Default corned beef and cabbage

I am making cornbeef and cabbage even as a right this. I don't do
anything special, throw in the brisket, cabbage, potatoes, celery,
carrots, bring to boil then simmer. Is there anything a little more
imaginative in the way of spices or vegetables that I could add to make
things more interesting

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message

>I am making cornbeef and cabbage even as a right this.

What was wrong with it?

Neil

>You don't mean to say that you plan to cook the
>cabbage, potatoes, celery (?) and carrots as long
>as you're cooking the brisket, do you?
>If so . . .

I find it works well enough to start the spice bag out in cold water;
once it's boiling add the brisket; once it's back to a boil, add the
rest, in any order you please. Reduce to a simmer and keep it there.

So, yes: although it's important to get the brisket boiling for a
minute or two by itself, the vegetables can all simmer in the pot with
it for the whole two hours; they come out tender and appealing. I
don't like the idea of timing the various vegetable additives by
different clocks.

Neil

aem

Neil wrote:
> >You don't mean to say that you plan to cook the
> >cabbage, potatoes, celery (?) and carrots as long
> >as you're cooking the brisket, do you?
> >If so . . .

> I find it works well enough to start the spice bag out in cold water;
> once it's boiling add the brisket; once it's back to a boil, add the
> rest, in any order you please. Reduce to a simmer and keep it there.
>
> So, yes: although it's important to get the brisket boiling for a
> minute or two by itself, the vegetables can all simmer in the pot

with
> it for the whole two hours; they come out tender and appealing. I
> don't like the idea of timing the various vegetable additives by
> different clocks.

To each his own. After two hours of simmering, potatoes have fallen
apart, carrots are like mush and cabbage is disgusting. That's how
they did "New England Boiled Dinner" at school and it kept me from even
trying corned beef and cabbage for many years.

Instead, I put the potatoes in twenty minutes before the brisket is
done simmering, the carrots five to ten minutes later. When I have
removed the brisket, spread it with mustardy glaze and put it in the
oven, I then put cabbage wedges in the simmering liquid for five
minutes, then remove them to another pot where they finish with butter
and a touch of soy sauce. -aem

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 02 Apr 2005 04:43:35p, Neil wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>You don't mean to say that you plan to cook the
>>cabbage, potatoes, celery (?) and carrots as long
>>as you're cooking the brisket, do you?
>>If so . . .

> I find it works well enough to start the spice bag out in cold water;
> once it's boiling add the brisket; once it's back to a boil, add the
> rest, in any order you please. Reduce to a simmer and keep it there.
>
> So, yes: although it's important to get the brisket boiling for a
> minute or two by itself, the vegetables can all simmer in the pot with
> it for the whole two hours; they come out tender and appealing. I
> don't like the idea of timing the various vegetable additives by
> different clocks.
>
> Neil

Well, as they say, it takes all kinds, and I'm definitely over the edge. I
prefer cooking corned beef or brisket until it's perfectly done, then cool
and store in its own liquid. The next day I slice the meat cold to get
perfect slices, arrange in deep platter and moisten well with the cooking
liquid. Meanwhile, I cook each of the vegetables separately (potato,
carrot, onion, rutabaga, parsnip, and cabbage)in some of the cooking liquid
until each has reached it's perfect degree of doneness. At the same time I
gently reheat the sliced meat in the oven. Combine meat and all vegetables
on a large platter, brush all the vegetables with melted butter, and
garnish with fresh chopped parsley.

Call me sick...I like it this way.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 02 Apr 2005 04:43:35p
>
> Well, as they say, it takes all kinds, and I'm definitely over the

edge. I
> prefer cooking corned beef or brisket until it's perfectly done, then

cool
> and store in its own liquid. The next day I slice the meat cold to

get
> perfect slices, arrange in deep platter and moisten well with the

cooking
> liquid. Meanwhile, I cook each of the vegetables separately (potato,

> carrot, onion, rutabaga, parsnip, and cabbage)in some of the cooking

liquid
> until each has reached it's perfect degree of doneness. At the same

time I
> gently reheat the sliced meat in the oven. Combine meat and all

vegetables
> on a large platter, brush all the vegetables with melted butter, and
> garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
>
> Call me sick...I like it this way.

Terrific technique, Wayne. Perfect slices and perfectly done
vegetables.

That way results in corned beef dinner so much better than the corned
beef dinners I had growing up. The meat itself was great (no
nitrites/nitrates used in the curing) but the potatoes and
vegetables.....it was years before I discovered how good cabbage can
be.

