Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!!

Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
want and need is cocoanut MILK!

I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool bicycle
route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice! So now I
get to ride it again!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 9:40 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
> want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>
> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool bicycle
> route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice! So now I
> get to ride it again!
>
> John Kuthe...

I like to call it coconut water. Coconut milk/cream is made by grating
the coconut and squeezing the gratings. The old guys used to use the
coconut husks to strain the milk out but nowdays it's easier to use
cheesecloth or a tee shirt.

Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content. I
try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product. I'm
not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the cream
by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content of the
cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They don't make it
real easy. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:26 AM, Andy wrote:
> "John > wrote:
>
>> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what
>> I want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>>
>> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
>> bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
>> rice! So now I get to ride it again!

> John,
>
> I've never heard of coconut juice. A successful Thai chicken satay recipe
> mentioned using canned coconut cream.
>
> Carefully open the can (I forget which brand. Goya?) of coconut milk and
> let it sit for an hour. The milk will separate to the top which I spoon
> off, leaving the coconut cream behind, to use. Probably better
> demonstrated by pouring a can into a clear glass.
>
> I suppose the juice is a first pass drainage of coconuts?

Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

> In any case, ride on!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
the brand I picked up, blech.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:46:01 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

>On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

Coco Lopez is the big brand used for cocktails. I don't know how it
is for cooking. Years ago we made a drink with it and pineapple juice
and rum. It had something else in it but it's been so long I can't
rememeber but whatever it was it was fabulous.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

>> It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
>> was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
>> the brand I picked up, blech.

> It's musty, old tasting, IMO.
>
> It the water from inside the coconut. Many Mexican fruit stands will
> chop a hole in the coconut and stick a straw in it so you can drink
> the water/juice.
>
> Coconut milk is quite different and made from shredding, pressing and
> flushing the flesh.
>
> -sw

Yes, this is what I learned when I got home and Googled "coconut juice"
which turned up "coconut water", and then I Googled "coconut milk".

I knew immediately I had purchased the wrong stuff. Girl at the cashier's
didn't know the difference. I should have asked someone else. But now I
know, very VERY well! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 5:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

>> It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
>> was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
>> the brand I picked up, blech.

> It's musty, old tasting, IMO.

That's a very good description. I took a couple extra glugs to
see if it got any better, but despite being cold from the
refrigerator, it was stale and unrefreshing. I'm just glad I
didn't spring for a whole 8 pack or whatever they're sold as.

> It the water from inside the coconut. Many Mexican fruit stands will
> chop a hole in the coconut and stick a straw in it so you can drink
> the water/juice.

I'll take a pass next time I'm in Mexico. Heh.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...

> You reminded me of the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks, of a scene
> that he mentions the coconut milk, juice (not specified) as liquid
> sustenance to some degree but it's pitifully diuretic behavior on the
> digestive system.
>
> Fact or fiction? I dunno.

I Googled it, there's some noise about coconut juice being a diuretic. One
research paper on IVcoconut juice being a diuretic that would not load for
me. :-(

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:46 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>
> Becca

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any particular brand that I get. I'll
try to pay more attention the next time I go shopping.

There are 4 or 5 different brands on the shelf. The last time I bought
some, the one with the highest fat content was $1.89 per can which was a
good deal. The easiest way to find the highest fat product is to
multiply the calories per servings by the number of servings per can.
The one with the highest calories has the highest fat.

I use coconut cream in Thai style curry, haupia - which is a Hawaiian
coconut pudding, and batta mochi - a rice dessert.

Coconut water seems to be the latest fad drink. My daughter has been
drinking that stuff but it all seems silly to me. OTOH, the next time I
see a box of the stuff, I'll give it a taste. There's one that's been
cluttering up my kitchen. It never occurred to me to actually drink it.
:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because
> what I want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>
> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
> bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
> rice! So now I get to ride it again!
>
> John Kuthe...

Coconuts are an area of interest of mine that I've researched a good
deal. If you're interested, do some reading. The biggest health
benefit if from coconut oil - I eat a spoonful or two every day.
Coconut milk is useful in some recipes, I know, but coconut oil is great
as a dietary supplement, and it's also fine to cook with.

Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Miracl.../dp/1583332049

Web site:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org

and there are many others - the book is $10 and well worth reading,
IMHO, as is another title called The Great Cholesterol Con.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Choleste.../dp/1844546101

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:47 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

> It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
> was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
> the brand I picked up, blech.
>
> nancy

I've had real coconut water before. You would think that it would have a
nice coconut taste but mostly the taste is as you described - blech.
Don't get me wrong - the people whose lives coconut water has saved
probably think it's the best water they've ever tasted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 11:01 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:46:01 -0500, Ema >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

> Coco Lopez is the big brand used for cocktails. I don't know how it
> is for cooking. Years ago we made a drink with it and pineapple juice
> and rum. It had something else in it but it's been so long I can't
> rememeber but whatever it was it was fabulous.
>
> Lou

I think the product you describe was called "Coconut Snow." It was
pretty neat stuff - finely ground coconut meat and sugar that was
wonderful and delicate stuff. Hopefully they still make it although I
can't really use it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 11:05 AM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:

>>> John,
>>>
>>> I've never heard of coconut juice. A successful Thai chicken satay
>>> recipe mentioned using canned coconut cream.
>>>
>>> Carefully open the can (I forget which brand. Goya?) of coconut milk
>>> and let it sit for an hour. The milk will separate to the top which I
>>> spoon off, leaving the coconut cream behind, to use. Probably better
>>> demonstrated by pouring a can into a clear glass.
>>>
>>> I suppose the juice is a first pass drainage of coconuts?

>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

> dsi1,
>
> You reminded me of the movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks, of a scene
> that he mentions the coconut milk, juice (not specified) as liquid
> sustenance to some degree but it's pitifully diuretic behavior on the
> digestive system.
>
> Fact or fiction? I dunno.

I've never heard that this is so but it could be. I'm pretty sure that
the Tahitians carried coconuts on their voyages to Hawaii a thousand
years ago. My guess is that they drank the water they contained because
there was no need to take them for planting. They also took taro and
pigs. Where the heck did they get the pigs? :-)

> Best,
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/08/2011 5:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> Coconuts are an area of interest of mine that I've researched a good
> deal. If you're interested, do some reading. The biggest health
> benefit if from coconut oil - I eat a spoonful or two every day.
> Coconut milk is useful in some recipes, I know, but coconut oil is great
> as a dietary supplement, and it's also fine to cook with.

When I developed a heart problem I had some advice about diet. I am
supposed to eat lots of fruit..... NOT COCONUT. When I had a
consultation with the dietitian we talked about it and she dismissed all
the positive stuff on various web sites about the health benefits of
coconut as being from the promoters of coconut sales.

It's a dmaned shame because I like curries made with coconut milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote:

>Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
>want and need is cocoanut MILK!

What you probably want is coconut water. Without knowing what you're
preparing no one can help you.

For coconut products you really need only one word: Goya.
http://www.goya.com/english/search/s...t=10&x=13&y=17

There's also this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco_L%C3%B3pez
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "John Kuthe" wrote:
>>
>>Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
>>want and need is cocoanut MILK!

> What you probably want is coconut water. Without knowing what you're
> preparing no one can help you.

I know no one can help me, I was just saying.

I made curried chicken, and coconut milk is the base for my curry 'gravy' as
it were. I can't use what I have and am going to take it back and exchange
it.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 10:47 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 4:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Coconuts are filled with drinkable water. This is a wonderful thing if
>> you're even on a tropical island with no fresh drinking water.

> It's all the rage these days. I bought a container last time I
> was at Whole Foods to see what the fuss is about. Maybe it's
> the brand I picked up, blech.
>
> nancy

Oddly enough, I found a container of the stuff in the refrigerator.
Pomegranate is pretty hot right now so what could be more trendier than
pomegranate/coconut water? Nothing comes to my mind except maybe a
chinchilla coat - not the kind for humans - the kind that chinchillas
wear. :-)

My daughter had bought it so I claimed the parental right to
confiscate/investigate any substance that might be dangerous/tasty/too
much fun and took a swig. I think it was definitely more yeech than
blech. I didn't pay a cent for the thing but yet I feel like I was gypped.

What the heck, the kids like it. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 5:53 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Coconuts are an area of interest of mine that I've researched a good
>> deal. If you're interested, do some reading. The biggest health
>> benefit if from coconut oil - I eat a spoonful or two every day.
>> Coconut milk is useful in some recipes, I know, but coconut oil is
>> great as a dietary supplement, and it's also fine to cook with.

