Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool bicycle
route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice! So now I
get to ride it again!

John Kuthe...

Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 9:40 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool bicycle
route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice! So now I
get to ride it again!

John Kuthe...

I like to call it coconut water. Coconut milk/cream is made by grating
the coconut and squeezing the gratings. The old guys used to use the
coconut husks to strain the milk out but nowdays it's easier to use
cheesecloth or a tee shirt.

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content. I
try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product. I'm
not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the cream
by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content of the
cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They don't make it
real easy. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:26 AM, Andy wrote:
"John wrote:

Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what
I want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
rice! So now I get to ride it again!

John,

I've never heard of coconut juice. A successful Thai chicken satay recipe
mentioned using canned coconut cream.

Carefully open the can (I forget which brand. Goya?) of coconut milk and
let it sit for an hour. The milk will separate to the top which I spoon
off, leaving the coconut cream behind, to use. Probably better
demonstrated by pouring a can into a clear glass.

I suppose the juice is a first pass drainage of coconuts?

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

In any case, ride on!

Best,

Andy

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
don't make it real easy. Good luck!

Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

Becca
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
the brand I picked up, blech.

nancy

Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:46:01 -0500, Ema Nymton
wrote:

On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
don't make it real easy. Good luck!

Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

Coco Lopez is the big brand used for cocktails. I don't know how it
is for cooking. Years ago we made a drink with it and pineapple juice
and rum. It had something else in it but it's been so long I can't
rememeber but whatever it was it was fabulous.

Lou
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
the brand I picked up, blech.

It's musty, old tasting, IMO.

It the water from inside the coconut. Many Mexican fruit stands will
chop a hole in the coconut and stick a straw in it so you can drink
the water/juice.

Coconut milk is quite different and made from shredding, pressing and
flushing the flesh.

-sw

Yes, this is what I learned when I got home and Googled "coconut juice"
which turned up "coconut water", and then I Googled "coconut milk".

I knew immediately I had purchased the wrong stuff. Girl at the cashier's
didn't know the difference. I should have asked someone else. But now I
know, very VERY well! :-)

John Kuthe...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 5:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
the brand I picked up, blech.

It's musty, old tasting, IMO.

That's a very good description. I took a couple extra glugs to
see if it got any better, but despite being cold from the
refrigerator, it was stale and unrefreshing. I'm just glad I
didn't spring for a whole 8 pack or whatever they're sold as.

It the water from inside the coconut. Many Mexican fruit stands will
chop a hole in the coconut and stick a straw in it so you can drink
the water/juice.

I'll take a pass next time I'm in Mexico. Heh.

nancy
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" wrote in message ...

You reminded me of the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks, of a scene
that he mentions the coconut milk, juice (not specified) as liquid
sustenance to some degree but it's pitifully diuretic behavior on the
digestive system.

Fact or fiction? I dunno.

I Googled it, there's some noise about coconut juice being a diuretic. One
research paper on IVcoconut juice being a diuretic that would not load for
me. :-(

John Kuthe...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:46 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
don't make it real easy. Good luck!

Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

Becca

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any particular brand that I get. I'll
try to pay more attention the next time I go shopping.

There are 4 or 5 different brands on the shelf. The last time I bought
some, the one with the highest fat content was $1.89 per can which was a
good deal. The easiest way to find the highest fat product is to
multiply the calories per servings by the number of servings per can.
The one with the highest calories has the highest fat.

I use coconut cream in Thai style curry, haupia - which is a Hawaiian
coconut pudding, and batta mochi - a rice dessert.

Coconut water seems to be the latest fad drink. My daughter has been
drinking that stuff but it all seems silly to me. OTOH, the next time I
see a box of the stuff, I'll give it a taste. There's one that's been
cluttering up my kitchen. It never occurred to me to actually drink it.
:-)

Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because
what I want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
rice! So now I get to ride it again!

John Kuthe...

Coconuts are an area of interest of mine that I've researched a good
deal. If you're interested, do some reading. The biggest health
benefit if from coconut oil - I eat a spoonful or two every day.
Coconut milk is useful in some recipes, I know, but coconut oil is great
as a dietary supplement, and it's also fine to cook with.

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Miracl.../dp/1583332049

Web site:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org

and there are many others - the book is $10 and well worth reading,
IMHO, as is another title called The Great Cholesterol Con.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Choleste.../dp/1844546101

-S-

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:47 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
the brand I picked up, blech.

nancy

I've had real coconut water before. You would think that it would have a
nice coconut taste but mostly the taste is as you described - blech.
Don't get me wrong - the people whose lives coconut water has saved
probably think it's the best water they've ever tasted.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

[...]

I think the product you describe was called "Coconut Snow." It was
pretty neat stuff - finely ground coconut meat and sugar that was
wonderful and delicate stuff. Hopefully they still make it although I
can't really use it.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 11:05 AM, Andy wrote:
wrote:

On 8/4/2011 10:26 AM, Andy wrote:
"John wrote:

Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because
what I want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
rice! So now I get to ride it again!

John,

I've never heard of coconut juice. A successful Thai chicken satay
recipe mentioned using canned coconut cream.

Carefully open the can (I forget which brand. Goya?) of coconut milk
and let it sit for an hour. The milk will separate to the top which I
spoon off, leaving the coconut cream behind, to use. Probably better
demonstrated by pouring a can into a clear glass.

I suppose the juice is a first pass drainage of coconuts?

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

dsi1,

You reminded me of the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks, of a scene
that he mentions the coconut milk, juice (not specified) as liquid
sustenance to some degree but it's pitifully diuretic behavior on the
digestive system.

Fact or fiction? I dunno.

I've never heard that this is so but it could be. I'm pretty sure that
the Tahitians carried coconuts on their voyages to Hawaii a thousand
years ago. My guess is that they drank the water they contained because
there was no need to take them for planting. They also took taro and
pigs. Where the heck did they get the pigs? :-)

Best,

Andy

Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/08/2011 5:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

Coconuts are an area of interest of mine that I've researched a good
deal. If you're interested, do some reading. The biggest health
benefit if from coconut oil - I eat a spoonful or two every day.
Coconut milk is useful in some recipes, I know, but coconut oil is great
as a dietary supplement, and it's also fine to cook with.

When I developed a heart problem I had some advice about diet. I am
supposed to eat lots of fruit..... NOT COCONUT. When I had a
consultation with the dietitian we talked about it and she dismissed all
the positive stuff on various web sites about the health benefits of
coconut as being from the promoters of coconut sales.

It's a dmaned shame because I like curries made with coconut milk.

You Coconut Juice Skylamar Asian Cooking 10 24-07-2011 05:11 PM
Coconut Juice loraine General Cooking 35 09-05-2005 12:01 PM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 05:52 AM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 05:52 AM
coconut cream/coconut milk Dave Smith General Cooking 10 03-04-2004 03:23 PM