Mac

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 02 Apr 2005 05:50:54p, aem wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Well, as they say, it takes all kinds, and I'm definitely over the
>> edge. I prefer cooking corned beef or brisket until it's perfectly
>> done, then cool and store in its own liquid. The next day I slice the
>> meat cold to get perfect slices, arrange in deep platter and moisten
>> well with the cooking liquid. Meanwhile, I cook each of the
>> vegetables separately (potato,

>> carrot, onion, rutabaga, parsnip, and cabbage)in some of the cooking
>> liquid until each has reached it's perfect degree of doneness. At the
>> same time I gently reheat the sliced meat in the oven. Combine meat
>> and all vegetables on a large platter, brush all the vegetables with
>> melted butter, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
>>
>> Call me sick...I like it this way.

> I would like that, too. What I was reacting to was the veggies boiled
> for two hours. -aem

Yup, the day I boil vegetables for two hours is the day they go from pot to
trash.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 02 Apr 2005 06:58:29p, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 02 Apr 2005 04:43:35p
>>
>> Well, as they say, it takes all kinds, and I'm definitely over the
>> edge. I prefer cooking corned beef or brisket until it's perfectly
>> done, then cool and store in its own liquid. The next day I slice the
>> meat cold to get perfect slices, arrange in deep platter and moisten
>> well with the cooking liquid. Meanwhile, I cook each of the
>> vegetables separately (potato,

>> carrot, onion, rutabaga, parsnip, and cabbage)in some of the cooking
>> liquid until each has reached it's perfect degree of doneness. At the
>> same time I gently reheat the sliced meat in the oven. Combine meat
>> and all vegetables on a large platter, brush all the vegetables with
>> melted butter, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
>>
>> Call me sick...I like it this way.

> Terrific technique, Wayne. Perfect slices and perfectly done
> vegetables.
>
> That way results in corned beef dinner so much better than the corned
> beef dinners I had growing up. The meat itself was great (no
> nitrites/nitrates used in the curing) but the potatoes and
> vegetables.....it was years before I discovered how good cabbage can
> be.
>
> Mac

Thanks, Mac. It's prettier, too. Nice brightly colored vegetables.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Neil

>Yup, the day I boil vegetables for two hours is the day they
>go from pot to trash.

We are speaking of simmering, not boiling. The principle of the
crockpot. It works. Nothing falls apart; potatoes, carrots are tender
but intact; cabbage still cabbage. It works.

Neil

Neil

>The meat itself was great (no
>nitrites/nitrates used in the curing

.. . . then you missed the whole point of corned beef!

Neil

Neil wrote:
> >The meat itself was great (no
> >nitrites/nitrates used in the curing

> . . . then you missed the whole point of corned beef!

No way. Brisket corned with no nitrites/nitrates is so far superior to
the reddish corned beef found in the stores now. The color of the
cooked beef is different (brownish) but the great difference is how
succulent and flavorful the beef is, a meat that almost literally melts
in your mouth. Great hot, great in sandwiches, and great as part of
hash.

I can't find this kind of corned brisket on the West Coast and may be
driven to emptying a good part of the fridge and corning my own.

Mac

Phred

In article .com>, wrote:
>I am making cornbeef and cabbage even as a right this. I don't do
>anything special, throw in the brisket, cabbage, potatoes, celery,
>carrots, bring to boil then simmer. Is there anything a little more
>imaginative in the way of spices or vegetables that I could add to make
>things more interesting

I had my basic "corned beef and cabbage" dinner last night. As usual,
it got cooked way too long. But isn't that what it's about anyway? A
meal where timing is not critical and you can go and do all those
"other things" while it's happening!

"Basic" is corned brisket with bay leaves, cloves, a dollop of sugar,
a bit of wine vinegar, and an onion or two added at start of cooking;
and a minimum cooking time of around 40 minutes per 500 grams of meat.

Like Neil, I used to add other vegies right from the start and I
wasn't too concerned that the onions "exfoliated" and the spuds burst.
They still tasted pretty much as expected anyway.

But since reading RFC I've become fussier. The spuds now go in about
an hour after the meat, carrots 30 minutes later, and the cabbage at
about the two hour mark -- which would be the theoretical end of
cooking of the lump of brisket I usually buy (ca. 3 lb in old money).
But, of course, as implied above, it got an extra hour or so of
*simmering* while I had another pre-dinner glass or two of red and
finished the paper.

