Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Blend Young Coconut Juice & Meat For A Delicious Healthful Tropical Drink

(Obviously some of you are well aware of this so this is for those who
aren't aware of it)
I've been eating more coconuts lately because of the health benefits
that I've been learning about (Dr. Mercola has good info & there are
books about the health benefits from eating coconuts and using coconut
oil). I started with the older coconuts but then recently switched to
the young coconuts because the juice tastes much better. I had been
drinking just the juice and then eating the meat seperately but because
the meat of these young coconuts is so soft I tried putting both the
juice & meat in a blender and was amazed at how good it tasted. I also
felt much more energized & my stamina was stronger (& I was less
depressed!). If you are not aware of this, young coconuts only have the
outer skin cut off but with an old coconut everything surrounding the
nut has been removed (BTW, with old coconuts the meat is more thicker
and harder).
If you are going to try it this is how I do it:
With the use of a hammer (safer to use a wooden mallet) punch a
hole (I'm currently using a thin philips screwdriver but will switch to
my ice pick when I can find it!) in the top of the coconut (with young
coconuts the three 'eyes' on the top of the shell are covered up) and
twist it around to make the hole bigger (young coconuts are easier to
puncture) then turn it over (with your finger over the hole) and place
it in a blender (doing it directly in the blender is dangerous so it is
safer to use a metal mixing bowl) and punch another hole in the bottom
and the juice easily drains out. Then with a sharp meat cleaver and
hammer/mallet put the empty coconut on a folded towel (to help keep it
still) and after centering it, with the hammer/mallet pound the cleaver
through the nut to cut it in half. The meat is fairly easy to scoop out
with a spoon (Make sure to wash the meat to clean off the hard pieces
of the shell). Blend the juice and meat together at the highest speed
until the meat is liquified as best as possible. Make sure you strain
the milk to get out any bits of shell that are left. This is a very
delicious healthful drink and I strongly recommend it.
Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sorry about the poorly worded subject title. Blended coconut juice and
beef would obviously be torturous to drink (& keep down!)!!
Mark