> When I developed a heart problem I had some advice about diet. I am
> supposed to eat lots of fruit..... NOT COCONUT. When I had a
> consultation with the dietitian we talked about it and she dismissed
> all the positive stuff on various web sites about the health benefits
> of coconut as being from the promoters of coconut sales.
>
> It's a dmaned shame because I like curries made with coconut milk.

Get a second opinion - find a new dietician. Many health professionals
are stuck in the same "low fat is good" mindset that held sway for
decades but has been discredited by recent research.

The executive summary is this: avoid anything that says hydrogenated (or
even partially hydrogenated) oil or fat in its ingredients list, and
otherwise, make sure you get enough fat in your diet - it's good for
you. Read the reviews of the two books to which I linked in my original
message - coconut oil is about as close to a miracle food as exists.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
> want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>
> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
> bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown rice!
> So now I get to ride it again!

I thought everyone knew that? Oh and your new nesgroup provider seems to
have fixed "my" problem.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

any of these recipes would b e grateful received, Lee
"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2011 10:46 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>>
>> Becca

> I'm sorry to say that I don't have any particular brand that I get. I'll
> try to pay more attention the next time I go shopping.
>
> There are 4 or 5 different brands on the shelf. The last time I bought
> some, the one with the highest fat content was $1.89 per can which was a
> good deal. The easiest way to find the highest fat product is to multiply
> the calories per servings by the number of servings per can. The one with
> the highest calories has the highest fat.
>
> I use coconut cream in Thai style curry, haupia - which is a Hawaiian
> coconut pudding, and batta mochi - a rice dessert.
>
> Coconut water seems to be the latest fad drink. My daughter has been
> drinking that stuff but it all seems silly to me. OTOH, the next time I
> see a box of the stuff, I'll give it a taste. There's one that's been
> cluttering up my kitchen. It never occurred to me to actually drink it.
> :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:40:33 -0500, "John Kuthe"
> wrote:

> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
> want and need is cocoanut MILK!

Huh. I didn't even know you could buy that in a can... I thought you
could only crack a coconut open to get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:54:00 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I like to call it coconut water. Coconut milk/cream is made by grating
> the coconut and squeezing the gratings. The old guys used to use the
> coconut husks to strain the milk out but nowdays it's easier to use
> cheesecloth or a tee shirt.

I'm just flabbergasted that he buys it in a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 11:48:06 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I'm sorry to say that I don't have any particular brand that I get. I'll
> try to pay more attention the next time I go shopping.

Me too. NB told me that the two I usually buy are the best, but in
the mean time I've found others that cost (the latest is 79¢) and
AFAIC, they are the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young <email@replyto> wrote:

> Maybe it's the brand I picked up, blech.

I haven't even seen the processed stuff, I can only give you my
opinion of what comes out of the coconut: Yick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2011 4:32 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's the brand I picked up, blech.

> I haven't even seen the processed stuff, I can only give you my
> opinion of what comes out of the coconut: Yick.

As someone else said, I kind of expected some refreshing
coconut-ty flavor, not old stale water. I don't know why it's
so popular, I expect that won't last.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>> Now I have to ride up and return 8 cans of coconut juice, because what I
>> want and need is cocoanut MILK!
>>
>> I tend to learn best from my own mistakes! :-) But I did find a cool
>> bicycle route to Seafood City, where I buy my coconut milk and brown
>> rice! So now I get to ride it again!

> I thought everyone knew that? Oh and your new nesgroup provider seems to
> have fixed "my" problem.
>
> Paul

NOW everyone knows that! :-)

And yes, "your" problem does appear to be fixed. Sorry for the crap, I guess
we fond one more reason GoogleGroups sucks!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 4:46 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>
> Becca

I always buy Chaokoh. It seems to be the thickest, richest,
creamiest coconut milk. I have tried others but they don't
measure up.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 5:01 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:46:01 -0500, Ema >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?

> Coco Lopez is the big brand used for cocktails. I don't know how it
> is for cooking. Years ago we made a drink with it and pineapple juice
> and rum. It had something else in it but it's been so long I can't
> rememeber but whatever it was it was fabulous.
>
> Lou

That is cream of coconut. It's very thick. And it's sweetened.
It's made from coconut milk, but it's not the same as coconut milk,
which is natural and not sweetened. And then there's coconut juice/water.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2011 7:43 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/5/2011 4:32 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 16:47:31 -0400, Nancy Young<email@replyto> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it's the brand I picked up, blech.