I must admit I prefer my corned beef starting to fall apart when cut.
(Goes back to the days when previous generations of females in the
house used to press the leftovers to make a sliceable piece for
subsequent cold collations -- but my own press is buggered and they
don't seem to make them anymore).

Modern corned beef tastes like the top of a lab bench. You need long
immersion to suck out the nitrites or whatever, so I still usually
simmer for 3+ rather than 2 hours, even though the press is dead.

After serving myself "enough", the remainder of the chunk goes back
into the cooking liquid to cool. With luck, I remember to take it out
and refigerate before I go to bed.

Oh, and I knock up a simple white sauce based on one of the exfoliated
onions to chuck over the meat, carrots, etc.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Jim Davis

Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef and
cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for myself to
use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef is in the
freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or leave it. Seems
to me there ought to be a better way of using that nice piece of meat.
Looking for ideas.

snip

aem

Jim Davis wrote:
> Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef
> and cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for
> myself to use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef
> is in the freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or
> leave it. Seems to me there ought to be a better way of using that
> nice piece of meat. Looking for ideas.

Is it already corned, or regular brisket? -aem

Sheldon

Jim Davis wrote:
> Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef

and
> cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for myself

> use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef is in the
> freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or leave it.

Seems
> to me there ought to be a better way of using that nice piece of

meat.
> Looking for ideas.

Raw corned beef freezes poorly, will fall apart when cooked... contains
too much salt to freeze solidly in a home freezer... yours is already
ruined (except for the recipe below). Next time cook it first and
freeze the left overs... left over corned beef, what left overs, I've
never seen left over corned beef... that's called hash, and no matter
how much, never hangs around more than four hours.... whatever ain't
eaten for breakfast will be eaten for lunch.

Trinidad Black Bean Soup

2 cups black beans, dried
1/2 pound corned beef
2 onions,chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 stalks celery
4 green onions, chopped
bay leaf
6 cups beef stock
salt and pepper
Garnish: curls of lime zest and either lime juice or pepper wine (see
below)

Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain, discarding water, and put
beans in a large saucepan with the hunk of corned beef, onion, garlic,
parsley, thyme, celery, green onions, bay leaf, stock, and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 2 hours,
until beans are very tender.

Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf, fish out the corned beef hunk and
set aside. Lightly puree the soup, then return to the saucepan and
adjust for seasoning. Shred the corned beef and stir in. When you're
ready to serve, ladle into bowls, lace with the lime juice or pepper
wine, and top with the lime curl.

Pepper Wine: Make in advance; it keeps forever.

6 whole hot peppers
1 pint light rum or dry sherry
Mix together in a jar; cover; and let sit for 10 days. A little goes a
long way--just a few drops or so at a time in soups and sauces.
---

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 02:14:43p, Jim Davis wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef and
> cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for myself to
> use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef is in the
> freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or leave it. Seems
> to me there ought to be a better way of using that nice piece of meat.
> Looking for ideas.

If it's already corned, you can simmer gently until tender without all the
other additions, then glaze and roast it for a bit. Serve sliced with any
variety of vegetables. At that point it ceases to be a "boiled dinner".

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Jim Davis wrote:
>> Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef
>> and cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for
>> myself to use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef
>> is in the freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or
>> leave it. Seems to me there ought to be a better way of using that
>> nice piece of meat. Looking for ideas.

> Raw corned beef freezes poorly, will fall apart when cooked...
> contains too much salt to freeze solidly in a home freezer... yours
> is already ruined

(snippage)
> Sheldon

Not true. I bought mine at the beginning of March and put it in my dinky
little above the fridge freezer. I didn't cook it until AFTER St. Patrick's
day. It was frozen solid, thawed out in the fridge, cooked up nicely tender
and sliced without falling apart.

Jill

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Raw corned beef freezes poorly, will fall apart when cooked...
>> contains too much salt to freeze solidly in a home freezer... yours
>> is already ruined

>(snippage)
>> Sheldon

>Not true. I bought mine at the beginning of March and put it in my dinky
>little above the fridge freezer. I didn't cook it until AFTER St. Patrick's
>day. It was frozen solid, thawed out in the fridge, cooked up nicely tender
>and sliced without falling apart.

Come to think of it, I always freeze my corned beef, too. Crash
occasionally buys me some, just 'cause he lubs me (he hates corned beef).
I'm usually not in the mood at the time, so I toss it in the freezer. I
haven't had any problems so far.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
jmcquown

aem wrote:
> Neil wrote:
>>> You don't mean to say that you plan to cook the
>>> cabbage, potatoes, celery (?) and carrots as long
>>> as you're cooking the brisket, do you?
>>> If so . . .

