now, THEY give me the squits!

"MG" > wrote in message
> have to say, I absolutely love the coconut water...tastes quite coconutty.
> Have also had it at a Thai restaurant (yes, clear, very cold, with shaved
> softened bits of coconut flesh in it...very refreshing and cleansing)
>
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> enews.net...
> >
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> >> Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
> >> water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it
> >> weren't so sad.

> > I've drunk it by the half pint in summer, chilled with ice - no shits.
> > Same
> > goes for most of my family, and YES IT WAS THE WATER and not milk, or
> > cream - we'd get it out of the damned nuts ourselves. It's good for you!
> >

> > Shaun aRe

Sheldon

nina wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > 'coconut water',

> for
> > mixed

> > coconut water

> which

mango-flavored
> > rum. Sounds

> because
> > you have
> > >
> > > Never mind the Nancyboy. He seems to think that anything he has

not
> > personally
> > > experience, or more likely been unable to find on a web search

does
> > not exist.
> > > While I have never vacationed in the Caribbean myself, I know

> several
> > people who
> > > went there back in the early 70s and came back raving about the

> > coconut drinks
> > > they had down there. Holes were drilled into fresh coconuts and

> they
> > were
> > > injected with rum and sipped through a straw.

> > No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is

some
> > imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one coconut

> full
> > they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum

> > top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire vacation
> > desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative... no

> one
> > there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> > discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> > tasteless..

> WHAT??
> Coconut water is a beloved beverage and can be found sold on most

every
> roadside. "coco frio" Chop off the top, insert straw and there ya go.

So, what are you saying... Ricans are fulla shit.

> ITs popular enough here in PR that there is a soda, Coco Rico, that
> tastes like coconut water.

Tastes LIKE ain't IS, Bubba chinga.

> http://www.elboricua.com/Cocos.html

That link is for coconut MILK... typical SMARMY low IQ Rican.

Sheldon

Katra

In article ws.net>,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> ',;~}~
>
> I just made a new post with links about drinking coconut water, and with a
> ref to its use as substitute blood plasma. It's all-round good stuff!
>
> Shaun aRe - Too many hot chiles, now, THEY give me the squits!

Ouch! ;-D
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
loraine

Let me try and explain things more. Went to a smoothie bar and ordered a
non alcoholic pina colada smoothie. He made this using ice cubes, frozen
pineapple chunks, frozen banana and then added a liquied which he confirmed
was coconut flavour and resembled a cordial or syrup type liquid. We did
ask the guy what it was but being foreign he just said his boss order it.
it certainaly was not coconut milk or what we now know as coconut juice or
water. really liked the smoothie and would love to replicate this recipe at
home. Hope this is more explanatory.

Loraine

"tuppy" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > tuppy wrote:
> > > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > > oups.com...

> > for

> > which

> > mango-flavored

> > because

> > not

> > does

> > several

> > they

> > some

> > full

> > one

> > that

> > no

> > homes

> > > Sheldon, you're almost 100% correct with regard to the use of coconut

> > water
> > > and the shells themselves. Where you err is that I personally have

> > had
> > > drinks served in a drilled coconut shells several times over the

> > years,
> > > mostly on cruises (Crystal and RC) but also in St. Thomas (the bars

> > near the
> > > tanzanite shops can be pretty enjoyable even if the shops themselves
> > > aren't). I can't tell you that the shells are fresh or not. The

> > drinks are
> > > pre-made (no coconut water, just some rum, coconut milk and flavoring
> > > something) and then pumped, literally into the shells through a tube

> > and
> > > served with straws.. I recall they were like a coconut rum slurpy.

> > More
> > > often, they usually just cut the top off with an electric saw and

> > pour away.
> > > Electricity for drills (and other utilities) got there more than an

> > few
> > > years ago as it did to your goygious, Caribbean front properties.

> > Rand
> >
> > That's a totally different topic, you're talking serving vessels...
> > just about everywhere in the tropics craft folks use local produce to
> > to produce drink vessels, coconut shells and and hollowed pineapples
> > are common, same as banana leaves are used for place mats and plate
> > liners, often the leaf is the plate... but like you said, no coconut
> > water. Imagine an entire cruise ship of vacationers guzzling coconut
> > water and there's only one terlit in each cabin, it'd be funny if it
> > weren't so sad. I'm 200% correct.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> To quote you exactly, "And no
> > one drills holes in coconuts in the Caribbean, it's very difficult to
> > make small holes with a machette.? I am sorry but I can only offer you

> 90% with the extra credit points. I do like the 200% concept though.

Rand

nina

Sheldon wrote:
> nina wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:

> > > 'coconut water',

used
> > for
> > > mixed

but
> > > coconut water

> > which

> mango-flavored
> > > rum. Sounds

> > because
> > > you have

> not
> > > personally

> does
> > > not exist.