>> I haven't even seen the processed stuff, I can only give you my
>> opinion of what comes out of the coconut: Yick.

> As someone else said, I kind of expected some refreshing
> coconut-ty flavor, not old stale water. I don't know why it's
> so popular, I expect that won't last.
>
> nancy

What you need to try is fresh coconut water right from the
coconut. You get it from young coconuts. They are full of
water. As coconuts get older the water disappears into the
coconut meat. With an older, hard coconut there is only
about a tablespoon or 2 of water left. My mother used to
make a chocolate cake with freshly grated coconut icing.
She would take that little bit of coconut water and add it
to the cake batter. Man, that was a delicious cake.

Anyway, there are a few brands of canned coconut juice (in
a can like a soda can). Some are better than others. I have
had some that are really good. And some that are not worth
drinking. Unfortunately I come across them so rarely I can't
remember which is which.

But the fresh juice from a young coconut is really good. It
has a faint coconut flavor and is slightly sweet. One of my
favorite Vietnamese restaurants serves it but not from the coconut.
It's delicious. It's usually served with strips of the coconut
meat in the glass. I'd just as soon just have the juice. I like
the meat okay but I like the juice a lot better. I have been
to restaurants that serve it in the coconut. That is a wonderful
experience.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2011 4:46 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>>
>> Becca

> I always buy Chaokoh. It seems to be the thickest, richest,
> creamiest coconut milk. I have tried others but they don't
> measure up.

Like this?

http://oi52.tinypic.com/8yyejr.jpg

I just rode up and exchanged my 8 cans of coconut water for the good stuff.
The coconut water I had bought was $0.89/can and this was $1.89.can, so the
cashier (an older Asian woman this time) just charged me the $8 difference
and we were square. She also told me this was very good stuff, and I agree!
I've purchased this before at this place, (free ad plug Seafood City in
University City MO.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2011 7:40 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> any of these recipes would b e grateful received, Lee

You axed for it - here's a link to an article on batta mochi:

http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200.../butter-mochi/

I wouldn't use her recipe though - simply because the measurements
aren't real convenient. The recipe below is the one I use most of the
time - the advantage being that I don't have to measure much. This one
uses grated coconut instead of coconut cream.

I've had it both ways and I'm pretty sure that you'd like either one.
The recipe in the link above indeed does look like a cake but it's
nothing like a cake. Feel free to add a good amount of flaked coconut to
that recipe too. Good luck!

BUTTER MOCHI
Printed from COOKS.COM
1/2 c. butter
1 (1 lb.) pkg. mochiko
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
3 c. milk
5 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flaked coconut
Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter; cool. Combine
mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. Combine butter and remaining
ingredients. Stir into mochiko mixture; mix well. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2
inch pan. Bake for 1 hour. cool. Makes 24 pieces.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks, Lee
"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/4/2011 7:40 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> any of these recipes would b e grateful received, Lee

> You axed for it - here's a link to an article on batta mochi:
>
> http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200.../butter-mochi/
>
> I wouldn't use her recipe though - simply because the measurements aren't
> real convenient. The recipe below is the one I use most of the time - the
> advantage being that I don't have to measure much. This one uses grated
> coconut instead of coconut cream.
>
> I've had it both ways and I'm pretty sure that you'd like either one. The
> recipe in the link above indeed does look like a cake but it's nothing
> like a cake. Feel free to add a good amount of flaked coconut to that
> recipe too. Good luck!
>

> BUTTER MOCHI
> Printed from COOKS.COM
> 1/2 c. butter
> 1 (1 lb.) pkg. mochiko
> 2 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. baking powder
> 3 c. milk
> 5 eggs, beaten
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 c. flaked coconut
> Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter; cool. Combine mochiko,
> sugar, and baking powder. Combine butter and remaining ingredients. Stir
> into mochiko mixture; mix well. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. Bake for
> 1 hour. cool. Makes 24 pieces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 4:46 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 8/4/2011 2:54 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Coconut cream seems to have no standards when it comes to fat content.
>>> I try to get the highest fat coconut cream that I can get. It varies
>>> considerably - obviously some manufacturers water down the product.
>>> I'm not a big fan of fat but that's what I judge the quality of the
>>> cream by. You're going to have to calculate the relative fat content
>>> of the cream by using the nutrition info on the back though. They
>>> don't make it real easy. Good luck!