>> I find it works well enough to start the spice bag out in cold water;
>> once it's boiling add the brisket; once it's back to a boil, add the
>> rest, in any order you please. Reduce to a simmer and keep it there.
>>
>> So, yes: although it's important to get the brisket boiling for a
>> minute or two by itself, the vegetables can all simmer in the pot
>> with it for the whole two hours; they come out tender and appealing.
>> I don't like the idea of timing the various vegetable additives by
>> different clocks.

> To each his own. After two hours of simmering, potatoes have fallen
> apart, carrots are like mush and cabbage is disgusting. That's how
> they did "New England Boiled Dinner" at school and it kept me from
> even trying corned beef and cabbage for many years.

I agree with you, to a point, aem. I add the potatoes and cabbage
(quartered) and I don't add carrots (hate them) at the end, but hey, more
power to anyone who likes them. I put the new potatoes and quartered
cabbage in the broth about 30 minutes. This year I didn't put a mustard
glaze on the corned beef (I didn't have any brown mustard, and wasn't
inclined to run to the store) and I don't care for brown sugar glazes. I
let the corned beef finish roasting in the oven for the last bit of time it
took to cook the potatoes and the cabbage wedges in the broth until tender.

Jill

> Instead, I put the potatoes in twenty minutes before the brisket is
> done simmering, the carrots five to ten minutes later. When I have
> removed the brisket, spread it with mustardy glaze and put it in the
> oven, I then put cabbage wedges in the simmering liquid for five
> minutes, then remove them to another pot where they finish with butter
> and a touch of soy sauce. -aem

Damsel in dis Dress

"jmcquown" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>This year I didn't put a mustard
>glaze on the corned beef (I didn't have any brown mustard, and wasn't
>inclined to run to the store) and I don't care for brown sugar glazes.

I will never, ever put a glaze of any kind on corned beef. But, this year
I dipped the corned beef in Lady Pamela's (guppy) homemade spicy German
mustard, and it was wonderful.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 06:51:58p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Jim Davis wrote:
>>> Actually I have a kind of related question. While the corned beef
>>> and cabbage was cheap as it usually is in March, I bought some for
>>> myself to use later. The cabbage I'm not worried about but the beef
>>> is in the freezer. My wife loves the stuff but I can take it or
>>> leave it. Seems to me there ought to be a better way of using that
>>> nice piece of meat. Looking for ideas.

>> Raw corned beef freezes poorly, will fall apart when cooked...
>> contains too much salt to freeze solidly in a home freezer... yours is
>> already ruined

> (snippage)
>> Sheldon

> Not true. I bought mine at the beginning of March and put it in my
> dinky little above the fridge freezer. I didn't cook it until AFTER St.
> Patrick's day. It was frozen solid, thawed out in the fridge, cooked up
> nicely tender and sliced without falling apart.
>
> Jill

As usual, Sheldon's full of crap.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

jmcquown

Neil wrote:
>> Yup, the day I boil vegetables for two hours is the day they
>> go from pot to trash.

> We are speaking of simmering, not boiling. The principle of the
> crockpot. It works. Nothing falls apart; potatoes, carrots are
> tender but intact; cabbage still cabbage. It works.
>
> Neil

The OP said nothing about a crockpot. And in my 25 years experience,
crockpots don't "simmer" as cooking on a stovetop (unless they are set on
HIGH). 2 hours to simmer potatoes, carrots and cabbage (even IN a crockpot)
would result in a nice vegetable mush.

Jill

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 07:19:22p, jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Neil wrote:
>>> Yup, the day I boil vegetables for two hours is the day they go from
>>> pot to trash.

>> We are speaking of simmering, not boiling. The principle of the
>> crockpot. It works. Nothing falls apart; potatoes, carrots are
>> tender but intact; cabbage still cabbage. It works.
>>
>> Neil

> The OP said nothing about a crockpot. And in my 25 years experience,
> crockpots don't "simmer" as cooking on a stovetop (unless they are set
> on HIGH). 2 hours to simmer potatoes, carrots and cabbage (even IN a
> crockpot) would result in a nice vegetable mush.
>
> Jill

Ten hours on LOW leave the vegetables tender but intact, and the meat
extremely tender. having said that, I prefer corned beef cooked in a
larger quantity of liquid than is practical in a crockpot.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Ten hours on LOW leave the vegetables tender but intact, and the meat
> extremely tender. having said that, I prefer corned beef cooked in a
> larger quantity of liquid than is practical in a crockpot.