> > several
> > > people who
> > > coconut drinks

> > they
> > > were
> > >
> > > No one in the Caribean would waste rum like that... and even is

> some
> > > imbecile tourist tried it they would be so drunk after one

coconut
> > full
> > > they wouldn't be able to walk (they would need about a cup of rum

> > > top off each coconut), not to mention ruining their entire

vacation
> > > desparate to find toilets, coconut water is a great laxative...

no
> > one
> > > there drinks it except for medicinal purposes, typically it's
> > > discarded, a few natives use it to make wine but tshat wine is
> > > tasteless..

> > WHAT??
> > Coconut water is a beloved beverage and can be found sold on most

> every
> > roadside. "coco frio" Chop off the top, insert straw and there ya

go.

> So, what are you saying... Ricans are fulla shit.

Au contraire. Consuming large amounts of a laxative would make them
less fullashit,no?

> > ITs popular enough here in PR that there is a soda, Coco Rico, that
> > tastes like coconut water.

> Tastes LIKE ain't IS, Bubba chinga.

Duh.

> > http://www.elboricua.com/Cocos.html

> That link is for coconut MILK... typical SMARMY low IQ Rican.

Read more carefully.
Relevant passages copied and pasted:

"Instead, the shell itself is lined with a layer of rich, white "meat,"
and the hollow at the center is filled with a thin slightly sweet
liquid called "coconut water" that can be used as a beverage."

" The coconut water should smell of coconut and not be rancid and
should be refrigerated and used within one day."

Lynn from Fargo

I've been going to the Caribbean
> regularly for most of my life, I own three gorgeous waterfront homes
> there, two in Belize City, one in Corozal. Make up some more
> fercocktah stories why doncha, Pinnochio Dave.
>
> Sheldon

==============
OK Sheldon, though you flame us, I still love you . . . BUT
Two homes in Belize?
Quick . . . who's the American Ambassador to Belize?

Lynn from Fargo
(like the ambassador)

Sandi

They sell it as a soft drink here commercially canned - coconut water
with bits of conut flesh in it. If I'm at the Thursday or Sunday market
I can buy it from the kids who walk around with a cooler selling
bolsitas filled with ice cold coconut water and a chunk of coconut.
The alternate is the "coconut lady" - one of the fruit vendors - who
will whack one open with a machete so that just a small opening large
enough for a straw is made - and drink it right from the fruit. Fresh
coconut water is also available from any number of street vendors with
cart full of the fruit and a handy machete.

Sandi in Siguatepeque Honduras.

Bob

Sandi wrote:

> They sell it as a soft drink here commercially canned - coconut water
> with bits of conut flesh in it. If I'm at the Thursday or Sunday market
> I can buy it from the kids who walk around with a cooler selling
> bolsitas filled with ice cold coconut water and a chunk of coconut.
> The alternate is the "coconut lady" - one of the fruit vendors - who
> will whack one open with a machete so that just a small opening large
> enough for a straw is made - and drink it right from the fruit. Fresh
> coconut water is also available from any number of street vendors with
> cart full of the fruit and a handy machete.

Waaaaaiiit a minute: How do you reconcile what you wrote above with what
Sheldon wrote earlier? He said:

> coconut water is a great laxative... no one there drinks it except for
> medicinal purposes, typically it's discarded, a few natives use it to make
> wine but tshat wine is tasteless...

Are you trying to tell us that Sheldon was talking out his ass?

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 07 May 2005 07:32:01a, Bob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sandi wrote:
>
>> They sell it as a soft drink here commercially canned - coconut water
>> with bits of conut flesh in it. If I'm at the Thursday or Sunday market
>> I can buy it from the kids who walk around with a cooler selling
>> bolsitas filled with ice cold coconut water and a chunk of coconut.
>> The alternate is the "coconut lady" - one of the fruit vendors - who
>> will whack one open with a machete so that just a small opening large
>> enough for a straw is made - and drink it right from the fruit. Fresh
>> coconut water is also available from any number of street vendors with
>> cart full of the fruit and a handy machete.

> Waaaaaiiit a minute: How do you reconcile what you wrote above with what
> Sheldon wrote earlier? He said:
>
>> coconut water is a great laxative... no one there drinks it except for
>> medicinal purposes, typically it's discarded, a few natives use it to
>> make wine but tshat wine is tasteless...

> Are you trying to tell us that Sheldon was talking out his ass?

That would be mumbling and stuttering out his ass!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Shaun aRe

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article ws.net>,
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > I just made a new post with links about drinking coconut water, and with

> > ref to its use as substitute blood plasma. It's all-round good stuff!
> >
> > Shaun aRe - Too many hot chiles, now, THEY give me the squits!
> >

> Ouch! ;-D

<Wink + EG>

',;~}~

Shaun aRe