>> Where I live, I have a hard time finding coconut water in any of the
>> stores. I have used Roland and Chaokoh coconut milk, plus another brand
>> that I can not remember. Which brand of coconut milk is your favorite?
>>
>> Becca

> I always buy Chaokoh. It seems to be the thickest, richest,
> creamiest coconut milk. I have tried others but they don't
> measure up.
>
> Kate

Yup. That always seems to be the one that is recommended. I can
even remember that--it is A OK!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:08:28 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 8/4/2011 11:05 AM, Andy wrote:
>> > wrote:

>> Fact or fiction? I dunno.

>I've never heard that this is so but it could be. I'm pretty sure that
>the Tahitians carried coconuts on their voyages to Hawaii a thousand
>years ago. My guess is that they drank the water they contained because
>there was no need to take them for planting. They also took taro and
>pigs. Where the heck did they get the pigs? :-)
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

Settlers to Hawaii came from the Marquesas, probably, and they brought
all the food plants and animals that they were used to. Hawaii was
quite barren and there was really nothing to eat once they landed. It
is not known if coconuts were even growing here when they arrived
about 1100 or 1200 years ago. (No recorded history:<)

They brought along pigs and everything they needed for a life
elsewhere.

aloha,
Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/4/2011 7:40 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> any of these recipes would b e grateful received, Lee

> You axed for it - here's a link to an article on batta mochi:
>
> http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200.../butter-mochi/
>
> I wouldn't use her recipe though - simply because the measurements
> aren't real convenient. The recipe below is the one I use most of the
> time - the advantage being that I don't have to measure much. This one
> uses grated coconut instead of coconut cream.
>
> I've had it both ways and I'm pretty sure that you'd like either one.
> The recipe in the link above indeed does look like a cake but it's
> nothing like a cake. Feel free to add a good amount of flaked coconut to
> that recipe too. Good luck!
>

> BUTTER MOCHI
> Printed from COOKS.COM
> 1/2 c. butter
> 1 (1 lb.) pkg. mochiko
> 2 c. sugar
> 1 tsp. baking powder
> 3 c. milk
> 5 eggs, beaten
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 c. flaked coconut
> Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter; cool. Combine
> mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. Combine butter and remaining
> ingredients. Stir into mochiko mixture; mix well. Pour into a 13 x 9 x 2
> inch pan. Bake for 1 hour. cool. Makes 24 pieces.

My daughter might like that! I don't suppose you or anyone has a
TNT recipe for a baked cake that contains sweetened red beans? I
have had a recipe for a while, but it doesn't specify the size of
the can of beans, so I eye it and then decide I can't do it as
written.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pure kona wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:08:28 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Fact or fiction? I dunno.

>> I've never heard that this is so but it could be. I'm pretty sure that
>> the Tahitians carried coconuts on their voyages to Hawaii a thousand
>> years ago. My guess is that they drank the water they contained because
>> there was no need to take them for planting. They also took taro and
>> pigs. Where the heck did they get the pigs? :-)
>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy

> Settlers to Hawaii came from the Marquesas, probably, and they brought
> all the food plants and animals that they were used to. Hawaii was
> quite barren and there was really nothing to eat once they landed. It
> is not known if coconuts were even growing here when they arrived
> about 1100 or 1200 years ago. (No recorded history:<)
>
> They brought along pigs and everything they needed for a life
> elsewhere.
>
> aloha,
> Cea

Can't coconuts ride the waves and plant themselves near the shore?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2011 3:43 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 8/4/2011 7:40 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> any of these recipes would b e grateful received, Lee

>> You axed for it - here's a link to an article on batta mochi:
>>
>> http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200.../butter-mochi/
>>
>> I wouldn't use her recipe though - simply because the measurements
>> aren't real convenient. The recipe below is the one I use most of the
>> time - the advantage being that I don't have to measure much. This one
>> uses grated coconut instead of coconut cream.
>>
>> I've had it both ways and I'm pretty sure that you'd like either one.
>> The recipe in the link above indeed does look like a cake but it's
>> nothing like a cake. Feel free to add a good amount of flaked coconut
>> to that recipe too. Good luck!
>>

>> BUTTER MOCHI
>> Printed from COOKS.COM
>> 1/2 c. butter
>> 1 (1 lb.) pkg. mochiko
>> 2 c. sugar
>> 1 tsp. baking powder
>> 3 c. milk
>> 5 eggs, beaten
>> 1 tsp. vanilla
>> 1 c. flaked coconut
>> Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter; cool. Combine
>> mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. Combine butter and remaining
>> ingredients. Stir into mochiko mixture; mix well. Pour into a 13 x 9 x
>> 2 inch pan. Bake for 1 hour. cool. Makes 24 pieces.