Sounds like you need a bigger CrockPot AKA portable nisco roaster.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 09:30:53p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ten hours on LOW leave the vegetables tender but intact, and the meat
>> extremely tender. having said that, I prefer corned beef cooked in a
>> larger quantity of liquid than is practical in a crockpot.
>>

> Sounds like you need a bigger CrockPot AKA portable nisco roaster.

After we had the potroast for dinner tonight, that's exactly what we thought.
I think we'll be looking very soon.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> After we had the potroast for dinner tonight, that's exactly what we
> thought. I think we'll be looking very soon.

I have a biggie and regulary make soup in it. I just cook the soup in the
crockpot never sure about time, till it tastes cooked. At least 4 hours
on low.

A nice soup I got from Carol that works well in a crockPot.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

soups

6 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3-1/2 cup chicken broth
2 cup cooked wild rice; (1/2 cup raw)
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1/3 cup minced ham
3 tablespoon slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cup half and half
2 tablespoon dry sherry (opt.)

In large saucepan, melt butter; saute onion until tender. Blend in flour;
gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a
boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, carrots, ham, chopped almonds
and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. Blend in half-and-half and sherry; heat
serving temperature.

Recipe courtesty of Byerly's via Damsel In Dis Dress.

This one I have changed a lot and don't remember where I got the
original recipe

Vadalia Onion Chowder

soups

4 slices bacon -chopped bite sized; -not crumbled
2 tbsp olive oil; or use bacon fat
4 vadialia onions; sliced
2-3 cups mashed potatoes (leftovers); I used 3
4 cloves garlic; minced maybe more depending on your mood.
2 boxes chicken stock (approx 30 oz)
2 cups corn kernels (I used 2 cans)
2 bay leaf; (optional)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
fresh ground black pepper; LOTS
salt to taste
sour cream; see note*

Fry the bacon crisp. drain well the bacon and reserve. (Used as
garnish later.)
Heat oil in large pot. low medium to med heat.
Make the onions bite sized, add to pot, cook till tender, about 10 min.
Mince the garlic, add to pot, cook 1 minute or so more.
Add broth, potatoes, corn, bay leaves, thyme. Bring the soup to a boil.
Remove the pot from the heat. Remove the bay leaves. Season with
pepper.
Add sour cream.
*Note add the sour cream just before serving by the tablespoon per bowl.
This freezes better without the sour cream.
Serve in soup bowls, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
this recipe needs more garlic than called for.
Note: I just stirred the crumbled bacon in with the whole batch.
Don't be shy with the garlic.
I used some turkey Stock in with this (excellent.)
Used 5 or 6 sweet onions
6-7 potatoes served as mashed.
I Didn't have vidalia onions so i used locally grown sweet onions
instead.
I added a grated carrot for colour.
I think some brocolli florets might be nice as well

Contributor: Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 10:09:54p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> [...]

> Add broth, potatoes, corn, bay leaves, thyme. Bring the soup to a boil.
> Remove the pot from the heat. Remove the bay leaves. Season with
> pepper.
> Add sour cream.
> *Note add the sour cream just before serving by the tablespoon per bowl.
> This freezes better without the sour cream.
> Serve in soup bowls, and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top.
> this recipe needs more garlic than called for.
> Note: I just stirred the crumbled bacon in with the whole batch.
> Don't be shy with the garlic.
> I used some turkey Stock in with this (excellent.)
> Used 5 or 6 sweet onions
> 6-7 potatoes served as mashed.
> I Didn't have vidalia onions so i used locally grown sweet onions
> instead.
> I added a grated carrot for colour.
> I think some brocolli florets might be nice as well

Mmmmm... These both sound delicious! Thank you!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> Neil wrote:
>> >The meat itself was great (no
>> >nitrites/nitrates used in the curing

>> . . . then you missed the whole point of corned beef!

> No way. Brisket corned with no nitrites/nitrates is so far superior to
> the reddish corned beef found in the stores now. The color of the
> cooked beef is different (brownish) but the great difference is how
> succulent and flavorful the beef is, a meat that almost literally melts
> in your mouth. Great hot, great in sandwiches, and great as part of
> hash.
>
> I can't find this kind of corned brisket on the West Coast and may be
> driven to emptying a good part of the fridge and corning my own.

Please will you share your recipe?

Ophelia
Scotland

Jim Davis

The spices are in a little packet with it so I assume the beef is still
virgin... :-\