> My daughter might like that! I don't suppose you or anyone has a TNT
> recipe for a baked cake that contains sweetened red beans? I have had a
> recipe for a while, but it doesn't specify the size of the can of beans,
> so I eye it and then decide I can't do it as written.

It took me a while to figure out what "TNT" was. :-) My son makes a lime
fudge that's called Key Lime TNT. It calls for a quarter cup of grated
lime. My guess is that in this case, TNT doesn't mean "tried 'n true."

I don't know of any recipe but the simplest way to do this is to prepare
a sweetened pancake batter and make them about 6" in diameter, then
spread some sweetened bean paste/jam and fold in half. Oh boy! I could
go for one right now!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/2011 5:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/5/2011 3:43 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>

>>> You axed for it - here's a link to an article on batta mochi:
>>>
>>> http://www.brooklynfarmhouse.com/200.../butter-mochi/
>>>
>>> I wouldn't use her recipe though - simply because the measurements
>>> aren't real convenient. The recipe below is the one I use most of the
>>> time - the advantage being that I don't have to measure much. This one
>>> uses grated coconut instead of coconut cream.
>>>
>>> I've had it both ways and I'm pretty sure that you'd like either one.
>>> The recipe in the link above indeed does look like a cake but it's
>>> nothing like a cake. Feel free to add a good amount of flaked coconut
>>> to that recipe too. Good luck!
>>>

>>> BUTTER MOCHI
>>> Printed from COOKS.COM
>>> 1/2 c. butter
>>> 1 (1 lb.) pkg. mochiko
>>> 2 c. sugar
>>> 1 tsp. baking powder
>>> 3 c. milk
>>> 5 eggs, beaten
>>> 1 tsp. vanilla
>>> 1 c. flaked coconut
>>> Preheat electric oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter; cool. Combine
>>> mochiko, sugar, and baking powder. Combine butter and remaining
>>> ingredients. Stir into mochiko mixture; mix well. Pour into a 13 x 9 x
>>> 2 inch pan. Bake for 1 hour. cool. Makes 24 pieces.

>> My daughter might like that! I don't suppose you or anyone has a TNT
>> recipe for a baked cake that contains sweetened red beans? I have had a
>> recipe for a while, but it doesn't specify the size of the can of beans,
>> so I eye it and then decide I can't do it as written.
>>

> It took me a while to figure out what "TNT" was. :-) My son makes a lime
> fudge that's called Key Lime TNT. It calls for a quarter cup of grated
> lime. My guess is that in this case, TNT doesn't mean "tried 'n true."
>
> I don't know of any recipe but the simplest way to do this is to prepare
> a sweetened pancake batter and make them about 6" in diameter, then
> spread some sweetened bean paste/jam and fold in half. Oh boy! I could
> go for one right now!

Oops, you have to make pancakes with the pancake batter. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 21:44:36 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>> Settlers to Hawaii came from the Marquesas, probably, and they brought
>> all the food plants and animals that they were used to. Hawaii was
>> quite barren and there was really nothing to eat once they landed. It
>> is not known if coconuts were even growing here when they arrived
>> about 1100 or 1200 years ago. (No recorded history:<)
>>
>> They brought along pigs and everything they needed for a life
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> aloha,
>> Cea

>Can't coconuts ride the waves and plant themselves near the shore?

Yes, but it is not known if they reached the "most isolated place on
earth"--which is what our tiny group of islands is known as. They'd
have to really be magical--- but again, there is no history of what
was here before the travelers from the Marqueasa- found when they
arrived. Hawaii was a fairly new (geologically) place. They did bring
coconuts so we do have them- a lot of them.

aloha,
Cea

You Coconut Juice Skylamar Asian Cooking 10 24-07-2011 05:11 PM
Coconut Juice loraine General Cooking 35 09-05-2005 12:01 PM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 06:52 AM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 06:52 AM
coconut cream/coconut milk Dave Smith General Cooking 10 03-04-2004 03:23 PM